Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/1/14 - 9/7/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 595 by cnet128 , Gintama 509 by Bomber D Rufi
Thread Closed
Page 43 of 134 FirstFirst ... 33 41 42 43 44 45 53 93 ... LastLast

Thread: Weekly Shonen Jump [2012-2013] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 4

Scanlator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Maxy Barnard's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2012-2013] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 4

Quote Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
    What's hard to call about Kurogane being in as much danger or even more than Medaka Box? Sells like a 5th of Medaka Box and is doing just as bad in the TOC. One of them is gone in the next rounds and the other one won't survive much longer after that.
    To be fair they could both be gone at the same time. Or it could be Retsu!! or Cross Manage, even. the bottom of the TOC's been pretty jumbled of late, so I wouldn't place bets on anything being the one to die. Although I say Medaka aside, because who knows when that'll go. It's probably earned enough good will to finish out its arc

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つMOLLY༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cearon View Post
    i agree with you kaiten about the anime-ToC and sales correlations. but i also think kuroko shouldnt be taken as the exception on the subject either at least not entirely. i think its recent ranks comes from the public outbursts against the attacks on the fujimaki.(of course that might just be me, since i dont see the kuroku as anything special )
    That would depend on the news coverage of his "stalker". You can't expect everyone who buys a copy of Jump to know about such a thing and I'm sure the editorial staff isn't bothering with much detail in regards to it and why Kuroko's being pulled from Jump events.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Ikzer's Avatar
    Country
    Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that Medaka actually has some kind of To Love Ru treatment in the magazine: having good tank sales it can "afford" to be low in rankings, and that's why it's there. And it obviously won't end before the anime.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Turkey
    Post Thanks / Like

well if people on the other side of the planet knows about about it as we do, i am guessing ppl on japan would heard about it regardless of WSJ editorial department. i would say they would bank on it in usa and europe but cant make that call when it is japan. but it probably got some traction since the "stalker" threatened uninvolved people too.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つMOLLY༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

well if people on the other side of the planet knows about about it as we do, i am guessing ppl on japan would heard about it regardless of WSJ editorial department. i would say they would bank on it in usa and europe but cant make that call when it is japan. but it probably got some traction since the "stalker" threatened uninvolved people too.
    Sure, the really involved fans know about it. But the amount of people who are aware of internal things at a magazine is likely around the same in any other magazine, in any other country. The majority of readership just isn't as aware in all likelihood.

I suppose my point is that any surge in popularity Kuroko has is related more to the way any other manga gets a popularity boost. They PROBABLY aren't all sympathy votes

Country
    Turkey
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by xi0 View Post
    Sure, the really involved fans know about it. But the amount of people who are aware of internal things at a magazine is likely around the same in any other magazine, in any other country. The majority of readership just isn't as aware in all likelihood.

I suppose my point is that any surge in popularity Kuroko has is related more to the way any other manga gets a popularity boost. They PROBABLY aren't all sympathy votes
    of course it isnt. and there is no way i would say it anyway. my point was it's surge may not be all down to anime or normal means and this may have had some affect on it. though as you said it will probably be internal and will not be made public till the case is solved.they may not even ater that too thou

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Nayrael's Avatar
    Country
    Croatia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ikzer View Post
    I think that Medaka actually has some kind of To Love Ru treatment in the magazine: having good tank sales it can "afford" to be low in rankings, and that's why it's there. And it obviously won't end before the anime.
    If NuraMago thought us something, it was that Tank sales won't protect you forever (and Nura sells better than Medaka even now when its sales got devastated due to axing).

Medaka most definitely likely end before the Anime but if it continues to be in bottom, it is endangered.

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

i agree with you kaiten about the anime-ToC and sales correlations. but i also think kuroko shouldnt be taken as the exception on the subject either at least not entirely. i think its recent ranks comes from the public outbursts against the attacks on the fujimaki.(of course that might just be me, since i dont see the kuroku as anything special )
    Fujimaki did not begin receiving threats until mid-October, reported here. The anime began last April, six months earlier. Kuroko's ranks began improving in May, consistently ranking high in the top ten (and frequently top five) by June. Kuroko did not instantly begin ranking in the top five, it's rankings consistently rose along with sales, over the course of May, June, and July.

While the threats have definitely resulted in additional publicity, it would be a major stretch to attribute TOC ranking to sympathy. Kuroko has enjoyed high rankings for months now. Only one factor could possibly contribute to such sustained success: a lot of people in Japan really enjoy Kuroko, and are willing to vote for it every week. Sympathy alone is not enough to sustain success. The success of the anime probably contributed to expanding the fanbase, introducing new fans to the series.
    Last edited by Kaiten; December 12, 2012 at 06:14 PM.

9. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Turkey
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    Fujimaki did not begin receiving threats until mid-October, reported here. The anime began last April, six months earlier. Kuroko's ranks began improving in May, consistently ranking high in the top ten (and frequently top five) by June. Kuroko did not instantly begin ranking in the top five, it's rankings consistently rose along with sales, over the course of May, June, and July.

While the threats have definitely resulted in additional publicity, it would be a major stretch to attribute TOC ranking to sympathy. Kuroko has enjoyed high rankings for months now. Only one factor could possibly contribute to such sustained success: a lot of people in Japan really enjoy Kuroko, and are willing to vote for it every week. Sympathy alone is not enough to sustain success. The success of the anime probably contributed to expanding the fanbase, introducing new fans to the series.
    well it came from my lack of proper research of the toc and the threat. for some reason it seems it has been going on for so much long. but well it did clarified the air at least and yes this does make the point mute. thanks

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Let's be fair, Kuroko being at number one could be aided from a mark of solidarity, but that'd probably only the most tertiary of boosts to an already popular franchise or something

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Zeromcd's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

December 3 ~ December 9 Jump Comic sales

*1 -- *,684,299 *,684,299  - HUNTER×HUNTER 31
    *2 -- *,429,883 *,429,883  - Kuroko no Basket 20
    *4 -- *,399,278 *,399,278  - BLEACH 57
    *5 -- *,243,178 *,243,178  - Toriko 22
    *7 -- *,233,890 *,233,890  - Gintama 47
    *8 -- *,204,155 *,204,155  - REBORN! 41
    11 -- *,149,105 *,149,105  - Nurarihyon no Mago 24
    13 -- *,133,560 *,133,560  - SKET DANCE 28
    14 -- *,124,903 *,124,903  - Beelzebub 19
    15 -- *,107,271 *,107,271  - Medaka Box 18
    19 -- *,*46,778 *,*46,778  - PSI Kusuo Saiki 2
    20 -- *,*46,692 2,607,094  - ONE PIECE 68
    23 -- *,*43,312 *,*43,312  - Kochikame 183
    40 -- *,*25,889 *,387,584  - Assassination Classroom 1

13. Thanks 7 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

there's something magical in Assassclass selling almost as much over a month as bleach does in its initial week. Like, that really kinda shows what a ridiculous achievement it's managed, huh

Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Bomber D Rufi's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jagman1x3 View Post
    I can't really make it out, but... is that Gon on the Jump NEXT cover? I don't remember reading anything about HXH being in Jump NEXT, but more is always better! Unless it moves there permanently like Nura did... (although I guess we'd still get chapters more frequently that way :P).

EDIT: Alright, it's definitely Gon. Not sure what it says though, the text is really small.
    Spoiler show
    Looks like an avert for a poster or something commemorating the movie being released on January 12th. Nothing about the manga return unfortunately.
    Current projects
    Gintama (Weekly)
    Saike Once Again (Hiatus)
    Nejimaki Kagyuu (Ended)
    Kiriwoterrible (Weekly)
    Hitoribocchi no shinrakusha (Monthly)
    Majimoji Rurumo (Monthly)
    Tenshi-chan & Akuma-kun (Ended)

Requests Closed.
    requestsforrufi@gmail.com
    Read my writing here!
    http://alleycatcomics.pbworks.com/
    Now with 100% more plurk!
    http://www.plurk.com/BomberDRufi

16. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member jagman1x3's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber D Rufi View Post
    Looks like an avert for a poster or something commemorating the movie being released on January 12th. Nothing about the manga return unfortunately.
    Damn it, got my hopes up for nothing... Well, it's still likely that HXH will come back soon since they're releasing the volumes now. I can't take that many more teases, though... A poster would still be nice though. I'm buying that issue for the Ass Class stuff and the Section 459 oneshot anyway, so some Hunter X Hunter freebies are always apprecited.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Westlo's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Medaka Box is definitely on the way out... but it's winding down regardless and due to a lot of things it seems it will have a fair shake @ doing its ending.... HxH going on hiatus again, Reborn ending, Momji getting canceled as well as the anime airing probably made it safe as bricks for the meantime... but things will change...

Quote Originally Posted by Ikzer View Post
    Medaka sells nowhere near as well as To Love Ru did....

Quote Originally Posted by Righteous View Post
    Shouldn't the anime be helping boost Medaka's popularity? I remember when the Kuruko anime came out that helped it out a lot. Hopefully it doesn't get canceled.
    The anime has done jack shit, season 1 flopped, the manga tanks have remained static, the TOC Rankings remain in freefall from it's peak (Kumagawa arc into the Treasure Hunt) and the 3rd popularity poll just passed had a decrease in votes from 14xxx to 11xxx. As much as Kuroko is a great example (Ao no Exorcist would be better...) of what an anime can do for you Medaka Box is just the opposite.

Thread Closed
Page 43 of 134 FirstFirst ... 33 41 42 43 44 45 53 93 ... LastLast