Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 515 by kewl0210
Thread Closed
Page 56 of 134 FirstFirst ... 6 46 54 55 56 57 58 66 106 ... LastLast

Thread: Weekly Shonen Jump [2012-2013] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 4

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2012-2013] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 4

What about Detective Conan? Over 100 million copies sold, and a defining manga/anime franchise.

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    What about Detective Conan? Over 100 million copies sold, and a defining manga/anime franchise.
    actually it may be famous, but not on a level of dbz, naruto, op and bleach.
    i believe it reached a max of around 500k per volume, so the huge amount comes with its running time. there are many more other exceptions like death note and so on.

i just believe that these super techniques add a bonus flares that supports the fandom in its beginning, especially with kids. later they will favor the series over time because of their experiences with it in their childhood. only having a super technique doesn't make it a super hit of course. my theory is also as reasonable as saying that the main character needs to be pure hearted, have spiky hair, eating enormous amounts of meat and so on, which the latter things doesn't add a believe conclusion for success.

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Asgaroth View Post
    actually it may be famous, but not on a level of dbz, naruto, op and bleach.
    i believe it reached a max of around 500k per volume, so the huge amount comes with its running time. there are many more other exceptions like death note and so on.

i just believe that these super techniques add a bonus flares that supports the fandom in its beginning, especially with kids. later they will favor the series over time because of their experiences with it in their childhood. only having a super technique doesn't make it a super hit of course. my theory is also as reasonable as saying that the main character needs to be pure hearted, have spiky hair, eating enormous amounts of meat and so on, which the latter things doesn't add a believe conclusion for success.
    Please stop speaking of that which you don't know. You may not be familiar with Conan, but your ignorance does not change the fact that it is an institution in Japan, one of the most famous, popular manga of all time. In reality, action is not the dominant genre you think it is. Kimi ni Todoke, a shoujo romance manga, sells as well as Naruto. Before ending in 2010, Naruto was handily outsold by Nodame Cantabile, a josei manga about classical music students. Only One Piece outsold Nana, a shoujo melodrama, before it went on indefinite hiatus in 2009. Nana actually was close to One Piece in sales, at least at the time. Stop mistaking your own ignorance for fact.
    Last edited by Kaiten; January 06, 2013 at 08:06 PM.

5. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member leokiko's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Detective Conan is also one of my favorite mangas of all time, due to that I've come to realize that it's freaking famous in Japan, specially the anime. Glad to see that.

Scanlator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Maxy Barnard's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Kaiten's on the money here. The one thing I keep trying to drill into people is that online opinion could not be more disparate to reality. The amount of series that get cult followings on here but no-one responds to in Japan is astonishing, and it does tend to work the other way round as well. Detective Conan doesn't exactly do too shamefully in western markets (after all, Viz is somehow still releasing it), and in Japan it's a pretty huge touchstone. You think detective series, you think Conan. It's a legend in the same respect Kochikame, Hajime no Ippo or JoJo are legends, all cornerstones for what they are, synonymous with genre and massively impacting on the scene.

Like... people online don't really rate Kochikame, because outside of some best of material and the 15 or so chapters Ataru did before going off to follow his dreams, it's not exposed. Yet it's still immense as heck. It's like that. Except people online do do Conan, so it doesn't quite mean the same thing. Ah whatever I'm not as good at these sorts of things as Kaiten. Back to sweetness and light.

I know it's only a 5-year one, but I'm hoping we get some cool stuff for this anniversary of Jump. Another set of posters would be nice, or just more bonus content like the Jump Pirate bonus stuff we had last issue. I just want nice things to ogle.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Zeromcd's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

December 24 ~ December 30 Jump Comic sales - (Top 30 only)

*1 -- *,619,064 *,619,064  - HUNTER×HUNTER 32
    *2 -- *,574,373 *,574,373  - Naruto 63
    *5 -- *,200,626 *,200,626  - Assassination Classroom 2
    14 -- *,*62,695 *,957,039  - HUNTER×HUNTER 31
    27 -- *,*38,758 2,724,125  - One Piece 67

The top 50 list will be out tomorrow morning. The newly released volumes (Hunter 32, Naruto 63, Assclass 2) sold less than usual because they only had 3 days worth of sales on their debut week.

The December 31 ~ January 6 list will be out early Thursday.

---------- Post added at 09:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:15 PM ----------

Jump Paku
    There will be five cities in Japan this year that will be hosting a special event in commemoration of the 4th anniversary of Weekly Shonen Jump.

An exhibit will be featured where you can view signed colour pages for popular series from the past 45 years, and non signed colour pages and cool scenes from the current WSJ series lineup.

This event will sell several rare items for most of the current WSJ series, and also feature special attractions for seven series: One Piece, Naruto, Toriko, Nisekoi, Haikyuu!!, PSI Kusuo Saiki, and Assassination Classroom

Note: There will be nothing related to or have anything to do with Kuroko no Basket at any of the events.
    Last edited by Zeromcd; January 07, 2013 at 06:10 AM.

9. Thanks 9 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Newkerzy's Avatar
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zeromcd View Post

The top 50 list will be out tomorrow morning. The newly released volumes (Hunter 32, Naruto 63, Assclass 2) sold less than usual because they only had 3 days worth of sales on their debut week.

The December 31 ~ January 6 list will be out early Thursday.

---------- Post added at 09:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:15 PM ----------

Jump Paku
    There will be 5 cities in Japan this year that will be hosting a special event in commemoration of Weekly Shonen Jumps 45th anniversary.

An exhibit will be featured where you can view signed colour pages for popular series from the past 45 years, and non signed colour pages and cool scenes from the current WSJ series lineup.

This event will sell several rare items and also feature special attractions for 7 series: One Piece, Naruto, Toriko, Nisekoi, Haikyuu!!, PSI Kusuo Saiki, and Assassination Classroom

Note: There will be nothing related to or have anything to do with Kuroko no Basket at any of the events.
    No love for Bleach??

The 7 Dragons Of Fiore

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Asgaroth View Post
    Although this is true, isn't the only thing that obtain the success, especially a GREAT success. In Jump have been serialized maaaany tipical and generic shonen that meet these characteristics, but most are canceled, even faster. Kagijin or Sensei no Bulge, for examples, look like to have all the necessary. Sometimes, can be only lucky, but not always. And maintain the success isn't easy either, remember Saint Seiya or Shaman King.

In the case of One Piece, hasn't just interested to adults who follow it for 15 years, its readers have increased, and and a high percentage are adults that couldn't know it previously. It goes beyond a simple commercial phenomenon, it wouldn't be surprising if left in the memory of japanese society like Astroboy, with the addition of current merchandising... Monstrous, that's scary.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    There are big sales data from other no Jump's manga? I have curiosity.
    Last edited by DestyNova4th; January 07, 2013 at 07:40 AM.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member DraMas26's Avatar
    Country
    Albania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zeromcd View Post

Out of curiosity, what do these asteriks mean? Do they mean anything at all? Are they used to represent an unknown digit? Or are they just negligible? I see figures like this on 2ch. all the time and they stump me.
    Last edited by DraMas26; January 07, 2013 at 07:52 AM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Zeromcd's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DraMas26 View Post
    Out of curiosity, what do these asteriks mean? Do they mean anything at all? Are they used to represent an unknown digit? Or are they just negligible? I see figures like this on 2ch. all the time and they stump me.
    They make all the numbers line up vertically making it look nice and straight. It doesn't look very nice without them:

Quote Quote:
    1 -- ,619,064 *,619,064  - HUNTER×HUNTER 32
    2 -- ,574,373 ,574,373  - Naruto 63
    5 -- ,200,626 ,200,626  - Assassination Classroom 2
    14 -- ,62,695 ,957,039  - HUNTER×HUNTER 31
    27 -- ,38,758 2,724,125  - One Piece 67

14. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member FanOfAniManga's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DraMas26 View Post
    They're for filling in the digits that aren't used because the number is too small to be in the millions, hundred thousands or so. It's sort of like how older airport destination signs flip their destinations and you have all those empty spaces for cities with shorter names:
    http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/thumbla...1152r1QIVh.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Newkerzy View Post
    No love for Bleach??
    No new volume for Bleach until early March, unless maybe you were expecting the one released in December to keep selling high weekly after a month.

Maybe what it's been through in the past few months hadn't really shone enough for the demand.
    Last edited by FanOfAniManga; January 07, 2013 at 08:18 AM.
    Check out these Wikis for info on select Jump manga:
    - ASSASSINATION CLASSROOM
    - BEELZEBUB
    - WORLD TRIGGER

Questions, comments or suggestions?
    Send a PM here, or an e-mail at fanofanimanga @gmail.com.

Intl Translator 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner PEDROKUE's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Is this rankin from 24~31?!

Cause if it's the sale for 3 days, it's a nice job of AK Again.
    Last edited by PEDROKUE; January 07, 2013 at 08:39 AM.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Schabrak's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Not every shop is closed around christmas, so it's not just three days.
    Twitter - Firm but Fair

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it was ment they went on sale only the 28th.

19. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member TXC's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

It doesn't mean much but still HXH selling a bit better in the first 3 days than naruto is great to see.

Thread Closed
Page 56 of 134 FirstFirst ... 6 46 54 55 56 57 58 66 106 ... LastLast