Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 592 by BadKarma , Gintama 506 (2)
Thread Closed
Page 79 of 134 FirstFirst ... 29 69 77 78 79 80 81 89 129 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,185 of 2002

Thread: Weekly Shonen Jump [2012-2013] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 4

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member FanOfAniManga's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2012-2013] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 4

I hope I'm not too late in joining the discussion about the state of battle manga in Jump. Someone just found a YouTube video here. Like the guy in the video, I'm always on the lookout for the next big things in manga, and he almost completely describes what I think of how battle manga is doing at the moment. The state of battle (and maybe action) manga in Jump is definitely being threatened.

Spoiler show

If anything above sounds like complete BS, I'll be more than happy to stay off the forum for awhile.
    Last edited by FanOfAniManga; February 03, 2013 at 02:49 AM.
    Check out these Wikis for info on select Jump manga:
    - ALL YOU NEED IS KILL
    - ASSASSINATION CLASSROOM
    - BEELZEBUB
    - ILLEGAL RARE
    - WORLD TRIGGER

Questions, comments or suggestions?
    Send a PM here, or an e-mail at fanofanimanga @gmail.com.

2. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Akira Amano will publish news of 22p, Warashibe Tantei - Numa Shichiro in Miracle Jump # 13 (26/02).

4. Thanks 5 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 5 Member(s) likes this post
    Scanlator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Maxy Barnard's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Okay let's talk battle manga. It's a lot more reasonable to accept the falling out of favour me then with jump readers when you decide all the failures just weren't very good. But there does seem to be a clear indication that there are other factors in play. For one, all the recent failures haven' been as solidly hybrid as most successes. I mean toriko is comical,nura was supernatural and so was psyren. Though that's just splitting hairs as to what's genre and what's setting, so ignore me. It seems to me most failures were content to sit on battle cliche and died for their sins.
    But then what counts as a battle manga nowadays? Like buso renkin, that seemed battle driven, but it served more to fuel the rom com between boy and battle girl. Genres tricky like that especially in jump, where two of its biggest series are considered battle titles despite heavy comedy stylings (dragon ball and one piece)

Can you tell I'm rusty at these ramblings?

6. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Teeba's Avatar
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think the "battle manga" is going through some kind of crisis. I just think its going through a process of reinvention. I find it very hard to believe that battle manga are losing their hype altogether, or that people are yearning for something that is not "battle manga". So I agree to an extent with Max -- its not the battle manga that Jump readers/editors have a problem with, but rather the cliches that come with it. I know it sounds simple, but manga, like with any product, needs a little uniqueness in order to sell.

I also think battle manga is redefining itself by becoming more aware of its social and political environment. We live in the world of Wikileaks, of liveblogging journalism, and reality tv show franchises. The manga-reading generation that Jump want to target are more aware of the factors that cause hostility and bigotry; they understand how beautifully messed up the world is more so than their parents did. And they want a battle manga that speaks to them of those things. I know it sounds cliche, and this could apply to any kind of narrative-based entertainment, but I really think that's what it boils down to.

And now I'm going to be subjective: I think perspective is everything. Personally I think a lot of battle manga tend to glorify the conflict while forgetting to question the act itself. It's not so easily resolved by making the opponents monsters, or making them virtual instead of real. I suppose this is why a lot of battle manga go down the route of "the enemy was a victim of unforseen circumstances", to make us understand its not so black-and-white. But I think if you spin an interesting enough question of why people engage in battle, the manga will be well-received more.

/braces herself

8. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 12 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

In my opinion, it isn't only (but too) a matter of originality or reinvention of the genre. One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, Reborn! In the last decade, they have monopolized the audience of battle manga in the journal. Reborn! over, but now is Toriko. It is necessary to end a big one so that news battle manga have chances.

P.D.-Takamagahara was a very poor start, but as opposed to Sensei no Bulge and Hungry Joker, the characters and powers had sleeper potential. Moreover, from Golden Future Cup 2011, Tsukimi no Soba could have been a interesting rom-com/battle manga, and the author has an attractive drawing.
    Last edited by DestyNova4th; February 03, 2013 at 01:47 PM.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I don't know if the cliche is a sufficient explanation. Take Nanatsu no Taizai (yeah I know, I'm "pumping" this serie a lot lately, but it's because it is worth it :-). It's only a few chapters and they are definitively a lot of clichés in it. But the magic works nonetheless and it will certainly be next big battle manga hit for Shonen Magazine. I think the problem of Jump titles were that those clichés were not really natural, in the case of Bulge for example the family thing was so forced that it was ridiculous

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe it's a simple market correction. There was an action bubble, with more series debuting than fans could possibly support. Fans might have liked the new series, but not enough to vote for them. Each questionnaire only allows three votes, after all. Too many series were canceled, the genre was already well represented, so the editors began adding new series from different genres instead.

Cliches don't seem to bother people. That's always the common complaint, that the popular stuff is unoriginal, the original stuff never gets popular. The medium doesn't seem to matter, the sentiment is always the same. There are no doubt some manga were rejected just because they were poorly written, cliche ridden, unoriginal, or simply boring. But plenty of current Jump manga are poorly written, cliche ridden, unoriginal, and boring.

12. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member gananime's Avatar
    Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

Didn't zeromcd say that we'll be having an early release of Jump this week? So can we expect the TOC today?

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member DraMas26's Avatar
    Country
    Albania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gananime View Post
    Didn't zeromcd say that we'll be having an early release of Jump this week? So can we expect the TOC today?
    More likely tommorow than today.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Animeace's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Special Subway promotion at Ikebukuro Station for the release of the 21st volume of Kuroko no Baskue in Japan

to commemorate the occasion there holding a lottery a select number of applicants that purchase a ticket will be chosen to receive a one size fits all T-Shirt

Quote Quote:

藤巻忠俊「黒子のバスケ」の最新21巻が、本日2月4日に発売された。これを記念し、藤巻の描き下ろしイラストを使用したTシャツが抽選で965名にプレゼントされる。

Tシャツはフリーサイズで、主人公・黒子テツヤのイラストを使用したもの。応募には21巻帯に付いている応募券が必要となる。応募の詳細は帯にて確認しよう。締め切りは3月4日。

また本日よりJR池袋駅では「黒子のバスケ」のポスターを大々的に掲出中。キセキの世代や火神大我、「海常vs誠凛」の特大ポスターが展開されている。またJR中野駅や東京メトロ・新宿駅などでも「黒子のバスケ」ポスターを掲出中だ。

16. Thanks 8 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Zeromcd's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Spoiler show

Jump Issue #11 Bottom 5
    ?????
    ?????
    ?????
    Rookie Policewoman Kiruko-san
    ?????

18. Thanks 14 Member(s) thanked this post
    Scanlator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Maxy Barnard's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

BOOOOO c'mon now varying factors that determine a series' position within Jump! DO BETTER!

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Speaking of battle manga, World Trigger comes out this upcoming issue right? I'm a sucker for sci-fi action series (especially after Psyren which again to me the last mindblowingly good action series to come out of Jump in the last few years, Toriko non-withstanding) so I'm really curious to see how that one goes. But yeah while I can agree to some extent that the more recent battle manga series have had some quality issues, for the most part as I've mentioned before, Jump action series very rarely hit it out of the ballpark in the very beginning of the series, and gradually get good over time.

Of course there has to be some kind of consistency in those early chapters(and Hungry Joker has had some obvious issues with that), but it really does suddenly feel like Jump battle manga are expected to be super interesting right out of the gate when(at least in my experience) it doesn't happen enough even with the ones that last, that people should be expecting it so often.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Another problem with Battle Mangas is the value of power. We read One Piece with several ultra attacks that destroy whole castles. Now a new series begins and seeing the Main Character cutting a simple tree isn't exciting enough. We already saw more. So many action series already start with a huge power, like the new hit from Weekly Shounen Magazine, Nanatsu no Taizai. He already is the leader of a famous and powerful group of knights and don't need any training.

Even bleach had less counts in all the training arcs, because reader dislike them, at least it looks like it. A new series would need to start with such a arc or already use powerful main characters, which could destroy later developments. Just guess how ridiculous DB would have been if Goku started as powerful as it ended.

Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kewl0210's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Asgaroth View Post
    Another problem with Battle Mangas is the value of power. We read One Piece with several ultra attacks that destroy whole castles. Now a new series begins and seeing the Main Character cutting a simple tree isn't exciting enough. We already saw more. So many action series already start with a huge power, like the new hit from Weekly Shounen Magazine, Nanatsu no Taizai. He already is the leader of a famous and powerful group of knights and don't need any training.

Even bleach had less counts in all the training arcs, because reader dislike them, at least it looks like it. A new series would need to start with such a arc or already use powerful main characters, which could destroy later developments. Just guess how ridiculous DB would have been if Goku started as powerful as it ended.
    Yeah, but One Piece and all of those came out long after Dragonball came out. And we all know how high and ridiculous the power levels got by the end of that. Compared to that, One Piece is downright calm. The reason those big things are impressive is because you can compare them to what's been established so far as normal. You can certainly still have smaller levels of power, you just need to set the setting of the story to show why they're impressive.

23. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
Thread Closed
Page 79 of 134 FirstFirst ... 29 69 77 78 79 80 81 89 129 ... LastLast