Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 592 by BadKarma , Gintama 506 (2)
Thread Closed
Page 83 of 134 FirstFirst ... 33 73 81 82 83 84 85 93 133 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,245 of 2002

Thread: Weekly Shonen Jump [2012-2013] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 4

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2012-2013] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 4

World Trigger chapter 1 has been scanlated for those who wants to get a look at it.

2. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I was trying to resist the temptation and wait till the US release was out but my curiosity got the better of me. I'll probably end up reading that version anyway since the translations for the fan scanlation were so-so.

That aside I like it so far. The art is pretty good, and the action scenes were done nicely. I didn't think the series would start off with the aliens having already "invaded" in a sense so I was a bit worried it would get into monster of the week territory for a while there, but the last page of the chapter has me hopefully that things will take a more interesting direction very quickly.

I also liked the twist towards the end of the chapter where
    Spoiler show

Overall I think it's off to a pretty awesome start and I see a bit more promise here than in Hungry Joker even though I do still sort of like that series. Hopefully this will stay interesting and won't tank.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

i quite enjoyed the first chapter. the development was quite generic and the story itself is nothing new, but on the other hand, it wasn't bad as many recent action series. i liked the action and thought the picture composition was done really well.

i really hope that the mangaka choose to reach out another setup than monster of the week style, which could make the next installments repetitive.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Zeromcd's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

I never usually drop a Jump series at chapter 1, but both Edison & World Trigger were so bad I just had to.

Looking foward to the next round of new series

Banned 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Most new series are just lacking that wow factor the characer designs dont catch your interest when Naruto Bleach OP exct.. first where realesed it got your attention from the get go none of these new series are doing that for me. There world views are smaller in comparioson no adventure usually taking place in high school setting and what not you want to have big sucess you cant limit yourself like that.
    Last edited by Liger Zero; February 08, 2013 at 10:19 AM.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

it's true that many new series are limited to high school settings + monsters, instead of creating their own world with its own rule, which are on the other hand harder to explain right from the bat. explaining to much in the beginning could make it hard to follow and be bored to read, it also need a huge time to invest into a universe that could be canceled within 20 chapters. who knows what the editors tell their rookies to work on. there are enough ridiculous beginnings of gag mangas that turn into battle in the long run, just because editors picked a theme that they thought would most suit the magazine/lineup,

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Asgaroth View Post
    it's true that many new series are limited to high school settings + monsters, instead of creating their own world with its own rule, which are on the other hand harder to explain right from the bat. explaining to much in the beginning could make it hard to follow and be bored to read, it also need a huge time to invest into a universe that could be canceled within 20 chapters. who knows what the editors tell their rookies to work on. there are enough ridiculous beginnings of gag mangas that turn into battle in the long run, just because editors picked a theme that they thought would most suit the magazine/lineup,
    Which is why often big series in the present and past like say Bleach ,Yu Yu hakusho and Hunter X Hunter would start off in a familiar setting human world average person that is then exposed to something or some event. Like spirt world, demons, or what not..

I believe similar set ups can still work It's all in the presentation you just dont want to be over the top for the start. Need strong original characters that are driven by some goal.

Like you say it's hit or miss but I believe thats all the more reason for editors to let the authors have the freedom to do what they want thats why they have one shots they can make adjustments based on the reception they get nefore serialazation..

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

The surveys say that robots, moe girls and tentacels are trending, so all new series need to feature these. thats how it is currently and probably ever was. the only creative freedom you will get of those big corporation is when you are successful enough and they need you more than you need them.

we will see if trigger goes this route and let the characters explore the outside world. it would be interesting to see it on this route instead of several incidents with monster at school/hometown.

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

What's wrong with high school manga? I'd take Nisekoi a million times over magical ninja and shinigami. I'm dying for a Nisekoi anime, hopefully with J.C. Staff or A-1 in charge. KyoAni might be a little too much to ask, but that would be a truly epic combo. Nisekoi is not too far off from their usual style. Spare me though the nonsense that school/slice of life manga are somehow less creative than action. It's insulting to those of us with broader taste in manga. Your taste is nobodies business. If you don't like a genre, don't read it. But making general statements based on genre and setting is incredibly ignorant, and superficial. If you can not judge a series based on it's own individual merits, then you have no business speaking. Get with reality. If the last few years have taught us anything it is that genre does not effect popularity in Jump. Good series succeed no matter their genre. Look at Kuroko, HQ, Nisekoi, and Assassination Classroom. Failure has never been determined by genre either, plenty of series from every genre have been canceled. I promise, both are far more original than anything in Jump, save maybe One Piece and Hunter x Hunter.

---------- Post added at 12:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 PM ----------

And when are people going to learn the difference between novelty and creativity? A creative author can make even the most prosaic genre interesting. I am a Hero is a brilliant manga, despite the fact that there a trillion other zombie stories out there. Is the genre original? No. As an individual title though, it is among the most original, creative current manga. Anyone who would judge it based on genre alone would miss out on something brilliant. Same goes for Blade of the Immortal. Tokugawa Era samurai stories are a cliche of Japanese entertainment, the equivalent of American Westerns. Despite that, Blade of the Immortal is one of the most creative examples of the genre, astute readers will recognize how the mangaka turns the genre on it's head. Again, judged only by genre, there is nothing original about Blade of the Immortal's setting or genre.

11. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like

The surveys say that robots, moe girls and tentacels are trending, so all new series need to feature these. thats how it is currently and probably ever was. the only creative freedom you will get of those big corporation is when you are successful enough and they need you more than you need them.

we will see if trigger goes this route and let the characters explore the outside world. it would be interesting to see it on this route instead of several incidents with monster at school/hometown.
    I think is quite the opposite, I mean Toriyama didnt got to finish Dragon ball when he wanted to, when Shueisha needed him he kinda lost his creative freedom to finish it when he felt like finish it..
    But one of JUMP's weirdest, most creative endings is the WSJ run of Shaman King, now that was creative freedom, Takei could do whatever he felt like doing since Shueisha couldn't care. Of course as long as it was apt material for a Shonen magazine.

Then we have Togashi who doesn't give a damn about it and actually had the balls to end serialization when he wanted to.

And Nisekoi by KyoAni, damn that would be sweet <3

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Since when is Nisekoi an adventure manga ? They are saying that adventure manga tends to have a high school setting rather than their own worlds. That may no be correct either but please don't change the topic.
    Last edited by Kaiten; February 08, 2013 at 02:11 PM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The surveys say that robots, moe girls and tentacels are trending,
    Put all those together and you have your garden varriety ecchi harremLOL Well I can honestly say the robot genre is the last unexplored frontier besides Dr.Slump and Cyborg 009 there really hasnt been some big super adventure/battle manga. I would love to see someone attempt it.

Quote Quote:
    so all new series need to feature these. thats how it is currently and probably ever was. the only creative freedom you will get of those big corporation is when you are successful enough and they need you more than you need them.

The one thing I liked about World Trigger is that it had a quick pace and there's room for the story concept to expand like you say. Like those diifferent dimensions/gate the Navers come from if you really want to stop them from invading you need to go the source hopping around different worlds would be cool.

Have to say tho the artwork needs to be improved character designs are average at best and look stiff at moments I dont know if it will hold the readers in long enough.

Lol I was targeting any so specific I like nisekoi just speaking in general Asgaroth got what i was trying to say. Kaiten you are way to Analytical of everything you approach everything as a debate can two ppl not have a casual conversation. You need to loosen up why so deffensive.. You wander why it's always the same group of ppl chatting in here cause new members are afraid to post you are so picky. Even if your not trying to be
    Last edited by Liger Zero; February 08, 2013 at 01:37 PM.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    What's wrong with high school manga? ... It's insulting to those of us with broader taste in manga.
    Sorry, but once again you missed the point by far. I know it was kinda hard to distinguish without EXACTLY pointing the obvious out, but the whole talk was about adventure mangas that tend to take place in a high school, not about mangas in general.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つMOLLY༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member xi0's Avatar
    Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k-dom View Post
    Since when is Nisekoi an adventure manga ? They are saying that adventure manga tends to have a high school setting rather than their own worlds. That may no be correct either but please don't change the topic.
    I think it was a misunderstanding, but I believe his point is that settings for a series don't automatically mean anything. Long-running manga can take many twists and turns irrespective of where they started out. And even if they don't change too much, that forming opinions on a series based on setting only is just stupid. There's nothing wrong with having personal preferences though, in my opinion. There's a difference between appreciating a manga and being a fan of it, but a series should be judged on it's own merits with everything in mind, instead of whether it's set in school or in outer space.
    Last edited by xi0; February 08, 2013 at 03:30 PM.

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, but once again you missed the point by far. I know it was kinda hard to distinguish without EXACTLY pointing the obvious out, but the whole talk was about adventure mangas that tend to take place in a high school, not about mangas in general.
    Where did you, or anyone, indicate you were only discussing action manga? "New manga", "high school", "monsters", "moe girls", and "tentacels" (sic) are not the exclusive domain of action manga. How was I to know discussion had not become more general, just because previous comments were about World Trigger. Context is needed when discussing something as specific as a single genre. Without context, expect misunderstandings. Just because the conversation returns to a subject, does not mean it was restricted to that subject.

Nevertheless my point remains the same. Setting (and genre) has nothing to do with quality. A novel setting (or characters) is not enough to improve a poor story. A more traditional setting can't hurt a good story. There are many ways to creatively exploit traditional settings, genres, and characterizations. All that really matters is the skill with which a writer tells the story. As xi0 said, there is nothing wrong with preferring something over another. That's a matter of personal taste. While superficial, if anyone wants to judge a story based only on setting, character types, and genre is none of my business. It is wrong though to create an objective critique based only on these qualities. Based on those standards The Godfather is just another gangster movie, and The Seven Samurai but another samurai film. If judged solely on the basis of setting, genre, and character types both movies are cliche ridden and unoriginal. In reality they are two of the greatest movies ever made, changing the standards of acting, directing, and cinematography forever. Seven Samurai is not just another samurai movie, it is one of the first movies ever to use a wide angle lense. Kurasawa Akira forever changed the way movies are filmed. Nearly all of his movies are samurai films set during the Warring States era. If setting and genre meant anything, he made terrible, unoriginal movies. I'm sorry if I misunderstood the discussion. Even if I did, my point still stands. Setting shouldn't matter, neither should genre or character. An interesting, original world and fulfilling story can take place anywhere.
    Last edited by Kaiten; February 08, 2013 at 03:04 PM.

18. Like 4 Member(s) likes this post
Thread Closed
Page 83 of 134 FirstFirst ... 33 73 81 82 83 84 85 93 133 ... LastLast