Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 601 by BadKarma , Gintama 515 (2)
Thread Closed
Page 111 of 134 FirstFirst ... 11 61 101 109 110 111 112 113 121 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,665 of 2002

Thread: Weekly Shonen Jump [2012-2013] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 4

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Israel
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2012-2013] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 4

It's great to see that what's getting the most attention in VS is Stealth Symphony yet with all the different genres the characters are from I can't imagine what kind of world it will be like, my guess is somewhere close to Get Backers or a team of detectives...wonder what the mask does as well.

Also do you think next week is the announcement about the air date of the 2nd season of Kuorko Anime?
    Last edited by susanoo13; March 13, 2013 at 03:26 PM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Stark700's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Bleach ranking should be based on 523.

Interesting ToC though.

3. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Zeromcd's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

March 4 ~ March 10 Jump Comic Sales

*1 -- 1,842,220 2,247,140  - ONE PIECE 69
    *2 -- *,429,693 *,432,196  - BLEACH 58
    *3 -- *,327,856 *,377,478  - Assassination Classroom 3
    *4 -- *,257,637 *,258,527  - REBORN! 42
    *6 -- *,187,276 *,188,041  - Nurarihyon no Mago 25
    *7 -- *,165,663 *,166,271  - Haikyuu!! 5
    *8 -- *,146,837 *,147,476  - Beelzebub 20
    *9 -- *,131,859 *,132,191  - Nisekoi 6
    25 -- *,*28,938 2,922,756  - ONE PIECE 68
    27 -- *,*27,511 *,684,889  - Assassination Classroom 1
    29 -- *,*26,826 *,583,102  - Assassination Classroom 2
    45 -- *,*20,212 *,599,637  - Kuroko no Basket 21

Rookie Policewoman Kiruko-san 1, Cross Manage 1, Date-senpai 2 did not rank in the top 50. Based on Oosakaya and other sales data, they should have sold something like this:

Cross Manage 1: 14,000~16,000
    Rookie Policewoman Kiruko-san 1: 8000~10,000
    Retsu!! Date-senpai 2: Less than 5000

---------- Post added at 11:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 AM ----------

My current predictions for volume 1 releases in April based off early pre-order data:

Shokugeki no Souma 1: 80,000~100,000
    Hungry Joker 1: Less than 10,000
    Last edited by Zeromcd; March 13, 2013 at 08:39 PM.

5. Thanks 15 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member wintercry's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mistgyu View Post
    Hello, what does the first image (cover) says ?
    Bump

Can someone translate the cover and the movie ad title color page.

7. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member TXC's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

If souma ends up selling 100k first week we have another hit in our sight sure hope so.

Nisekoi and Hk!! are still selling more by each volume. With AssClass killing it. So many new hits lately after magico and enigma barely passing 50k :P

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Zeromcd's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Also, for anyone curious about how popular Koisuru Edison and World Trigger are on twitter...... they're both not doing very well.

The amount of tweets they get per day is around the same as Retsu!!! Date-senpai, Tamagahara, Sensei no Bulge, and Hungry Joker.

10. Thanks 4 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Translator 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member lynxian's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wintercry View Post
    Bump

Can someone translate the cover and the movie ad title color page.
    I'm feeling nice, so:

The cover says "past and future cross paths on the silver screen."

As for the movie ad...

Opening simultaneously nationwide on July 6th!!
    This is the movie follow-up report you've been waiting for!!
    This magazine's first visuals from the 2nd Gintama movie adaptation
    Relevant news:
    - BS Japan will be airing "The Very Best of Gintama-san" late night every Thursday beginning April 4th at 1:58AM.
    - Kagura's got a boyfriend?! Gin-san's panic-filled "Gintama" volume 48, the latest from Jump Comics, is super popular and on sale now
    - Advance tickets for the movie will begin selling on March 23rd. The first will be given a special clear file.
    - There will be special info on March 24th's broadcast of Fuji TV's "Hoko x Tate". Sorachi-sensei (!?) will rush to help out in a battle of "Dragonball actors vs. Dragonball mania"!? Check the official movie twitter account @ gintamamovie
    - Don't forget about the Gintama animeeeeee!! It airs every Thursday night on TXN at 6PM
    - Gintama goods are really hot this year! Check Gintama PR for info -> @GINTAMA_PR

12. Thanks 9 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member FanOfAniManga's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I just drank some aqua regia...

Even if some of you may hate me, please don't come to hate my serious predictions on the trends of WSJ manga surviving over time, but since chapter 1, I've been bracing for World Trigger to end.

Quite a few people online are starting to like the series because we're starting to get into some serious combat. Apart from the chapter names constantly repeating themselves after characters' names and Kuga's erratic behaviour, I've always found it very odd that half of the main cast STILL aren't introduced (the left half of the four characters on the chapter 1 cover). I don't know if they're supposed to be a big reveal or something, but it's definitely one thing making the storyline very slow-paced. And that's one of the biggest problems with World Trigger.

The slow pace is a double-edged sword for new manga series. It can allow the story to develop deeply, but it can also limit its ability to catch new readers' attentions. For example, you have an manga like AC, where you have a slow introduction to a strange alien teacher out to destroy the world and yet, prefer first to teach a classroom for a year for reasons unknown. Somehow, it manages to be immensely popular with a vast majority of people. Enigma and ST&RS were also slow-paced to a lesser extent as well, gradually introducing us to the inner workings of the e-test and getting to Mars, respectively. Meanwhile, you have Bulge, slowly introducing us the world around Industria, and yet readers didn't care enough for it.

I think one of the main reasons people aren't interested in some slow-paced manga series that seem to have a lot of potential is because they don't even have an end goal planned well enough. At least by having an end goal, at worst, it'd limit the storyline to a certain length before it starts to go rotten. For example, Enigma and ST&RS had end goals: finishing the e-test and landing on Mars, respectively. Afterwards, they fell flat because they had nothing to offer beyond these main goals. Other times, you have manga that can divert reader attention to secondary goals or follow-ups, allowing the manga to run longer, like One Piece or Naruto. With its slow character development, AC's already focusing on so many enriched secondary goals. Whether or not it'll have a good follow-up to the Earth's destruction a year later is unknown, but it's not unlikely it can. Bulge's end goal for the main characters was rather vague, the cliched type where peace is brought to mankind. What resulted was a manga that ended nowhere close to finishing its vague goal. World Trigger looks like it's about to follow the same path too.

Finally, it seems like slow-paced manga that don't last long aren't just absent of a firm end goal, but also rely mainly on bombarding us on big reveals, which mean nothing when the manga is new and undeveloped; there's little to no CONTEXT behind them. For Bulge, you have Astro revealing himself to the King as an impostor to the real prince, which doesn't answer the follow-up question: Why should we care if he has the audacity to reveal his true self? In World Trigger, you have Kuga revealed to be a Neighbor, but why should we care about his family's background? Also, why should we care about what Border does? We're only given a few pages description at the beginning to understand what they do, and it's certainly not compelling enough to draw the average reader in.

I don't think this over-reliance on big reveals is a problem only for new manga series, but for manga that have already progressed at least a little in between. For instance, Enigma's first arc fell flat on its climax because the main antagonist was introduced as an innocent friend to the main character only FIVE chapters before being revealed as the big bad villain, which doesn't allow a satisfactory big reveal. Bulge had the same problem too, revealing Mr. Black as Astro's strong and caring father TWO TO FOUR chapters before revealing him as the main villain, making the reveal feel very cliched. Meanwhile, you have manga like AC with a big reveal on the first chapter, introducing us to a strange alien out of nowhere, but it answers the follow-up questions: Why should we care about his quirkiness? Why should we care about his superpowers? It's because apparently, he has a traumatizing history bound gradually to unfold, and for some reason, he has this twisted personality of caring so much about a certain class of students and generally treating people around him with such courtesy before planning on destroying the world. I guess these big reveals come back to the editorial pressures of Jump, where, if you don't have something flashy for us readers and editors right from chapter 1, you're not going to get our approval to continue developing whatever you may have. After all, who knows if your developments are just a pile of sham?

I guess the main question a mangaka needs to ask themselves in order to write a successful manga is "Why?". Why should we care about your manga? Why should we bother to read it beyond the first chapter? And with such a selective magazine, the mangaka better have that question answered before chapter 1 gets published. I think that's what separates the exceptional mangaka, like Matsui and Oda, from the mediocre. I guess it's also what defines the expression "doing your homework".

Come to think about it, this reminds me of a TED talk I peeked through months ago on why some businesses fail and others succeed. I wouldn't know how to apply the "Golden Circle" here, but at least the "Why" aspect of a manga's first chapter is still significantly more important than the "How" or "What" aspects, whatever they may be. Maybe I'll try it another time.

I realize my prediction on manga isn't perfectly developed because I've only been following WSJ for less than 3 years, and for some reason, I have a hard time getting myself to try new series, but for now, this is what I have, and I hope it's worth something to note.
    Last edited by FanOfAniManga; March 14, 2013 at 07:10 PM.
    Check out these Wikis for info on select Jump manga:
    - ASSASSINATION CLASSROOM
    - BEELZEBUB
    - WORLD TRIGGER

Questions, comments or suggestions?
    Send a PM here, or an e-mail at fanofanimanga @gmail.com.

14. Like 8 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member 101nemesis's Avatar
    Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

Great to see Bleach up there again. And the current volume seemed to have sold more in the 1st week as opposed to the last 2 volumes.
    We are the fortunate ones
    Who've never faced oppression's gun
    We are the fortunate ones
    Imitations of REBELLION

Linkin Park - The Hunting Party

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member clydu94's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Bleach is winning this week.

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Winning what?

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Allback's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Koisuru Edison begins to be ranked next week, is not it?
    http://mangahelpers.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic171761_1.gif

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Shinuki no Reborn's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Allback View Post
    Koisuru Edison begins to be ranked next week, is not it?
    yep

20. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Schabrak's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    Winning what?
    I assume the most page views due to no Naruto/OP. :P
    Last edited by Schabrak; March 16, 2013 at 10:51 AM. Reason: dat S
    Twitter - Firm but Fair

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Schabrak View Post
    I asume the most page views due to no Naruto/OP. :P
    That's all? I was hoping Bleach would win a prize - a trophy, maybe a commemorative t-shirt, or something.

Thread Closed
Page 111 of 134 FirstFirst ... 11 61 101 109 110 111 112 113 121 ... LastLast