Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 595 (2)
Thread Closed
Page 130 of 134 FirstFirst ... 30 80 120 128 129 130 131 132 ... LastLast
Results 1,936 to 1,950 of 2002

Thread: Weekly Shonen Jump [2012-2013] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 4

MH's Best Artist 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2012-2013] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 4

Quote Originally Posted by Asgaroth View Post
    DN was the same, but ended rather short. Of course it was stretched but stretching the series after the 1 year span would break its neck. its the part that makes it interesting and in one of the last chapters was a remark regarding - 9months left (within the manga) - or something similar.
    Matsui already confirmed that he will continue the story as planned despite the huge success.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like

@Googlz_kun:
    Again, not an avid Ass Class reader so I don't really know what is it about, but from comments I guess it has something to do with a year-time constraint?
    Ok, so Matsui is going to continue as planned and if the manga says that 9 months (in manga time) are left so if Matsui continues at this pacing, he has been covering a month manga time for each 3 months in real life, so that gives us 36 months worth of time for a whole year in Ass Class manga, but that's only considering if Matsui continues at this pace..

I mean, we also have to take into account that there are arcs which only last a day, the classic example would be Saint Seiya's 12 Houses Arc in where the heroes of the story have to travel through the 12 Houses each house (well not all of 'em..) being guarded by a Gold Saint (each representing a Zodiac constellation) and go to the last house looking for the Pope, all of that in 12 hours.
    Then more modern arcs that have happened in only one day Enies Lobby, War arc in OP, I am not sure but isn't this the same case in Naruto's war?

I mean you can't really get an estimate of how much a year IRL would mean manga wise.
    You have titles like DB which in 42 volumes spawn like... Dunno, 30 years in their world? While Prince of Tennis has the same amount of volumes and was only like 1 year in manga time.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted FrostyMouse's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by perroloco View Post
    @Frosty mouse:
    Death Note is pretty much the only exception I can't think of.. Well apart from Toriyama's mangas which he plans to finish in one tankobon, every SJ manga is basically developed to be a multimedia franchise.. Which DN was, I mean you can't get more multimedia than a blockbuster movie, an anime, a game, and your manga selling like crazy..

And there are cases where the authors have said that they didn't had a lot of the story planned, Oda has said the series was going to finish on its fifth year (Likely he had planned to end it in Alabasta), Toriyama has said that he didn't plan for DB to be that long, Watsuki (ruroken) said he didn't thought Kenshin was going to continue (He basically thought Kenshin was gonna be cancelled like at the first year), Kishimoto didn't even had planned the idea of Sasuke (and the Uchiha clan) and IMO had only planned the very first arc which was very different and its almost stand-alone.
    But they still continued doing their series, one way or another, they just made more arcs, and IMO (Without berating sport manga) its easier to continue sport manga, you just present new cool-looking, bishoneny, fan-service, likeable characters to the fujo--- I mean audience and that's it, you got yourself a sequel/next arc.

Which one do you think is easier to do for say for 8 years of weekly releases? Death Note or Cross Manage?
    I am not saying making a sport-manga is easier, or anything, the more respect to the authors, but I think having a series with the premise of Death Note running for a long time would have been very hard, at least without a drop in quality (Heck, you could say it did "drop" in quality after volume 8 IIRC)
    I mean in DN they had all the rules and psychological tricks that they had to think each week, one ponders how mystery mangas like Detective Conan or.. Kindaichi IIRC? get to continue for this long, I mean if they were monthlies, fine, but they are weeklies!

One clear example of this is Prince of Tennis, you must have noticed how the author foreshadowed things to come, for example Kirihara being at Seigaku at like chapter 20 or so in the manga, Yukimura being in the hospital and not playing was like a huge indicator of a future rematch with their captain.. Of course PoT had its good amount of ass-pulls to like Hyotei being in the nationals -.-
    DN wasn't necessarily. The way that they describe it in Bakuman, they wanted to tell their story, but the editors forced them to extend it so that the anime wouldn't start airing AFTER the manga had ended.

It's always possible to continue stories, and except for one or two, such as DN, it doesn't come off as forced. We had all thought that Fairy Tail was nearing its end, but then we got the reveal of the "top four Saints who are 'gods,' " so it's entirely possible to extend things.

I think that making any sports manga is easier is to do than something unique like Death Note. As you mentioned, you can always just show new characters and your sports manga can continue. ES21 continued after the Christmas Bowl, but the World Arc was awful. I do say that DN dropped in quality after volume 8, if that is the correct volume number.

Clearly I've noticed, given my avatar. I'm a huge fan of PoT/SPoT. Indeed, Akaya gets off the bus late and ends up at Seigaku, although that's pretty far to have missed the bus stop by. Admittedly, Akaya's a bit deluded, as he twice says that, "I'll be the one to defeat Tezuka," but that's part of his character. We don't actually see Yukimura at first, but later on, yes, it's clear (right before the Kantou Finals) that we'd eventually see Yuki play. Konomi often did pander to the fangirls, such as the bringing back of Atobe for the Nationals.

SPoT's literally become King of Tennis as Atobe has had the most, and best, matches so far. Konomi can also change anything on a whim. It was understandable when Oni became No. 5, but then power up after power up in the last few months seemed a bit of a stretch.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member FanOfAniManga's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by perroloco View Post
    @Googlz_kun:
    Again, not an avid Ass Class reader so I don't really know what is it about, but from comments I guess it has something to do with a year-time constraint?
    Ok, so Matsui is going to continue as planned and if the manga says that 9 months (in manga time) are left so if Matsui continues at this pacing, he has been covering a month manga time for each 3 months in real life, so that gives us 36 months worth of time for a whole year in Ass Class manga, but that's only considering if Matsui continues at this pace..
    Actually, it's more like the manga went through 9 months of IRL time (July 2012-March 2013) to go through 4 months of storyline (March-June). So assuming the pace stays the same all the way, it's actually more like 18 IRL months left, or about December 2014 IRL before Korosensei destroys the Earth.
    Check out these Wikis for info on select Jump manga:
    - ASSASSINATION CLASSROOM
    - BEELZEBUB
    - WORLD TRIGGER

Questions, comments or suggestions?
    Send a PM here, or an e-mail at fanofanimanga @gmail.com.

Country
    Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like

Of course there are lots of ways to continue a manga without it looking forced, as you mentioned Fairy Tail's "4 God saints" are a great example, I mean we knew Juura was one of the 10 Saint Magicians (Something like that, right?) but we never knew that like the top 4 were that overpowered, but then again there was also a God Slayer character, wasn't it? So you have to wonder, isn't this kinda incorrect, did Mashima made a mistake in power levels (If you are a God Slayer it means that well.. You killed a God, which in turns make you stronger than a God.. Basically)

Also another example BLEACH, I mean I know I said is an ass-pull, but at the same time it isn't, like I know Kubo still has plot to explain, but I mean now Ichigo is like half Quincy, half Hollow, half human.. -.-

And about DN continuing, I mean I definetly could see it could have continued with some random idea...
    -The King of Death was observing everything and he was enjoying it and now he sends 3 DNs to earth, one in Africa to a slave kid, one in NY to a kid that was bullied, one to a prisoner in North Corea.. You got yourself a new story, I mean its about Death Notes, and it certaintly doesn't feature L or Light but the name of the manga is Death Note, and it would continue with the theme of the manga. And yeah, it would seem like an ass-pull, but I would bet people would still read that.

-IIRC they burnt the DN, well, if Ohba wanted to maybe they wouldn't have burnt it and like thousands of years from the current time an organization is looking for it, like kind of like the Dragon Balls and you can implement psychological warfare and stuff like that..

Or having prequels involving L cases, but Ohba probably feel like that was it, I mean there were things that were left unexplained like the King of Death..

And yeah, most JUMP manga *heck, most manga* could continue, some NEED a continuation like Hikaru no Go or Slam DUNK. Some had LOTS of potential plots unresolved like Yu Yu Hakusho.

But when you think about it MOST popular mangas tend to get spin-offs and/or continuations, old series like Harenchi Gakuen, Mazinger, Dokonjo Gaeru (to a lesser extent, the author tried to make a sequel but.. it just had lost its popularity or something, it failed), COBRA, Kinnikuman, Ring Ni Kakero, Captain Tsubasa and plenty more popular manga have had sequels.. I would say 8 out of 10 popular JUMP mangas have had sequels after they finish their WSJ serialization.

More recent examples include To Love Ru, Prince of Tennis, Bobobo, Rurouni Kenshin, Kinnikuman (The first generation), Saint Seiya (Next Dimension, direct sequel to the original), the Yu-gi-oh! series, Ninku, Nube, Makibao, etc.

But most of these series weren't as long as today's jugernauts, like most of these series were 30 volumes long, Dragon Ball had 42 volumes and that was considered a loooong number of volumes back then (IIRC the only other manga with more volumes was Kochikame, then followed by Jojo and Rokudenashi).
    But I would think it wouldn't be crazy to one day see a Reborn or Nurarihyon sequel, likely in SQ.

@Fanofanimanga Oh, thanks for the correction
    I wouldn't bet on the pace continuing like that, I think the manga should enter a semi-big to big arc at one moment, there is so much you can do with short daily arcs.. Though I wouldn't know, haven't read it lol.
    Last edited by perroloco; April 10, 2013 at 10:29 AM.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Estranho's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Saying that the editors forced the mangakas to keep doing their stories is a little... strange. Sounds like the authors had no choice, which I think is incorrect.
    Ohba and Obata chose to continue the story by themselves; if they didn't wanted to, they wouldn't. Of course they probably received a lot of money and privileges to do so, but it's always the author's choice to decide to continue or not. Takehiko Inoue's Slam Dunk is there to prove it; or you think the editors just said "Do you wanna finish it now? Oh, ok."?
    The told low quality of the second part of DN (I don't agree with that, but a lot of people say it), and the quality of any other series that went further than should, like Eyeshield 21, it isn't Shonen Jump's fault; it's the author's. They needed to chose between the quality of the manga or more money, and they choose the second option (which I'm not judging; I would choose money too btw). The editors just... "asked" for it, with a lot of money, probably.
    Blog and weekly podcast about mangas in portuguese, check it out!

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Nemesis's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Nisekoi in top 5. Great. <3

Country
    Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like

@Estranho:
    Of course the editors don't force mangaka to continue their work, its the yakuzas!

Joking aside, Togashi is a good example also, he doesn't feel like continuing its manga, he ends it. He feels like doing a monthly in a weekly magazine? No problemo! He suddenly feels like he doesn't quite like to work anymore? Oh well take breaks whenever you feel like it, Togashi-sensei!

I mean I imagine a similar scenario to Hinomaru and Yoshida from Bakuman, he certainly didn't forced Hinomaru to continue but he had very fishy methods.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

the thing is that editor can't force the mangaka. how should they do it? he he doesn't draw, then the editor can't change it. they could only not publish an ending if they would want to let it continue, but can't change the fact, that the mangaka wants it to end. the only thing that they can do is convince the manga with several things or threaten them, to never get a chance at it again. but even that would i doubt. the dn duo could easily find another publisher if they wanted. i guess it something that change over time.

in the beginning the mangaka needs the approval of the editor to get chances and over time its the other way around. sounds like the way every industry works ^^

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member FanOfAniManga's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh man. Sorry, perro. I messed up counting the months. You were already right about the storyline lasting three months long (April-June).
    Check out these Wikis for info on select Jump manga:
    - ASSASSINATION CLASSROOM
    - BEELZEBUB
    - WORLD TRIGGER

Questions, comments or suggestions?
    Send a PM here, or an e-mail at fanofanimanga @gmail.com.

11. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member vinceled's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

I started thinking about it when seeing chapter 20, but after reading ch21 raw, it seems Hungry Joker is finally wrapping up. The chapter title is "Humans vs. Gods". Also the term "hungry joker" is used for the second time in the series (first time being ch20 when we learned it is a code name for a plan). The name concerns a power up (by pill absorption) by the Eureka adaptor to be able to go against the Mavro at full power from the start.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

is more than clear that hj will end. the arc teased with the name itself and a battle against gods sounds exxagerated, to be toped again. also the bad rankings show a clear sign that the manga itself has not much life left in it. on the other hand wouldn't that mean that the recent infos about cross manage ending and the new obata series be false?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Zeromcd's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Jump Issue #21 Information
    Absent: Naruto

---------- Post added at 06:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:54 AM ----------

April 1 - April 7 Jump Comic Sales
    *1. - 648,836 - 648,836 - Naruto 64
    *6. - 110,263 - 110,263 - Sket Dance 30
    *9. - *80,840 - *80,840 - Medaka Box 20
    12. - *71,367 - *71,367 - Shokugeki no Souma 1
    16. - *52,671 - 2,802,957 - One Piece 69
    20. - *32,774 - *32,774 - Kurogane 8
    21. - *32,089 - *32,089 - Kochikame 185
    25. - *26,082 - 561,831 - Assassination Classroom 3
    42. - *17,654 - 770,618 - Assassination Classroom 1
    44. - *17,458 - 666,475 - Assassination Classroom 2

Shokugeki had major stock issues and will be getting a reprint on the 18th. I ordered my copy the hour it was available to order in Australia and it was already sold out
    Last edited by Zeromcd; April 10, 2013 at 03:13 PM.

15. Thanks 5 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like

Zeromcd, sorry to be a bother but any new info on the Project vs J characters?
    Was there really supposed to be a reveal in this issue?

Translator 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member lynxian's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Something cute from the official Haikyuu!! twitter account:

Quote Quote:
    4月22日発売「週刊少年ジャンプ」21号には、とじ込み付録「Jオールスターズfeat.殺せんせーシール」が付いてきます!ジャンプ主人公が全員まさかの「暗殺教室」の殺せんせー化!もちろん、うちの日向も…。あまりにも衝撃的な1枚をどうぞ!
    Issue 21 of “Weekly Shounen Jump”, which goes on sale April 22nd, will include a special “Jump All Stars feat. Korosensei stickers” supplement! The Jump protagonists have all been changed into Korosensei of “Assassination Classroom”! Of course, that includes our very own Hinata… Here’s part of the shocking result!

18. Thanks 7 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
Thread Closed
Page 130 of 134 FirstFirst ... 30 80 120 128 129 130 131 132 ... LastLast