Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 504 by Bomber D Rufi , Bleach 589 by BadKarma
Thread Closed
Page 132 of 134 FirstFirst ... 32 82 122 130 131 132 133 134 LastLast
Results 1,966 to 1,980 of 2002

Thread: Weekly Shonen Jump [2012-2013] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 4

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member FanOfAniManga's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2012-2013] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 4

Quote Originally Posted by Divinenega View Post
    What has me curious is that World Trigger for the moment seems to be doing decent. Sure it's only ranked a couple of times so it's too early to tell anything, but given that 2ch apparently didn't have much interest in it and I haven't seen much talk about it in general I figured it would crash and burn right out of the gate.
    According to zeromcd about a month ago, World Trigger also didn't do well on Twitter, having about as many daily tweets as Bulge, Date, Takamagahara and HJ. So yes, World Trigger sustaining a decent position on the ToC and (so far) doing better than Bulge and HJ is a pleasant surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyyao82 View Post
    What makes Soma good? I'm thinking about getting into the series soon.
    Summed up in one equation:
    Cooking + ecchi =
    Last edited by FanOfAniManga; April 11, 2013 at 08:27 PM.
    Check out these Wikis for info on select Jump manga:
    - ALL YOU NEED IS KILL
    - ASSASSINATION CLASSROOM
    - BEELZEBUB
    - ILLEGAL RARE
    - WORLD TRIGGER

Questions, comments or suggestions?
    Send a PM here, or an e-mail at fanofanimanga @gmail.com.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Eru13's Avatar
    Country
    Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like

Hungry Joker is having a reprint on the 30th
    Kiruko is having one two, but I don't know the exact date for this one

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member nyamonyamo's Avatar
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I've seen people lament about naruto bleach etc being drag too long for its own good storywise.
    Why don't people ever complaint about kochikame being there?
    Is it some sort of honorary manga or something? Hardly anyone reads it internationally and it doesnt span any merchandise or game (recently anyway)
    maybe jump is trrying to get into world record or something? longest running manga or oldest mangaka

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member FanOfAniManga's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nyamonyamo View Post
    I've seen people lament about naruto bleach etc being drag too long for its own good storywise.
    Is it some sort of honorary manga or something? Hardly anyone reads it internationally and it doesnt span any merchandise or game (recently anyway)
    maybe jump is trrying to get into world record or something? longest running manga or oldest mangaka
    The reason no one complains is because nobody knows specifically what there is to complain about, apart from its pure length. Whereas Naruto and Bleach have a story English-speaking audiences can understand and scrutinize in great detail, from what I've heard, Kochikame relies on Japanese puns and cultural in-jokes even the best of translators won't understand. Also, Naruto and Bleach stretch out for long story arcs, but Kochikame is supposed to have a more episodic format.

I remember someone called it the Simpsons of WSJ manga, as it's apparently a classic among the readers, if not honorary.

It's already taken the world record for longest running manga, with 36 years going on 37 No it hasn't; Golgo 13 has the record at 44 years and counting. But it still has the most number of volumes released. You could also say it's taken the world record for the longest name of a manga. :P

Strangely enough, there are a few people around trying to bring attention to Kochikame to the English readers. Maybe once someone starts scanlating the series, we can all come up with more valid reasons as to why we're all jelly of Kochikame.
    Last edited by FanOfAniManga; April 12, 2013 at 04:13 PM.
    Check out these Wikis for info on select Jump manga:
    - ALL YOU NEED IS KILL
    - ASSASSINATION CLASSROOM
    - BEELZEBUB
    - ILLEGAL RARE
    - WORLD TRIGGER

Questions, comments or suggestions?
    Send a PM here, or an e-mail at fanofanimanga @gmail.com.

5. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Horosho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The international market doesn't count. Less than a percent of total sales. Only the domestic Japanese market matters. And in Japa, Kochikame is a beloved classic. There is a statue of the main character in Tokyo, marking the location where the story takes place. It is one of the best selling series in manga history.

Last edited by Kaiten; April 11, 2013 at 11:53 PM.

7. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 4 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member HalcyonDigest's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Reprints huh? Anybody know how many volumes HJ and Kiruko have sold?

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member MiyamotoMusashi's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe because Kochikame is an episodic manga that mostly deals with current news in a rather funny way?

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by naruto-niichan View Post
    The whole talk about when this or that series gets canceled is preposterous. Nothing is for certain so I wonder what exactly gives people the confidence to say "Oh yeah it will be cancelled in one year like all the other bad ranking series, lulz". History has shown that it's impossible to say for sure which series are going to get canceled and that bad rankings (+ average sales) don't mark it's end, necessarily. The most recent example is Kuroko no Basket, which was at the bottom for almost it's entire serialization and still survived somehow. I bet the guys at Jump are really pleased what became of it after the anime, meaning that the effort and faith they put in the series finally paid off. Obviously that's not the usual case but people going around and acting like they know it all annoys me =/

And no, I neither read Hungry Joker nor Cross Manage but the magazine has way more actual competition than what we had the last few years (according to the TOC's), the TOC's are finally back to being really interesting. I don't see either series hitting rock bottom each week so who knows what could happen~
    Never Kuroko's ranks were similar to Cross Manages ones. The latter almost has never quitted the bottom 3 since it started. Kuroko was never that bad, his first volume even charted in the oricon. Even Sket Dance which had very bad first ranks rised quite rapidly to a safer place. So I'm afraid it's better to not have hope for cross manage.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Heiji's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Planning for next Shônen Jump :

#21 : 22/04 so tocs 17/04
    #22-23 : 27/04 so tocs 23/04 (tuesday)
    #24 : 13/05 : 08/05

12. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Israel
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you think we will know who won in Jump VS 7-8 weeks after it's launch like the usual ranking or does things like that/GFC/Next happen differently?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

will the v-jump rankings made public and if so where?

Horosho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MiyamotoMusashi View Post
    Maybe because Kochikame is an episodic manga that mostly deals with current news in a rather funny way?
    There have been attempts to translate, it's just that it is so overwhelmingly long. Nobody even knows how many chapters there are since Jump stopped numbering them decades ago.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Jaimini626's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I have watched most of kochikame anime , and if you ask me its really really good I think its better than most of the mangas , and if some someone is willing to translate it I will gladly help in the scanlations.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Well since it is episodic I don't think it would be necessary to translate all chapters in order. But the fact that a lot of things are dedicated to japanese public make it probably not worth the work.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Some of the cultural references go right over my head, but some of the chapters are really funny. I enjoyed a chapter from a couple weeks where Ohara, Ryotsu's older superior, embarrasses himself when he tries to use a smartphone. The chapters with him realizing he's out of touch are my favorite, there was one a few months ago where Ryotsu, who's really into toys and such, helps him keep up with his grandson's interest in model cars. The series is more realistic than the Simpsons and relies on (mostly) more innocent humor. It'd be nice to see more chapters translated, even if the translators just pick and choose which ones would translate the best. There's no need to translate them all, in fact I think I remember Shueisha releasing Jump Remix volumes a while back with "best of" collections of certain chapters.

Thread Closed
Page 132 of 134 FirstFirst ... 32 82 122 130 131 132 133 134 LastLast