Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 489 by kewl0210 , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Naruto 672 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 576 (2)
Thread Closed
Page 26 of 134 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 28 36 76 126 ... LastLast

Thread: Weekly Shonen Jump [2012-2013] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 4

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member kaze1028's Avatar
    Country
    The Wall
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2012] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 4

Koisome Momiji volume info

Vol.3 on 2013.1.4
    Vol.4 on 2013.2.4 (End)
    Last edited by kaze1028; November 14, 2012 at 05:28 AM.

2. Thanks 14 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Westlo's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jaiden82 View Post
    And there's goes Koisome Momiji. Down the road I wonder what will be next to go. Weird not seeing there.
    As far as established series goes the next two up to end would clearly be Medaka Box and Kurogane. Kurogane's sales to be blunt have sucked and its TOC ranking has been bad, doesn't help that so many newer series have surpassed it in both those departments.

Medaka Box sales have remained static for a long time, has been an awful performer in the TOC for the last year and the anime has had no boost at all. Stronger series have been cut down for far less.

I'll be surprised if one of these two are still in JUMP in 6 months time let alone both.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Jaymie's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Statistically speaking, at least one (if not more) of the new series is going to fail, so Kurogane and Medaka Box should be safe for now.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

medaka box underperformed more than anyone could think it would. the only reason that it survived is the name behind it and the many new scapegoats. If they cut kurogane then they will run into problems in the long run without mangas which have enough material to get animated. who knows if a anime could push it higher to a beelzebub range like the huge boost that kuroko got.

its more likely that retsu and cross manga get the cut. don't know about hungry joker but the genre variety in jump is better now then it was a few years ago. we have some sports, lovecom, slice of life, gag and so on. the only one left out that comes to my mind is a mystery, or something darker. (as stated, not counting hj in because i didn't read it yet.)

SQUEE x 9000 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doraku View Post
    Koisome ends.. I kinda like that series to be honest, but I could tell that it won't last long because it offers only small amount of distinctive characteristics among other Jump series (or in simple English, very generic). Man, Retsu's popularity burst is very short lived. Kuroko continues to surpass Haikyuu even two months after the Anime ended is a surprise as well. AssClass is still on the top, so I don't have to worry about that .

Is Rookie Policewoman Kiruko-san a gag manga?
    I had actually kind of liked Koisome too. Nothing great, pretty generic, but still kind of entertaining. Once it became obvious that it would eventually be canceled I dropped it. Nothing worth getting attached too, but reading Koisome was not a bad way to spend ten minutes.

Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kewl0210's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I always figured that Kurogane would end up like Hokenshitsu no Shinigami or magico. Where it lasts to around volume 10 and then just naturally ends, and the author tries to come up with something better for their next series.

Medaka Box has a two-season anime, so I think we can say it's safe from cancellation at this point. It'll just go for as long as the author wants it to go.
    Last edited by kewl0210; November 14, 2012 at 10:19 AM.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kewl0210 View Post
    I always figured that Kurogane would end up like Hokenshitsu no Shinigami or magico. Where it lasts to around volume 10 and then just naturally ends, and the author tries to come up with something better for their next series.

Medaka Box has a two-season anime, so I think we can say it's safe from cancellation at this point. It'll just go for as long as the author wants it to go.
    I don't think it'll necessairly get cancelled but at this point I can't see the series going on for much longer anyway, and it seems like it may be starting to wrap things up.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Westlo's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Asgaroth View Post
    medaka box underperformed more than anyone could think it would. the only reason that it survived is the name behind it and the many new scapegoats. If they cut kurogane then they will run into problems in the long run without mangas which have enough material to get animated. who knows if a anime could push it higher to a beelzebub range like the huge boost that kuroko got.
    Medaka Box survived because it had perfect timing (TLR ending being one of them) and always managed to beat out something before it hit its purple patch with the Minus Arc/Kumagawa. The manga never really recovered once they shifted more focus to Zen, been a bottom 5 dweller for a long time now and the anime in addition to flopping (2nd season was planned from the start) has done nothing for the manga in the TOC or sales.

Don't think Nisio meant all that much otherwise they would've printed more than 20k copies of volume 1 ;p

Also lol @ Kurogane getting a Kuroko boost, are the fujoshis going to save it lol? All the big recent boosts of late in Kuroko, Magi and Ao No Exorcist have been powered by fujoshi. That point aside Kuroko was selling better than 120k opening weeks pre anime which is what.. 4-5x better than Kurogane?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    I had actually kind of liked Koisome too. Nothing great, pretty generic, but still kind of entertaining.
    I think the artistic style was a huge plus for it. seriously, the mangaka can draw cute girls like nearly no other.

Scanlator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Maxy Barnard's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    I had actually kind of liked Koisome too. Nothing great, pretty generic, but still kind of entertaining. Once it became obvious that it would eventually be canceled I dropped it. Nothing worth getting attached too, but reading Koisome was not a bad way to spend ten minutes.
    It's funny, but I think with how long it's been underperforming in the TOC the author's actually managed to make it feel like a complete product (unless this last chapter craps the bed pretty hard, that is), so it's not as painful to be attached to as you'd think.

Just a *little* painful, is all.

Uchuujin 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member naruto-niichan's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

As great as AssClass, HQ, Nisekoi and PSI are doing - they probably won't be able to compensate for the loss of Naruto. Dunno if it's just me but I don't see any of these series becoming such a big hit (big as in selling around a million copies, having a extremely huge franchise, etc.). Jump probably thanks god that Oda won't end his series anytime soon but as it is they are still lacking a new huge hit. Probably nothing new I'm saying here but I just wondered when they will get it. And what will it be? Some new extraordinary fighting/action shounen or something that is totally out of the ordinary like Death Note.

I feel like Jump's "renewal" is only halfway done as long as they're missing this. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy most of the new "hit" series but it's still lacking something that can rival the old "big 3" geezers. Well maybe I'm wrong and one of the new series will actually rival them.

13. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, a million-selling manga doesn't show up too often. In Jump's history, though, they've had plenty of big sellers and times where there was only one "big" one or so. Like when Dragonball ended but before One Piece started. There's just fewer total sales in those situations. Naruto doesn't need to be "replaced" by a battle manga that gets the same level of franchise. There are plenty of other hits, it won't alter circulation a ton.

One Piece ending may have a pretty big hit to the magazine when that ends though, seeing as it sells about 3 million a volume. Or, more... what is it now? Like 3.5? It'd be like losing 3 million-sellers at once.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner mistgyu's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kewl0210 View Post
    One Piece ending may have a pretty big hit to the magazine when that ends though, seeing as it sells about 3 million a volume. Or, more... what is it now? Like 3.5? It'd be like losing 3 million-sellers at once.
    Yes but when he will start a new series they will come back be sure.

MH's Best Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Mr. Prince's Avatar
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mistgyu View Post
    Yes but when he will start a new series they will come back be sure.
    Disregarding the fact that we're talking about something that won't be happening any time soon but Oda mentioned in several interviews that One Piece will be his first and last long time running series and he wants to take the Toriyama route afterwards, i.e. stick to doing various short series and one shots.

TL: Oumagadoki Doubutsuen (29/37) || *NEW* HUNGRY JOKER (latest update: case.12+13) • Meet the Man: Sterling Cooper Ad Agency

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty sure Oda has said in interview that he's not planning on doing another series after One Piece. He's just gonna do one "big" series that's his magnum opous, and then just maybe do the occasional smaller projects, like Toriyama.

I remember hearing that a while ago. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Thread Closed
Page 26 of 134 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 28 36 76 126 ... LastLast