Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/22/14 - 9/28/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 761 by cnet128 , Bleach 597 (2)
New Reply
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Tokugawa as original No. 4

  1. #1
    MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Kaoz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Country
    Germany
    Age
    23
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,229
    Post Thanks / Like

    Tokugawa as original No. 4

    More or less a random thought really, but I could see Tokugawa being the original No. 4 of the 1st String.

    I guess the first assumption to make here is that they didn't ditch a random guy somewhere in Korea, but that it was really only 18 players leaving for the exhibition matches. While Kurobe originally said it had been 20, we already know that this is false after Tanegashima was revealed as No. 2.

    Now with that out of the way, the outstanding HSers in the camp were Tanegashima, Tokugawa, Oni and Irie. Tanegashima was revealed as No. 2, Oni as No. 5 and Irie was said to have a spot by Akiba, leaving only Tokugawa.

    One thing to note here is that Oni apparently resigned, which resulted in Kaji taking his place. Tanegashima on the other hand simply didn't go and they left his spot empty.
    We know that Irie, should he have had a spot, also resigned, so if he was the No. 4, he should have been replaced as well (i.e. it's not him). Tokugawa on the other hand is clearly displayed as strong, yet we haven't really gotten an explanation for why he isn't a 1st Stringer, aside from possibly that he didn't get the No. 1 spot and was salty.

    There's also still the thing I brought up a few weeks ago that he (and Irie) are displayed with the rest of the top 10 before the start of the current matches.

    That's about it I guess. I suppose it's somewhat optimistic to expect an explanation for the original No. 4, but if we get one, I wouldn't be surprised if it's Kazuya.

  2. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  3. #2
    Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Airgrimes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Beika City
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,365
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Tokugawa as original No. 4

    Could still easily have been Irie, and nobody replaced him.
    Nobody replaced Tanegashima when they went.

    So No.4 didnt have to be replaced if Irie Kanata didn't wish to travel.
    Wouldn't be surprised if it was either Irie or Tokugawa.

  4. #3
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Hardy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Outer Heaven
    Country
    Argentina
    Age
    20
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    6,724
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Tokugawa as original No. 4

    Fayte's theory of Ryoga killing the ex No. 4 in a tennis match is still better though lol.

    It'll be surely explained in the future.

  5. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  6. #4
    MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Kaoz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Country
    Germany
    Age
    23
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,229
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Tokugawa as original No. 4

    Quote Originally Posted by Airgrimes View Post
    Could still easily have been Irie, and nobody replaced him.
    Nobody replaced Tanegashima when they went.

    So No.4 didnt have to be replaced if Irie Kanata didn't wish to travel.
    In their conversation, Irie and Akiba make it sound as if Irie said he didn't have the ability to compete with the rest of the world and dropped out because of that. Furthermore, during the team shuffle Oni compares Irie's situation to his own. Both of these suggest that if Irie had the spot and stayed behind, he was replaced like Oni.

  7. #5
    Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Airgrimes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Beika City
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,365
    Post Thanks / Like

    Post Re: Tokugawa as original No. 4

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
    In their conversation, Irie and Akiba make it sound as if Irie said he didn't have the ability to compete with the rest of the world and dropped out because of that. Furthermore, during the team shuffle Oni compares Irie's situation to his own. Both of these suggest that if Irie had the spot and stayed behind, he was replaced like Oni.
    Akiba says its because he couldnt shift his focus to that of the world.
    This implies the ability was there.
    And Akiba was simply arrogant thinking his month of scientific training was enough to overtake him.

    Oni says he stayed to strengthen lower courts, but it doesn't rule out the possibility he was replaced.

    And of all people to replace him, why would Tokugawa do it, who is clearly being a spoiled brat crying over not being the No.1 of the camp and throwing a tantrum by refusing to accept any other position.
    (I believe that's what he has done since let's face it. From what we have seen, he would destroy No.7 downwards of the HSers)

  8. #6
    MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Kaoz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Country
    Germany
    Age
    23
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,229
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Tokugawa as original No. 4

    Quote Originally Posted by Airgrimes View Post
    Akiba says its because he couldnt shift his focus to that of the world.
    This implies the ability was there.
    Same goes for Oni. And Irie says it's because he can't compete, so from that pov it would make more sense to completely give up his spot rather than just temporarily staying behind (he won't grow any taller).

    Quote Originally Posted by Airgrimes View Post
    Oni says he stayed to strengthen lower courts, but it doesn't rule out the possibility he was replaced.
    Same goes for Irie. And we know for a fact that Oni was replaced, so from what I can see you're supporting my case here.

    Quote Originally Posted by Airgrimes View Post
    And of all people to replace him, why would Tokugawa do it, who is clearly being a spoiled brat crying over not being the No.1 of the camp and throwing a tantrum by refusing to accept any other position.
    (I believe that's what he has done since let's face it. From what we have seen, he would destroy No.7 downwards of the HSers)
    Not sure what you're trying to say here. I'm saying that Tokugawa is/was No. 4, not that he replaced Irie. Who knows what reason he might have had for not leaving the camp.

  9. #7
    Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Airgrimes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Beika City
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,365
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Tokugawa as original No. 4

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
    Not sure what you're trying to say here. I'm saying that Tokugawa is/was No. 4, not that he replaced Irie. Who knows what reason he might have had for not leaving the camp.
    It doesn't suggest that Irie couldn't have been.
    Although the altercation between Ryoga saving Tokugawa might hint to something.

    However there has been no interaction from anybody of the 1st String with Tokugawa besides Byoudouin laughing at him.

    Also, I meant to say ''It doesn't rule out the possibility Irie wasn't replaced.

    Also, Irie could have just decided to stay like Tanegashima.

    I just don't see enough yet to imply Tokugawa was the former teammate of those G10 guys like Oni was.

  10. #8
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Fayte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Country
    United States
    Age
    25
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,758
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Tokugawa as original No. 4

    To summarize the debate above, the original number 4 could have either been Kazuya or Irie.

New Reply

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts