Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 592 by BadKarma , Gintama 506 (2)
New Reply
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Theories about Mainland.

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Utsune's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Theories about Mainland.

Just a little input on land size issue.

The original calculations use approximate points on the map based on locations that are mentioned. The walking speed is then set to that of a human between these locations (most prominently Raki & Isley's example.) We also account for topology (evenness/roughness of the terrain) and the need for rest (i.e. how many hours they travel per day.)

Although these 3 factors are all approximate, the most straight forward estimation gives us something like the size of Australia. Which is actually MASSIVE.

But! since the estimations can subject to a wiiiidddeeee range of variation, we can expect the final answer to range from 1/4 of Australia to maybe Australia x2.

Australia x2 is even more massive. 1/4 of Australia is also MASSIVE lol. The point is, the result of the calculation makes us compare it with Australia, which is a MASSIVE continent.

Let's say it's even smaller than 1/4 of Australia. Then we may have to compare with the whole of Japan or the whole of Britain... which are also MASSIVE!!!!!!

Also, I doubt Yagi would have portrayed a world for 140 chapters and then tell us that it actually has 20 earth hours of day + 20 earth hours of night. This is very misleading and bad storytelling (of course, I believe the author has the right to make unearthly worlds, but even then, he would definitely have mentioned it somewhere at the very beginning to present a good solid setting to the audience.) My point is, we can expect the 'basic' physics, size of planet, and length of day, to be the same as that on Earth. Which in turns validates our land size estimation.

2. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member faintsmile1992's Avatar
    Country
    Casterly Rock
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Utsune View Post
    Also, I doubt Yagi would have portrayed a world for 140 chapters and then tell us that it actually has 20 earth hours of day + 20 earth hours of night. This is very misleading and bad storytelling (of course, I believe the author has the right to make unearthly worlds, but even then, he would definitely have mentioned it somewhere at the very beginning to present a good solid setting to the audience.) My point is, we can expect the 'basic' physics, size of planet, and length of day, to be the same as that on Earth. Which in turns validates our land size estimation.
    Not true in fantasy, think of ie. Game of Thrones and its winters. Fantasy authors can build worlds as they like, you know.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by faintsmile1992 View Post
    Not true in fantasy, think of ie. Game of Thrones and its winters. Fantasy authors can build worlds as they like, you know.
    Exactly why I said "the author has the right to make unearthly worlds [...] he would definitely have mentioned it somewhere at the very beginning." Anyone, including random villagers, could have remotely hinted at the 'differences' to our own world so that us readers would keep that in mind for the rest of the story, especially when they have so many instances to do with day and time. I just thought if they talked about needing 20 days to get to Rabona from HQ back in Chapter 130, and then later on in Chapter 380 you tell me one Claymore day is actually 63 hours with double sunset like you get on Mars... well that would be very misleading.

In no way I'm saying this isn't possible, I just don't think the constant Winter (implied) in Pieta is enough to make me to readily accept this world isn't earth-like... yet. (Although we seem to be getting constant seasons everywhere else as far as I can tell... which could have various suggestions but I won't delve to deep into this for now because I'm about to go to eat lol.)

Anyways, personally I don't care so much about the time/season issue, because Yagi has always been really vague about the number of days in between events :/ The one thing I'm more concerned about, which requires a bit of time estimate, is the size of the 'island.' In any case, should the days be shorter that what we are used to, my conclusion (that this 'island' is relatively huge) still doesn't change

5. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Brother Coa's Avatar
    Country
    Imperium of Mankind
    Post Thanks / Like

I am more interested in the Mainland supercontinent ( since Claymore island is continent similar in size to Australia, I am imagining that Mainland are something like Euroasia or even both Americas ) and civilisation that is on it.

In comparison to their capitals them Holy City of Rabona must seems like a house down the road than actual city.
    I am also interested in their culture ( we got so very little for Claymore continent ), history and above all - science and military.
    I am also very interested in Askaram, why they chose to help that side of the war and not the other? Why get involved in Mankind wars at all?
    I hope Yagi will provide us with all that one day, so if Claymore hits chapter 300 one day I would not have anything against it as long as it is full of this interesting details.
    "The universe has many horrors yet to throw at us. This is not the end of our struggle. This is just the beginning of our crusade to save Humanity. Be faithful! Be strong! Be vigilant!"

-Emperor of Mankind.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member faintsmile1992's Avatar
    Country
    Casterly Rock
    Post Thanks / Like

TBH I think Yagi created the CMverse as he went along with influences from real life Europe (Rabona and its autonomy is obviously reminiscent of Rome and the Papal States, the Org has its headquarters in what looks like Cappadocia etc) and from novels. I don't think the world of CM is supposed to be extremely deep like some people assume it is.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member BleachFan2010's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

While I do hope Yagi gives us some look into the Mainland, I cant help but wonder what would the story be ?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member number12michael's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BleachFan2010 View Post
    While I do hope Yagi gives us some look into the Mainland, I cant help but wonder what would the story be ?
    probably the Ghosts/warriors joining up with the DoD and the Asarakam to destroy the Org, and i am sure that the Org has all sorts of experiments at their HQ
    "Keep Eating Shit For The Rest Of Your Life " - 愛憎のロクサーヌ- Roxanne of Love and Hate

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

^ While that would be interesting, wouldn't it risk the Ghosts and the End Generation being found out about the org and the Island possibly being razed ? (I'd actually love to see something like that XD)

And what if the Asrakam are trained to kill Claymore on sight ?

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

^ While that would be interesting, wouldn't it risk the Ghosts and the End Generation being found out about the org and the Island possibly being razed ? (I'd actually love to see something like that XD)

And what if the Asrakam are trained to kill Claymore on sight ?
    i think they would be able to tell that the "fab 4" are half awakened, maybe Miria will use Phantom to get past them and into the enemy base? give them info on what the org is doing and what happened on the island....?

i would love for it to turn out that the Asarakam and DoD are the bad guys and the Org was truly trying anything it could to survive a war where they are out powered
    "Keep Eating Shit For The Rest Of Your Life " - 愛憎のロクサーヌ- Roxanne of Love and Hate

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

I actually think it would be brilliant if the Org was actually "good". After all "Desperate times call for Desperate measures." Rimuot even said that the men of the Org where suffering too. Either he meant that the army on the Mainland was in risk of being beaten or that the "Black Coats" actually don't like their job...?

And do you think that the Asarakam side on the Mainland know how to make Warriors considering Rubel is in the Org ?

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I actually think it would be brilliant if the Org was actually "good". After all "Desperate times call for Desperate measures." Rimuot even said that the men of the Org where suffering too. Either he meant that the army on the Mainland was in risk of being beaten or that the "Black Coats" actually don't like their job...?

And do you think that the Asarakam side on the Mainland know how to make Warriors considering Rubel is in the Org ?
    Yeah and judging by how Rubel talked they know how to make "controllable awakened beings". i bet they to are doing research.

i am hoping the vets live and maybe they will help the warriors build an army to fight, maybe they will destroy both sides?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Brother Coa's Avatar
    Country
    Imperium of Mankind
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by faintsmile1992 View Post
    TBH I think Yagi created the CMverse as he went along with influences from real life Europe (Rabona and its autonomy is obviously reminiscent of Rome and the Papal States, the Org has its headquarters in what looks like Cappadocia etc) and from novels. I don't think the world of CM is supposed to be extremely deep like some people assume it is.
    I will just use one very old quote: "That was then, this is now!"
    Claymore started small, a young boy exiled and mysterious warrior taking him at his care. But in 139 Chapters the story progressed quite a bit and wit hit the world of Claymore itself.
    I say: if that is the case then why not progress it even further?

---------- Post added at 01:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:41 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by number12michael View Post
    probably the Ghosts/warriors joining up with the DoD and the Asarakam to destroy the Org, and i am sure that the Org has all sorts of experiments at their HQ
    Do you really think it will going to be so easy? Askaram will just take them under their care and help them? I don't think that they are doing what they do willingly at all, we will just have to wait and see.

Also the fact that around 40 warriors will be able to do what probably millions of soldiers from both sides failed to do for entire century before them?

EDIT: What I am interested in now is next: after all of this will Miria tell everyone the truth about Mainland as well as origins of Yoma?
    "The universe has many horrors yet to throw at us. This is not the end of our struggle. This is just the beginning of our crusade to save Humanity. Be faithful! Be strong! Be vigilant!"

-Emperor of Mankind.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Nanozom's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

I suspect that Miria will take the secret of the Organization and the Asakaram to the grave, giving the claymores peaceful existences after all this struggle and fighting.
    They can pray that the DoD never finds their island and that the Org´s side is eradicated by the DoD.
    If the Claymores remain neutral and never engage or get the DoD´s attention, they might live under the radar like the Awakened ones that showed up at the Rabona border did until the final battle began.
    A peaceful life in a glided cage is waiting for them if Miria is willing to carry this secret to herself. Just like the one that the yoma once were humans and that every single claymore are involuntarily serial-killers for the sake of keeping their souls at peace with themselves as it is highly unlikely that the humans would allow them to stay if this truth came up. Also, I suspect that several of the claymores would fall into guilt and despair that either lead to awakening to escape it or massive outbreak of suicides because they can´t live with the guilt.

If this is the case, then Miria is going to be the last piece of the Org that maintain their secret policy alive, "Tell nothing to the Claymores"

So either they will live forever in this cage until either the DoD comes along and invades, or they continue the research program for a new purpose...like making the claymores into a new species or something...they make every hybrid semi-awaken and then pull them back to undo their stigmatas, and...(since we never actually seen a claymore engage in carnal activities...)...they might not be so sterile after all.
    In the end, the island will be either full of claymores, outlive the humans who starts a civil war to keep their lands and with their increasing numbers threatnin g to overpopulate the island.
    The claymores could go into war with the humans just for the sake of own survival and since the humans are stubborn creatures, the only people alive on the island will be the claymores.
    And then they can live in this sanctuary, away from the war and the DoD.
    Until they show up in search for more territory... but by then we will have a huge army of claymores waiting for them...leaving no survivors that can tell about this hidden continent.

How does this theory sound?

16. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

^ I really like that. And it would make sense. If the Claymore found out they had been systematically killing humans all their life that would no doubt shatter the minds of quite a few Claymore. Some may even start hating themselves and could take their own life or Awaken.

It would have a pretty interesting outcome but it would lead to more bad than good :/

---------- Post added at 09:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 AM ----------

I've also been thinking. Because it would make no sense for the Claymore to go to the Mainland, I think it wont at least, would Ygai be willing to do a sort of Spin Off on the Mainland ? Or possibly on the island years after the current events of the story?

18. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

^ Yeah I really like that idea about Miria too, although I doubt the survivors themselves would continue on with their Claymore business/research or whatever. It feels to me as much as the Claymore have their pride as a Claymore, they wouldn't inhumanely experiment further with innocents.

I agree that the current Claymore have no reason to get their home island involved in the Mainland crisis. The most straightforward thing to do is definitely stay off their radar, and expect the Org faction to send reinforcements. True that producing more Claymore might help in the long run, but I guess there's just a line they wouldn't cross. As several posts suggest earlier, this surely is an important project for them. If they could use some unfinished products to last themselves 100 years against the monsters, and that Rubel is actually sent to keep watch on them (also fearing they would move the experiment to a further location) then I'm pretty sure the success of half-awakens would deal a massive blow on the other side.

The number one thing that concerns me right now is Rubel's true objective, and his action after the conversation with Daae.

I'm just as interested as most people in this thread to see the Mainland, too. But as the days pass it really does remind me Claymore isn't as popular as it needs to be to avoid the most feared axe lol. I mean, even Bleach got axed lol. I know the native readers are pretty much interested too, but even so, there are a number who doubts an expansion to the story.

If anything, I'm totally in for a spin-off Claymore manga. Let's just hope our fellow fans in Japan has a loud enough voice for it :P

20. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast