Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 601 by BadKarma , Gintama 515 (2)
New Reply
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Shinsekai yori (From the new World)

Pink Warrior 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member baboysai's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: [Featured] Shinsekai yori (From the new World)

okay not reading your posts yet... found this through Kait's sig... will watch in 5, 4... 3...

---------- Post added at 05:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:49 AM ----------

I just reached episode 5 and here's what I have to say:

WTF is up with the art? A change in budget, or director or something that I wasn't aware of?

I thought that initially it was like how the "histories" were shown- they had slightly different art styles to give a sense of separateness I guess. But this time the whole episode had that weird-ish art so unlike the other eps. -_-

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

The colors all looked very washed out. Very strange. Hopefully this is corrected next week. The episode was otherwise enjoyable, I am curious how Saki and Satoru will survive the war without their PK. I'd also like to know how the rest are doing, and how they will reunite. After Saki saved the Queerat in episode 2, and the Monk's confrontation with them last week, I did expect they would play a prominent role in the story.

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Initially I thought the Queer-rat that helped them was the one in ep 2 but I was mistaken. >.>

And... there must be a reason why that queer rat could speak human tongue...

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Great episode! It does leave more questions than answers though. I wonder why Kiromaru ignored orders from the Ethics Committee, instead aiding Saki and her friends? Will their friendship with the queer rats pay off later, when they come into more direct conflict with human society? I am really looking forward to next weeks episode, if for nothing more than to see Saki and friends appearance before the ethics committee.

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity yukihime03's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

I kept forgetting to write in this thread.

Anyway, I decided to watch this anime on a whim and I'm glad I found it to be a great anime. (I did a mistake by watching it at night. Thankfully, I already had trained myself to watch horrors at night O_o)
    I really like how the story progressed so far. There are so many layers of mysteries that every time something is revealed, there is still mystery underneath it. I'm fascinated by the "new world". It's altogether amazing and horrible.
    I was miffed by the 5th eps art as well, but after I knew the reason... I guess I can't blame them. Maybe it's for the best. >.>
    Now I'm really excited to see the next eps! They will be 14!

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Monsterguy's Avatar
    Country
    Slovenia
    Post Thanks / Like

So if the feelings from a guy(like Satoru) are flat out turned down or unheared by a girl(like Saki), than something as in episode 8, might happen ?...

I'm afraid after watching this episode some will get the fear to even start a relationship...

What I understood from this series untill now, is that just starting a serious relationship "is a big deal" and "a turning point in your life".

Anyway that gay thing between men was really gross for me, but I think that the time Saki spends with Maria makes up for that. I kind of got the laughing shivers this time in episode 8, while smiling and watching the girls(Saki and Maria) fooling around with one another, I liked it...
    Spoiler: sample from originally colourful manhwa Tower of God show

It never ceases to amaze me:
    "How are authors of famous manhwa / manga,... able to create such amazing works???"

Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

My first reaction was: WHAT THE HECK?! What the heck...
    I was suspicious since I watched the preview but they actually go that far. Oh God.
    Then it got worse when I watched Maria and Saki... I thought she likes Shun??
    I don't understand anymore... *laughing in despair*
    I kinda feel sad for Mamoru now, he was left alone.

And that thing with Shun... Something must have affected his power. That egg... *shivers*
    I hope something bad won't happen to him... The preview does not help though.

This eps does give much progress though, in my opinion. There are still so many questions.

Anyway, Maria's portrait looks a lot like Tomoyo (Cardcaptor Sakura), eh?

8. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Light and Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member naruto-niichan's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

This was certainly... unexpected. I believe loving the same gender is normal in their cases, it looks like it's a phase every teenager is going through in Shinsekai. That's probably something related to the Bonobo's mentioned by that Fake something (what was it called?). It seems likely that at some point they implanted some of the Bonobo's genes in humans (to create less agression) which leads them and descendants to act like that:

Quote Originally Posted by Bonobo
    The bonobo is popularly known for its high levels of sexual behavior. Sex functions in conflict appeasement, affection, social status, excitement, and stress reduction. It occurs in virtually all partner combinations and in a variety of positions. This is a factor in the lower levels of aggression seen in the bonobo when compared to the common chimpanzee and other apes.
    I wonder why the elders held back for so long to punish them, curious to see what will happen now.

10. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Now I'm starting to think that men and women marry just for the sake of reproduction. O_o
    Last edited by yukihime03; November 17, 2012 at 12:30 PM.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Monsterguy's Avatar
    Country
    Slovenia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yukihime03 View Post
    My first reaction was: WHAT THE HECK?! What the heck...
    I was suspicious since I watched the preview but they actually go that far. Oh God.
    Then it got worse when I watched Maria and Saki... I thought she likes Shun??
    I don't understand anymore... *laughing in despair*
    I kinda feel sad for Mamoru now, he was left alone.

And that thing with Shun... Something must have affected his power. That egg... *shivers*
    I hope something bad won't happen to him... The preview does not help though.

This eps does give much progress though, in my opinion. There are still so many questions.

Anyway, Maria's portrait looks a lot like Tomoyo (Cardcaptor Sakura), eh?
    Yeah, at first, my expression was totally the same, with WTF kind of face...

Than I calmed down after seeing "Saki x Maria"...

There were just so many surprises in this one episode:
    Spoiler show
    Last edited by Monsterguy; November 21, 2012 at 04:21 PM. Reason: spelling
    Spoiler: sample from originally colourful manhwa Tower of God show

It never ceases to amaze me:
    "How are authors of famous manhwa / manga,... able to create such amazing works???"

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I thought that the explanation between their very touching phase is because of what the Bonobo said. Even during maybe three eps ago when Saki and Satoru were captured by the Queerrats and Satoru began touching Saki and she thought it was alright because the Bonobo said they were raised to relieve stress that way.

What threw the table for me was when Satoru slapped his boy-toy's ass.

And the usual- WHAT? SO MANY QUESTIONS I DON'T EVEN WHAT??

Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Monsterguy View Post
    Yeah, at first, my expresoin was totally the same, with WTF kind of face...

Than I calmed down after seeing "Saki x Maria"...

There were just so many surprises in this one episode:
    Spoiler show
    I've never swore so much when watching an anime...

Spoiler show

---------- Post added at 09:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by baboysai View Post
    Yeah I thought that the explanation between their very touching phase is because of what the Bonobo said. Even during maybe three eps ago when Saki and Satoru were captured by the Queerrats and Satoru began touching Saki and she thought it was alright because the Bonobo said they were raised to relieve stress that way.

What threw the table for me was when Satoru slapped his boy-toy's ass.

And the usual- WHAT? SO MANY QUESTIONS I DON'T EVEN WHAT??
    It is a proper explanation, but still.. I though Saki had a resolve that "we're not monkeys". Turns out that she really can't stop her nature (genes)...

15. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

The BL in episode 8 caught me off guard as well. The first thing I thought of was also the bonobo. Satoru had always viewed Shun as his rival for Saki, and always seemed jealous of his ability as a cantus user. It would make sense that he uses "sex" (dating?) as a way to diffuse the tension, and after getting dumped attempts to use a classmate to get Shun jealous. Because Maria has received so little screen time it's hard to explain her relationship with Saki. The only guess I could make is that gay and lesbian relationships between teens are acceptable in their society, sensible considering their views on sex as a tool to diffuse tension. If Maria were attracted to Saki it would only be natural to act on her attraction and consummate her feelings. She might not need to feel any sense of rivalry with Saki, though that could emerge later, only attraction and maybe admiration.

---------- Post added at 11:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 AM ----------

Based on what Shun said to Saki at the end of the episode, my guess is that nothing really important happened during the timeskip. The elders simply allowed the children to return, who then resumed their normal school life. I think what is important is that the elders knew all along the kids lost their cantu, only to restore their abilities later. Their reasons for allowing the kids to return, and only monitoring them, will be key to the next arc of the story, and to important to tell right away.

---------- Post added at 11:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 AM ----------

One more thought about Saki x Maria: Maybe Maria is using Saki to make the shy, reserved Mamoru jealous. Mamoru does not seem the type to confess, nor does he seem like he would handle a confession well. Maybe Maria is trying to force him to react. Saki says something to that effect to Mamoru at one point during the episode, when he is outside painting, with Saki sitting between him and Maria.

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

I would give a hand for Mamoru though.

That despite all the stress he's handling from his inability to confess, and all his emotions for Maria that he can't seem to unload, he didn't turn to some other guy for comfort like say, Satoru and Shun, AND saki.

The fact that they could restore their own Cantus without proper authority is indeed unsettling for the adults, because how else could they control children if not by having power over their Cantus? I dunno why they had to delay it though. Maybe they needed to observe the kids more. But 2 years is too long for that.
    Last edited by baboysai; November 18, 2012 at 12:30 PM.

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Everything I said in the Robotics;Notes thread also applies to Shinsekai. It feels like the story is building towards something, that it will come somewhere around episode 12, and when it happens it will be epic. Episode nine was a big step in that direction. I can't even imagine what happened to Shun at this point, and why Pinewind Village was wiped off the map. I'm also dying to find out what happened to Yoshimi. At the end of the episode Saki was so epic, sneaking into Pinewind Village herself, under cover of darkness.

New Reply
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast