Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 489 by kewl0210 , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Naruto 672 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 576 (2)
New Reply
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Psycho-Pass

SQUEE x 9000 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Psycho-Pass

I think that Kou understands his position. As a detective he can no longer protect, can't fight for justice, and can not help maintain order. He would have been stuck in the lab, if he had stayed. Sybil has spoken. The failure of Ginoza's plan proved that. He understands something is wrong, that the Bureau's goal is not to arrest Makishima. The only possible outcomes now is for the Bureau to get what they want, kill Makishima, or to let Makishima continue his crime spree. The first and last options are unacceptable to Kou. Without the option of real justice, he knows Makishima must die. Kou expressed guilt about putting Akane in that position, he doesn't want blood on her hands. If he stayed, she'd be in that position again. He would not be in the field again. Now he can take that burden away from her, sacrificing himself for justice. I can't imagine things working out so simply, I am not expecting a happy ending.

Akane's quick thinking was my favorite part of the episode. I loved how she grasped that something was wrong, that the dominator should not have allowed lethal enforcement. I wonder where that revelation will lead, what she has to say about that.

2. Like 4 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Last week the audio was off, and this week it was the animation. Noooo!!!!

It didn't surprise me that Kougami left because he seemed to have been disillusioned with the police force for a while now. I do wonder if Kougami's conviction to kill would be different if he discovered the true nature of the Sibyl system, heard the speech that Makishima gave to Akane before Yuki was killed or even found out that the Sibyl System disposed of Kagari. Kougami would most likely still carry the sentiment that Makishima should be killed, but he might view him as a twisted human rights activist as opposed to all the other murderers he'd encountered throughout his career.

News Writer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zeltrax's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Psycho-Pass is probably not heading to a happy end.
    I don't think the anime will go the route of Makishima destroying the Sibyl System.
    Granted, the Sibyl System have brought a lot of restrictions and isn't perfect.

But if it was to be destroyed like the Chief said,
    it will be a plagued by wars and riots without something governing it.
    Like Makishima's case, the system could no longer judge him and they have to return to the old prosecuting ways. It's the same with the System,
    if it was to fall, humans would lose their "god" and their sense of security and with it their current "peace".

If Makishima achieves victory and lives to destroy the system...
    They would be forced to go back into the "old world" without the system, the country will be plunged into a chaos because there is no way for everyone to take that in. People will fight to be the new Sibyl System, eventually leading to wars. Countries will come in and try to claim Japan.
    There will be no CID, no police force, because the governments have fallen.
    Tyrants will be born, and well...a lot of stuff at the cost of "True Freedom" by Makishima.
    Eventually, the whole world will be plunged into a lawless planet until someone takes back the role of playing king.
    That would take years.

On the other hand if Kou were to kill Makishima, it would lead to the route of the Sibyl System losing a real threat. One that could potentially dethrone it. Without this thread, the Sibyl System would continue to govern the people and play god, eventually the system will spread to the rest of the world.
    And civilization will be, in a way, deprived of all freedom due to their own kind playing gods.
    Certainly, humans have transcended and became "gods" that governed other humans but it will be in a world where it is alright to have psycho killers governing others and when we have to obey everything that this humans say.
    This loss of freedom will continue until another Makishima is born.

No normal humans can become the new Sibyl System even if it was to be destroyed, becoming a new one is also wrong. Japan cannot go back to it's own ways without disastrous wars nor can it be ruled by a single person because that's even worst.
    Pardon this long wall of text but I am really really interested in which route this anime will take now since that it has written itself into this kind of corner.
    Not a bad thing, and I love every bit of it.

Makishima represents true freedom, even if it meant plunging the world into total chaos.
    The CID are there to uphold the Sibyl System, representing everything the law stands for. Even if it meant being completely ruled by humans and living in an illusion.

Kou, on the other hand, well...whatever he represents, it might be the solution to how the world might be able to survive this crisis.
    Last edited by Zeltrax; February 24, 2013 at 04:33 AM.

5. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I noticed the not-so-good art in some scenes, but I let it go. Heck, I watch the series for the plot, if I were to be bothered with the animation I'd have leave this since before because at first I couldn't stand Akane's eyes, lol. What else can be said, awesome episode, final turning point for the last four episodes (I can't believe it's ending so soon!), awesome ending especially combined with the song.

Personally I'm someone who's faithful to laws and regulations, even though it may suck or has holes in few places. But rules are made to be followed, and it's created to help improve life. In PP's world Sibyl is the law, and no matter how much it sucks as a system of brains, everything should return to it. That's why Sibyl must be modified to be able to catch people like Makishima. Now this is something Sibyl does NOT want to do; that's where Sibyl is at fault. Ko-chan realizing that goes out to pass the judgement on Makishima himself; while it is wrong for violating Sibyl and egoistic for his own reason of living like he said, someone has to take that place because Sibyl's defect.

And reading Kait and Zelx's posts, it's awesome how this series is made to have meaning to each choice made. I don't believe we'll get to see a perfect happy ending either; I just hope there won't be any more death. T_T

7. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Now that we're nearing the last episode, I can also see how we won't have a happy ending. ("Happy ending" as in the Sibyl System will be dismantled and people will live their lives before the Psycho-Pass was implemented.) First of all, another season will have to be made in order to get rid of Sibyl due to the fact that it has become too ingrained in the livelihood of citizens for far too long; deconstructing a whole system (as opposed to a political government) takes time.

It's also possible that things will be left open-ended: the Sibyl System remains as it is but becomes unstable... therefore leaving an opportunity for individuals like Makishima and Yayoi's friend to act without showing if it will actually happen.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Sibyl has been used in life way too much for it to disappear completely in a short period. There'll be too much chaos as the system also interacts with jobs and many other things. While it can be taken out easily (for example bombing the core, lol) the society would be paralyzed for a while.

I'll be sad if the series ended with such a cliffhanger, Asa-chan.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Skyguardian's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Episode 19:

So now they come for Akane...
    Damn you cliffhanger!

The rest was pretty good. Ginoza loosing his cool... Kogami finding out what Makishima is going to do...
    Quite the fitting plan for Makishima though...
    Did I miss something or was this the first time they told us Sibyl is operating Japan-only?
    Last edited by Skyguardian; February 28, 2013 at 07:51 PM.

Smiling Moe Hunter 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Doraku's Avatar
    Country
    Band of the Hawks 2
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Skyguardian View Post
    Episode 19:

So now they come for Akane...
    Damn you cliffhanger!

The rest was pretty good. Ginoza loosing his cool... Kogami finding out what Makishima is going to do...
    Quite the fitting plan for Makishima though...
    Did I miss something or was this the first time they told us Sibyl is operating Japan-only?
    I think.. there were some references that Sibyl system is only applied to Japan, but I'm not 100% sure since there were being implicitly (and probably, vaguely) stated. Either way, the fact that Sibyl traps Japan as a whole nation is indeed surprising; Who would've thought that in the such utopian future, Japanese is - some sort of - practicing Sakoku again?

My favorite moment during this episode is going to be when Kou is trying to predict what Makishima's answer is going to be when Saiga-sensei quoted Max Weber. That scene pretty much depict how Kou and Makishima are alike, even though both of them have different ideologies.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I get it. The art turns amazingly annoying when the scene is supposed to be shot from afar. Ko looks sooooooo bad each time, with his head/hair-to-body ratio went beyond natural sense.

Either way, a static episode but interesting nonetheless with the analysis of Makishima's plan and the bursting out of Gino. Cool interaction between him and his father, what he said, how he'd act in last few episodes. He's growing, for sure. Lovely cliffhanger ending, I wonder if Akane is Sibyl's new trump card now?! -___-

News Writer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zeltrax's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess I really don't get why Makishima's plan is that wrong. I understand he has to be stop because he is really a madman and a killer
    but his idea of destroying Sibyl System and opening up Japan back to how it once was did not feel like that bad of an idea to me.
    The system letting Akane knows about the entire truth might be due to her Psycho-Pass that doesn't seems to change no matter what,
    we might finally find out the reason why. Is she another Makishima? If so, I wonder what the system plans for this pawn.
    But their overconfidence will probably lead to its destruction.
    Up till this episode, everybody besides Makishima are still bent on keeping the System and hasn't really thought of bringing it down either..even Ko.
    All of it was about "find and kill Makishima" but nothing about bringing down Sibyl or trying to change it. I think it will come in to play later, or I hope that it will.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zeltrax View Post
    I guess I really don't get why Makishima's plan is that wrong. I understand he has to be stop because he is really a madman and a killer
    but his idea of destroying Sibyl System and opening up Japan back to how it once was did not feel like that bad of an idea to me.
    The system letting Akane knows about the entire truth might be due to her Psycho-Pass that doesn't seems to change no matter what,
    we might finally find out the reason why. Is she another Makishima? If so, I wonder what the system plans for this pawn.
    But their overconfidence will probably lead to its destruction.
    Up till this episode, everybody besides Makishima are still bent on keeping the System and hasn't really thought of bringing it down either..even Ko.
    All of it was about "find and kill Makishima" but nothing about bringing down Sibyl or trying to change it. I think it will come in to play later, or I hope that it will.
    I don't think Makishima is totally wrong either. His method might have been wrong by trying to wreak chaos and killing people around, but his basic idea of destroying Sibyl (which we all have seen what it's actually like) is not bad. But the polices have yet to know this. I think they're too focused on going after Makishima than thinking about Sibyl. After all, if they get Makishima, there's a chance Makishima will tell them what he knows about Sibyl (although less likely, lol). Unless they know that the system is wrong, they'll just think that Makishima is a phenomena they must deal with, as the system fixes itself. And in regards of Ko-chan, he might think that Makishima was just bluffing about Sibyl to make him waver.

I think Akane is another Makishima, and if that's true then Sibyl will want her brain no matter what. I guess her meeting with the chairman will happen soon. And only after that, that the team can know the truth behind Sibyl, IMO. Things will change from there.

Uchuujin 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member naruto-niichan's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phio_chan View Post
    I don't think Makishima is totally wrong either. His method might have been wrong by trying to wreak chaos and killing people around, but his basic idea of destroying Sibyl (which we all have seen what it's actually like) is not bad. But the polices have yet to know this. I think they're too focused on going after Makishima than thinking about Sibyl.
    We shouldn't forget that Makishima was reponsible for several deaths, which didn't help to bring Sybil down. He supported some sick minds to give them the freedom of making their own choices. And, what we shouldn't forget, for his own entertainment. What he wants is to lift all the restrictions on freedom so that everyone can make his own choices in life. That's what he was lamenting about ever since he got introduced. It's not because he wants everyone to have a better life, it's because he himself values freedom above anything else and enjoys it the most.

As I see it, he's a pure egoist and a Chaotic Neutral. As fascinating as such people are, they are bound to make enemies because they usually only care for themselves. Kougami bears a deep grudge towards Makishima so no matter what, he will (try to) kill him even if he's learning about Sybil's true form beforehand.

16. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Ever since Yayoi's backstory episode, I've always been expecting her friend to appear again. I'm sure there are people who share similar sentiments with Makishima but are not as extreme.

Quote Originally Posted by phio_chan View Post
    I think Akane is another Makishima, and if that's true then Sibyl will want her brain no matter what. I guess her meeting with the chairman will happen soon. And only after that, that the team can know the truth behind Sibyl, IMO. Things will change from there.
    If Akane lived a different life or wasn't the compassionate person she is, I'm sure she could have turned out to be just like Makishima. It's likely that Sibyl System has always recognized her as criminally asymptotic and is only seeking her out now due to circumstances.

Hopefully they'll also learn about the fate of Kagari while they work towards discovering the truth.

---------- Post added March 05, 2013 at 09:38 PM ---------- Previous post was March 03, 2013 at 08:57 PM ----------

I have a question to ponder about to tide us over until the next episode: Do you think Makishima will live or will he be killed by Kogami (or some other cause)? How could justice be served with Makishima?

Makishima reminds me of Light in a way except the former is a better character imo. They both have the right intentions, but the methods they use involve human lives as tools and emotional manipulation. When I read Death Note while it was still running, I knew that Light was going to die or else the story will otherwise never come to a close; I feel the same way about Psycho-Pass. If Makishima is still around by the end of the finale, he will still be capable of committing crimes which leads us back to where we were in the first episode. (You can call Kogami's desire to kill Makishima another "crime" that has been planted.) To be honest I'm quite fond of Makishima and don't want him to die, but objectively speaking he most likely will in the end.

Unlike Light, however, Makishima doesn't mind dying: he want someone who has the will to kill (i.e. Kogami) to kill him and will accept death with open arms. Even if Kogami is successful in his mission, Makishima will still win in the end because that's exactly what he wants. It's a difficult situation, and that's why I can't answer the second question I proposed. There are different methods of handling justice (from Kogami's way to Akane's) that can be valid and be filled with holes at the same time. I love Psycho Pass for this reason: it does not preach which ideals are better.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess Makishima won't mind dying. I agree with what Asa-chan said; his death will be the ultimate proof that Sibyl is not to trusted because crime can still happen this way, adding one more criminal history for Kogami altogether. He just wants to show that to the world, I'd say.

19. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Halfway 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought Akane should have destroyed that room -
    Even with the plus of having the Sybil system having eliminated wars or what-have-you...

New Reply
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast