Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Psycho-Pass

Uchuujin 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member naruto-niichan's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Psycho-Pass

Psycho-Pass

Title: Psycho-Pass
    Episodes: 22
    Aired: October 12,2012 to ??
    Producers: Production I.G.
    Genres: Action, Sci-Fi

Summary:

The series takes place in the near future, when it is possible to instantaneously measure and quantify a person's state of mind and personality. This information is recorded and processed, and the term "Psycho-Pass" refers to a standard used to measure an individual's being. The story centers around the "enforcement officer" Shinya Kougami, who is tasked with managing crime in such a world.

Opening Theme: "Abnormalize" by Ling Tosite Sigure
    Ending Theme: "Namae no nai Kaibutsu (Monster with no name)" by EGOIST

2. Thanks 5 Member(s) thanked this post
    MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Psycho-Pass

As I said in the preview thread, the premise sounds really cool. My only concern is the execution; even if the synopsis is interesting, it won't be a good anime if it fails to meet the standard it puts out.

Nevertheless I'm pretty excited.

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Asarii View Post
    As I said in the preview thread, the premise sounds really cool. My only concern is the execution; even if the synopsis is interesting, it won't be a good anime if it fails to meet the standard it puts out.

Nevertheless I'm pretty excited.
    If I can retweet post, I would have done so.

Can't agree more with Asa-chan. Well, the summary and artwork is quite the typical of what I would like, so definitely look forward to it. Hopefully it won't be disappointing (still hurt with how one of these anime turned out to be bad) LOL~

Just wondering, is this an original work or another adaptation?

Smiling Moe Hunter 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Doraku's Avatar
    Country
    Band of the Hawks 2
    Post Thanks / Like

Psycho-Pass Characters Profile:

@Phio
    I think this is an original work. Another Urobutcher's individual projects, apparently.
    Last edited by Doraku; October 05, 2012 at 05:32 AM.

6. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice info, Dora! The characters description are not that exciting, but the story plot is, quite much, I guess. Haha~ Lately I'm in mood for detective stories or anything related to crimes and something of the like. Seems we're going to see how the past of these characters will play part on their investigation, and how their lives will be affected by what they're doing. The antagonist so far is only one; nice description though. XD

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Monsterguy's Avatar
    Country
    Slovenia
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting stuff(some was already mentioned), now with direct linking if you click on pictures:

index:

intro:

characters:
    Last edited by Monsterguy; October 06, 2012 at 09:01 AM.
    Spoiler: sample from originally colourful manhwa Tower of God show

It never ceases to amaze me:
    "How are authors of famous manhwa / manga,... able to create such amazing works???"

9. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phio_chan View Post
    Can't agree more with Asa-chan. Well, the summary and artwork is quite the typical of what I would like, so definitely look forward to it. Hopefully it won't be disappointing (still hurt with how one of these anime turned out to be bad) LOL~
    Yeah, it's a pity when something that seems good and has lots of potential turns out bad. Let's cross our fingers and hope that this will not be the case!

Quote Originally Posted by phio_chan View Post
    Nice info, Dora! The characters description are not that exciting, but the story plot is, quite much, I guess. Haha~ Lately I'm in mood for detective stories or anything related to crimes and something of the like. Seems we're going to see how the past of these characters will play part on their investigation, and how their lives will be affected by what they're doing. The antagonist so far is only one; nice description though. XD
    The descriptions only tell us what the characters' jobs are and the basic core of their personalities. Out of the bunch, however, I'm most intrigued by Shogo Makishima. (As you said, his description is the only nice one. )

11. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Ghan's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Amazing first episode. The atmosphere was intense and so were the characters. I can already see how the girl will have future problems with Enforcers due to her softness and kindness.

Besides that, the guns were interesting. They can tell your personalities and your criminal records which is useful. I would expect to see more weapons introduced in the story because of how technologically advanced the setting is. But I must admit, having a bullet that can make you grow and explode is awesome

Overall, I will be expecting some great things from this show

13. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

What I found most interesting is that it instantly rises the question if this kind of "judgement" is really okay. Just because someone is a "probable" criminal do you have the rights to judge/imprison or even kill them? How exactly is this Psycho-Pass rated and how does it work?

As much as this could be seen as a good method to prevent crime from happening it is totally fishy and can easily me misused. I'm with the girl here, it's not like you have to use force or kill someone just because of his probable state of mind. I'm really not sure how I feel about this system but that's exactly what makes this show good - it makes you thinking.

The first episode had quite a dark atmosphere to it too, overall I was quite surprised at how good this turned out even though things seemed a bit rushed. Definitely going to continue this

15. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Skyguardian's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

The female cop looked like a even more female Tsunayoshi Sawada... Somehow all characters look like they jumped out of the Reborn! world. Is Amano-Sensei included somehow or are my eyes playing games with me?
    Very dark setting. I love it.
    Can't wait for the next episode because this world seems to be interessting. Can't imagine how much science advances in real live... But I fear something like that would be too possible...

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Limit's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome start to an awesome anime. When I watched the PV's I knew this was going to be a good show and I'm glad I was right. The whole measuring someone's brain seemed far-fetched and confusing but it was a nice addition. The uses for it in this anime is huge. Also the guns are spectacular as well, everything is hooked up to a super system that gives orders and stuff. Also the animation is great too, Amane's art isn't my favorite but it works. That part with the guy basically exploding looked great (no sadistic tastes or w/e ). I'm glad they're not censoring that stuff and showing gore.

Just by watching the first episode, you can tell this show is going to be in the morally gray area. We have cops that are considered criminals, people being stunned and paralyzed when they didn't really do anything, and people getting killed without much thought. The system's decisions look like they are more important than the actual people on the mission. I can guess that they're will be a fall out/debate for whether to listen to the system or not. It looks like there is going to be a fight between what is considered justice and what is considered morally right.

Damn, I can't wait for the next episode.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

There's a quite interesting interview with the Chief Director of Psycho-Pass, Katsuyuki Motohiro :

Quote Quote:
    Motohiro revealed that he prohibited the word "moe" when they were in meetings about the anime. He explained that they intended to counter the current anime trends. As a result, he said with a laugh that this work can only be a "strikeout or a home run," with nothing in between.

Motohiro also acknowledged that the staff has a very masculine mindset and their meetings were full of talk about weapons and movies. He joked that their mindset is similar to Weekly Playboy magazine itself. He also noted that producers warned that if certain elements were not incorporated into Psycho-Pass, female viewers will not watch, but Urobuchi said that Motohiro protected the creators to make whatever they wished.

Motohiro said that he has been wanting to making anime for a while, but needed a charismatic scriptwriter. So, he made an offer to Urobuchi to join the project, about when Puella Magi Madoka Magica was airing (January-April 2011). People around Motohiro were saying that Madoka Magica exceeded Evangelion, so he watched the anime himself. He said he was amazed that there was a person who could write such a work. He then read Urobuchi's novels and writings and became convinced that absolutely fascinating works could be made when Urobuchi's way of thinking is put onscreen.

The interviewer noted that Motohiro has a son in sixth grade, and asked him if he wanted to show Psycho-Pass to his son. Motohiro acknowledged that the anime might be too much for his son, and Urobuchi added that it is heavy on psychological brutality. Motohiro observed that he watched the first Lupin III series with wonder when he was in elementary school, and joked that he wanted to give his son and today's youth trauma that will last their entire lives when they watched this anime.
    I expect great things from this show

19. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

What I feel for the first episode (in sequence): >> ... >> ... >>

Well, I started off the series excitedly. I mean, I did expect it to be dark, but not this dark, lol. Such blood. But I'm interested. There was a moment when I was annoyed by this girl named Akane, but I can see where she's coming from. This is going to be a nice twist.

(Now I sound like a person with high Crime Coefficient, LOOL~)

Smiling Moe Hunter 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Doraku's Avatar
    Country
    Band of the Hawks 2
    Post Thanks / Like

Two words to sum up the 1st episode: simply amazing. The quality of the animation is not to be doubted, the OP and ED are great as well and the characters have a lot of potential to contribute more to the story. Hound 3 is just an amazing male MC, and I always rooting for a cold-blooded character so it's just perfect. About the story line, I'm wondering what kind of "brutal psychological problems" that would arise later. Masaoka is kinda suspicious tho, since I found he is too normal among the cop's hounds.

I really like the premise, somehow this anime makes me feel nostalgic since the setting it's kinda similar to Akira or Ghost in the Shell (dystopian future). As a big fan of Urobuchi, I'm glad that this anime has 22 episodes in it. I believe it gives him more space to explore and deliver the story, so I hope that this Anime would not left anything to be questioned (*cough* Madoka *cough*).

On completely unrelated note, no matter how much I love Madoka, it doesn't surpass Evangelion.
    Last edited by Doraku; October 12, 2012 at 12:17 PM.

22. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity yukihime03's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know why I watched this...

...oh wait, it's because of the seiyuu (again).

Anyway, good animation and the plot seems intriguing though like phio-chan, I was like: Wow. Oh Wow. Definitely not for kids.
    I find something that seems illogical to me in the scene, but *cough*. I don't find it comfortable to talk about.
    I'm a bit annoyed by Akane because I think she's just too naive, but well... I think in a story like this, a heroine like her is needed. *bleh*
    I'm interested in white-haired guy. He seems evil... :P

New Reply
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast