Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (6/30/14 - 7/6/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 752 by cnet128 , Bleach 587 (2) , Gintama 501 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Psycho-Pass (Re-Edit Discussion)

Kawaii Neko 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member naruto-niichan's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Psycho-Pass

Anyone who watched the new episode? The flashback last time was fine but I'm glad we got back to the recent story. Some really interesting devlopments, so it's not just an old partner but even Ginoza's father became an Enforcer after being a detective No surprise that Ginoza is so stressed and tries his best to keep his Psycho-Pass in check. Things sure aren't easy for him and I feel like I understand him a lot better now that we know his background.

And they are well aware that the Sibyl System isn't perfect huh? <___< I wonder who exactly that woman is, at the end it seemed like she knew Makishima from before this incident.
    Now that we know there are other cases like Makishima and how they're treating them, the System appears even more questionable....

Tsunemori is exactly one of the cases like Makishima, just that she's not using it for criminal acts. They are just too similar - I remember Makishima's Psycho-Pass went up too when he killed her friend but slowly went down every time Tsunemori was pointing the Dominator at him, just like what happened when she tried to remember the scene and her PP went up temporarily.

Anyway, now that they all know how Makishima looks I'm curious how things will advance. There's no doubt that he's pretty much aware that they know his identity by now, can't imagine he's not somehow predicting this.
    Last edited by naruto-niichan; January 18, 2013 at 10:02 AM.

2. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Loli-Loli Hunter 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Skyguardian's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Sybil system is flawed as the chief said. Otherwise you wouldn't need humans. This way of society bugs me even more. They go after the majority rule and everyone who doesn't fit has to be locked up or get rid of.
    Modern welfare yeah right.

It was interessting Ginozas father was there all the time. Never thought of that possibility.

And Akane is one hell of a detective. I bet almost nobody would've agreed too such a treatment regarding Sybils absolut power.

Horosho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by naruto-niichan View Post
    Anyone who watched the new episode? The flashback last time was fine but I'm glad we got back to the recent story. Some really interesting devlopments, so it's not just an old partner but even Ginoza's father became an Enforcer after being a detective No surprise that Ginoza is so stressed and tries his best to keep his Psycho-Pass in check. Things sure aren't easy for him and I feel like I understand him a lot better now that we know his background.
    A little like episode 12 of R;N, it was nice learning more about a previously underdeveloped character. Worthwhile, but I'm glad to be back to the main story. I loved that Masaoka turned out to be Ginoza's father. I did not see it coming. His story reminded me of Rouichi Ouryou's; an older generation unable to cope with the realities of sybil. The stress of being a detective must be horrible. It comes as no surprise that so many detectives are forced by stress to become enforcers. Akane seems to be the exception, not the rule.

Quote Quote:
    And they are well aware that the Sibyl System isn't perfect huh? <___< I wonder who exactly that woman is, at the end it seemed like she knew Makishima from before this incident.
    Now that we know there are other cases like Makishima and how they're treating them, the System appears even more questionable....
    I believe she is a high ranking official in the Ministry of Welfare, the department that oversees the Sybil System and Crime Bureau. While visiting Kougami, Akame tells him Ginoza is "petitioning the top brass and investigating right now". I assume that woman is the top brass he was petitioning.

I wonder. If only one in two million people are criminally asymptomatic, it is incredibly suspicious that two would appear in the same precinct within three years. The odds of that happening are astronomical. Also, it is incredibly suspicious that one is at large, while the whereabouts of the other is a closely guarded secret. Something seems wrong, and not just with Sybil.

A certain breed of criminal should be able to circumvent Sybil, that's not a fault in the system. Criminals with antisocial personality disorder (ASPD) would be criminally asymptomatic, due to their inability to feel guilt, remorse, compassion, or anything that triggers stress after committing a crime. A real life example would be American serial killer Ted Bundy. As the woman explained, that is why they still employ living police, rather than just attach deliminators to drones. While the Sybil System has many faults, not being able to detect the criminally asymptomatic is not one of them.

Quote Quote:
    Tsunemori is exactly one of the cases like Makishima, just that she's not using it for criminal acts. They are just too similar - I remember Makishima's Psycho-Pass went up too when he killed her friend but slowly went down every time Tsunemori was pointing the Dominator at him, just like what happened when she tried to remember the scene and her PP went up temporarily.
    The mirror images of each other, I think. Makishima would probably be termed ASPD in real life. For most people, even criminals, breaking the law would cause some sort of stress reaction. Fear, worry, guilt, anger, denial, hostility. At the very least, most criminals would be afraid of being caught. ASPD is a neurological disorder, neurotransmitters responsible for emotion do not work properly. Makishima simply does not have the full range of emotions needed for his criminal coefficient to rise. He can commit heinous crimes without any strong, emotional reaction. She, on the other hand, does have the full range of emotions, and does react naturally to stressful situations. But she has such good coping skills that she is able to manage high stress situations. There really are people like her in real life too. She fits the profile of a hostage negotiator in real life, able to remain calm at all times, think clearly, stay in the moment, and rationally deal with a life or death situation. While the results are the same for both, the reasons are very different.
    Last edited by Kaiten; January 18, 2013 at 09:43 PM.

5. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh, I thought there would be more episodes focusing on the other characters.

Makishima's speech two episodes ago gives the impression that he believes his condition with the Psycho-Pass is a special case. Although it is rare, it turns out that his trait can be classified and found in other people. (The fact that there's enough data to derive a ratio makes me think that there has been quite a few cases like this in the past- unknown to the general public, of course.)

Obviously Akane doesn't fit the category of someone with ASPD as you mentioned, Kaiten, but I wonder if she would be classified as someone who is criminally asymptotic. Her attributes that have been described later are probably why she didn't end up like Makishima or Touma.

I didn't expect the inverted "Luke, I am your father" revelation; their relationship makes much more sense now.

Quote Originally Posted by phio_chan View Post
    Probably because she considered her job to be very important? She seemed rather flat from the past, showed just a bit emotion during rehabilitation, and later when she met her old friend again. As if she only cared about her friend and to play music with her; others didn't matter. Maybe she still thinks like that until now? Unable to catch Rina... Which brings us to your interesting point, Asa-chan:

I wonder if we will see the continuation of catching-Rina and more-info-about-other-Enforcers in upcoming episodes.
    Hopefully we'll get to see more of Yayoi in the present as an Enforcer. Perhaps we'll understand her character more than we have. Interestingly I don't think I've seen her interact with Akane outside of a professional setting. :S

As mentioned above, I thought there would be more flashback episodes featuring other Enforcers. The fact that a whole episode was devoted to what happened three years ago probably means that we'll see Rin again in later episodes.

Global Moderator 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

There's always this kind of surprise in detective stories, eh? I just like it.

Sibyl System is not perfect. How can it be, when it dictates humans' choices and decides who lives and who dies. At the time it was created, probably such order was needed, but there are always the negative points. Otherwise those resistance forces wouldn't be there. Surely there are some other important matters high above for them to make Inspectors and Enforcers do the "dirty work" of keep using Sibyl even though it may have weaknesses. I don't know, the last scene between Gino's boss and her mentioning Makishima and Tougo is just fishy, haha~

We all know Gino has not-so-lovely past but I didn't expect that it was that kind of relationship with that-Enforcer-whose-name-I-forgot. Poor Gino. I hope he finds a way to clear up his PP.

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zatono's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Psycho Pass is starting to make me cringe a little.

Especially with some of the things that happened in the latest episode...

Spoiler show

I hate shovel 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Doraku's Avatar
    Country
    Uganda
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zatono View Post

Spoiler show
    Many Anime scholars on the internet believe that the scene is related to the death of Shingo Minamino, former Gen Urobuchi's colleague in Nitroplus. He was stabbed in broad daylight, twice, while witnesses around him did not help him at all when they saw it. It's quite disturbing that something like this is loosely based on real-life events.

10. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Horosho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zatono View Post

Spoiler show
    That was actually realistic psychology, called the bystander effect. In that situation it would have been very unrealistic for someone to intervene.

12. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doraku View Post
    Many Anime scholars on the internet believe that the scene is related to the death of Shingo Minamino, former Gen Urobuchi's colleague in Nitroplus. He was stabbed in broad daylight, twice, while witnesses around him did not help him at all when they saw it. It's quite disturbing that something like this is loosely based on real-life events.
    That's very sad. And scary as well that it sounds like 'revenge' to the community at that time.

Episode 14 is rather scary indeed, haha~ The turn-over is pretty drastic. But with this kind of situation, it'll be hard for Akane to do anything because of her relatively good PP. So they'll have to rely more on the Enforcers, I guess? The new helmet is an interesting discovery, and I wonder if Makishima made those people to steal armors to expand this feature of copying-people's-PP-to-commit-a-crime.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

The woman being killed in the middle of a busy street was indeed really creepy. :S The bystanders are brought up in a world where crime is (thought to be) prevented before it occurs so to have something like that actually take place must have been something out of their frame of mind.

Makishima usually operates by manipulating others to commit murders, but it seems as if he's planning something on a grander scale. Speaking of which, he didn't come across as the combatant type so I was surprised that he managed to take down four men by himself.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if people will start looking for Makishima and others to access that helmet. I mean, they can do anything and even Sibyl can't do anything to them, isn't that convenient. Maybe not running towards Makishima right away, but he won't have problem gathering people for his greater plans in the future. I agree that Makishima didn't seem to be fighting type but I'm not surprised that he mastered some skills to at least defend himself.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Since the helmet has become public, it's likely that to-be murderers would want access to the helmet. Makishima, of course, can manipulate them to aid him in his grand plan.

Akane & co. will also start looking for him as quickly as possible since they now know what he looks like; let's face it, Makishima's physical appearance is unusual even for the Psycho-Pass world. They seem to be at an advantage since Makishima isn't aware of this fact nor the possibility that memories could be extracted. On the other hand the crimes with the masked men have distracted the police force away from Makishima, and for that reason they can't look for him yet since they need to handle these crimes first. Hopefully they will find him first before the to-be murderers do; however, it won't be an interesting story if this happens.

17. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH's Funniest Member 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity digitaldude's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

I was talking with niichan about psycho pass and had this to say.

I am liking it a lot. Before the break it was just setting up the story and was a monster of week type show with the serial killers, but they were pretty interesting characters with explained motivations. A bit cliche with the bullied guy that wants revenge, creepy shut-in who spends every day on comp, mad artist and probably the most over used type of serial killer the hunter. I think the hunter interested me the most because he turned out to be some android. His facial expressions towards his death was like he was reliving a warzone, that war might be the reason for sybyl and all that other stuff.

Shogo is a really really interesting villian and he clearly is fighting for freedom, I can't help but agree with most of his words, but at the same time he is a really messed up killer. he basically mindfucked akane, that whole scene was clearly demonstrating everything wrong with the system and I thought that akane's friend would be saved by the other enforcers, but then bam! He slits her throat and just leaves.

As for part 2 they go deeper into the side characters back story, which is good, I like knowing what their motivations are but yayoi's story wasn't that interesting. What I found more interesting were her old musician friends working for the rebellion, I got a feeling we will be seeing more of them, plus the fact that enforcer guns don't work on them, the hacked worker bots and virtual identity thefts means there is a powerful hacker with the rebels. most likely the guy with weird eyes since number one, he got weird eyes. Number two he is probably the guy closest to shogo and he stated a lot that he doesn't like seeing blood so shogo obviously keeping him for a different reason than the serial killers. In that episode Sasayama was much more interesting than yayoi, I want more of him.

One thing I don't like is all this cutetsy little robots and mascots that look like they belong on a kids show, in 90s anime destopia was 100s of armed soldiers dressed in black, wearing gas masks and armed to the teeth. Now it's this crap...Japan is waaaaaay into the moe stuff right now.

As for the new episode, they were clearly social commentary about society especially in big cities. Like the time a homeless man helped a woman that was robbed but then got stabbed, no one helped him til it was too late. it was also obviously saying this society in psycho pass, IS FUCKED UP AND WRONG! Not subtle in any way, but hammers home the message, with another message about over reliance on machines. The killer himself wasn't really interesting, I'm just glad he was caught. Also........shogo is good at fighting, which means he is not just brains. Him and shinya are gonna have an epic fight at the end, I just know it.

I am thinking that this series will probably escalate with the crimes from now on, like massacres or killing enforcers. The show is probably gonna end in one big riot.

19. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice review! Except that...

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldude View Post
    One thing I don't like is all this cutetsy little robots and mascots that look like they belong on a kids show, in 90s anime destopia was 100s of armed soldiers dressed in black, wearing gas masks and armed to the teeth. Now it's this crap...Japan is waaaaaay into the moe stuff right now.
    The cutesy mascots are based off of Wangan-kun, which is a mascot from the police drama/film franchise Odoru Daisousasen (or Bayside Shakedown in English). Wangan-kun is then a incarnation of Piipo-kun- Tokyo Metropolitan Police's real life mascot. I was actually happy Psycho-Pass made a reference to ODS since I'm a huge fan of the show and the films.

*wink wink nudge nudge* One of the main themes in ODS is going against the bureaucracy of the police force.

21. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Loli-Loli Hunter 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Skyguardian's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

This is... AWESOME!

The brutality of the crimes was outstanding and so dark. I never expected this series would be that dark.

I couldn't understand the informatics part though. Why is the tower so suspicious?

I think Sybil will be destroyed and they return to normal armament.

New Reply
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast