Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/14/14 - 7/20/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi , Bleach 588 (2)
New Reply
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Psycho-Pass (Re-Edit Discussion)

Halfway 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Psycho-Pass

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    Wow. One of the best episodes of anime I can remember watching. Quite a twist. I'm dying for next weeks episode. I did not expect the Bureau Chief to be an android, I can't wait to find out what Choe Guseong and Shu saw.

---------- Post added at 09:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:25 PM ----------

Makishima will be hidden away very well by the Ministry of Welfare. They wanted him alive, and are not going give him the chance to easily pass along any of what he has learned. He will probably be tortured, not for his crimes, but for being immune to Sybil. I do agree he will be important later. He seems like he would be a good Hannibal Lechtor type character, providing Kougami and Tsunemori hints and riddles leading to the truth.
    My guess is that it has to do with whatever happens to those 'missing people' or the ones that just 'disappear' as the chief said .

Horosho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you mean the "criminally asymptomatic", like Kouzaburou Touma? That definitely is a possibility. The Ministry could induce a coma, and plug them into the server.

3. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Halfway 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you mean the "criminally asymptomatic", like Kouzaburou Touma? That definitely is a possibility. The Ministry could induce a coma, and plug them into the server.

Yes, I imagine pods or some-kind of facility that store 'brains' into the sever, irregardless of the body.

Global Moderator 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Makishima will be hidden away very well by the Ministry of Welfare. They wanted him alive, and are not going give him the chance to easily pass along any of what he has learned. He will probably be tortured, not for his crimes, but for being immune to Sybil. I do agree he will be important later. He seems like he would be a good Hannibal Lechtor type character, providing Kougami and Tsunemori hints and riddles leading to the truth.
    With the chief still alive, I think she wants him to "disappear" too like what happened with Touma. The Inspectors and Enforcers would have to go with that order, but maybe Gino would finally open his mouth about that. (Or so I hope, lol, I believe Gino is getting better~)

Why would they be plugged to the server then, if that's the case?

Or maybe they played around with his brain, pulling out memories like what happened to Akane previously? Since the chief knows about Makishima from long before, she probably gets an info from Touma.

Sometimes I think there may be someone else inside the government that gives sign to Makishima. More like, this master mind showed Makishima weaknesses of Sibyl, and combined with Makishima's bad experience with it and his "criminally asymptomatic", he becomes the weapon. Maybe someone inside the government is the one who actually wants to destroy Sibyl.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phio_chan View Post
    With the chief still alive, I think she wants him to "disappear" too like what happened with Touma. The Inspectors and Enforcers would have to go with that order, but maybe Gino would finally open his mouth about that. (Or so I hope, lol, I believe Gino is getting better~)
    Whatever they did to Touma, they plan on doing to Makishima. She wanted him alive, I think that means she has more in mind for him than just prison. They are doing something to any captured, criminally asymptomatic people. I have a feeling whatever the Ministry of Welfare does to Makishima will be as horrific, or worse, than the crimes he masterminded. They won't be telling the Crime Bureau anything though.

Gino only knows so much. The public was told Touma "went missing". Gino only knows that after being taken into custody, he "disappeared". He does not know what actually happened to him. The Ministry will place a strict gag order on Tsunemori and Kougami, like they did to the squad that arrested Touma. They will know that he was taken into custody, only to disappear. Nobody witnessed Makishima's arrest. The Ministry could issue almost any public statement, including that he was killed by lethal enforcement.

Quote Quote:
    Why would they be plugged to the server then, if that's the case?
    A living AI. The Ministry induces a coma, plugs them in, and uses the criminal asymmetric as a neural database and living server system for Sybil.

Quote Quote:
    Or maybe they played around with his brain, pulling out memories like what happened to Akane previously? Since the chief knows about Makishima from long before, she probably gets an info from Touma.
    That is a definite possibility. That would raise questions about what the Ministry hopes to learn from stealing Makishima's memories. Somehow I do think they will mess with his head, and memories, before he "disappears".

Quote Quote:
    Sometimes I think there may be someone else inside the government that gives sign to Makishima. More like, this master mind showed Makishima weaknesses of Sibyl, and combined with Makishima's bad experience with it and his "criminally asymptomatic", he becomes the weapon. Maybe someone inside the government is the one who actually wants to destroy Sibyl.
    I get the feeling the real enemy is the Ministry of Defense, and Sybil is the real crime. Choe Guseong said that he didn't even need to shut Sybil down, just releasing pictures would be enough to start a riot, and end the country. I think that Makishima's main role was to lead Tsunemori and her squad to Sybil, initiating the real conflict with the state itself, and Sybil.
    Last edited by Kaiten; February 09, 2013 at 11:22 AM.

7. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

The more I think about it, it feels like this is some kind of experiment. Someone created Sibyl, for personal or other purpose possible, but probably they found out that not everyone could be judged with the scanning system. That can be one of the reasons why these people who are anomaly are caught and made to disappear. Or like you said, Kait, about them being part of Sibyl system itself. Perhaps that's what Gu Seong and Kagari found in the basement.

I believe Makishima is a person more complicated than simply starting the "war" because he wants to be free. While it is possible given his personality and the anomaly he has, I feel like he needs more motivation to do that. Those friends of Yayoi too. But yeah, the purpose was to destroy Sibyl, or at least to let public knows the truth behind the system that is so efficient that it's scary.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Sybil was probably created as a means of societal control, a way for the government to control the population. I take it as a metaphor for things like career aptitude exams, IQ tests, standardized testing, and any other forms of social modeling that do not (or can not) account for individuality or personality. I think the series is drawing to draw parallels between how technology and central planning are robbing people of free will.

---------- Post added at 02:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:17 PM ----------

Based on what the Chief said to Gino in episode 13, no one ever thought Sybil would be perfect. They anticipated that there would be people like Makishima who would be able to fall through cracks in the system. That is why the maintain a human police force, rather than place dominaters on drones. They need people who can think, and act as a safety net if Sybil misses something.

10. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Rewriter 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member naruto-niichan's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

12. Like 7 Member(s) likes this post
    MH's Funniest Member 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity digitaldude's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the last one actually, because it leaves it all up to the imagination, but if they do reveal it I think it'd probably be powered by naked ladies with wires connecting their bodies to some computer.

Spoiler show

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Spoiler: A conversation is already going so my thoughts on the episode is under the cut show

As to what Sybil is, Choe was staring at the white room and claimed that there would be riots if people saw what it really was. Kagari saw it too, but he didn't seem to be in great shock going by my (faulty) memory. Personally I think it's something that wouldn't be understood to an average person right away. There has been many references to philosophy and literature throughout the series so I think it might be related/referencing a figure or a character from something... okay, now that I think about it some more, I have no idea.

Out of the choices that Niichan posted, I'd go with the second last one: everyone is an android and the asymptotic people are the last humans.

15. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    MH's Funniest Member 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity digitaldude's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

But we have seen people bleeding and their guts flying everywhere, when it's an android getting shot up you only see the machine parts, I would say maybe the robots are the elites of the society?

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

We share the same feelings, I agree with your spoiler box, Asa-chan.

About the chief herself, oh well. The reason that she could manipulate a machined device like Dominator directly, on her will, must've meant something pretty big. We've seen that she's a robot (or half robot at least, whatever) so she may have been connected to the core of Sibyl so she can pass judgment like Sibyl does or manipulate it and to keep the secrets of Sibyl safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Asarii View Post
    Out of the choices that Niichan posted, I'd go with the second last one: everyone is an android and the asymptotic people are the last humans.
    Quote Originally Posted by digitaldude View Post
    But we have seen people bleeding and their guts flying everywhere, when it's an android getting shot up you only see the machine parts, I would say maybe the robots are the elites of the society?
    That reminds me of the last villain, one of Makishima's toys who hunt after Kougami and Yuri, who was also a machine. He mentioned about how humans should've acknowledged the power of technology more, changing their bodies, and such. That sounds like they're planning to replace humanity with a system which can be controlled from far away from one source to keep all under control. Sibyl could be the start.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Hakuteiken's Avatar
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Nicely jinxed Kagari. I thought I'd love to see a flashback regarding how he was recruited and instead, received..

Quote Originally Posted by Asarii View Post
    As to what Sybil is, Choe was staring at the white room and claimed that there would be riots if people saw what it really was. Kagari saw it too, but he didn't seem to be in great shock going by my (faulty) memory. Personally I think it's something that wouldn't be understood to an average person right away. There has been many references to philosophy and literature throughout the series so I think it might be related/referencing a figure or a character from something... okay, now that I think about it some more, I have no idea.

A cultural reference sounds good, but I don't think people would go berserk upon seeing it, and if it really isn't something the average person could get a hold of, there really is no chance. It took some good time for those people that a woman was getting killed right in front of their eyes. They suggested it was a hologram show, so, they aren't even average

Rewriter 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member naruto-niichan's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Answer:
    Spoiler show

My reaction:
    Spoiler show

Not that I'm disappointed or anything but that really isn't anything unexpected. Didn't expect Makishima's old friend and for a second I thought maybe Sibyl uses the criminally asymptomatic people to guard it but oh well, how things turned out is okay for me.

Loved Makishima's reaction though and I'm reall curious on what he plans to do now. One thing I love about this guy is that you can't pinpoint what he really wants and it's hard to predict what he will do next. Will he help Kogami in unveiling the mystery behind Sybil? Will he try to destroy it himself? Or is he aiming for world domination next?

One thing's for sure: He will enjoy this game that is called life.

20. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Hakuteiken's Avatar
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, it looks like Makishima isn't aiming to become the leading force of this world or something, but he just wants his self-enjoyment he calls actions based on will to live on, and for that to happen, Sibyl's existence should be erased.
    I don't think he's going to directly help Kogami, but his actions will speak for themselves, pointing out his true motives.
    A truly intriguing character that is.

New Reply
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast