Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!

View Poll Results: Ha Jinsung: Do you think he will flip loyalty on FUG at some point?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

7 77.78%
  • No

2 22.22%
  • Other (please post)

0 0%
New Reply

Thread: Tower of God Chapter 115 Review

MH's Best Reviewer MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Tower of God Chapter 115 Review

I decided to do a single chapter review for this week since it's the final chapter of this arc.

There was only one person who picked right in last week's poll about what would happen with Karaka and Jinsung, 0Xellos (Well done!). The majority thought it would be off panel.

Now onto the review.

Chapter 115 Review

The son of Skeletor cometh!

The Plot

Things wrapped up in this chapter from not only the Zygaena arc but quite a few other things as well. Starting with Ha Jinsung and Karaka's meeting, which introduced Karaka as a new antagonist and threat to Baam and his team (which I will cover in more detail in the points of interest)

Going on to the team's house we see Viole still unconscious but his team really just trying to figure out how then can help him. Wangan, in a fairly daring act, decides to ask the only guide they know, how to get Viole to his friends. Stunningly, she answers him and informs him that the will be at some workshop battle on the 30th Floor in 2 years and all of Baam's friends will be there. Which gives this new group a firm and attainable goal.

Meanwhile, we see Baam's old group planning to meet at the Workshop battle in 2 years confirming what Hwa Ryu said. We also learn that apparently the strong half of the group failed a test and has been held up a full year; which we hear Androssi () and Anak arguing about in the background.

The Art

Good but not perfect. I thought Karaka looked very impressive with his Bone Mummy outfit and his whole scene successfully came across as very dark and foreboding; with very good use of light and shadows.

The rest was much more casually drawn, but solid for the most part. Hwa Ryu's talk with Wangan was a highpoint. There were some issues though, like Yihwa who seemed to have the wrong eye-color in her nurse outfit for some reason and Leesoo's facial expression was kinda.... creepy. Which I don't think was intentional.

Overall Rating

A solid, though imperfect, ending chapter for a story arc which set things up for a time skip while at the same time teasing us with what will await for Baam and all his friends on the other side.

I give it a 4 out of 5

Points of Interest

The Showdown

The 30th Floor will be lucky to survive what will happen there in 2 years.

As we learned this week the workshop battle on the 30th floor is going to be the stage for the big reunion but have we all really thought about what is actually set to take place there.

Baam's friends are going to learn he's alive, which FUG is not going to like because at the very least it means the tracking rings are going to get thrown into the nearest volcano; which in turn should cause Karaka and his goons to spring into action. Then there is Ha Jinsung to consider. What will he do when Karaka forces him to make a choice between Baam and FUG?

Also Rachel is going to be exposed to all as a crazy and deceitful little gremlin of a person. Who knows what she will do when her secrets are revealed and what others may try to do to her.

The only thing we can probably be sure of is that trouble is waiting on the 30th Floor.

Baam's Enemy

As a rule, good guys don't wear masks made of bone.

Karaka got pretty well showcased as the personification of FUG's threat to Baam's friends, making him a likely antagonist going forward. As someone who is apparently far more aggressive than Ha Jinsung and far less accommodating, he's pretty clearly the biggest threat to Baam's friends right now.

Interestingly enough, he also seems to be sold on the idea that Ha Jinsung can not be trusted to handle the situation with Baam; an idea that apparently some FUG elders share. This makes any move by Karaka a possible breaking point between FUG and Jinsung; where he must choose between his loyalty to FUG and his loyalty to his beloved student.

In many ways Karaka is the first real villain since Yu Han Sung and I think we can expect him to become quite the thorn in Baam's side before it's all said and done.

A Puzzle Wrapped in an Enigma Wearing an Eye-patch

There is this guy named Karaka that might disagree with you on that.....

In my opinion, the biggest oddity in these last two chapters has been Hwa Ryun. Her actions are absolutely confounding. Just when I was ready to write her off as a "bad guy", due her actions regarding Baam and FUG, she decides to help Yihwa by giving her a push in the right direction. Now she provides the information Wangan needs to reunite Baam with his friends even though it flies in the face of FUG's goals; but why?!

This even goes back to her explaining to Wangan about why Baam is really working for them. I assumed she revealed that out of self-righteousness but now it seems she did it intentionally fully knowing the consequences; but WHY?!

Does she have her own agenda? Or is she just a fruit loop? What do you think; because I honestly have no idea.
    Last edited by Jammin; October 10, 2012 at 12:31 PM.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]
    Otogi Taisen Fantasma [Esp. for Harem Fans]

2. Thanks 8 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Monsterguy's Avatar
    Country
    Slovenia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tower of God Chapter 115 Review

In my opinion Hwa Ryun action's depend from the situation. In this manner she does what she is told to by a superior from FUG (before it was Yu Han Sung, now it is Ha Jinsung, why even Karaka calls him master).

She looks to me as a person that has entrusted her own self (life, emotions,... - everything and entirely) to FUG (look at Poken --> that Poken does everything Karaka tells him to do with no questions, and he even see's Karaka as a god, truly pure religion) !!!

Personally I see Hwa Ryun like a girl who really suffered from something(I imagine her place might have been destroyed, and she tossed aside in a corner to die in misery). Than with nothing left she might have wanted revenge, started climbing, with using all her strength killed the person responsible for her misfourtune. But at that same time ended up meeting a member from FUG who would explain to her everything making her realize(if seeing the bigger picture) it is largely or almost entirely Zahard empire's fault for what happened to her (her suffering).
    So empty on the inside she might than have fallen completely into FUG's hands and surrendered herself to them completely, why she is powerless/not strong enough against Zahard, 10 families, and other "bigger fish"(Urek,...).

Well at least that was my "first impression" of her. But through the time when more and more the story unfolds itself, she is becoming more and more mysterious to me, with similar reasons as you Jammin said in your review.

That's why I also want to hear what other's are thinking about her !!!
    Last edited by Monsterguy; October 10, 2012 at 03:38 PM. Reason: spelling
    Spoiler: sample from originally colourful manhwa Tower of God show

It never ceases to amaze me:
    "How are authors of famous manhwa / manga,... able to create such amazing works???"

4. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Host Samurai's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Jammin, what about Karaka's ring? IMO that's the biggest enigma alongside Hwa Ryun. We all thought that Wangnan was the "legitimate" son of Zahard due to him possesing a ring with the three crison eyes. Now we got a Slayer, who is openly wearing it like a common ring, while Wangnan, who hides his like his very life depends on it. Didn't that spark your interest, I know you got to see a glimpse of Androssi but even so, you couldn't have missed that.

SIU is such a tease, I'm wondering now, if Karaka and Wangnan are somehow related? And what exactly Hwa Ryun's words mean, when she called Wangnan:"Prince of the Red Light District". That sentence further implies that he might be Zahards only son but since Karaka also possess the same ring, I'm confused as hell.

By the way, I approve of that awesome design that is this sections Icon.

Credits:Shinsatsu

6. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH's Best Reviewer MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Monsterguy View Post
    In my opinion Hwa Ryun action's depend from the situation. In this manner she does what she is told to by a superior from FUG (before it was Yu Han Sung, now it is Ha Jinsung, why even Karaka calls him master).

She looks to me as a person that has entrusted her own self (life, emotions,... - everything and entirely) to FUG (look at Poken --> that Poken does everything Karaka tells him to do with no questions, and he even see's Karaka as a god, truly pure religion) !!!

Personally I see Hwa Ryun like a girl who really suffered from something(I imagine her place might have been destroyed, and she tossed aside in a corner to die in misery). Than with nothing left she might have wanted revenge, started climbing, with using all her strength killed the peron responsible for her misfourtune. But at that same time ended up meeting a member from FUG who would explain to her everything making her realize(if seeing the bigger picture) it is largely or almost entirely Zahard empire's fault for what happened to her (her suffering).
    So empty on the inside she might than have fallen completely into FUG's hands and surrendered herself to them completely, why she is powerless/not strong enough against Zahard, 10 families, and other "bigger fish"(Urek,...).

Well at least that was my "first impression" of her. But through the time when more and more the story unfolds itself, she is becoming more and more mysterious to me, with similar reasons as you Jammin said in your review.

Interesting.

I wish I had a cohrent opinion to add but I really don't. All I really got is a gut feeling. Which is that she's doing what she's doing for a reason but I can't even begin to see what that reason could be. What could she achieve by guiding Rachel to betray Baam then turning Baam over to FUG then guiding him to a place where he can undermine FUG's plans?

The only thing gained by that, which I can see, is that it drives a certain chapter reviewer insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Host Samurai View Post
    Jammin, what about Karaka's ring? IMO that's the biggest enigma alongside Hwa Ryun. We all thought that Wangnan was the "legitimate" son of Zahard due to him possesing a ring with the three crison eyes. Now we got a Slayer, who is openly wearing it like a common ring, while Wangnan, who hides his like his very life depends on it. Didn't that spark your interest, I know you got to see a glimpse of Androssi but even so, you couldn't have missed that.

SIU is such a tease, I'm wondering now, if Karaka and Wangnan are somehow related? And what exactly Hwa Ryun's words mean, when she called Wangnan:"Prince of the Red Light District". That sentence further implies that he might be Zahards only son but since Karaka also possess the same ring, I'm confused as hell.

By the way, I approve of that awesome design that is this sections Icon.
    I didn't forget but, after some thought, just decided not to mention it.

Because the more I thought about it the more that just seemed like something I would end up droning on about for several paragraphs and never be able to say much of value about it. Karaka has one of those Zahard symbols but those symbols are widespread so it could mean a bunch of things or nothing at all. Maybe it's his symbol and it carries some personal significance or maybe it's a trophy of someone he killed (which would seem likely for a slayer or Zahards). It could have come from a lot of different places and mean a lot of different things.

So I just decided to leave it out for now and come back to it later when we find out what it means.
    Last edited by Jammin; October 10, 2012 at 06:18 PM.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]
    Otogi Taisen Fantasma [Esp. for Harem Fans]

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member mup's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Monsterguy View Post

Personally I see Hwa Ryun like a girl who really suffered from something(I imagine her place might have been destroyed, and she tossed aside in a corner to die in misery). Than with nothing left she might have wanted revenge, started climbing, with using all her strength killed the person responsible for her misfourtune. But at that same time ended up meeting a member from FUG who would explain to her everything making her realize(if seeing the bigger picture) it is largely or almost entirely Zahard empire's fault for what happened to her (her suffering).

that just show how complex of a character she really is she good is she Bad but i think why most of us are really confuse is well for me that she hardly talk so her personality is unknown love TOG and it mystery

9. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity TheBoss's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Jamm I'll just answer the question and read the review later cuz I've no time now I'll edit later ^^

Come on guys Ha Jinsung turned his family away !!!
    No one would do that if they don't have a strong wish, like Anak's mother, so he wouldn't throw everything away just because he thinks baam is cute
    FUG can't be trusted remember?

11. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted FrostyMouse's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if Jinsung turned on the Ha family because he knew that he'd never get the accolades with them that Yuri would, even if he was better than she was. I think Jinsung's ranked somewhere between 50-200, and eventually, even though he's been part of the Ha family for hundreds of years, once Yuri surpasses him, which is due to happen at some point, what would he have then? He'd just be a high level High Ranker, but he would've just been surpassed by Yuri and shunted to the side by the Princess system. I think part of his quitting the Ha family could be that women have the advantage at this point because of the Princess system. Yuri was supremely talented anyway, and SIU's info has noted that Yuri was seen as being incredibly similar to the Ha family head, Ha Yurin, (plus they seem to believe that she'll be able to unite all of the 13 Month Series weapons under the Ha family banner) and when you add in the power and respect she gains through the Princess system, Jinsung can't compare.

Perhaps I'm reaching on this one, but I could see that as a legitimate reason for why Jinsung would turn his back on the Ha family and what it stands for, the Zahard royalty.

I have no idea where Jinsung will stand eventually when the 30th floor battle comes to a head. He wants Zahard dealt with, but once Baam joins his S1 friends, FUG will have no hold over Baam. It's not as if you can threaten Baam with his friends' lives once he's with them as killing them would accomplish nothing as he wouldn't work for FUG anymore. Assuming Jinsung knew that Hwa Ryun would inform Wangnan about the Workshop Battle, he claims that having all of Baam's friends in one place would make it easier to control Baam, so perhaps he really does have some plan as he told Karaka.

I think that in at end of this arc, Yuri will arrive and face off with and defeat Jinsung.

In terms of Hwa Ryun, even though she says that she's "an FUG," she's still a Guide by trade, so she'd still be willing to help people, although leading Baam to the Workshop Battle could just be part of Jinsung's plan. Moreover, it does seem as if Hwa Ryun's not been part of mainstream society for a long time as Evan's shocked to see her on the Floor of Test. Perhaps she, like Jinsung, found a reason to leave her regular life and join FUG.

13. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Mazino's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

i think Baam has some personal magnetism,which draws the ppl closer to him,cuz of his unselfish behaviour
    thats why imo,Jinsung will help Baam when it comes to the worst,also FUG doesnt seem trustworthy at all ...
    maybe it could be the reason for Hwa Ryun to act like this,cuz she took a liking to Baam

15. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Slovakia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mazino View Post
    i think Baam has some personal magnetism,which draws the ppl closer to him,cuz of his unselfish behaviour
    thats why imo,Jinsung will help Baam when it comes to the worst,also FUG doesnt seem trustworthy at all ...
    maybe it could be the reason for Hwa Ryun to act like this,cuz she took a liking to Baam
    and Baam needs a yandere into his harem (but, he doesn't need Jinsung!)
    Erfworld

Quote Originally Posted by Bromamura View Post
    Meh can't have Bleach without fan raging, makes it fun.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity TheBoss's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

ahhh Hwa Ryun, my favorite red haired girl.
    Jamm don't give up on thinking, insanity is only a matter of opinion xD
    Her actions are no less confounding than almost anyone related to FUG, even Yu Han Sung and that "protect the tower at all cost" action of his is weird if you look that he is lurking with FUG.
    But my theory goes all down to Headon. He must have something to do with all of it, since he is the one that pushed rachel to that state and made the bet with her.
    Well doesn't Jinsung have a plan? And isn't Hwa close to Jinsung? So all that she told wangnan must be connected with Jinsung's plan. We all know how manipulative she can be( knowing that she tricked even Koon) so Wangnan is like a puppy next to her xD

New Reply