Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/14/14 - 4/20/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by kewl0210
New Reply
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 133

Thread: What are your thoughts on Chimera Ant arc haters ?

  1. #16
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member mrsticky005's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Country
    United States
    Age
    25
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,593
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What are your thoughts on Chimera Ant arc haters ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Phantron View Post
    Since there's no new HXH there isn't very much to talk about.

    While we probably will never know the true reason for the hiatus, in the interviews with Togashi it seems to imply he got frustrated with how everything was going and either didn't have the creative energy or the whatever to finish.

    So the Ants arc isn't something like Yorknew or GI that is started as and finished as one coherent arc. The hiatus occurred at a spot where it is not clear to anybody how the story can finish in a satisfactory way.

    Now whether the way the Ant arc ended is satisfactory or not is likely a matter of personal opinion but it was never smooth sailing. I remember during the hiatus there are all kinds of rampant speculation on how it'd end, and none of the proposed endings was satisfactory to everyone. Let's not pretend Togashi has some thought process that nobody else can possibly understand so he can come up with this magical ending that will appease everyone even though repeated efforts by fans failed to produce such a solution.

    That is, when I see people talk about other popular manga about how this event should've gone that way, usually someone with genuinely good idea will come up with something that the consensus can agree as a good way to resolve this particular arc. This never happened in HXH. For every brilliant idea you'll always have someone who can point you somewhere else in HXH on your idea totally violates what it means to be HXH. And in the end, Togashi's solution turns out to be no better than the crowdsource ideas. Some people think it's great and some people think it's an affront to everything HXH stands for. I don't particularly dislike the Ant arc but I think it's responsible for digging HXH into a bigger hole but that comes after the Ant arc. It's not a good ending but perhaps there really was no way to end the Ant arc in a satisfactory manner.
    Well it ended satisfactorily for me. In fact I think it was the best ending for it.

    The arc I had the most qualms with was intially the election arc---but this was mostly due to the Chimera Ant arc being intense
    and me having certain expectations about Pariston based off the hints in the Chimera Ant arc. But now looking at it again
    I think the Election Arc is pretty good too. It's got a similar vibe to Trick Tower.

  2. #17
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Noonealive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    California
    Country
    United States
    Age
    23
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    278
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What are your thoughts on Chimera Ant arc haters ?

    The exposition is what gets to people...People have short attention spans and don't like reading. Thats another issue of the ant arc. People say it's to long and dragged.

    I loved the arc. Introduced something new like always,,, the characters were badass....the fights were badass...the story was badass...

    The sad thing is people also dislike the arc because of Gon's "random power up"...Mereum being a Cell counterfeit....The poison from the bomb...People resort to petty things to say why the arc sucked.

    The arc gives you the feeling that you could re-read it many times and still find something new.

  3. #18
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member GingFuriksu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    NY
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    391
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What are your thoughts on Chimera Ant arc haters ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Noonealive View Post
    The exposition is what gets to people...People have short attention spans and don't like reading. Thats another issue of the ant arc. People say it's to long and dragged.

    I loved the arc. Introduced something new like always,,, the characters were badass....the fights were badass...the story was badass...

    The sad thing is people also dislike the arc because of Gon's "random power up"...Mereum being a Cell counterfeit....The poison from the bomb...People resort to petty things to say why the arc sucked.

    The arc gives you the feeling that you could re-read it many times and still find something new.
    Heh, I find something new everytime I re-read HxH period

  4. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
  5. #19
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,079
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What are your thoughts on Chimera Ant arc haters ?

    I remember seeing a general literary critique that you can think of any work of fiction as having a crediability budget. Once you run out of that nobody is going to take your story seriously. Depending on the nature of the story you can have a lot or very little of it. For example, Dragonball has a nearly infinite crediability budget because Dragonballs are part of the setting and when you can make wishes to revive the dead or live forever, it's very hard to do anything that'd be so crazy to strain your credability budget. The popular Shonens like Naruto, One Piece, and Bleach also starts with a ton of credabilty budget, ironically because all these series established very early that they're not in a credible world so it's very hard to actually run out of this budget.

    The problem with the Chimaera Ant is that it used up the entire crediabilty budget for HXH in one story arc, which isn't very much to begin with because HXH has a very tight and rigid world. The Rose is the primary culprit. For the most part, the guys who don't like the Ants arc (and I'm one of them) has a reaction that's roughly like: "Okay I'll buy this Rose thing once but there better not be anything like this ever again." Of course then the next arc you got Alluka which is like taking a jumbo loan on your credability budget. You can have Alluka and you can have the Rose but you can't have both, and since Alluka is cute and generally more liked than Mereym who is usually ridiculed as a Cell clone (unfair criticism, but that's life), more of the blame goes into the Ants arc than the Election arc.

  6. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  7. #20
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member GingFuriksu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    NY
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    391
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What are your thoughts on Chimera Ant arc haters ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Phantron View Post
    I remember seeing a general literary critique that you can think of any work of fiction as having a crediability budget. Once you run out of that nobody is going to take your story seriously. Depending on the nature of the story you can have a lot or very little of it. For example, Dragonball has a nearly infinite crediability budget because Dragonballs are part of the setting and when you can make wishes to revive the dead or live forever, it's very hard to do anything that'd be so crazy to strain your credability budget. The popular Shonens like Naruto, One Piece, and Bleach also starts with a ton of credabilty budget, ironically because all these series established very early that they're not in a credible world so it's very hard to actually run out of this budget.

    The problem with the Chimaera Ant is that it used up the entire crediabilty budget for HXH in one story arc, which isn't very much to begin with because HXH has a very tight and rigid world. The Rose is the primary culprit. For the most part, the guys who don't like the Ants arc (and I'm one of them) has a reaction that's roughly like: "Okay I'll buy this Rose thing once but there better not be anything like this ever again." Of course then the next arc you got Alluka which is like taking a jumbo loan on your credability budget. You can have Alluka and you can have the Rose but you can't have both, and since Alluka is cute and generally more liked than Mereym who is usually ridiculed as a Cell clone (unfair criticism, but that's life), more of the blame goes into the Ants arc than the Election arc.
    I honestly don't understand the problem with the rose... I CAN however understand the problem with Alluka, which I'm sure something is going to happen that will cancel out that power. For example, when Killua told her for Nanika to never come out again, someone might kidnap her example - the Troupe to get the nen chain out of Chrollo. To prevent that from happening maybe she seals off Nanika ? But who knows, we'll all see in the future. I'm sure that power isn't going to be around for much longer.

  8. #21
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,079
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What are your thoughts on Chimera Ant arc haters ?

    Quote Originally Posted by GingFuriksu View Post
    I honestly don't understand the problem with the rose... I CAN however understand the problem with Alluka, which I'm sure something is going to happen that will cancel out that power. For example, when Killua told her for Nanika to never come out again, someone might kidnap her example - the Troupe to get the nen chain out of Chrollo. To prevent that from happening maybe she seals off Nanika ? But who knows, we'll all see in the future. I'm sure that power isn't going to be around for much longer.
    The problem with Rose is that the Ants went through all the trouble to set up a puppet government which implies they're actually interested in avoiding a direct confrontation with humanity until they're ready, but they've never heard of the equivlaent of nukes in a world where nuclear proliferation is widespread. After all, the country they just took over presumably has a good stockpile of Rose themselves. That's not to say they'd necessarily know how to deal with the Rose, so the fact that the Rose can kill the Ants is fine. The part that stretches the credability budget is that the super intelligent Meryem and Pufu (who is also politically savvy) doesn't even know such a weapon exists. You can sort of handwave some plausible explanation on why the Rose would work on Meryem had he knew about it, or why didn't Morel and Meleoron just team up and have Morel inhale a container of the Rose poison and spew it out instead, but you can't hand wave the part that neither Meryem nor Pufu has ever heard of this weapon's existence.

    At any rate Alluka is a far greater strain against the credability budget than the Rose, though HXH operates under a very low credability budget due to its precise and rigid worldview. One can also argue Alluka's appearance is simply a plot device to clean up the aftermath of the Gon versus Pitou fight. At any rate, for whatever reason relatively few people hate Alluka (probably because he/she/it is cute) but it's pretty obvious that Ants + Alluka >>> Credability, so if you don't blame it on Alluka, you end up having to blame it on the Ants. I'm of the opinion that the Ants arc uses up exactly all the credability HXH has left so I put the blame on the next story that would've ran over its budget even without the Ant arc, but I can understand people blaming the Ant arc as what started this chain of out of control credability crisis.

  9. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
  10. #22
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member thatguy3331's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Country
    United States
    Age
    19
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    528
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What are your thoughts on Chimera Ant arc haters ?

    Well I myself find this to be one pf my favorite arcs, and I while I was lucky about not having to deal with the hiatuses, I did have to deal with crappy art, though it didn't bug me too much as I simply reminded myself they're better in the volumes and I am reading it illegally anyhow... NO HD ART FOR ME!

    Now even though I like this arc alot I can definetly understand the ants, now I have no problem with the species in thinking they eliminated some realistic vibe, it acctually made it more dangerous and thrilling for me, but me personally I hate...hate...that FOADFGHWESing...butterfly... you know what, lets not go there...my hatred is mostly targeted towards one specific ant...

    I'd respect their opinion, as a blog site I got to; shonenbeam, didn't like the arc much (though they were dealing with hiatuses and art as well) and I respect the folk there alot, but I disagree with them on the arc all the same.

    Guess what I liked about it is that it had alot of things HxH had been that made me like it to begin with: the danger, the strategies, the (relative) realisim and the application of nen and the job of being a hunter. Not to mention Gon and Killua recieved some nice development and it shows how, as awesome as he is, Hisoka dosn't take away the whole show (however those spiders were there...) If there was anything I disliked, its that that damn unmentionable butterfly didn't get a more greulsome death...seriously HxH you can do better than that!!
    for anyone who likes my HxH mots, find em all here! and here too! My blog


  11. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  12. #23
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member GingFuriksu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    NY
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    391
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What are your thoughts on Chimera Ant arc haters ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Phantron View Post
    The problem with Rose is that the Ants went through all the trouble to set up a puppet government which implies they're actually interested in avoiding a direct confrontation with humanity until they're ready, but they've never heard of the equivlaent of nukes in a world where nuclear proliferation is widespread. After all, the country they just took over presumably has a good stockpile of Rose themselves. That's not to say they'd necessarily know how to deal with the Rose, so the fact that the Rose can kill the Ants is fine. The part that stretches the credability budget is that the super intelligent Meryem and Pufu (who is also politically savvy) doesn't even know such a weapon exists. You can sort of handwave some plausible explanation on why the Rose would work on Meryem had he knew about it, or why didn't Morel and Meleoron just team up and have Morel inhale a container of the Rose poison and spew it out instead, but you can't hand wave the part that neither Meryem nor Pufu has ever heard of this weapon's existence.

    At any rate Alluka is a far greater strain against the credability budget than the Rose, though HXH operates under a very low credability budget due to its precise and rigid worldview. One can also argue Alluka's appearance is simply a plot device to clean up the aftermath of the Gon versus Pitou fight. At any rate, for whatever reason relatively few people hate Alluka (probably because he/she/it is cute) but it's pretty obvious that Ants + Alluka >>> Credability, so if you don't blame it on Alluka, you end up having to blame it on the Ants. I'm of the opinion that the Ants arc uses up exactly all the credability HXH has left so I put the blame on the next story that would've ran over its budget even without the Ant arc, but I can understand people blaming the Ant arc as what started this chain of out of control credability crisis.
    I guess I can understand where you're coming from with the Ant arc, but in my personal opinion, the good heavily out weights the bad.
    Examples - Gon's transformation, not only physically but emotionally and mentally, which makes him in my opinion the best " naive " shonen protagonist. Mereum... nough said lol He is DEFINITELY one of the best Shonen villain, if not THE best. Killua's development and removing the needle from his head. Introducing awesome characters such as Knuckle, Palm, Morel, the ants ( I personally loved them and the concept ) etc. I loved the arc and in my opinion its the best written arc in the series. It isn't my personal favorite though, lol its my second favorite. My favorite arc in HxH is the YorkNew arc.

  13. #24
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member TheAmericandream's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Maryland
    Country
    United States
    Age
    28
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    507
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What are your thoughts on Chimera Ant arc haters ?

    I like the Chimera Ant arc, I mostly don't like the ending payoff. I think I was slightly influenced by all the build up and hiatuses, I was there for ALL of them since 2005. It was rough, I find the Chimera Ant arc to be overly long compared to Yorknew or Greed Island which are very tight but still remain complex. I am not really a huge fan of Gon's character arc in NGL I guess, his fight with Pitou did nothing for me. On the other hand I love everything done with Killua's character and after Yorknew despite my faults with it, its my second favorite arc in the series. It features some of Togashi's best writing, I mostly just have issues with the pacing and how the whole Kite/Gon/Pitou situation was handled.

    I will try to elaborate a bit more on my feelings with the arc.
    Freddy? ....No, HISOKA!!-Agon's famous last words.

  14. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
  15. #25
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member mrsticky005's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Country
    United States
    Age
    25
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,593
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What are your thoughts on Chimera Ant arc haters ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Noonealive View Post
    The exposition is what gets to people...People have short attention spans and don't like reading. Thats another issue of the ant arc. People say it's to long and dragged.

    I loved the arc. Introduced something new like always,,, the characters were badass....the fights were badass...the story was badass...

    The sad thing is people also dislike the arc because of Gon's "random power up"...Mereum being a Cell counterfeit....The poison from the bomb...People resort to petty things to say why the arc sucked.

    The arc gives you the feeling that you could re-read it many times and still find something new.

    And yet ironically enough people just chew through Death Note which
    although great is as wordy as hell and has a lot less action. (though a billion times more "DRAMA")

    I think the long and dragged argument is quite often confused with the hiatus effect.
    The ant arc is long but a LOT happens in it. Don't be surprise to hear "MAN I TOTALLY FORGOT ABOUT THAT PART!" when Madhouse gets there.

    Indeed. I loved it too. Ironically for some of the reasons people hated it.

    I think I might have been initially disappointed with Gon's power up--for half a second. But that beat down of Pitou was just beautiful.

    I don't read DBZ so the cell argument never meant anything to me. Though I have my doubts Cell ever had a "Komugi".

    I love the Poor Man's Rose. Togashi had some serious balls to kill off two major characters in such an "un-shonen" manner and I approve!
    To me the Poor Man's Rose sums up why I love HxH. Because Togashi doesn't give a shit about how shonen is "supposed to be".

  16. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  17. #26
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,079
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What are your thoughts on Chimera Ant arc haters ?

    Pufu's problem is the fact that Togashi usually likes to abuse his sub characters relative to how popular they are. One of the highlights people are looking for in the Ant arc is to see just how horribly can Pufu die. After all we know he already commited enough crime to have death sentence 20 times for daring to conspire against Meryem's woman. But instead he had a relatively painless death where he just died offscreen to the poison because nobody actually liked Pufu so Togashi isn't going to give you the satisfaction of seeing a hated character die horribly. On the other hand the popular Pitou got killed in graphic detail against some borderline Deus Ex Machina power. If you're familiar with Togashi's style it's really obvious he enjoys killing fan's favorite character horribly (Ponz was the first victim) especially if they resemble cute/attractive girls. It's not so much as Pitou's defeat is all that improbable but that a lot of people see Pitou's graphic death as Togashi screwing the fans and it's probably correct.

    ---------- Post added at 02:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 AM ----------

    It's generally pretty well understood that HXH, as a whole, is very good. Therefore, people rarely talk about what's good in HXH because it's understood that it's very good and the quality of an arc is measured by how many flaws it has (possibly none) because it'll take you a very long time to list eveything that's good about every major arc. I saw a quote saying one year of HXH is always better than one year of Bleach, including the years where you may have absolutely nothing. It's kind of exaggerated but it's generally accepted that the value of each chapter of HXH is very high, often enough to make up for its utter lack of reliability (as in whether you'll see any HXH chapter on any particular week).

    For the overly verbose description stuff, sometimes it's needed but other times it reads like something you'd write in a high school English class where your teacher gave you a topic of trying to explain why grapefruit represents the symbol of life. It's not bad but I don't think it's as clever as people say it is. I don't mind it but I don't feel it's particularly better than the standard writing expected in Shonen manga and there isn't really anything deep or meaningful beyond some superficial 'humanity is the greatest evil' self flogging thing.

    Un-shonen isn't a pass for originality let alone good. HXH's worldview seems to have an equivaelent of UN but the power is more fractured, probably due to a much higher nuclear proliferation (every random country has the Rose). Therefore, using Rose has significant political ramifications against another power that has the same weapons (the coverup story says Diego was trying to blow his own people up with Rose, implying the country must have these weapons for the coverup to be believeable). You can assume in a world of high nuclear proliferation, if you see a particular nation launch the nukes it's likely to get into some kind of chain reaction that leads to a world war and the Ants are in possession of the Rose, so using this weapon is extremely dangerous from a political point of view. It's true that when you consider the type of ruler Meryem is (values perfection, but does not feel the need to destroy your toys if he can't have it) it seems unlikely he'd ever give the 'launch the nukes' order but it's just a lot of uncertainty to worry about, so instead Meryem and Pufu are just magically completely unaware of the said weapon's existence. To further complicate things, while the reader is pretty sure Meryem would almost never give a 'launch nukes' order, there is absolutely no way for the Hunters to infer this because they know nothing about Meryem.

    Now having a volume where a bunch of guys are arguing over nuclear deterrence and whether someone they've never met will give the order to launch nukes is pretty hard to deal with and there's no guaranteed that Togashi would be able to offer a plausible explanation since in real life we never had a nuclear launch event against another power with the same capability so we can only speculate what happens. But that's what HXH has to face given it closely mirrors real life especially at the political level so you can't just handwave those details.

    I'd say the Ants arc have great components but resulting product was never close to the sum of its parts. There's an argument saying perhaps Togashi isn't as good at doing battle scenes as commonly believed which is why there's only one real meaningful fight while the rest are a mix of a blowout and people talking about nebulous stuff. I don't necessarily agree with it but I do think there's a trend of too much talking and blowout and not enough meaningful fighting in HXH recently.

  18. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  19. #27
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member mrsticky005's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Country
    United States
    Age
    25
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,593
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What are your thoughts on Chimera Ant arc haters ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Phantron View Post
    Pufu's problem is the fact that Togashi usually likes to abuse his sub characters relative to how popular they are. One of the highlights people are looking for in the Ant arc is to see just how horribly can Pufu die. After all we know he already commited enough crime to have death sentence 20 times for daring to conspire against Meryem's woman. But instead he had a relatively painless death where he just died offscreen to the poison because nobody actually liked Pufu so Togashi isn't going to give you the satisfaction of seeing a hated character die horribly. On the other hand the popular Pitou got killed in graphic detail against some borderline Deus Ex Machina power. If you're familiar with Togashi's style it's really obvious he enjoys killing fan's favorite character horribly (Ponz was the first victim) especially if they resemble cute/attractive girls. It's not so much as Pitou's defeat is all that improbable but that a lot of people see Pitou's graphic death as Togashi screwing the fans and it's probably correct.

    ---------- Post added at 02:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 AM ----------

    It's generally pretty well understood that HXH, as a whole, is very good. Therefore, people rarely talk about what's good in HXH because it's understood that it's very good and the quality of an arc is measured by how many flaws it has (possibly none) because it'll take you a very long time to list eveything that's good about every major arc. I saw a quote saying one year of HXH is always better than one year of Bleach, including the years where you may have absolutely nothing. It's kind of exaggerated but it's generally accepted that the value of each chapter of HXH is very high, often enough to make up for its utter lack of reliability (as in whether you'll see any HXH chapter on any particular week).

    For the overly verbose description stuff, sometimes it's needed but other times it reads like something you'd write in a high school English class where your teacher gave you a topic of trying to explain why grapefruit represents the symbol of life. It's not bad but I don't think it's as clever as people say it is. I don't mind it but I don't feel it's particularly better than the standard writing expected in Shonen manga and there isn't really anything deep or meaningful beyond some superficial 'humanity is the greatest evil' self flogging thing.

    Un-shonen isn't a pass for originality let alone good. HXH's worldview seems to have an equivaelent of UN but the power is more fractured, probably due to a much higher nuclear proliferation (every random country has the Rose). Therefore, using Rose has significant political ramifications against another power that has the same weapons (the coverup story says Diego was trying to blow his own people up with Rose, implying the country must have these weapons for the coverup to be believeable). You can assume in a world of high nuclear proliferation, if you see a particular nation launch the nukes it's likely to get into some kind of chain reaction that leads to a world war and the Ants are in possession of the Rose, so using this weapon is extremely dangerous from a political point of view. It's true that when you consider the type of ruler Meryem is (values perfection, but does not feel the need to destroy your toys if he can't have it) it seems unlikely he'd ever give the 'launch the nukes' order but it's just a lot of uncertainty to worry about, so instead Meryem and Pufu are just magically completely unaware of the said weapon's existence. To further complicate things, while the reader is pretty sure Meryem would almost never give a 'launch nukes' order, there is absolutely no way for the Hunters to infer this because they know nothing about Meryem.

    Now having a volume where a bunch of guys are arguing over nuclear deterrence and whether someone they've never met will give the order to launch nukes is pretty hard to deal with and there's no guaranteed that Togashi would be able to offer a plausible explanation since in real life we never had a nuclear launch event against another power with the same capability so we can only speculate what happens. But that's what HXH has to face given it closely mirrors real life especially at the political level so you can't just handwave those details.

    I'd say the Ants arc have great components but resulting product was never close to the sum of its parts. There's an argument saying perhaps Togashi isn't as good at doing battle scenes as commonly believed which is why there's only one real meaningful fight while the rest are a mix of a blowout and people talking about nebulous stuff. I don't necessarily agree with it but I do think there's a trend of too much talking and blowout and not enough meaningful fighting in HXH recently.

    I don't consider the Poor Man's Rose as a "pass". I consider it awesome.

    In any case I do not think this will be the last of the Poor Man's Rose in the story.

  20. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
  21. #28
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,079
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What are your thoughts on Chimera Ant arc haters ?

    Quote Originally Posted by mrsticky005 View Post
    I don't consider the Poor Man's Rose as a "pass". I consider it awesome.

    In any case I do not think this will be the last of the Poor Man's Rose in the story.
    MAD/deterrence is generally not an interesting topic to talk about. Since MAD never happened in real life (thankfully), any discussion about it in a manga has a high probability of being completely wrong (we usually don't get our political agenda from manga), and even if it's for some reason correct, due to the fact that no one really knows how a MAD event will turn out, it's likely a lot of people will think you're wrong even if you're indeed correct. It's a thankless topic but due to HXH's relatively heavy emphasis on politics it's not something you can avoid. The problem with the Rose isn't really whether it can or cannot kill Meryem. The problem is that such a highly political event gets completely handwaved in the background. I believe Obama said that if the raid on Osama failed this event could ruin his presidency. Well, ordering a nuclear strike against Meryem is far, far, more more impactful than that. It can easily bring down all the major political figures in the Hunter's Association plus the equilvlent of the UN (hard to imagine Hunters did this without the approval of their world's UN).

    Yes there probably wasn't a choice here, but that doesn't mean the Rose strike can be completed without political fallout. The world of HXH is supposed to mirror that of our own. They clearly have the Internet, Youtube, and advanced cellphones. With such technological availabliity, covering up a Rose strike is practically impossible. Yes none of this would make interesting material but since HXH's charm is how it closely resembles real life in terms of its political dimension, it's got to resolve the tough questions you'd find in real life too.

  22. #29
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member mrsticky005's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Country
    United States
    Age
    25
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,593
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What are your thoughts on Chimera Ant arc haters ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Phantron View Post
    MAD/deterrence is generally not an interesting topic to talk about. Since MAD never happened in real life (thankfully), any discussion about it in a manga has a high probability of being completely wrong (we usually don't get our political agenda from manga), and even if it's for some reason correct, due to the fact that no one really knows how a MAD event will turn out, it's likely a lot of people will think you're wrong even if you're indeed correct. It's a thankless topic but due to HXH's relatively heavy emphasis on politics it's not something you can avoid. The problem with the Rose isn't really whether it can or cannot kill Meryem. The problem is that such a highly political event gets completely handwaved in the background. I believe Obama said that if the raid on Osama failed this event could ruin his presidency. Well, ordering a nuclear strike against Meryem is far, far, more more impactful than that. It can easily bring down all the major political figures in the Hunter's Association plus the equilvlent of the UN (hard to imagine Hunters did this without the approval of their world's UN).

    Yes there probably wasn't a choice here, but that doesn't mean the Rose strike can be completed without political fallout. The world of HXH is supposed to mirror that of our own. They clearly have the Internet, Youtube, and advanced cellphones. With such technological availabliity, covering up a Rose strike is practically impossible. Yes none of this would make interesting material but since HXH's charm is how it closely resembles real life in terms of its political dimension, it's got to resolve the tough questions you'd find in real life too.

    I don't exactly agree. HxH is realistic but it's also a fantasy at it's core.

    Also there is a lot about the HxH world we don't know.

    For instance...who replaced the Ten Dons?

  23. #30
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Chrollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Meteor City
    Country
    Jordan
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    60
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What are your thoughts on Chimera Ant arc haters ?

    It's my favorite arc in all of shonen, followed by Yorknew

    But yeah same thing Mrsticky said, mostly it isn't justified but what can ya do

    I read it in 1 go and enjoyed every bit of it. Magical beasts have always been there, it just sounded weird after the YS arc/Heavens Arena and even GI were all about humans. Magical beasts didn't shine as much.

New Reply
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts