Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/14/14 - 7/20/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi , Bleach 588 (2)
New Reply
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: What are your thoughts on Chimera Ant arc haters ?

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What are your thoughts on Chimera Ant arc haters ?

Just where is the basis for guessing all Chimera Ant Arc haters have problems dealing with complexity or have short attention spans? Lumping people's opinions together doesn't suggest a personal liking for complexity or demonstrate larger patience.

It's a good arc to read, and I liked the romance between Komugi and the change it gradually brought to Mereum. I didn't really mind the deus ex machina "rose nuke" either, although it's often spat upon; I wouldn't enjoy Hunter X Hunter as much if it was predictable.

One of my issues is with Killua's removal of Illumi's needle. Digging into his head may be taken by some of you as a natural gesture of the strain on his mind. Yet the aura that could muffle Killua's (extraordinary) bravery has gone unnoticed this entire time during his nen practices AND during other times of combat when the opponent's strength is unknown/greater compared to his own. So, I can't even use the excuse that the Manipulation technique was an automatic one in perpetual Zetsu, which only occurs during times of tremendous danger. I could have tolerated it better if he found it shortly after learning nen, and ESPECIALLY before he subjected himself to electricity. It's mediocre, and past coverage of Killua's psychological problem made it out that more was expected. My deduction is that this is partially what justified Killua having increased action during the election arc, and no, that doesn't mean that it is a sign of good planning/writing.

There's also the combat narrative that occurred at the climax as the Hunters faced the Ant Guards. Some of the descriptions which took up a single page were more like introductions rather than revelations (For example, the basis of the Ant Guards were introduced the same time their abilities are), reminding readers that the guards are utterly devoted to the King while performing a protective action AT THE SAME TIME is redundant, inconsistent with the other ways devotion is expressed in the rest of the arc AND the series, and submits the pacing to a pattern that resembles that of a sine curve. After the strategy to separate the guards from the King was over, it was my relief to be free of that narrative style. Since I wanted to like it, I interpreted that Togashi wanted to simulate the fabled slow-motion that occurs during life and death as well as describe the intricate strategy in detail, he tried to go for more than that, but the end result is like a game that repeatedly pauses and resumes.

As for art style, the scribbles are not worth elaborating on - I've never encountered anyone denying it and saying it was good (not even a troll would try). But the designs of the grunt ants in some of the duels that took place made them difficult to take as seriously as the other opponents in the series. For me, who was sick of Greed Island monsters and longed for the more predatory villains, the prevalence of the low-ranking, stupid-looking, stupid-acting ants for long chapters between hiatus was a huge disappointment. I'm aware that goofy dangers were also obstacles during the first Hunter examination, and could be considered a part of the Hunter X Hunter world, but there's no smooth conjunction for me between laughable designs and the process of species extermination.
    Last edited by Half The Sky; September 30, 2012 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Apparently, spoiler'd paragraphs go unnoticed.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member mrsticky005's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Half The Sky View Post
    Just where is the basis for guessing all Chimera Ant Arc haters have problems dealing with complexity or have short attention spans? Lumping people's opinions together doesn't suggest a personal liking for complexity or demonstrate larger patience.

Spoiler show
    Who said that ALL the haters hate it for that reason? It's really largely guess work. Nobody is trying to lump people's opinions together.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

It's an implied argument. It starts with "people this/that... <insert subtle insult>", it may not specifically include all, but nobody will rectify this unless it's brought up because it's a method of beating around the bush. Since 'people' is not well defined, and the subject matter is Chimera Ant Arc Haters, this is the literal conclusion.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member riniloves's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

I once hate this arc, cant blame it... I am one of the fans who are impatient, I suffered 10 released chapters per year (2005-07), cliff hangers, ugly art (which I understand why), and so on.... But when I reread it completely, I got better appreciation on this....

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member SHINOBI-03's Avatar
    Country
    Dubai
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think I can contribute anything new that haven't been brought up, but oh well.

The haters hate this arc because:

01- The art. I know the art of the magazine is terrible and seems too amateurish for a pro mangaka like Togashi and everyone is pulling their hair trying to figure out how the hell can he get away with it and not forced to do a full version of the chapters. For me, I didn't read any of the scanlations and decided to wait patiently for the official volumes so I can enjoy it without any of these worries. Those who don't buy the volumes are either poor unfortunate souls who can't buy them because they aren't available where they live or cheap pirates who don't want to support their "favorite" manga and don't want to spend any cent for them and therefore stuck with the crappy scanlated versions with inconstant quality.

02- The creatures. When most of the fans ((Not sure how true this is)) think of Hunter x Hunter, they think of Yorknew arc. Nothing before, nothing after, and they think that's what Hunter x Hunter is all about. It's all drama and mafia and quests for vengeance in the big city. And when they see the ants, they think the series gone the way of the dodo and they can't comprehend such creatures in their "serious and realistic" series and they see them totally out of place and too cartoonish... when in fact we already knew that there are bizarre creatures in the Hunter Exam arc that not only bizarre, but some of them can think and talk like humans.So, it's nothing new. It's just Togashi decided to focus on them instead of the human antagonists that were available for the last 5 arcs. Those are obviously skipping or forgetting what came before Yorknew.

And those are my 2 cents for the topic.

6. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Cinnabar's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the Ant arc is generally a 'love-it-or-hate-it' arc. I personally loved it; I wouldn't classify it as my favorite though (then again, I can't pick one arc in HxH to call my favorite). I think it's just the arc that won't cater to everyone's taste, or to what everyone expects/is used to. A lot of things also seemed to come out of nowhere in this arc unless you saw these things being foreshadowed in the past. And let's face it, not everyone will remember all the details and foreshadowing (I certainly didn't).

Another thing about this arc is that it seems like Togashi was biting more than he can chew. It was well-written, but I wouldn't exactly call it smooth sailing. I guess some people don't think that some parts (the climax, the ending, the foreshadowing) were handled well. I don't want to comment because so many things happen in this arc and I can't remember them all. But! Overall, I thought it was a great arc.

I'm betting that the frequent hiatus were in part because Togashi needed to plan the arc out. Could he have handled the arc better if he was more prepared? Maybe. But I like the arc as it is now; it's not perfect, but it's not bad either.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Netero's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Haters gonna hate. I loved the arc, I still believe it's the best arc in the Hunter x Hunter. I'm not one those unfortunate people that suffered through these hiatuses, I took my time and read it all in one go up till volume 27 of the viz releases, The manga was still on hiatus at the time so I started reading the scanulations because I wasn't sure when Viz was going to release volume 28 since it wasn't even out in Japan lol. Than I read up until chapter 300, and luckily 3 or 4 months later Togashi returned from hiatus and finished up this brilliant arc

*I kinda started rambling...

HUNTER x HUNTER
    Isaac Netero

"That's A Bad Move... Little Ant"

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Uriel's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

I started reading it when it was already in the Hiatus, so it was normal to me and I wasn't annoyed. But well...Every thing said here is valid. It's not that Haters gonna Hate, it's mroe like "I'm tired of this f**** waiting". It's easy to blame the arc instead Togashi.
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames
    looks like the entrance to hell
    'Perfect', the captain said.

10. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member SHINOBI-03's Avatar
    Country
    Dubai
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Uriel View Post
    I started reading it when it was already in the Hiatus, so it was normal to me and I wasn't annoyed. But well...Every thing said here is valid. It's not that Haters gonna Hate, it's mroe like "I'm tired of this f**** waiting". It's easy to blame the arc instead Togashi.
    Then they need to read more non-famous mangas to get used for delays.

12. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Half The Sky View Post
    It's an implied argument. It starts with "people this/that... <insert subtle insult>", it may not specifically include all, but nobody will rectify this unless it's brought up because it's a method of beating around the bush. Since 'people' is not well defined, and the subject matter is Chimera Ant Arc Haters, this is the literal conclusion.
    Well I don't think EVERY Chimera Ant arc hater hates the arc for the reasons I've stated but I do think many of the haters do. But again it's just a guess.
    It's just kind of a pointless thread to start with since it's going to be just speculation and even if we have someone I hate the ant arc because that would
    just be that person's reason for hating it and not necessarily someone else's reason for hating it.

Basically the reasons I stated (Hiatus, artwork, the ants) is what I've seen in general from haters.
    They complain that the arc is taking forever. That Togashi can't draw. Meryem is a cell rip off, etc.

Of course there are people like Phantron or even yourself who have very specific reasons for
    disliking some elements of the Chimera Ant Arc but it would seem to be that is the exception
    and not the rule. By the way, hope you don't take offense to that. Of course I as a Chimera
    Ant arc lover disagree but I can appreciate the amount of thought the both of you put
    into your criticisms. But again I don't think that is what MOST people hate the arc for.

At the same time a lot of people who like the arc---probably just like it for the violence.

It's kinda an issue of who you ask. Most people here on this forum probably have
    detailed reasons for why they like or dislike the arc and that's because we are
    all in one fashion or another hard core Hunters. We take hunting...SERIOUSLY.

But the casual fan who probably thinks hxh is a ripoff of Naruto probably
    isn't thinking too deeply about it in the first place.
    Last edited by mrsticky005; September 30, 2012 at 05:48 PM.

14. Like 4 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

i didn't hate it, but I did feel that the arc as a whole went on for far too long and still feel it would've even without the hiatuses.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post
    i didn't hate it, but I did feel that the arc as a whole went on for far too long and still feel it would've even without the hiatuses.
    Well it IS the longest arc in HxH.

Still I think a LOT went into it

Banned 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
    Country
    Palau
    Post Thanks / Like

My friend when he saw the appearances of the Zodiac Twelve (based on the animals) he is pissed but still he admired the traits/behaviors of the Zodiac Twelve.

I think they HATE the Chimera Ant Arc because they don't like the Character Designs.

But Hunter x Hunter doesn't rely on "COOL CHARACTER DESIGNS" unlike many mangas.

Hunter x Hunter is more about thoughts, it's logical.

The Fact that Nen Users can decide in whether they will give CONDITIONS on their power or not is a very big proof of HxH being very logical.

I guess Hardcore Fans are only the ones capable of appreciating the Chimera Ant Arc.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by X3D2YFaust View Post
    My friend when he saw the appearances of the Zodiac Twelve (based on the animals) he is pissed but still he admired the traits/behaviors of the Zodiac Twelve.

I think they HATE the Chimera Ant Arc because they don't like the Character Designs.

But Hunter x Hunter doesn't rely on "COOL CHARACTER DESIGNS" unlike many mangas.

Hunter x Hunter is more about thoughts, it's logical.

The Fact that Nen Users can decide in whether they will give CONDITIONS on their power or not is a very big proof of HxH being very logical.

I guess Hardcore Fans are only the ones capable of appreciating the Chimera Ant Arc.
    has your friend watch the 99 series?

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Cinnabar's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

I have come to think of HxH as the kind of manga where there's an arc for everyone, but it won't appeal to everyone as a whole. If that makes sense.

New Reply
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast