Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 595 (2)

View Poll Results: Ha Jinsung and Karaka: What's going to happen?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nothing. Whatever happens will be off panel, just like last time.

5 50.00%
  • They will talk about Baam's situation.

1 10.00%
  • There will be glorious violence!

4 40.00%
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tower of God Chapter 113 & 114 Review

MH's Best Reviewer MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Tower of God Chapter 113 & 114 Review

On my last poll. The majority guessed "Baam and company will lose but Miseng will appear with the second Jewel and save the day." which was technically correct (the best kind of correct). I don't think anybody expected for Miseng to get caught in the crossfire like that but her appearance with the piglet did save the day so that has to be labeled a "win".

Now onto the review!

Chapter 113 & 114 Review

"Oops..."

The Plot

The first of these chapters brought the Zygaena test and Urek Mazino's game to an end. With the surprising conclusion of Baam throwing himself in front of Miseng, who was chased the baby Zygaena right into the middle of his fight with Mazino. Which displayed his true character for all to see. As a reward for his bravery Mazino leaves them the other jewel, meaning they passed the test, and decided to keep tabs on Baam from now on.

The second chapter takes place two days later and focuses on the aftershocks of all that happened during that test. With Baam still unconscious and Wangan trying to figure out what the best thing to do for everyone's sakes; but finds the rest of the team are completely resolute in their decision to climb the tower with Baam. Even Yihwa comes to a decision that will make her a true ally for Baam from this point on (which I will cover in detail the points of interest). Simply put this team is now is unified on their desire to guard Baam's back and Baam has showed himself willing to put his life on the line to do the same.

The one snag in all this is that FUG has little reason not to be pleased about anything that's happened in the last few days. And in the final pages of the chapter the tension begins to rise as the shadowing figure known as Karaka shows himself before Ha Jinsung again; and Jinsung doesn't seem too thrilled about it.

The Art

Pretty much everything with Urek Mazino looked completely awesome. SIU must have put a lot of work into those scenes and it showed. The strongest active ranker had to look overwhelming compared to everything we had seen before and I thought the artwork captured that perfectly.

The aftermath chapter toned things down a little and wasn't as visually impressive, since there was more cartoon-ish comedy type stuff, but every time things got serous the art jumped up to a high level of quality. Take Yihwa's moping in bed for example, the artwork really helped that scene to jump off the page. She said nothing but everyone could pretty much tell what the character was thinking.

Overall Rating

In my opinion this is probably the best arc and conclusion since the "Hide and Seek" waaay back in the first part of the series. The story delivered, the art delivered, and all the characters delivered. What more could I ask for?

I give these a perfect 5 out of 5

Points of Interest

Baam and His Many Admirers

Add Urek Mazino to the fanclub

Saying that Baam is popular doesn't really do the truth justice. Not only has his new team rallied around him in a believable and stunningly unified way but he has also caught the eye of some pretty big powers. And I don't mean just as an irregular either.

Let's take a short headcount of the heavy hitters shall we?
    • Ha Yuri Zahard
      Zahards second favorite daughter and she GAVE him Black March (which is kind-of a big deal) and now 5 years after his supposed death is finding something (probably a baby Zygaena) as payment so the most knowledgeable person in the tower will get her his location
    • Urek Mazino
      Putting aside the fact that his whole trip to Zygaena to acquire that baby for Yuri was probably the above mentioned payment for Baams location (Oh, the irony), he's now taking a personal interest in Baam; while having no idea who he actually is.
    • Ha Jinsung
      Aside from rampant Baam fanboyism, he seems to be doing all that he can within FUG to try to make Baam's life as non-miserable as possible. How far will he go to protect his pupil's happiness? If somebody (like maybe this Karaka person) decides Baam's new team needs to die, we just might find out.
    • Jaina Repellista Zahard
      Is supposedly the most knowledgeable person in the tower and is enacting some plan of her own that somehow involves Baam or the situation around him. It's not clear that she's a "fan" exactly but she's definitely taken an interest in the events around him.

The relevance in all this is that FUG has vastly underestimated the force that is the Baam fanclub. The more powerful people that take an interest in Baam the more opportunities there will be for FUG's plan to get demolished by one of them. FUG may seem like a big bad organization but Yuri has dangerous connections, Repellista has dangerous knowledge, Urek Mazino has dangerous strength, and Ha Jinsung is just plain dangerous.

Point is, the long term viability of FUG's plan is looking pretty screwed to me right now.

Yihwa's Noblesse Oblige

Tsundere Mode 200%!

A favorite subplot of mine in the last few chapters has been Yihwa struggling between her personal sense of justice and the ideals she came to believe in as a part of the 10 families. This internal turmoil finally came to a head after the conclusion of the Zygaena test because of the realization that her own Yeon family was in the wrong. The way they tried to keep a monopoly on the Zygaena jewels was wrong and she was wrong in assuming Baam was a bad guy because of his situation; she seems to understand both those things now.

After some reflection, and with a little goading from Hwa Ryun, she came to decide that it's time for her to stop trying to deny injustice and instead try to remedy it.

This represents a pretty huge sea change for her. She is going from someone who considered herself chosen to stand above others. To someone who considers herself obligated to the betterment of others. This will, no doubt, be a "work in progress"; but I think it will be a highly entertaining thing to watch going forward.

Maybe not so Helpless After-all

Either Baam got a good shot in...or Mazino had a shaving accident...

Baam put a scratch on Urek Mazino's face even while protecting Miseng. This is a pretty big statement, in that it shows Baam isn't nearly as helpless against the higher rankers as I think we all believed him to be. Even if Mazino was taking him lightly, if he was able to draw blood on the strongest active Ranker he should be able to do the same or better on just about anybody.

Now I don't think this can be taken to mean he could beat most Rankers or anything like that. He's still a small fish in a big pond; but he's a small fish with sharp teeth and he's growing by the day.
    Last edited by Jammin; October 09, 2012 at 10:58 PM.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]
    Otogi Taisen Fantasma [Esp. for Harem Fans]

2. Thanks 4 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity TheBoss's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tower of God Chapter 113 & 114 Review

Repellista? Yep she is messing with some pretty huge things, having the Opera and stuff .
    I have a thread about this conspiracy stuff so I won't digress here.
    Now before beginning the big arc I still wanna see some Yuri plot. Maybe it will be the starting point of the arc?
    About the scratch, remember the shinsoo reaction at the crown's game? Baam has some hidden powers as he is a irregular after all, its like shinsoo loves him.
    I hope SIU enjoys his vacations and rest a bit, and he comes with full power to the next arc

4. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Monsterguy's Avatar
    Country
    Slovenia
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know how you are doing it, but you always manage to point out to me the most interesting facts, so just reading your reviews almost always shows me the same story presented from a diferent light/angle.

Amusing, but what I love the most is that no matter how long of a review it is, I almost always read it whole("I litterly got sucked in", while reading).

To sum it up, the beautiful pictures you include, and your content in reviews are really refreshing to me, and just recently I realized that I'm really enjoying reading the reviews you are creating from ToG, and that I'm always looking forward to seeing them. I mean it really, for no other reason, but because "they are simply amaizing", I love them...

Now about the poll:

I think that Karaka is a lot stronger than some thought(not only on a ranker's level), and with this I thought to say that he, right now, is at least close to a high rankers level already(he survived against a ranker Love, when he was still on 20th floor, and who knows how long ago that was) !!!

Maybe each slayer has 1 high ranker appointed to him/her as a teacher, and Karaka thinks similar like Rak did in 1st season (--> to consume somebodys "might/strength/power" when you defeat him/her). With that kind of reason Karaka might have already killed his own teacher.

My main point here would be that I expect Jinsung to be killed by Karaka. Of course that would not be done in any flashy way, but when Jinsung and Karaka would end their conversation, and when Jinsung turns his back to Karaka (being stabbed in the back) !!!

Because there was no specific answers in the poll you gave, I voted "There will be glorious violence!", although there would be no "glorious" moment(), still I expect there to be some "violence" !!!
    Last edited by Monsterguy; October 03, 2012 at 03:41 AM. Reason: spelling
    Spoiler: sample from originally colourful manhwa Tower of God show

It never ceases to amaze me:
    "How are authors of famous manhwa / manga,... able to create such amazing works???"

6. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Monsterguy View Post
    I don't know how you are doing it, but you always manage to point out to me the most interesting facts, so just reading your reviews almost always shows me the same story presented from a diferent light/angle.

Amusing, but what I love the most is that no matter how long of a review it is, I almost always read it whole("I litterly got sucked in", while reading).

To sum it up, the beautiful pictures you include, and your content in reviews are really refreshing to me, and just recently I realized that I'm really enjoying reading the reviews you are creating from ToG, and that I'm always looking forward to seeing them. I mean it really, for no other reason, but because "they are simply amaizing", I love them...
    You are too kind. All I try to do is give a clear perspective on Tower of God and I'm glad to hear I'm not doing too bad at it.

Quote Quote:
    Now about the poll:

I think that Karaka is a lot stronger than some thought(not only on a ranker's level), and with this I thought to say that he, right now, is at least close to a high rankers level already(he survived against a ranker Love, when he was still on 20th floor, and who knows how long ago that was) !!!

Maybe each slayer has 1 high ranker appointed to him/her as a teacher, and Karaka thinks similar like Rak did in 1st season (--> to consume somebodys "might/strength/power" when you defeat him/her). With that kind of reason Karaka might have already killed his own teacher.

My main point here would be that I expect Jinsung to be killed by Karaka. Of course that would not be done in any flashy way, but when Jinsung and Karaka would end their conversation, and when Jinsung turns his back to Karaka (being stabbed in the back) !!!

Because there was no specific answers in the poll you gave, I voted "There will be glorious violence!", although there would be no "glorious" moment(), still I expect there to be some "violence" !!!
    Interesting, it never occurred to me that could happen to be honest but it would be quite a twist. Right now, Ha Jinsung is Baam's lifeline in FUG. If that gets taken away thing could get pretty bad for this group pretty fast.

It would be pretty cool though to put Baam in a position where FUG will kill his new friends if he does what they want and would kill his old friends if he doesn't. He'd really have no choice but to try and rush up the Tower as fast as he possibly could in the hopes of getting to his old group before FUG's hit squad could.

Country
    Slovenia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
    Interesting, it never occurred to me that could happen to be honest but it would be quite a twist. Right now, Ha Jinsung is Baam's lifeline in FUG. If that gets taken away thing could get pretty bad for this group pretty fast.

It would be pretty cool though to put Baam in a position where FUG will kill his new friends if he does what they want and would kill his old friends if he doesn't. He'd really have no choice but to try and rush up the Tower as fast as he possibly could in the hopes of getting to his old group before FUG's hit squad could.
    A little theorising and writing my own prediction:

But if I remember the author was talking something about one of the heads from 10 great families being introduced to us at some point.

So including with Jinsung's death this would make sense to me !!!

Right now I see 1 of the family heads, like for example Gustang, who would first fight Baam(his teammates would hide themself, not to get in Baam's way), and soon(in the middle of a fight Gustang would witness Wonsulsa used by Viole/Baam !!!) Karaka would interfere and throw an acid like liquid(? - or something similar) at Gustang, who would counter Karaka immediately, forcing Karaka to escape.

While being attacked Gustang would see that Viole/Baam would not try anything. To top it all Viole would only be observing Karaka, not even giving an eye on Gustang.

At that time Gustang would ask Viole, why he didn't try anything when he had such a good chance, and Viole would answer him: "I have nothing against you, I only wish to pass through, and avenge my friend !!!"

Than Gustang would ask Viole/Baam why is he in such a hurry, on which question Viole/Baam would answer: "To find my remaining friends and protect them."

Gustang would laugh like crazy, but than he would tell Viole/Baam that he will help him with a condition that Viole/Baam would later participate in his personal test(like Love did), on which condition Viole/Baam would agree.

So Gustang's rankers would soon find Leesoo's team, but would be stopped by high rankers of floor 27 where Koon's team would be taking a test. There Koon would become suspicious and drop out of the test and follow those rankers, while Karaka under diferent name would join the team in Koon's place !!!
    Last edited by Monsterguy; October 03, 2012 at 12:43 PM. Reason: spelling

"How are authors of famous manhwa / manga,... able to create such amazing works???"

9. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

But if I remember the author was talking something about one of the heads from 10 great families being introduced to us at some point.

Right now I see 1 of the family heads, like for example Gustang, who would first fight Baam(his teammates would hide themself, not to get in Baam's way), and soon(in the middle of a fight Gustang would witness Wonsulsa used by Viole/Baam !!!) Karaka would interfere and throw an acid like liquid(? - or something similar) at Gustang, who would counter Karaka immediately, forcing Karaka to escape.

While being attacked Gustang would see that Viole/Baam would not try anything. To top it all Viole would only be observing Karaka, not even giving an eye on Gustang.

At that time Gustang would ask Viole, why he didn't try anything when he had such a good chance, and Viole would answer him: "I have nothing against you, I only wish to pass through, and avenge my friend !!!"

Than Gustang would ask Viole/Baam why is he in such a hurry, on which question Viole/Baam would answer: "To find my remaining friends and protect them."

Gustang would laugh like crazy, but than he would tell Viole/Baam that he will help him with a condition that Viole/Baam would later participate in his personal test(like Love did), on which condition Viole/Baam would agree.

So Gustang's rankers would soon find Leesoo's team, but would be stopped by high rankers of floor 27 where Koon's team would be taking a test. There Koon would become suspicious and drop out of the test and follow those rankers, while Karaka under diferent name would join the team in Koon's place !!!
    Wow, you make your predictions specific. Admirably bold.

I'm not sure about seeing a head of one of the 10 families this soon though. I guess I could maybe imagine Yeon Hana showing up since she's famous for being "the scariest woman when angry" even though she's normally quite gentle. And this Zygaena thing happening on one of her family's floors probably pissed her off pretty good.
    Last edited by Jammin; October 05, 2012 at 09:37 PM.

11. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity TheBoss's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Sry Monster but I don't see this happening at all.
    Jinsung is a high ranker after all so he won't die in such a sneaky way.
    But my main point is Hwa Ryun's behavior with Yihwa, she wouldn't do that if she would kill her afterwards.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted FrostyMouse's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting prediction, although I do disagree. I don't see any way that Jinsung's dying to Karaka in that manner. Jinsung's the head of the Baam project and is supported by Grace after all, so I don't think Grace would appoint a High Ranker who couldn't protect himself.

If we do see a 10 Family Head as SIU mentioned, I think it'll most likely be Koon Eduan. It could also be Yeon Hana, as Jammin mentioned, because of the Zygaena issue or, if Jinsung were to die or be exposed, the Ha family head. Jinsung is a High Ranker and most likely one of the most influential members of the Ha family, especially as he's much older than Yuri, so the Ha family might become directly involved if Jinsung was exposed. If Yuri were to find Baam, she'd encounter Jinsung and he'd have some explaining to do as I don't think the Ha Family would be so happy to see Jinsung engaged in this.

Country
    Slovenia
    Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes I wonder if SIU is living in another world or what, why how can he be so focused on such a minor details, yet in a lot of other manga they are just about a specific "small" group of people and their suroundings (and showing their power affect the whole world from the universe, without any "after effects" on the world, from the universe, after that ----> sometimes the authors destroy their story in that exact moment for me)..

To me the author of ToG (namely SIU) is a living god, because he created the whole freaking universe, so that not even I or anybody that reads ToG can NOT figure him out with 100% accuracy !!!

I'm glad to see there are so many great predictions how the story may progress, and yes well technically I can't really disagree with anybody above, why anything is still possible at this point, and don't misunderstand me, I like it this way.

What I was trying to say was that I love how we all read the same story, but our opinions differ so greatly !!!

15. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted FrostyMouse's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

At first, I thought that you were going to go in a different direction with that post, Monster.

I think that because SIU's focusing on things outside of the current story, such as telling us about the 10 Family Heads, creating things (although we don't get to see them in the story), we end up with a disjointed story at times. You need the extra details he's released not in the manhwa to end up with a better understanding of the Talse Uzer (spelling) world, and that's not good. The manhwaka should explain all of the relevant points in the story, and not do this, "I'll talk about stuff outside, but give you a limited view of the world in the manhwa itself." It's something I haven't liked about SIU from the very beginning. While it was fine in season one, season two's been a bit of a train wreck at times and right now, we're not getting everything important.

Country
    Slovenia
    Post Thanks / Like

@FrostyMouse

That's why I like English releases from the company, that are on batoto, or even more the whole "wiki from ToG".

To me this is better, why the author is leaving everything to our imagination !!!

PS: SIU only has his manhwa, and blog posts along with a place he writes afterword.
    Last edited by Monsterguy; October 04, 2012 at 05:11 AM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Host Samurai's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Since SIU mentioned that Karaka will appear more often for a Ranker. I pretty much know what his role aside being a slayer might be. I think, he is keeping Baam in check because he belongs to the faction within FUG, who doesn't approve of Viole's team.

A clash between him and Viole will happen once Viole is at the same floor as, Agero/Rachel due to the latter climbing slower then the rest, due to Rachel's "injury" to me, it wouldn't be far-fetched to think that Karaka might attempt to kill Rachel and Agero. In order to not endanger their plans.

Credits:Shinsatsu

19. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Light and Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member naruto-niichan's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrostyMouse View Post
    At first, I thought that you were going to go in a different direction with that post, Monster.

I think that because SIU's focusing on things outside of the current story, such as telling us about the 10 Family Heads, creating things (although we don't get to see them in the story), we end up with a disjointed story at times. You need the extra details he's released not in the manhwa to end up with a better understanding of the Talse Uzer (spelling) world, and that's not good. The manhwaka should explain all of the relevant points in the story, and not do this, "I'll talk about stuff outside, but give you a limited view of the world in the manhwa itself." It's something I haven't liked about SIU from the very beginning. While it was fine in season one, season two's been a bit of a train wreck at times and right now, we're not getting everything important.
    I disagree because I actually love this way and wouldn't mind other authors doing the same (at least when the world is that big). Getting some tidbits of information here and there is really refreshing, makes you speculate even more and makes you more excited/interested for what is to come. Sure, it leaves room for disappointment too but I really like it if the manhwaka/mangaka is sharing some of his thoughts with us, makes you feel a lot more connected to the story.

And seriously, with a world that big it's not like he can just show the whole scale everytime. I feel like you expect a bit too much there. Some authors tend to go on a big scale too early and in the end it turns out pretty bad. Let it grow wider slowly but steadily, that's the way it's supposed to be.

I understand that feeling of wanting to see more but this makes me craving for every new chapter even more

---------- Post added at 04:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:20 PM ----------

oh and ofc nice review Jam, you deliver like you always do

21. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Slovakia
    Post Thanks / Like

To the poll: I don't expect fighting among members of FUG, rather that the lower positioned one respecting the other's will. In my mind, they're not an organization that'd allow fighting over such things as Baam's current team (since it's definitely not a big problem at this point).
    Jinsung's words seem to imply otherwise, but it's more likely that I misinterpreted a sentence than the whole view on FUG, so I'll ignore it.

The manhwa seemed focused on Jinsung and Karaka in the last pages, so I hope SIU won't troll us and it'll stay focused on them, so they'll talk it out.

And yes, shinsoo loves him. You can add it to the list of bigshots interested in Baam
    Erfworld

Quote Originally Posted by Bromamura View Post
    Meh can't have Bleach without fan raging, makes it fun.

23. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I think SIU's blog posts are a very interesting aspect of Tower of God but I agree with Frosty Mouse's core point which was that all the necessary information in a story should be in the comic itself not in a blog or wikia sites or an author's afterword.

My view so far though is that, SIU has been using blog posts and such to offer deeper insight into the world of Tower Of God but most of it tends to be not about the story and just general information. Think of it as "rumors you might hear if you were in the Tower Of God universe". And as long as that's all it is I don't see any problem with it. I would rather it was processed a little more, like turn all that into a fake news publication or somebody's "Secret Files"; which is how a lot of authors handle the same sort of thing.

If it ever became fully a part of the way he told the story I wouldn't like it because that would be a major breach of the fourth wall. I've read books that did that sort of thing before, with their appendices, and they all had one thing in common....they sucked.

But I don't believe Tower of God's extras are required reading, just a bunch of bonus material. So I think it's alright.
    Last edited by Jammin; October 06, 2012 at 08:20 AM.

25. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast