Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Bleach 576 by cnet128
New Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun

Uchuujin 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member naruto-niichan's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun

Quote Originally Posted by phio_chan View Post
    I liked the first two episodes better than episode 3. Still, that doesn't mean I don't like it.

Episode 3 was opened with such a strange way. I almost popped my eyes out when Haru did that. Even after he explained it in the end I still wasn't satisfied. How could it be different?! Geez, so dense. But exactly that is why I love them, even through it all they're still attracted to one another, hehe~ Yuzan looks like an interesting character as well. Running, running, I wonder from what~

nii-kun, my favorite line would be...

I understand where you're coming from but that is what makes this so special. Both are kind of outcasts, both haven't experienced that feeling of being loved/loving someone. Not just in a romantic way but regarding friendship as well, so it's a given that they both act so dense at times because they probably can't order their own feelings that well yet. In a sense they both opened a new door for each other (Haru making friends and Shizu opening up towards other things besides school), that alone is a reason to see each other as someone special. In that way I understand haru very well, he probably just used the wording "I love you" because of that exact reason but as dense as he is didn't think that Shizu obviously will misunderstand that.

Nice quote btw x3

2. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Episode 4 is out. Gosh, I'm loving this series more and more as new episodes coming out.

I like the usual dynamic of the episode. I laughed hard when Shizu's good intention made her jealous instead, and to see how she experienced those for the first time. As for Haru, he truly is a curious one, eh? Though I wonder how he exactly feels deep inside when he faced such "obstacle" while trying something new. Needless to say I love all their moments together, especially the last part, it was so lovely.

Questions left from me is what exactly happened between Haru and Yuzan to make Haru so hateful of him, and how exactly is Haru's feelings different from Shizu's, judging from this episode, lol. XDD

4. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity yukihime03's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh God, the new eps is so funny!
    I guess we will often see red faces around...

I love how it is shown that the girls' hearts are shot by arrows when they see Haru's smile because what happens to those girls also happened to me... Well, he is actually really handsome.
    and Shizuku... I love how she can be so bold. Asking Haru directly to take her on a date? That's the girl!

I greatly wonder about Yuzan too... He does seem a little bit fishy, mostly because he smiles too much though he is also pretty handsome.
    I guess in the next eps we'll know the reason behind Haru's reaction to his brother.

6. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Episode 4 is out. Gosh, I'm loving this series more and more as new episodes coming out.

I like the usual dynamic of the episode. I laughed hard when Shizu's good intention made her jealous instead, and to see how she experienced those for the first time. As for Haru, he truly is a curious one, eh? Though I wonder how he exactly feels deep inside when he faced such "obstacle" while trying something new. Needless to say I love all their moments together, especially the last part, it was so lovely.

Questions left from me is what exactly happened between Haru and Yuzan to make Haru so hateful of him, and how exactly is Haru's feelings different from Shizu's, judging from this episode, lol. XDD
    Good thing we feel the same, it's already one of my favourite series of the season and I believe it probably will be one of the best series of the year to me Totally loving all the characters and the freshness the series is providing.

What I like most about Shizu that she's pretty damn honest, doesn't matter if it's cruel or sweet - she says what's on her mind despite how it might turn out. It's fascinating to see her experiencing all these new feelings and accepting them without hesitation, something that's very unusual for a shoujo. Usually it goes like "Do I really love him, does he really love me, etc" and this goes on and on. It's nothing like that in the series though, both main characters have their heart on the tongue, no matter what it's about and this is what I love most about them.

And I believe Haru is starting to really love Shizu, he just hasn't fully realized it yet. But oh god please, Haru x Shizu definitely one of my new fav pairings~

8. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Banned 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
    Country
    Palau
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: [Featured] Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun

the drawing reminds me of Kimi ni Todoke
    and it has a Lost Dog/Puppy scenario like Kimi ni Todoke

---------- Post added at 06:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:46 AM ----------

The scene when Yoshida go inside the box is unique and funny for a shojo manga

It was in Episode 1
    Time: 6:05

One of the best Episode 1 in Anime History

---------- Post added at 06:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:08 AM ----------

It is also not a typical shojo anime
    The Female Protaganist is brave and a bit boyish unlike typical/common shojo manga female protagonists
    The Male Protagonist is a delinquent that is also not common for a male protagonists in shojo

It's a revolutionary Shojo

Shojo Mangas should be more like this anime/manga in order for them to have male enthusiasts
    Last edited by FaustXIII; October 24, 2012 at 05:46 PM.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by naruto-niichan View Post
    What I like most about Shizu that she's pretty damn honest, doesn't matter if it's cruel or sweet - she says what's on her mind despite how it might turn out. It's fascinating to see her experiencing all these new feelings and accepting them without hesitation, something that's very unusual for a shoujo. Usually it goes like "Do I really love him, does he really love me, etc" and this goes on and on. It's nothing like that in the series though, both main characters have their heart on the tongue, no matter what it's about and this is what I love most about them.
    I totally agree. Even though most things are the first experiences for Shizu, she doesn't hesitate to show how it is the first time for her. And without really thinking react to it. I like it when she realized she was jealous, or how she returned to Haru even when he was so cold. She is impulsive most of the times, and although sometimes that makes her annoying (like when she refused to help her friend studying), it gives her strength in other times that makes her awesome. <3333

Quote Originally Posted by X3D2YFaust View Post
    It is also not a typical shojo anime
    The Female Protaganist is brave and a bit boyish unlike typical/common shojo manga female protagonists
    The Male Protagonist is a delinquent that is also not common for a male protagonists in shojo

It's a revolutionary Shojo

Shojo Mangas should be more like this anime/manga in order for them to have male enthusiasts
    Hem~ I think there must be series with similar characters out there. At least in Kyou, Koi wo Hajimemasu, for example, the male lead was quite the playboy and bad boy, although less destructive than Haru is.

Anyway, shoujo, as the term implies, actually targets young female audience. That's why shoujo manga are mostly made like that. I think that is the strength of shoujo, though. If all shoujo were to turn like this so that we could get more male audience, then it will be no different from shounen, no? XDD

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun is special for me because although the plot is basically simple and standard (love between a totally different boy and girl), the way the plot is told is the thing that caught my heart. I can't really describe how, but it is told in a dynamic system but not too rushed and still lovely.

Looks like we got our shoujo anime of the season.

11. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Banned 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
    Country
    Palau
    Post Thanks / Like

Best Episode for you so far?

Episode 1 was still the best for me

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I totally agree. Even though most things are the first experiences for Shizu, she doesn't hesitate to show how it is the first time for her. And without really thinking react to it. I like it when she realized she was jealous, or how she returned to Haru even when he was so cold. She is impulsive most of the times, and although sometimes that makes her annoying (like when she refused to help her friend studying), it gives her strength in other times that makes her awesome. <3333
    Yes impulsive is a good word Honest and courageous fits pretty well too though. In our current society we often tend to lie (or don't say anything) when it's something we consider emberassing/bad, may it be because we are scared or because we just want to take the easy route. Shizu often is embarrassed when she says something bold but she never hesitates and that's what I love about her. I'm not sure if I even know someone like this in real life, it's unbelievably hard to say what's on your mind even though you know it's risky, embarrassing and may put you in bad light.

It really is something you rarely see in manga/anime or real life, at least not to that extent and that makes me love Shizu as a character even more. One of the most unique shoujo characters I've seen.

Anyway, shoujo, as the term implies, actually targets young female audience. That's why shoujo manga are mostly made like that. I think that is the strength of shoujo, though. If all shoujo were to turn like this so that we could get more male audience, then it will be no different from shounen, no? XDD
    Shoujo's are fine how they are but it's always nice to read something out of the ordinary. It's not necessary to revolutionize the whole concept, Tonari isn't doing that either. It breaks the usual formula and has not so usual main characters. Both things aren't too different from your usual shoujo but different enough to make this show a very refreshing experience - this is how a good series has to be

Hard to say at this point but I think it's the first for me too atm

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member HaiSuShi's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I read the first 6 chapters of the manga, and it is GREAT, but I've decided to watch the anime first, because I'll probably understand the characters better.
    I don't know why, but the manga seems pretty...confusing to me.
    Last edited by HaiSuShi; October 30, 2012 at 07:38 PM.
    Naruto-kun...I've always...always been chasing after you. Even...now. But... once this war ends, I'm going to stop once and for all.
    Next time, I'll be next to you, holding your hand...walking with you! Wait for me!!

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

You guys seen episode 5? The way we didn't get to see full explanation of Yuzan and Haru's bad relationship made me turn so AAAAAAAAAAA---- but otherwise I'm happy. It is a bit slower than the previous episodes, I guess, but I don't mind. Look at that romantic scene, oh my gosh!!!

Spoiler show

Hard question is hard.

I think it would be episode 2 for me, I guess. Probably because I'm a girl so I feel closer to Shizu somehow. The way she reacted to new things happening around her is just,,, It feels natural to me. But when that revelation comes, you just can't deny it. You just can't go back to who you are. And that's very sweet. <33

---------- Post added at 04:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:31 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by HaiSuShi View Post
    I read the first 6 chapters of the manga, and it is GREAT, but I've decided to watch the anime first, because I'll probably understand the characters better.
    I don't know why, but the manga seems pretty...confusing to me.
    Welcome, welcome!

How far are you already? I want to try reading the manga soon but a bit afraid it would spoil my love for the anime, lol.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member HaiSuShi's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I read until chapter 13 (33 is the newest).

After reading it again, I understand it a lot better though:

Spoiler show

Oh, and Natsume is probably my favorite (not-main)character in this manga.

Also watched the first 2 episodes, and I'm just stunned how good it is. *sings the chicken song*
    Last edited by HaiSuShi; November 02, 2012 at 04:50 AM.
    Naruto-kun...I've always...always been chasing after you. Even...now. But... once this war ends, I'm going to stop once and for all.
    Next time, I'll be next to you, holding your hand...walking with you! Wait for me!!

17. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Spoiler show
    Spoiler show

Oh, and Natsume is probably my favorite (not-main)character in this manga.
    Natsume is a very lovely character. I like how dynamic she is, at times crazy but she actually feels something too. All the characters are like that, they are not only who they are outside, which is cool. I like how episode 6 introduces us to the next team member Oshima-san.

And I totally love the chicken song. ITADAKIMASUUUUU~

19. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH's Most Friendly Member 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity destiny4ever's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

So I finally caught up with this anime. Very good series, it reminded me of LovelyComplex a little bit.

I like how TnK is funny but it is not only about hilarity is about so much more. It made me sad when I read that this series is only going to have 13 episodes, hopefully there is another season.

Episode 6

This episode was so good and it covered so much that a very long post wouldn’t be enough to express all the things that took place in this episode. So I guess I’ll talk about the characters that caught my attention the most in this episode:

Shizuku: We learned a bit more about her past and even though it was just a little bit it was enough to give us an understanding about why she closed herself off, why she reverted to the way she used to be. It is not that she has fallen out of love, she still loves Haru but thanks to the presence of Chizuru she realized that she was putting herself in a position where she could get hurt, in a position where she didn’t have control of things anymore so she went back to her studies, the thing it feels the safest to her, where she can control things (especially the outcome of things), where she can’t get disappointed or hurt.

Natsume: She really wants for her and Mitty to be close friends, so she was sad when she found out that Mitty hadn’t confided in her like a best friend would do. What Natsume doesn’t realize is that Shizuku has been so used to not depend on others, to not need the help of others that it is natural for her to try to solve things on her own, to not share her real feelings with others.

Haru: I know he is afraid of losing Shizuku, but he needs to be honest with himself and admit that the love he feels for Shizuku is a romantic one.

Nagoya: Best rooster ever!!

I can’t wait to watch next episode!
    Thank you so much for my cute avy GenjiChan and for my awesome sig, Reverzer0!

21. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    SQUEE x 9000 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Did Haru really try and lick Mitty's face this week? And he wonders why she's been keeping her distance. Natsume's speech to Haru was spectacular. She and Oshima seem to have shaken at least a little sense into the big dummy. It's good to see Oshima has gained a little confidence too.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

The lick part was scary, no? I turned "o_O" as well but laughed immediately when he backed off.

The latest few episodes are taking a slow pace. It is this kind of series and pacing that makes me want to go punch Shizu for being like what she is now, although I understand where she comes from. Even so in this slow pace we can see more from other characters, what they think, how they change, what they wish for. Natsume is epic in the beginning, and I like how she talk things to Haru. Oshima as well. It's heartwarming to see them to actually care so much when they have their own problems to sort.

I guess it's indeed as Kait said; by doing that they grow up little by little too.

New Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast