Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 504 by Bomber D Rufi , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)
New Reply

Thread: Alluka and the Demon

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member mrsticky005's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Alluka and the Demon

I think the person of "Nanika" is in fact a demon possessing Alluka.

Now to set the record straight when I say demon I am not referring to it in the JudeoChristian sense of the word where they are basically entirely evil spirits.
    (It should be noted that is not meant to be a blanket statement of JudeoChristian
    beliefs on demonology. I am by no means an expert on the subject.)

However I think Nanika may be a demon in perhaps a somewhat Islamic sense.

That is to say Nanika is a Genie or more accurately...a Jinn or a demon (basically.)
    I admit I know nothing about the subject so if anyone does feel free to add your 2 cents.

Part of my reason for thinking so is that I think the Zoldyck Family
    may be partially inspired by Islam and Islamic culture.
    Though I don't think the Zoldycks are Islamic themselves.
    I think religion exists in HxH but in the same way Jappon does.
    We will probably never learn of it and plot wise it probably doesn't matter.

But anyhow you may notice that

1. The Zolydycks are assassins. This term assassin comes from Islam/Islamic culture.

2.One of Killua's Yo-Yo has a Star of David. Normally this is thought of as a Jewish symbol but remember like Christianity and Judasim, Islam is one of the three major Abrahamic religions and there is a lot of overlapping early on. The Star of David is thus also Islamic

3. Republic of Padokea is basically Northern Africa which is predominately Islamic

I think there may be more allusions but I don't enough on the subject to see them

But I think the fact that Nanika grants wishes sounds a lot like a genie, don't it?
    But I don't think is Aladdin's genie we are dealing with here. You know it's funny
    how nobody has seemed to suggest that Nanika itself could be a danger to
    Killua and Alluka. If Nanika itself is something like a Jinn then it could get dicey for Killua

Also I'm sure other people noticed as well but Alluka has a sorta "Shaman" feel.
    Of course Shamans aren't Islamic but again I think Togashi likes to mix stuff.

A possible hint to Nanika being a literal Jinn is how the Zoldycks refer to Nanika
    as "It" and the talk of "It" being from a "dark place" and how "It" is not family.

Both Killua and Silva may be right.

Killua is right. ALLUKA is family.

Silva is right. Nanika is NOT family.

But it sounds like there is some mystery surrounding Alluka. I dunno if he always
    had Nanika or if something happened to him and then he got Nanika as a result.

However I have suspicions that Alluka and/or Nanika originated from the Dark Continent.

Demons on a continent. Literal hell on earth? No wonder they want to keep Pandora's box closed. And if this is the case you can imagine there will be men like Gyro who will try to take advantage.

Well I could be wrong and I'm sorry I don't have much more evidence.
    But I think it could be interesting. YuYu Hakusho was all about demons
    and it would be interesting to see how Togasi's take on them evolves

2. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 4 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Kazna's Avatar
    Country
    Vietnam
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Alluka and the Demon

I like your idea on that Nanika might be from the Dark Continent, so in this arc Killua would join the expedition and be together with Gon (again )

Besides, Nanika seems to have a strong bond with Alluka, since Nanika only grants the wish after 3 requests from Alluka have been satisfied. But just a thought, though, I can't explain that.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Cinnabar's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

I noticed the 'shaman' feel off the bat, but I don't really know if that has any other meaning or if the miko appearance is just for design. I do, however, think that there are a lot more mysteries revolving Alluka/Nanika that we need to uncover. It's amusing that he's called "Nanika," which means "something," in Japanese, but it's also used in asking questions. Very vague.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kazna View Post
    I like your idea on that Nanika might be from the Dark Continent, so in this arc Killua would join the expedition and be together with Gon (again )

Besides, Nanika seems to have a strong bond with Alluka, since Nanika only grants the wish after 3 requests from Alluka have been satisfied. But just a thought, though, I can't explain that.

I dunno how it would work. But I could see Nanika getting more unstable and Killua trying to figure out why
    (I don't think Killua knows just what the heck Nanika actually is---whether it is a split personality, a demon, or something else.)

Though we shouldn't see Killua for a while. I think we'll be with Gon in the Dark Continent first.
    And then we'll see why they were hiding it away from society---because it is the home of demons.

Quote Originally Posted by Cinnabar View Post
    I noticed the 'shaman' feel off the bat, but I don't really know if that has any other meaning or if the miko appearance is just for design. I do, however, think that there are a lot more mysteries revolving Alluka/Nanika that we need to uncover. It's amusing that he's called "Nanika," which means "something," in Japanese, but it's also used in asking questions. Very vague.

I think it is a hint to the spiritual side of HxH. Actually there's been a few hints that a spirit world exists in HxH.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member riniloves's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

all the nen beast i see throughout the manga's are called or summoned

I think Nanika is like this beings as well....

this was summoned becoz of rituals
    and

she summoned by calling the name...

and this
    Last edited by riniloves; October 04, 2012 at 10:13 AM.

7. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by riniloves View Post
    all the nen beast i see throughout the manga's are called or summoned

I think Nanika is like this beings as well....

this was summoned becoz of rituals
    and

she summoned by calling the name...

and this

What if the Dark Continent is where these nen beasts originated from? Or that the Dark Continent is just filled with these nen beasts?
    I think that would 1. make it extremely dangerous and 2. make it extremely awesome.

Also is there a connection between nen beasts and magical beasts?

Then there's Neon Nostrade as she is not in control of her own powers...sounds like possession to me.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member riniloves's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrsticky005 View Post
    What if the Dark Continent is where these nen beasts originated from? Or that the Dark Continent is just filled with these nen beasts?
    I think that would 1. make it extremely dangerous and 2. make it extremely awesome.

Also is there a connection between nen beasts and magical beasts?

Then there's Neon Nostrade as she is not in control of her own powers...sounds like possession to me.
    all we know about the dark continent is so far, nen originated there (idea)...
    In order to enter you need to fulfill all requirements
    in 340 one of the guys in BNetero's group said it will take half a year, but if they can bypass that V5 and HxH assoc. then what is left is keys - I believe there are keys or gate before entering that world... the government 200 yrs ago tried so hard to seal or not to venture in that place...
    sorry I'm just imagining why you cant enter the dark continent maybe you need keys? - even the queen ant find it difficult to get out from the continent...
    so getting in or out of the continent it will be a matter of life and death... I expect carnage.... if Togashi will pursue...
    Imagine natural America before the British or Spaniards enter the hostile territory.... the natives inhabiting the place almost annihilated....
    Last edited by riniloves; October 05, 2012 at 03:54 AM.

10. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Uriel's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting. I can see the concept clearly yet I think that being a Nen creatures makes more sense.
    It may one of those mysteries that Togashi will never tie up. :O
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames
    looks like the entrance to hell
    'Perfect', the captain said.

Banned 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
    Country
    Palau
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you think the idea of the dark continent came from CITY OF EMBER?

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Uriel View Post
    Interesting. I can see the concept clearly yet I think that being a Nen creatures makes more sense.
    It may one of those mysteries that Togashi will never tie up. :O
    I kinda think that nen creatures=demons of a sort

I don't expect it to be straight up good vs evil since HxH is green and orange morality

but I think Dark Continent will really get into the "spiritual" side of nen.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I got the feeling it'll turn out Aura is just something any uber beings naturally come with, whether they're good or evil, so it's not like some creatures are made out of Aura that happens to be called demons or whatever. It's just powerful creatures inherently have Aura as a property and depending on what these creatures think of human they might be called demons or angels or whatever.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Demonspeed's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if Killua himself is not a demon,his ability with his nails seems to be unique.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Cinnabar's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Let's take it up a notch. What if the whole Zoldyck family were demons? Lol.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Kazna's Avatar
    Country
    Vietnam
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cinnabar View Post
    Let's take it up a notch. What if the whole Zoldyck family were demons? Lol.
    If so, Alluka/Nanika would be accepted from the start!

18. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply