Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 754 by cnet128 , Bleach 590 by cnet128 , Gintama 504 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 2012 USA Presidential Elections

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zatono's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2012 USA Presidential Elections

I didn't get to see much of the debate, but from the small portion I saw it seemed like Biden was going to verbally destroy Ryan. Which I'm glad for.

Magma♥ MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Akainu's Avatar
    Country
    Bavaria
    Post Thanks / Like

So the contents were annulled and Ryan "won" in style. Could it be that media is a tad bit biased? One week the more active guy wins, the other the passive one, but oh wait, the winners are always Republicans. what a joke, CNN.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, given how the debates are structured who wins will to a large degree be left to the observer. If the guys cnn hires to comment on the matter are republican or more likely to side with ryan to begin with then this sort of debate will naturally get people who agree with ryan to say he won. If cnn had guys who would be to begin with supportive of biden then they would say he won.

MangaHelper MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

They have to keep the whole "tied till the end" thing I believe, even though in 2008 almost all of the media was on Obama's side. Biden was weird in the debate but Ryan was no Romney either. It was not a good debate, fades away, since all eyes are on Obama for the second one. Only he can change the polls, though the most attention all of this election had gotten was Romney destroying him in the first debate. The historic feel of 2008 is completely gone. I wonder what twists await further though.

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zatono's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

So Romney just said government does not create jobs...wait what? I'm sure he has a reason for saying that, but saying that alone doesn't look too good. From that alone I guess he can't blame Obama for not creating jobs, and I suppose he won't be creating any either if he's elected.

Last edited by Zatono; October 16, 2012 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Small mistake

6. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member BASED Shinigami's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Obama did much better this time around. Romney looked a little emotionally unsettled during the whole debate. I would be too with election day like three weeks away. I'm still undecided on who to vote for though. I have to to do more research and determine which candidate might benefit me more from being in office for the next four years. Right now I'm in the middle.
    My comic suggestions: Ecchi, Martial Arts, Historical, Harem, Adventure!

MH's Most High Quality Poster 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member earthforge's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Last night in a nutshell:

Forget the material, it's not like these debates are about that. It's all about who can embarrass his/herself the most.

With a satisfying meme like this, who cannot love the Romney campaign for providing endless hours of joy at their expense?
    Avatar © Chelsea Gordon, author of Not Quite Normal.

Corporate 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member blai's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, bring in a pipeline from Alaska, drill the shit out of your country & increase coal production and ignore green energy. That is how you create jobs for the middle class. Put them in coal mines, and let the 1% profit from that.

Also, nice job being an irrogant prick ignoring the moderator Romney, she's there for a reason. Stop being such a fucking crybaby, god. I wouldn't vote for him because of that reason alone...
    You're not paid to think;
    A mindless worker is a happy worker,
    so shut up and do your job.

10. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner foxinthestars's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been watching the debates on Democracy Now! where they bring in some 3rd party candidates. The downside of that is that last time they had the guy who blamed absolutely everything on immigrants stealing our jobs (I admit, being a native-born Midwestern white gal, I had the luxury of laughing at him), but the upside is people who actually want to stop the wars, have a "Green New Deal," and get us a half-civilized healthcare system. I think I'm going to vote for Jill Stein (Green Party), actually.

12. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Hound of Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member benelori's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Wasn't this Obama being asleep the first time and then going hard the 2nd time deal carefully planned? Does anyone feel the same?

Corporate 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member blai's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

He looked like he was having a fever or something the first time. I don't think it was planned but rather him being sick or something and then the 2nd time he felt like he did the last campaign and he will continue like he did the 2nd time throughout the election.

At least, that's what I think.
    You're not paid to think;
    A mindless worker is a happy worker,
    so shut up and do your job.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

---------- Post added October 23, 2012 at 10:26 AM ---------- Previous post was October 22, 2012 at 08:28 PM ----------

Well, it seems voters think romney got his ass handed to him.

Anyways, thinking about it does it make sense romney would win this debates? Looking back both of them have law backgrounds however at some point romney got into business and obama went into teaching for over a decade. Basically while Romney was dedicating his time to making money and whatever else he normally does obama was dedicating his time to the academics. Taking this into consideration how much of a chance did romney have here to begin with? It would barely even matter who is right in the debate, the whole thing would be more of obama's field to begin with.

Perhaps another consideration is the scope of the debate. Perhaps romney's fields in this case would be the micro areas while obama will end having an advantage in the macro areas of the debate.
    Last edited by kkck; October 23, 2012 at 10:53 PM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

What's the point of losing the first debate then doing exceptionally well in the next few? Why not be consistent through all of them?

MangaHelper MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blakreaper View Post
    What's the point of losing the first debate then doing exceptionally well in the next few? Why not be consistent through all of them?
    Because of the media, the poll results, debate results and stuff are dictated by them. They put pressure on him, the only opposite being Fox News, of the major ones that is against him, and still ANY publicity is GOOD publicity, even negative. So Obama had to bring up the talking points like the "47 percent" to the table. Though in history how will this be remembered:

1st : Romney
    2nd: Obama
    3rd: Obama

So that is that, in the time of tv media is dying out though. Let's hope the debates have more meaning in the future, when the Internet steps in more and more.

18. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

As a first time voter I'm excited to cast my ballot finally, but at the same time not really because I don't really like Obama or Romney. I do wonder if Romney stands a better chance of winning this election than John McCain did in 08.

New Reply
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast