Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/7/14 - 7/13/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 502 by kewl0210 , Bleach 588 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Who is more important to Gon? Kite or Ging?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member futurefrog's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Who is more important to Gon? Kite or Ging?

Now the reason I made this topic is to discuss Kite vs Ging (no not in a fight). Who is matters most to Gon and why?

I am gonna go out on a limb here and say that Gon cares more for Kite than Ging.

Kite changed Gon's life. Gon never knew anything about his father or the world of Hunters, Kite appeared, saved the young boys life and told him of the man who is his father.

I'd argue that Gon doesn't view Ging as his father figure, but instead views Kite this way. Kite is the man who has always protected Gon and saved his life twice, once as a young children from the Fox Bear and the other time from Pitou. Kite is surely a father figure in Gon's eyes, the man who protects him, the man he aspires to be like.

You could say that Gon aspires to be like Ging but I think this is false, instead I believe he aspires to follow Kite's footsteps. Now that Kite is revived he reunited with him and apologised for not being able to fight along-side him. Kite understands that he is weak and assures him he will get stronger.

Now lets go back a little bit to when Gon and Killua discuss what might have happened to Kite. Gon says that Kite has to be alive, he wouldnt die. This is Gon's childish vision of Kite as the superhero that protected him from the Fox Bear. He views Kite as a superhero almost incapable of death.

Fastforward to Gon vs Pitou. Gon is faced with the reality he feared, Kite had indeed died at the hands of Pitou. Gon transforms knowing very well that he will die in the process, he is willing to die to defeat Pitou the man who killed Kite. One could also say that Gon intended to join Kite in the afterlife. Now right here, Gon's intention to die killing Pitou shows us that Kite is more important that his goal to find Ging, he was willing to give up the goal of meeting Ging in order to avenge Kite. Right there in Gon's mind Kite means more to him than that deadbeat Ging.

Jump forward a bit more to when Gon first meets Ging, now instead of an emotional reunion with his father all Gon can talk about is Kite. He doesn't seem to care that he has just met his biological father, that's what this whole journey was for right? Wrong. I don't believe Gon truly cared about meeting Ging, he is just a curious boy. His connection with Ging is weak, but he cared deeply for Kite, more so than his own biological father. Even after meeting with his father and talking with him, he still chooses to return to Kite. That speaks volumes about Gon's opinion of Kite.

So what do you guys think? Kite or Ging? Who does Gon care for more?

"If you want to understand someone, find out what makes them angry."

2. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member MegamanX195's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Who is more important to Gon? Kite or Ging?

To simplify it: Kite is the master, the protector, the inspiration. Ging is (was?) the goal, the objective. Ging isn't a "person" to Gon. Or at least wasn't.

Now, it's up to you: who's more important, the friend or the objective? Since we're talking about Gon, I think it's obvious. Then again... maybe not.
    Last edited by MegamanX195; October 04, 2012 at 08:29 AM.

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Demonspeed's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Gon didn't love Ging until chapter 338,IMO he was just curious. I think Kite was more important to him before this chapter,but Ging is now.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member GingFuriksu's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I always thought he cared more about Kite but after reading that... it sounds pretty factual now

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member mrsticky005's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MegamanX195 View Post
    To simplify it: Kite is the master, the protector, the inspiration. Ging is (was?) the goal, the objective. Ging isn't a "person" to Gon. Or at least wasn't.

Now, it's up to you: who's more important, the friend or the objective? Since we're talking about Gon, I think it's obvious. Then again... maybe not.
    I agree with this. Gon couldn't really care about Ging as a person because he didn't even know him.

Kite was basically the father figure in Gon's life.

---------- Post added at 06:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:57 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by futurefrog View Post
    Now the reason I made this topic is to discuss Kite vs Ging (no not in a fight). Who is matters most to Gon and why?

I am gonna go out on a limb here and say that Gon cares more for Kite than Ging.

Kite changed Gon's life. Gon never knew anything about his father or the world of Hunters, Kite appeared, saved the young boys life and told him of the man who is his father.

I'd argue that Gon doesn't view Ging as his father figure, but instead views Kite this way. Kite is the man who has always protected Gon and saved his life twice, once as a young children from the Fox Bear and the other time from Pitou. Kite is surely a father figure in Gon's eyes, the man who protects him, the man he aspires to be like.

You could say that Gon aspires to be like Ging but I think this is false, instead I believe he aspires to follow Kite's footsteps. Now that Kite is revived he reunited with him and apologised for not being able to fight along-side him. Kite understands that he is weak and assures him he will get stronger.

Now lets go back a little bit to when Gon and Killua discuss what might have happened to Kite. Gon says that Kite has to be alive, he wouldnt die. This is Gon's childish vision of Kite as the superhero that protected him from the Fox Bear. He views Kite as a superhero almost incapable of death.

Fastforward to Gon vs Pitou. Gon is faced with the reality he feared, Kite had indeed died at the hands of Pitou. Gon transforms knowing very well that he will die in the process, he is willing to die to defeat Pitou the man who killed Kite. One could also say that Gon intended to join Kite in the afterlife. Now right here, Gon's intention to die killing Pitou shows us that Kite is more important that his goal to find Ging, he was willing to give up the goal of meeting Ging in order to avenge Kite. Right there in Gon's mind Kite means more to him than that deadbeat Ging.

Jump forward a bit more to when Gon first meets Ging, now instead of an emotional reunion with his father all Gon can talk about is Kite. He doesn't seem to care that he has just met his biological father, that's what this whole journey was for right? Wrong. I don't believe Gon truly cared about meeting Ging, he is just a curious boy. His connection with Ging is weak, but he cared deeply for Kite, more so than his own biological father. Even after meeting with his father and talking with him, he still chooses to return to Kite. That speaks volumes about Gon's opinion of Kite.

So what do you guys think? Kite or Ging? Who does Gon care for more?

Gon DOES want to be like Ging. But out of respect for Kite. Gon admires Kite and Kite admires Ging. Gon finding his father is flattery towards Kite in a way.
    I don't think Gon really cared about the "reunion". He saw Kite as a great hunter and Kite said that catching Ging is the most difficult hunt ever.

Gon wants Kite to be proud of him.

7. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Banned 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
    Country
    Palau
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe Ging wanted this to happen? (wtf?)
    He wants Gon to be attached deeply to Kite so that would be his advantage for not finding him.
    At the first place, Ging doesn't want to meet Gon in the mean time but unfortunately because of the New Chairman Election they did meet.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I do believe Kite is more important to Gon but some of you guys are pretty much saying that Ging isn't important to him in the sense of a father or a person but more of an objective ?

That's what I have to disagree on. If you guys open your volume 14 and go to page 60, Gon got angry and decided not to join the group ( mind you, risking Killua's life ) because they were speaking badly about Ging. ( Well his game ) But same difference. So I do believe he still has feelings for Ging as a father. But yeah, for the most part, Kite is more important to him.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

He doesn't care about Ging. Ging is his hunt. Always has been. And it's very telling that Gon considers it appropriate to refer to him as "Ging" ("it sounds right") rather than father.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member mrsticky005's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mousiehamster View Post
    He doesn't care about Ging. Ging is his hunt. Always has been. And it's very telling that Gon considers it appropriate to refer to him as "Ging" ("it sounds right") rather than father.
    I somewhat agree but to take it further I think Gon made it his hunt because Kite
    called it the most difficult hunt and since Gon cares about Kite he wants to make
    him proud by completing the most difficult hunt.

12. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrsticky005 View Post
    I somewhat agree but to take it further I think Gon made it his hunt because Kite
    called it the most difficult hunt and since Gon cares about Kite he wants to make
    him proud by completing the most difficult hunt.
    Hit the nail right on the head.

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Uriel's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mousiehamster View Post
    This.

But if you ask me which is the most important person for him...I would say Mito.
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames
    looks like the entrance to hell
    'Perfect', the captain said.

15. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Uriel View Post
    This.

But if you ask me which is the most important person for him...I would say Mito.
    I will agree to this. Mito didn't dramatically change his life or really give him a goal. But she gave him something no one else did, she gave him love.
    She is Gon's mother, that's all there is to it in Gon's mind.

17. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Banned 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
    Country
    Palau
    Post Thanks / Like

Let's try ranking the people most important to Gon:

I think it will be like this:
    1st Mito
    2nd Killua
    3rd Kite
    4th Ging
    5th Kurapika/Leorio/Biscuit
    6th Other Friends

Let me see your rankings as well. I think mine is not accurate.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by X3D2YFaust View Post
    Let's try ranking the people most important to Gon:

I think it will be like this:
    1st Mito
    2nd Killua
    3rd Kite
    4th Ging
    5th Kurapika/Leorio/Biscuit
    6th Other Friends

Let me see your rankings as well. I think mine is not accurate.
    I would have to completely agree with this list, but if I would have to change ANYTHING, I'd probably put " Kurapika/Leorio " 4th, Ging 5th, Biscuit 6th and other friends 7th.

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

This will probably rile some of you up but this is how I view it:

1. Mito
    2. Kite
    3. Killua
    4. Kurapika/Leorio
    5. Hisoka
    6. Ging
    7. Others

I rank Hisoka above Ging because his impact on Gon is more pronounced and Gon has a deep complex and mysterious connection with him. Ging as many have listed was his hunt, his end goal. Also I rank Kite above Killua because when it came down to it who did Gon choose? He chose Kite the man who changed his life and showed him that the world was bigger than Whale Island and gave him his dream to be a hunter and the goal to hunt Ging.

21. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast