Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 595 by BadKarma
Thread Closed
Page 111 of 134 FirstFirst ... 11 61 101 109 110 111 112 113 121 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,665 of 2003

Thread: Mafia Game "Discussion" Thread v.4

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted FrostyMouse's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mafia Game "Discussion" Thread v.4

Personally, I'd prefer that we just start with a Night 1 phase and skip the Day 1 phase as we seem to just randomly lynch someone with only a small chance of killing a mafia member, instantly putting the townies at a disadvantage. If we started with the Night 1 phase, people would die and the remaining players would have to respond and we could get a sense of things better with people making excuses, explanations, everything. In the Day 1 phase, half of the people barely show up and basically just make the requisite post or two and vote for someone usually random.

Thoughts?

MangaHelper 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! Farfalla's Avatar
    Country
    Wallis & Futuna
    Post Thanks / Like

That's totally pro-mafia, imo... When we randomly lynch someone during day 1, we have the chance of lynching a mafia member. But if we start with a night phase, unless we have two mafias or whatever, we'll always start with a dead townie. So I don't see how that could be better to townies o.o

3. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Imperium's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrostyMouse View Post
    Personally, I'd prefer that we just start with a Night 1 phase and skip the Day 1 phase as we seem to just randomly lynch someone with only a small chance of killing a mafia member, instantly putting the townies at a disadvantage. If we started with the Night 1 phase, people would die and the remaining players would have to respond and we could get a sense of things better with people making excuses, explanations, everything. In the Day 1 phase, half of the people barely show up and basically just make the requisite post or two and vote for someone usually random.

Thoughts?
    So this scenario is possible:

Hey, Imp you're new role is a regular townie

Nightphase 1 begin!

Imp you have been killed by the mafia

Me: Goddamit

You could literally just play...nothing? What would the Mafia base their kill on? Your previous games?
    Quote Originally Posted by gnut View Post
    ...i could pimp in bulgaria...my game tight like that

5. Like 4 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Mazino's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Imperium View Post

Nightphase 1 begin!

You could literally just play...nothing? What would the Mafia base their kill on? Your previous games?

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Farfalla View Post
    That's totally pro-mafia, imo... When we randomly lynch someone during day 1, we have the chance of lynching a mafia member. But if we start with a night phase, unless we have two mafias or whatever, we'll always start with a dead townie. So I don't see how that could be better to townies o.o
    The chances of lynching a mafia member are usually 25% or less, which isn't very high. When you start with a night phase, it always starts with a dead townie (assuming one mafia), but it's only one dead townie at the end of the first full day. When we start with a day phase, we usually end up killing a townie off the bat, so it's two dead townies by the end of the first full day.

Nightphase 1 begin!

Yeah, it could happen, especially as whoever dies the first day and night in our current system barely get to play as it is.

The mafia have to make a random choice, and it's not as if the mafia have to base their opening kill on anything. If lawlett were a mafia member, he'd probably try to kill sakura at some point (not the first night as that would be too obvious, but...)

MangaHelper 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! Farfalla's Avatar
    Country
    Wallis & Futuna
    Post Thanks / Like

The chances of lynching a mafia member are usually 25% or less, which isn't very high. When you start with a night phase, it always starts with a dead townie (assuming one mafia), but it's only one dead townie at the end of the first full day. When we start with a day phase, we usually end up killing a townie off the bat, so it's two dead townies by the end of the first full day.
    The mafia have to make a random choice, and it's not as if the mafia have to base their opening kill on anything. If lawlett were a mafia member, he'd probably try to kill sakura at some point (not the first night as that would be too obvious, but...)
    Still, as Imp said and you replied, the mafia kill would be mostly so random that even the killing itself wouldn't help the townies at all. We would have someone randomly getting lynched on day 2, day one would only be postponed... 25% is always better than 0%.

Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, it could happen, especially as whoever dies the first day and night in our current system barely get to play as it is.

There is a difference between barely playing (having the chance to post a lot in the first day) and not playing at all (which was the scenario I suggested). A person can sign up and actually have no impact into whether he is killed or not. I think that is antithesis to the spirit of the game.

Besides the mafia killings are not random. They are based upon prejudices people built up from previous games (or even like you said outside the game) and from the first day phase. If they were truly random then every townie would have an equal chance of being lynched by the mafia at the beginning, but that would not be the case. If I was a mafia member in that game, the first person I would think of lynching would be you or xi0 because I believe you are strong players. This is something I built up from playing previous games. There would similar thoughts occurring to others. That would not be a random vote.

Besides the whole thing is based upon the assumption that nothing happens in the first day phase which is a false premise. Take for instance my previous scenario, if I was in the first day phase I could attract Mafia attention, I could avoid mafia attention, I could place suspicion on them or any number of things that could affect the game. My contribution to the game in that case would not have been cut short. The point I am trying to labour towards is that you have to give the people the chance to actually play the game, it should include the chance for someone to actually affect their outcome. And a (not so) random killing in the beginning takes that away.
    Last edited by Imperium; November 27, 2012 at 08:47 PM.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Still, as Imp said and you replied, the mafia kill would be mostly so random that even the killing itself wouldn't help the townies at all. We would have someone randomly getting lynched on day 2, day one would only be postponed... 25% is always better than 0%.
    So, your thinking is that we get a second chance at the mafia in Day 2 (the third phase), as opposed to having to wait until Day 3 (no Day 1, which makes it the fourth phase), so starting with a Day phase gives the townies a better earlier chance?

There is a difference between barely playing (having the chance to post a lot in the first day) and not playing at all (which was the scenario I suggested). A person can sign up and actually have no impact into whether he is killed or not. I think that is antithesis to the spirit of the game.
    Well, a lot of people don't really take the opportunity to post a lot in the first day or play cagily so as to throw suspicion off of themselves. However, I do agree that if we start with a Night phase, there are people who don't get to play at all, and that in itself could drive some people away.

When you play Mafia IRL, every group I've ever played with starts with a Night phase, although it is much different when you're in person as opposed to playing on the internet as you can judge facial expressions, reactions, and comments much better in person, and you can only judge based on comments when playing on the internet.

Besides the mafia killings are not random. They are based upon prejudices people built up from previous games (or even like you said outside the game) and from the first day phase. If they were truly random then every townie would have an equal chance of being lynched by the mafia at the beginning, but that would not be the case. If I was a mafia member in that game, the first person I would think of lynching would be you or xi0 because I believe you are strong players. This is something I built up from playing previous games. There would similar thoughts occurring to others. That would not be a random vote.
    As we both pointed out, there's no way that you can really believe that the mafia don't have beliefs or biases built up based on previous Mafia games or just general forum interaction about other players.

Yeah, I know. I think Gary would probably go first if there were a Night 1, especially as he has more experience playing with all of you than I do, but I'd probably be in the first few to be mafia killed. I admit that at times, if you start with a Night phase, certain players may not get to participate in the game at all as the Mafia would just take them out during Night 1 and be done with them, which is something that I have experienced when I've played with a group of people over a period of time IRL. At least half the time, we just lynched one of our friends in the first three rounds just because. :P

Besides the whole thing is based upon the assumption that nothing happens in the first day phase which is a false premise. Take for instance my previous scenario, if I was in the first day phase I could attract Mafia attention, I could avoid mafia attention, I could place suspicion on them or any number of things that could affect the game. My contribution to the game in that case would not have been cut short. The point I am trying to labour towards is that you have to give the people the chance to actually play the game, it should include the chance for someone to actually affect their outcome. And a (not so) random killing in the beginning takes that away.
    A Day 1 phase gives you time to protect yourself, something that a Night 1 phase doesn't give you. I'll grant that starting with a Day phase does have a lot of advantages over starting with a Night phase, but I'd be curious to see how the FF people react and play when you start with a Night phase, which as we've all pointed out, makes a game begin in a much different manner.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member wizzard's Avatar
    Country
    Bulgaria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hardy View Post
    Do you want to be the first one to get killed?
    Of course...not! I want to win :amsue.

Thoughts?
    Well instead of dying we could introduce a small story to the game with something like
    '...Last night the police got wind about mafia gathering, but when they arrived they only caught the image of the newest recruit, sadly it was too dark to recognize him and a wild chase begun' then we townie and mafia talk during night 1 and at the end of the night phase the mafia manages to kill of a townie. Then day phase begins.

on the other hand we could make 1-st day phase shorter, but that would pute those who can't get to a PC at a disadvantage.

Ah, I'm sick of reading and making long posts!

My thread. | MAL:myanimelist | mymangalist |
    Quote Originally Posted by Krina29 View Post
    +I like talking to you

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Evil3ye's Avatar
    Country
    San Marino
    Post Thanks / Like

So where's your kdowns now? Huh-huh sakura? HUH HUH????

---------- Post added at 01:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 PM ----------

13. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 6 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Charlie? Seriously, what the hell man. Was it peer pressure that made you sign up? What was the point? You did the exact same thing in your first and only game before.

15. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Hound of Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member benelori's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Thoughts?
    It does offer better perspective, and me and my friends always play with a night phase first...but in this case the number of mafia roles would have to be smaller...in the case of 2 mafia sides there would be 2 victims in most cases, so the balance should be corrected with adding more normal doctors or normal detectives...or perhaps not having a janitor...something like that...

I'm in favour of night phase first for future games

Halfway 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

dont this game start tomorrow?

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    dont this game start tomorrow?
    Nope, we started it early...Evil PMed you your role, so...

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member wizzard's Avatar
    Country
    Bulgaria
    Post Thanks / Like

Nope, we started it early...Evil PMed you your role, so...
    Already lectured him about how it works

My thread. | MAL:myanimelist | mymangalist |
    Quote Originally Posted by Krina29 View Post
    +I like talking to you

20. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
Thread Closed
Page 111 of 134 FirstFirst ... 11 61 101 109 110 111 112 113 121 ... LastLast