Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 600 (2) , Gintama 514 by Bomber D Rufi
Thread Closed
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: It's good to see how active we are even though HxH Manga is on hiatus.

Artists of MH 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity FaustXIII's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs Up It's good to see how active we are even though HxH Manga is on hiatus.

It's good to see how active we are even though HxH Manga is on hiatus.

2. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Kiba's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: It's good to see how active we are even though HxH Manga is on hiatus.

that just shows us how big fans we are

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member mrsticky005's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Question:

How many other shonen manga could survive with the Hiatus Plague as HxH manages to do?

What other Shonen series could go a full year and be still as popular?

Note that they must be shonen series as Seinen series come out monthly or even bimonthly or Seasonally.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member futurefrog's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrsticky005 View Post
    Question:

How many other shonen manga could survive with the Hiatus Plague as HxH manages to do?

What other Shonen series could go a full year and be still as popular?

Note that they must be shonen series as Seinen series come out monthly or even bimonthly or Seasonally.
    None. That's simply it. Togashi is a creative genius with a rabid and loyal fanbase, that would follow him to the ends of the earth.

"If you want to understand someone, find out what makes them angry."

6. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member bambinarubata's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Not only are we active .... but even though I am Italian I come here for news about the series. hehe

---------- Post added at 09:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by futurefrog View Post
    None. That's simply it. Togashi is a creative genius with a rabid and loyal fanbase, that would follow him to the ends of the earth.

I agree ... Togashi is a genius ... even if slow.

8. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member futurefrog's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bambinarubata View Post
    Not only are we active .... but even though I am Italian I come here for news about the series. hehe

---------- Post added at 09:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 AM ----------

I agree ... Togashi is a genius ... even if slow.
    Sometimes true genius takes time. I can handle waiting because I know that what I get for waiting is quality manga. Whereas if Kubo took a year long hiatus from Bleach, I would never read it again. It's not all that interesting to me as it is now, and there wouldn't be any all enticing reason to return for him, he just isn't that good.

Togashi though... he's another beast altogether..

"If you want to understand someone, find out what makes them angry."

10. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member GingFuriksu's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The ONLY manga I can see still making a lot of money after a year of hiatus is One Piece and that's because over in Japan, everyone and their grandmother reads it xD
    *cough* HxH still shits on it though *cough*

Yeah it is nice to see how active it is. I recently joined and I didn't expect for it to be this live.... damn, I can only imagine how its going to be once the manga returns! ^_^

PS- YES! Togashi IS a genius - FACT
    Last edited by GingFuriksu; October 06, 2012 at 08:47 PM.

12. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

One Piece might survive due to the popularity and the sheer length.
    But that might also be it's downfall.

One Piece is popular partially because...it's popular. In the states I would say it is a martyr series thanks to 4kids because people are constantly trying to prove how
    good it is after 4kids gave it a bad image. Thing is they go overboard and think it's the best manga in existence and trash every other manga out there.
    A long wait will make most people impatient and that would cause a ripple effect.

The sheer length would make people afraid to pick it up. With a year long hiatus people would be unsure if the series was cancelled or not.
    Who wants to read 50+ volumes of a cancelled series? Of course it wouldn't be cancelled but a year without any chapters might lead to that conclusion.

I think part of the reason why HxH survives is because a lot of the fans ARE hardcore fans.

14. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member MegamanX195's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

The reason for that is because we're not amateur Hunters... we're PRO Hunters!

16. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity TheBoss's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

One Piece is amazing the way it is, and saying that it popular only because its popular is offencive to everyone that loves it.
    OP is the most popular manga of Japan for a reason, if oda took a one year hiatus i'm sure people would still keep following his manga.
    HxH can withstand the constant hiatuses because is a great manga, with great characters and unforgetable storyline.
    So lets avoid comparing them based on groundless assumptions.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheBoss View Post
    One Piece is amazing the way it is, and saying that it popular only because its popular is offencive to everyone that loves it.
    OP is the most popular manga of Japan for a reason, if oda took a one year hiatus i'm sure people would still keep following his manga.
    HxH can withstand the constant hiatuses because is a great manga, with great characters and unforgetable storyline.
    So lets avoid comparing them based on groundless assumptions.
    I didn't say it was ONLY popular because it's popular I said it's PARTIALLY popular because it's popular. There's a difference.
    One Piece is a good solid manga for sure but it's rather hyped just like Dragon Ball is or Naruto is. That doesn't make it bad.
    Last edited by mrsticky005; October 06, 2012 at 10:03 PM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

One Piece has been poorly received by the more elitist circles ever since the Pinnacle Battle. I won't say these things reflect some kind of universal truth but the Pinnacle Battle is just really a bad arc, and the follow up stories are pretty bad too so it's like nowhere close to the top in terms of pure quality.

Of course it's still super popular but there's a lot of popular stuff that aren't necessarily all that great. I guess it's better than the other major stuff, but nobody ever thought of Naruto or Bleach as a standard to measure literary excellence either. Oda if nothing else is at least hard working so just that alone puts him ahead of most others but just like laziness doesn't invalidate everything else Togashi does, hard working alone doesn't make you the best manga. It's certainly a lot easier being a fan of OP than HXH, though.
    Last edited by Phantron; October 06, 2012 at 10:25 PM.

20. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity TheBoss's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

My point is that you shouldn't make groundless assumptions phantron.
    If you are unsatisfied and you think that the manga is "pretty bad" right now you should at least try to make use of a reasonable argument.
    Oda style didn't change a thing after marineford, maybe in FI because it was a special setting, but if you look close to PH arc you see it all over.
    And I never said Togashi "laziness" invalidates his work, HxH personally is my fav manga even with the constant hiatuses plaguing the arcs.

mrsticky (Sorry if I misundestood you there), yes I agree its hyped but I fail to see what this have with quality of his work. In fact HxH is just as popular as Naruto and OP, and always gets high tank sells.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Pinnacle Battle's plot can be summarized as "Nobody calls Whitebeard chicken".

Oda's style probably hasn't changed. He just never had any talent to handle the 'pinnacle' characters so to speak which is why Pinnacle Battle is horrendously bad. He always has a very high level of competence when dealing with large number of sort of powerful but not quite uber tier characters though the fish people island is especially forgettable even for OP (pretty much every guy they fought there is totally irrelevent and doesn't stand out in any way whatsoever). Everything else is consistently at his expected level and if you like that kind of stuff all the power to you, though it's also rather predictable. That doesn't make it bad but it's not that exciting either to see the same kind of story told 10 times. But since Pinnacle Battle is supposed to be the halfway point climax I think it counts especially hard against OP in that the battle turned out to be a total joke.

Togashi, on the other hand, handles the pinnacle characters really well, and he really doesn't handle the weak characters that well (they usually just die horribly because he can't be bothered to waste what little time he is not on hiatus to talk about them). Though since people usually care more about the most powerful characters than the fodders. I'd say that Pariston didn't quite live up to his role as 'The Next Evil' but that's mostly due to Togashi's lack of work ethic. It's pretty hard to have a meaningful character developed when you only have 20-30 chapters.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member GingFuriksu's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Phantron View Post
    One Piece has been poorly received by the more elitist circles ever since the Pinnacle Battle. I won't say these things reflect some kind of universal truth but the Pinnacle Battle is just really a bad arc, and the follow up stories are pretty bad too so it's like nowhere close to the top in terms of pure quality.

Of course it's still super popular but there's a lot of popular stuff that aren't necessarily all that great. I guess it's better than the other major stuff, but nobody ever thought of Naruto or Bleach as a standard to measure literary excellence either. Oda if nothing else is at least hard working so just that alone puts him ahead of most others but just like laziness doesn't invalidate everything else Togashi does, hard working alone doesn't make you the best manga. It's certainly a lot easier being a fan of OP than HXH, though.
    " There's a lot of popular stuff that aren't necessarily all that great " - FAIRY TAIL IS THE BEST EXAMPLE !! xD
    " It's certainly a lot easier being a fan of OP then HxH, though " - 100% Agreed.

Thread Closed
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast