Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 595 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What is the weak point of Kurapika?

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kindredxiuxiu's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What is the weak point of Kurapika?

I'm not sure what needs to be done to officially join the spiders, but I know Hisoka had a fake tattoo that he made with his "deceitful texture" technique. Thus, he never had a real spider tattoo.

Maybe it's some sort of initiation ritual. You join, and to be an official member, you get a tattoo.

Plus, I can't imagine it'd be easy to just quit the gang when you want to. Hisoka was an exception. I wouldn't be surprised if quitting would be the equivalent of death.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member riniloves's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Kalluto might be a fake spider too or just a pending member (remember Nobu? he asked Danchou permission first coz he wanted Gon and Killua in the group), since for me he is never a member coz his loyalty is still in his family.... I think the spider tattoo itself is made of nen... Chain jail is made of nen.. wont be that hard to figure out if youre a spider or not... if that is the case...

3. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Joining the Spiders doesn't seem like a complicated process. Nobunaga wanted to recommend Gon in, and Kuroro says he'll take a look, suggesting it's mostly just his word on whether someone gets in or not. Although we don't see people leaving the Spiders outside of Hisoka (probably because it'd be a dangerous thing to do), presumably Kuroro has the same authority there too if he really wants to kick someone out of the group.

Now Kuroro, while he's under Judgment Chain, can't say, "Hisoka, you're removed from the group" because Hisoka is still a member of the Spiders (at least in Kuroro's mind) so talking to him would get Kuroro killed first. But, I don't see why the members can't quit at any time. After all, we know one way to get in is by killing one of the members (that's how Hisoka get in). So when Hisoka joined, he presumably killed the ex #4 and then he's in, so if that's a rule established by Spiders to determine membership, how can you even fake it?

I think Hisoka removing the tattoo is because it's clear having two Spiders fight each other is taboo. That is, if he killed Kuroro it's entirely possible some of the Spiders actually don't care, but ALL the Spiders are against any two members fighting each other. Had he killed Kuroro while he's a Spider he knows if the word gets out then he basically violated some kind of sacred code amongst all Spiders so they'll all be hunting him down. On the other hand, each individual member, even Kuroro, can die without the same kind of reaction. After all we can assume no one sought revenge on Hisoka for killing the ex #4. Sure, Kuroro has quite a few supporters, but it's not unanimous either. Roughly half of the guys don't really care if Kuroro died or not.

5. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member bambinarubata's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Kurapika also killed a member of the Genei Ryodan! paradoxically, can take the place of Ubo? ° _ °

Or maybe Hisoka killing the previous number 4, has acted in a regular way?

what is the true rule to enter the genei ryodan?

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Kazna's Avatar
    Country
    Vietnam
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bambinarubata View Post
    Kurapika also killed a member of the Genei Ryodan! paradoxically, can take the place of Ubo? ° _ °

Or maybe Hisoka killing the previous number 4, has acted in a regular way?

what is the true rule to enter the genei ryodan?
    In my view the rule to join is rather simple: if the group is full then one just asks for permission (from Kuroro, pretty much) then challenge a member and defeat that one. If it is not full then Kuroro invites someone, or some member in the group nominates/introduces one (like Nobunaga did).

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member mrsticky005's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kazna View Post
    In my view the rule to join is rather simple: if the group is full then one just asks for permission (from Kuroro, pretty much) then challenge a member and defeat that one. If it is not full then Kuroro invites someone, or some member in the group nominates/introduces one (like Nobunaga did).
    Is there any rules that say it HAS to be 13 members?

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Kazna's Avatar
    Country
    Vietnam
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrsticky005 View Post
    Is there any rules that say it HAS to be 13 members?
    Now that you ask it, uhm, actuallly, no. In chapter 78, Hisoka only says "The Ryodan has 13 members", then "The ones who want to enter the Ryodan must fight against a member to replace him" and "If some people are missing, the boss can choose the integrate new guys" (fan translation). From those I conclude that the troupe has at most 13 members (plus, the spider tatoo has 12 legs with a head if I remember well). On the other hand I don't think it always has to be 13 members, say, one is missing but that place can be empty until there is one qualified to fill it, not that the troupe actively searches for one to ask them to join.

10. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

The way i see it aura is absolute. The same way kurapika could not use his "chain jail" against someone who isn't a spider simply pretending thinking the dude to be one of them, a spider could not be immune to kurapika 's abilty simply quiting on purpose, in order to not be concerned anymore by the restriction. The only way to get rid of this "chain jail " curse is to really, sincerely quit the ryodan without being motivated by their situation with the chain guy; in which case such a person should not be willing to cooperate with the group anymore. For example kaito should not be able to change weapons while he has not given his best with the weapon selected simply because he pretends to have done so.
    In short, the way i see it hisoka was the only one immune to the imposed zetsu during the yorkshin arc, because he trully didn't belong to the group. I believe, that uvo was screwed the minute he got caught , and his nen would have remained sealed had he quit the ryodan at that moment. Hisoka has never been a spider (the fake tatoo, missed meetings, the guy was a spy), that's what kururo realised, figuring out that he could so safely speak with him.
    Kurapika hatred and resolve, the spider loyalty , all those things goes beyond words, the ryodan could very well change their logo and the name of the organization, kurapika's ability would still remain effective imo.

And if i remember correctly it's not that easy to quit the ryodan. Machi had warned Hisoka that the york shin mission, one of the rare occasion all the spiders were gathered, was a special one, and so if he didn't show up, there could have been retaliation.....
    Last edited by Mylesime; October 10, 2012 at 08:06 AM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The spiders started out with only 7 guys, so they can go beyond 13 too. I'm sure the number of members is something Kuroro decides.

I guess the 'kill the last member' rule also depends on how popular the member you killed was, though Machi did say she thought Kuroro wanted the Chain Assassin to join them so she wanted to capture him alive.

In fact, this is probably why there is the "Spiders cannot fight each other seriously rule" since it's quite likely a lot of Spiders got in the group by killing somebody that was another Spider's friend.

You can't fool aura but "Spiders" is a label. The condition isn't 'only use it on those 13 specific guys, some of them whom I have never met". It is 'use it only guys with a specific label (Spiders)". In fact, if Kuroro just renamed the Spiders as Rainbow Unicorns then Kurapika's ability would be useless. It is unlikely he do this because he's pretty proud of his organization too and that'd basically be admitting defeat, but I don't see why this wouldn't trivially counter Kurapika's ability. We can assume the members are also pretty proud of their spot in the Spiders so perhaps they would never leave the organization just to survive, but I don't think you can say everyone has that much pride. Certainly I can see someone like Kalluto just bailing the organization if that's the difference between life and death. The biggest problem is Kuroro, as being the leader he can clearly remove/add people as he see fit and since he's the leader, his command takes precedence. I.e. if he removed someone from the Spiders, then that takes precedence over whether that particular member wanted to leave or not, so there's no chance to use Chain Jail once Kuroro returns to normal.

But again people are too caught up on Chain Jail. It's been said multiple times if the goal is just to kill, Chain Jail is a very inefficeint way about doing it. Paralyze on touch effects is just as good (chain someone, paralyze them, stab them while they can't move) and would require a much weaker condition. So the fact that Spiders can break out of Chain Jail is actually irrelevent in terms of fighting to the death. Chain Jail represents Kurapika's determination to not only defeat Spiders but also make them repent for their sins. If he wanted to just kill them all, he should learn stuff like "Chain Bomb" or something (i.e. chain around you and blows you up). In fact, that'd probably take way less effort to do than doing nearly unbreakable chains.

13. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member mrsticky005's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kazna View Post
    Now that you ask it, uhm, actuallly, no. In chapter 78, Hisoka only says "The Ryodan has 13 members", then "The ones who want to enter the Ryodan must fight against a member to replace him" and "If some people are missing, the boss can choose the integrate new guys" (fan translation). From those I conclude that the troupe has at most 13 members (plus, the spider tatoo has 12 legs with a head if I remember well). On the other hand I don't think it always has to be 13 members, say, one is missing but that place can be empty until there is one qualified to fill it, not that the troupe actively searches for one to ask them to join.
    I'm just wondering why it can't be 14? Or 15? Or a 1000?
    Is their some valid reason for just 13 or is it just arbitrary?
    Maybe 13 is the max number of people that can be trusted?

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrsticky005 View Post
    I'm just wondering why it can't be 14? Or 15? Or a 1000?
    Maybe 13 is the max number of people that can be trusted?
    There was never any reason given for why the total number is 13 but since Kuroro started the organization, I'm sure he's free to change the maximum number of members if he feels a need to. After all, the Spiders started out with only 7 guys.

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kindredxiuxiu's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    I think the number 13 is a popular number for a group of people, and Togashi was like "hey, I'm going to make the GR a group of 13 people, too!"

But yeah, I think of Chrollo really wanted to accept in new members, he could. I think Togashi just chose the number 13 for whatever reason.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Kiba's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

actually kurapika isnt that strong hes just strong against the ryodan thats the problem
    i guess if uvo wouldnt be from ryodan he would have killed kurapika easy
    and i still dont see a chance for kurapika vs feitan hes fast as hell ,i mean even uvo could dodge the chains just not in the end
    Feitan would burn kurapika to ashes
    Meurem just would need a finger against him
    same for netero

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Kurapika is NOT situationally strong. He's ridiculously strong and his only limitation is his insistence on bring the Spiders to justice.

As Shalunark stated, if Kurapika's goal is to kill he wouldn't need 'unbreakable chains', just 'paralysis chains' or 'slumber chains' would do. You wouldn't need a very complicated condition to pull it off and given the general properties of Emperor Time, there's very little chance he'll lose to anybody 1on1 because he has the strength of every school. A true materialization user would be able to do paralysis chains too, for example, but such a user cannot take a direct hit from Ubogin as a function of the school's weakness, so in the same fight they'd have already died before they can use the chains because Ubogin got the first hit in and that'd normally be enough to immediately end the fight against a true materialization user.

The only reason he has Chain Jail is because he wants to not just defeat the Spiders but capture them alive and bring them to justice.

Feitan's ability is borderline hacks (he's fighting a guy that takes no damage from his Ko, but the retaliation damage he does instantly kills a guy that he can't hurt with Ko) but even that wouldn't really matter because you get caught in the chains and then you're screwed. In fact this is really worse than Uber Gon transformation. The Royal Guards are extremely strong but they're certainly not 'immune to damage' even versus the non Netero characters, so Feitan's tech apparently is more powerful than Uber Gon's transformation as it allowed him to instantly kill someone he can't hurt with Ko, while we can be pretty sure Gon can hurt Pitou at least a little bit with Ko.

19. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Kiba's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Phantron View Post
    Kurapika is NOT situationally strong. He's ridiculously strong and his only limitation is his insistence on bring the Spiders to justice.

As Shalunark stated, if Kurapika's goal is to kill he wouldn't need 'unbreakable chains', just 'paralysis chains' or 'slumber chains' would do. You wouldn't need a very complicated condition to pull it off and given the general properties of Emperor Time, there's very little chance he'll lose to anybody 1on1 because he has the strength of every school. A true materialization user would be able to do paralysis chains too, for example, but such a user cannot take a direct hit from Ubogin as a function of the school's weakness, so in the same fight they'd have already died before they can use the chains because Ubogin got the first hit in and that'd normally be enough to immediately end the fight against a true materialization user.

The only reason he has Chain Jail is because he wants to not just defeat the Spiders but capture them alive and bring them to justice.

Feitan's ability is borderline hacks (he's fighting a guy that takes no damage from his Ko, but the retaliation damage he does instantly kills a guy that he can't hurt with Ko) but even that wouldn't really matter because you get caught in the chains and then you're screwed. In fact this is really worse than Uber Gon transformation. The Royal Guards are extremely strong but they're certainly not 'immune to damage' even versus the non Netero characters, so Feitan's tech apparently is more powerful than Uber Gon's transformation as it allowed him to instantly kill someone he can't hurt with Ko, while we can be pretty sure Gon can hurt Pitou at least a little bit with Ko.
    yeah true ahahaha i am asking me at the moment if
    feitan would hurt himself if he could his technique aswell like a emo XD

New Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast