Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 592 by BadKarma , Gintama 506 (2)
New Reply

Thread: Souls/Afterlife in Hunter x Hunter

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member futurefrog's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Souls/Afterlife in Hunter x Hunter

Now this is something that has been discussed before but upon rereading some of the older chapters I came across interesting references to souls.

During Chrollo's meeting with Neon, he asks her if she believes in an afterlife, she says no. She asks him the same question and he states that he doesnt, but he believes in souls. He goes on to mention that he believes his friends soul lives on (Uvo) and even asks Uvo if he can hear the requiem they dedicate to him.

Skip forward to recent chapters and of course we have Koala-ants beautifully written monologue about the nature of souls and the afterlife. It really makes me interested in what the afterlife in HxH is like.

Now consider this, the World Tree is otherwise known as Yggdrasil otherwise known as the Tree of Life, the gateway of souls. Now this begs yet another question, could the Outside would be where souls end up? Something to ponder.

But getting back to the afterlife there is many other references to it. In particular Netero's final words 'I'll see you in hell... if there is one' this leads me to wonder whether Netero had investigated the afterlife or at the very least pondered upon it. Of course he never truely found an answer but one could argue that Netero has some level of understanding of the afterlife.

There is plenty of other afterlife references in HxH. What do you think about all this?

"If you want to understand someone, find out what makes them angry."

2. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member mrsticky005's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Souls/Afterlife in Hunter x Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by futurefrog View Post
    Now this is something that has been discussed before but upon rereading some of the older chapters I came across interesting references to souls.

During Chrollo's meeting with Neon, he asks her if she believes in an afterlife, she says no. She asks him the same question and he states that he doesnt, but he believes in souls. He goes on to mention that he believes his friends soul lives on (Uvo) and even asks Uvo if he can hear the requiem they dedicate to him.

Skip forward to recent chapters and of course we have Koala-ants beautifully written monologue about the nature of souls and the afterlife. It really makes me interested in what the afterlife in HxH is like.

Now consider this, the World Tree is otherwise known as Yggdrasil otherwise known as the Tree of Life, the gateway of souls. Now this begs yet another question, could the Outside would be where souls end up? Something to ponder.

But getting back to the afterlife there is many other references to it. In particular Netero's final words 'I'll see you in hell... if there is one' this leads me to wonder whether Netero had investigated the afterlife or at the very least pondered upon it. Of course he never truely found an answer but one could argue that Netero has some level of understanding of the afterlife.

There is plenty of other afterlife references in HxH. What do you think about all this?

Either Viz is wrong or the version you read is wrong or you're remembering it wrong...

Because after Chrollo talks about the Galactic Matron not believing in an afterlife Neon says she thinks the same.

Then Chrollo says "I believe we have a soul." He never says anything about NOT believing in afterlife.

I think there will be some kinda afterlife/nen/dark continent connection.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Crude's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    This is pretty interesting. The Dark Continent could possibly function the same way Soul Society does in Bleach, in that the souls of those who perished are reincarnated there and vice-versa.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member futurefrog's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrudeCross View Post
    This is pretty interesting. The Dark Continent could possibly function the same way Soul Society does in Bleach, in that the souls of those who perished are reincarnated there and vice-versa.
    Indeed it is certainly something interesting to ponder. There have been themes of reincarnation in the manga thus far (Kite's reincarnation) and Buddhism is represented (Netero's ability is all about this). So this leads me to think that there is a possibility that when the Koala-ant says the soul is endlessly repeating, does that mean reincarnation or something similar to it exists in the HxH world?

Also when speaking of the Outside world, consider this, what reason would there be to have each worlds separated? Why would they restrict entering to this other world? Who would be strong enough to restrict entry anyway? What if the entire world (both known and outside) are in a constant balance with one another, one dies in the known world and his soul passes on and is reborn in the Outside, one dies in the Outside and he is reborn in the known world. The reason they do not let you cross from one to the other is because it disturbs the balance of the worlds. Look at when the Ant Queen made it to Known world, many died, the balance was tipped. What if there are some powerful beings that exist in order to protect the balance between both worlds and the circle of life? Just something to ponder.

"If you want to understand someone, find out what makes them angry."

6. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

One of the item from GI lets you write a postcard to the underworld and get a response back.

Of course since it was only mentioned in passing it could just be a joke item too, like something that just returns a generic blurb no matter what you wrote.

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Uriel's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think there is such a thing as Soul Society here. Actually I believe it's simply how Togashi puts more realism in the story and how different characters sees it. Some of them believes there is, and some don't. There is even medium able to talk with spirits and that's stuff.

But I think it's part of the diversity Togashi created to reflect our own world. It wont be solved, gladly.
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames
    looks like the entrance to hell
    'Perfect', the captain said.

9. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply