Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 54 Discussion/55 Prediction

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kannazuki's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 54 Discussion/55 Prediction

If you haven't seen the goodies yet, check here: Spoiler Pics and Summaries Thread

24 Hour Spoiler Rule:
    • Please keep all discussion regarding the newest chapter and its content inside the spoiler/chapter discussions until 24 hours have passed after the raw/chapter's release.
    • Please wait 24 hours before using art from new chapters in signatures and avatars.
    • The 24 hour rule will be strictly enforced. This is a courtesy rule. Not every member reads spoilers and not everyone can read new chapters as soon as they are released.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 54 Spoiler Discussion

So it seems based on the pages submitted that
    Spoiler: summary of what's below show

Spoiler: Here's what I got after translating what little was there... show

They could be bluffing about torturing the guy, especially if the margin comment means anything-- but those are added by editors so who knows. As long as the story doesn't outright glorify torture (and I really doubt it will considering Zoë even felt bad about "torturing" titans that don't feel pain anyway, and *bluffing* about killing Nick!), I won't mind either way.

Anyway I'm really interested in the part about humanity being annihilated! So I hope this chapter doesn't spend too much time on comic "relief..."
    Last edited by kannazuki; February 05, 2014 at 03:25 PM. Reason: fixed page attribution error (for now I still think she's saying she isn't flat-chested though)

3. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Teeba's Avatar
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

I kind of feel Isayama was trying to poke fun at fandom with crossdressing Armin....except he just played it straight instead of actually subverting the trope. And then he made the molester discover he likes boys too, which just felt really unnecessary....doesn't sound like a good chapter from the social aspect.

I'm curious about Historia and Eren's conversation, though.

5. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member teiran's Avatar
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kannazuki View Post
    So it seems based on the pages submitted that
    Spoiler: summary of what's below show

Spoiler: Here's what I got after translating what little was there... show
    Spoiler show
    I don't know japanese but i'm procrastinating and running into all sorts of stuff... i don't mean to be an asshole,i'm really grateful.
    Spoiler show
    i'm sorry, i'm just curious about this whole thing (and i'm hoping this chapter isn't sexist shit and demeaning my favourite character after all)

Quote Quote:
    And then he made the molester discover he likes boys too
    could you... explain? i got lost.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Teeba's Avatar
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by teiran View Post

could you... explain? i got lost.
    I meant he [Isayama] made the molester "realize" he's attracted to boys through Armin. I guess its to add to the joke that Armin passes for a girl really easily -- the kidnapper didn't mind as long as he could touch him. Then again we don't have raws or a Chinese scan so who knows how that picture was framed in context.

Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

No, no, I was just wondering where you got it from. There was a page on tumblr with armin talking to the molester. did you get it from that one?
    edit: aha, right. xd i've run into a translation.
    Spoiler show

basically, i'm staying an optimist. And thanks for answering, i appreciate it.
    Last edited by teiran; February 05, 2014 at 01:09 PM. Reason: yes

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Spoiler show
    I don't know japanese but i'm procrastinating and running into all sorts of stuff... i don't mean to be an asshole,i'm really grateful.
    Spoiler show
    i'm sorry, i'm just curious about this whole thing (and i'm hoping this chapter isn't sexist shit and demeaning my favourite character after all)
    Look at the group picture that Historia's "empty" line comes from. Jean is patting Armin's shoulder while Sasha is laughing. For one, I don't think Sasha would laugh at Armin if he was upset about something serious, and second, why would Historia talk about feeling "empty" with the group like that? In context it seems more to me like she was reassuring Armin. She's even using "desho" (which is along the lines of "Don't you think?" or "Right?" as I've got up there) so it feels like she wants to convince someone to agree with her about something. Another alternative could be that she's angry that Armin could be so easily taken for her, but it doesn't strike me as something she should care that much about, being so low on pride herself and all. Either way without context we can't tell for 100% sure but it's hard for me to read that part as something other than her trying to convince Armin/herself/everyone that they're not so "similar."

The only part I feel I might be missing something in the Japanese (as opposed to the chance of interpreting the context incorrectly as on the other one) is the part with Eren and Historia alone, where Eren is speaking. I just don't know why he would start that sentence with "Ore wa" ("As for me...") if he's talking about her...

Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Now I'm even more confused. Nobody's talking in the group picture http://www.imagebam.com/image/d1a154306056627 (???) and the part i'm referring to - でしょ?本当の私はこんなに空っぽで - comes from a page with historia and eren, there's nobody else there...

11. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh I see now, so I mixed up what page that was on when I jotted down the text before translating! Then I'm not sure what they're talking about there. They could even be talking about the mystery woman Eren saw last chapter...

(Note: I would also prefer the chapter not be sexist enough for Armin to be upset about being mistaken for a girl but my expectations are pretty low on this kind of thing, even for Isayama.)
    Last edited by kannazuki; February 05, 2014 at 02:33 PM.

Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

No, I'm sorry if I was being a bit of an asshole about it.

Well, you are probably right... but I want it to be shown as a bunch of teenagers being goofballs and trying to cheer one up with teasing, not sexism. Since #53 I've become alert (sorry!) about it. Especially as before the previous release I thought I've fallen in love with a feminist manga but now i'm not so convinced anymore, ughh...
    Last edited by teiran; February 05, 2014 at 02:45 PM. Reason: i've changed my mind ;p

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member ForMotherRussia's Avatar
    Country
    Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

I dunno if this is just my imagination, but in the picture with torturing devices Levi's apron looks covered in blood.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

@teiran: This series is still better than most shounen for its portrayal of women though.

Quote Originally Posted by ForMotherRussia View Post
    I dunno if this is just my imagination, but in the picture with torturing devices Levi's apron looks covered in blood.
    I don't think that's just your imagination.

BTW instead of transcribing then translating, I went ahead and translated the molester scene that just got added to the other thread. I just so happened to also find it on tumblr before this and someone there is pretty much correct about what it says if I'm understanding right. And as far as I can tell it's only the very last line I have anything to be uncertain about:

Creep: I heard, you know…
    Armin: Huh?
    Creep: You're… really… a boy aren't ya? It's your fault… I… (pant)
    even though I was normal… Because of you, it's gotten bad. (pant)
    Do something already!
    Jean: Don't worry Armin… I'll take care of him.
    Last edited by kannazuki; February 05, 2014 at 03:53 PM. Reason: changed the last line to "take care of him" so it can be read as fighting words... or not

16. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Probably break his face, judging by the picture.

@kannazuki: yeah, but i kinda hoped this one will be on fma level. naive of me but, heck, i'm an optimist~

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member PiggyBank's Avatar
    Country
    Finland
    Post Thanks / Like

Levi in bloodied apron with torture devices cracked me up. Torture does not faze him, but getting his clothes dirty??? Oh the horror!!!
    Evil mushroom demons - coming to attack a church near you!

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Probably break his face, judging by the picture.
    Actually I changed it to "take care of him," which can be read either way.

Quote Originally Posted by PiggyBank View Post
    Levi in bloodied apron with torture devices cracked me up. Torture does not faze him, but getting his clothes dirty??? Oh the horror!!!
    I hope they have bleach in their world...

New Reply
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast