Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 600 (2)

View Poll Results: The Ape Titan is...

Voters
110. You may not vote on this poll
  • ...human-based.

64 58.18%
  • ...a pure titan.

46 41.82%
New Reply
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ape Titan (aka Big Foot)

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kannazuki's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Ape Titan (aka Big Foot)

On Mangafox the entire chapter loads for those of us who have the All Manga Reader (AMR) extension in Chrome. That's why I suggested Mangabird. I even tested one of your links to be sure and it went to page 1 and started loading the whole chapter. Please use Mangabird if you can. If I remember another non-AMR-compatible site, I'll point it out.

Back to the topic, I'm sure there was a time when his arm was shown to be in a sling, but unfortunately I can't remember the chapter and there's no list of chapters he appears in in the wiki unfortunately. The point is that even as late as 37, Levi is not in condition to be out there endangering himself (except with gun in hand I suppose). Nothing matches between the ape and him except for not liking blood on their hands which is a really tenuous connection as who enjoys that kind of thing? I don't think there's a single character in the series who does, unless we're talking mindless titans.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Huesoman's Avatar
    Country
    Peru
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I didn't know about that AMR extension, I use firefox, sorry about that, I will use mangabird from now on . Back on topic, I think Levi is not ape titan also, but I reread the chapters after he fought the female type titan and didn't find a picture of his arm in a sling, but again maybe I missed something. I agree he is injured and in no conditions to fight..

P.S: I will change the links in the thread "parallel realities" to mangabird links, please give it a try .

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

ape titan is eren's father

Country
    Peru
    Post Thanks / Like

Confused Re: The Ape Titan (aka Big Foot)

Quote Originally Posted by k2kairus View Post
    ape titan is eren's father
    Why do you think so?

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I think so, because of looks (facial features are similar; Grisha's hair and beard are reminiscent of the titan's head & body fur) and personality (inquisitive, scientific mind); which seem to match. Only thing that directly contradicts the theory is that Grisha Yeager should know about 3d gear and the blades used to cut into titans' weak spots. We need more info before we can truly start to decide if that titan is either Grisha or someone we know, however.

*edit*

sorry, I'm having connection probs apparently...

Country
    Peru
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think the ape is Eren's father, I mean if that would be the case he could have take Eren out of the wall without to much trouble, aside from the 3D gear issue, but it is truth he is Grisha's lookalike . To change things a little bit, I think he isn't from Reyner's hometown, as far as now he is the most mysterious character in the series, even the titan inside the wall looks for familiar than him.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted gnut's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I still believe he was released 5yrs ago when the wall was first breached...that would explain why he knows nothing of the 3Dgear.because,he was sealed away for over 100yrs...

Country
    Peru
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, The hole made by the colossal titan didn't contain anything besides concrete, maybe some years later Reyner's people made more holes in wall Maria and found the ape? I don't think so mainly because it is like Reyner doesn't know the ape titan, but could be true, who knows.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

As crazy as i t may seem, I also agree with this theory. Something about the Ape Titan tells me it is Grisha. Even as he lived near the wall, and probably personally knew people like Hannes, that doesn't mean he knows exactly what the 3DMG looks like or works. Plus, who knows if even as sentient Titan, some part of his mind is not able to understand or remember minor details of human life.

Quote Originally Posted by vanihba2000 View Post
    The ape-titan is not as mysterious as it looks. It is just another one of those Warriors(human shifter) to check out the situation since R&B and Annie had failed in their missions after the 5 years, and Annie had been captured. It was also somewhat of a signal that R&B should retreat. The existence of Titan-shifters among humans was not expected, hence they needed to reformulate their plans.

My theory is that there are different types of serums that induce different effects on humans :
    1) Normal serum : Normal mindless Titans
    2) Armor serum : Armored Titan
    3) Colossal Serum : for Colossal Titan
    4) Grisha's Serum : Eren's and Annie's forms. (I am not implying Grisha gave the serum to Annie, just that the serum were same)
    5) Nocturnal Serum : For nocturnal mindless titans
    6) Hairy Ape Serum : For ape Titan

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member ImmortalZodd's Avatar
    Country
    Croatia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bandreus View Post
    To be entirelly honest, R&B never once show any sign of worry or apprehension about Annie being captured. I always found this to be pretty interesting, although I guess this might be because of them simply not liking her much in the first place.
    They don't know that Annie was captured, remember? The whole breach arc starts 2 days before the day Annie was captured.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member badluckartist's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

It's a pure titan that created the encampment of the walls by ordering those titans to form concentric circles and secrete their hardening sap. I wouldn't doubt it if he's an extraterrestrial/interdimensional scientist, and the walls are simply a cage to keep his 'mice' in. Or it's just a farm to keep up the population of humans for his thralled titans. Or worse. Or all of the above. The way he examines Mike and the 3D gear, it's like he's done a century-long experiment on humanity just to see what they can come up with. I like that curiosity seems to be a big trait for it. That could explain why Reiner/Bernholdt consider the people within the walls to be of less importance: they only exist at the behest of the ape titan, who the Wall Cult calls 'God'. The wall population's existence can only benefit the ape titan, unless Reiner/Bernholdt/Annie can smuggle out the 3D maneuver technology and replicate it at their hometown. They talk like they don't even know what their true goal is, though.

...which brings me to my next point: the ape titan also seems capable of some sort of memory tampering on titans that are susceptible: didn't Ymir ask Reiner and Bernholdt about the beast titan (since they were staring at it), to which they respond with no recollection? I don't think it's just 'super-humanly intelligent/super-titanically powerful'; it's very existence seems to do something weird to titans, with only the most mindless (freshly transformed?) titans seeming mentally unscathed by its presence.

In this scenario, Grisha would be a human who is part of a (the?) group outside the walls that collected a sample of the ape titan and of course used it to construct a titan transformation serum. Wonder if it's the same place Reiner/Bernholdt/Annie are from. Dunno why people envision him as some sort of Gendo Ikari chessmaster... he was genuinely in mourning over leaving his family, and at whatever dilemma he was facing when he left the family.

Country
    Peru
    Post Thanks / Like

I think he isn't from Reyner's hometown nor inside the walls too, but I wouldn't go as far as calling him an extraterrestrial scientist . Maybe he works for another faction, a third faction I mean, aside from reyner faction and the walliest. About the world inside the walls being a farm, there are people that think so and they quote Eren talking about humanity inside the walls acting like cattle or something like that in the first chapter, so there may be some truth in that statement. Maybe as you say the cult of the wall works for the ape (or for ape's people) and they keep people inside walls for purposes so far unknown to us? Maybe Reyner & co are some kind of rebels that know the truth and are looking a "coordinate" inside the walls to gain an adventage for a future battle against ape's people? Well, for now all we can do is speculate but maybe the upcoming chapter will shed some light on the matter. I really would like to see this manga comes out bi-weekly instead of monthly

---------- Post added August 16, 2013 at 07:21 PM ---------- Previous post was August 06, 2013 at 06:01 PM ----------

In light of new hypothesis brought in this forum I decided to change my stance about SnK world, now I think the ape titan is someone that works for the walliest (maybe the other way around?) so there are just 2 factions: warriors and walliest. People inside the walls are the cattle for colossal titans (as thanapon explained here: http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showth...-need-Historia), waiting to awake to feed and gain humanity back. Warriors want to eliminate humanity inside the walls so colossals have no food, but this will not extinct humanity because there are other towns (like reiner's hometown) outside the walls, so warriors are antiheros that will sacrifice "few" lives for the sake of the majority of humanity (that reside outside the walls). Now about the ape, this is a new hipothesis so give it a chance, do not panic, repeat, do not panic... the ape went to Wall Rose in a recon mission, but not to gather information about his enemy's power, he wanted to test his ally's power in case they need help in the future. If the breach of Wall Rose happened after Annie's capture (unlikely as it seems), then he went to help his allies. Now, if we disregard Grisha as the ape it culd be someone that know the same as him but live outside the wall, that could explain his lack of knowledge. That was all, just another speculation.
    Last edited by Huesoman; August 06, 2013 at 06:04 PM.
    "Do you really think...this world has a future?"

Country
    The Wall
    Post Thanks / Like

It may not be Grisha if he was already eaten by Eren's titan form upon injecting the titan serum into him, and poor Eren wouldn't have remembered that he killed his own father back then. If this did happen perhaps Grisha isn't that genius after all; he would have been able to devise a friendly-titan-serum that would have saved himself from being eaten by Eren. Then again things aren't that simple

Ah onto the ape titan. I also believe it's possible that Grisha (if he's still alive) or some other scientist/person could be the ape titan. Perhaps he had some trouble experimenting and hadn't expect to transform into some ancient ape form instead - transforming "backwards" into a predecessor of man which might explain how clueless he was about the 3DMG or what language humans speak. But what's strange is that he still knows how to speak this modern human language (which I assume can only be learnt/acquired but there are other ways too). So maybe he didn't have any trouble at all and meant to pilot an human-in-ape titan, so he knew how to speak the human language... but if there is indeed a human inside he seems a little aloof and out of it/out of times. If Grisha isn't the mastermind maybe he was captured and set to sleep for many years in this ancient ape form.

The ape titan form doesn't appear to be as wrathful as the colossal/armoured/female/wolf type etc but maybe acting all unassuming and harmless is another tactic on its own. Mike was caught off guard and for a second I'd thought the ape titan was a good one, but really... I don't know what's going on :') Maybe the ape titan was originally an ape/animal who had been hibernating for many years and was somehow captured by a group of scientists and injected with a mix of humanizing (ability to process, speak human language, attack accuracy - that boulder throwing was no joke; also some ability to control the other little titans although he had to repeat himself a few times before they would listen haha) and titanizing (at least in terms of size and strength) serum. They might have more monkeys in the lab but they'll wait for this ape titan to return to HQ with new information, although they would obviously already know about the 3DMG. lol I need to re-read everything again just random baseless speculation here soz :P
    Last edited by doshikun; August 18, 2013 at 10:39 AM.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know what day you joined, but welcome to the forums, doshikun.

There are a lot of questions still to be answered about the ape titan. The only speculation on the ape titan I'm clinging to right now is that he is probably based off of Ymir from Norse mythology, since he fits the description and is heavily implied to have transformed people into titans. I do think his appearance and behaviour resembles that of Grisha Yeager but I wouldn't be surprised if Eren truly had eaten Grisha as well. (I don't mind exploring every option out there, and only eliminating them once canon has either outright proven them untrue, or they have dropped to a fairly low threshold of likeliness.)

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted gnut's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I think if it is grisha....he would know very well what 3D gear is

New Reply
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast