Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/15/14 - 9/21/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2)

View Poll Results: How will Kyouraku fare as the Captain Commander?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • He will live up to the eye-patch and be awesome

9 52.94%
  • He will still be CC by the end of the arc (alive)

2 11.76%
  • Everybody is a dropoff after Shigekuni Yamamoto

1 5.88%
  • He will get defeated by Bach

2 11.76%
  • He will team up with Ukitake to face Bach

1 5.88%
  • He will face the professor SR again and win

1 5.88%
  • Other (Mention)

1 5.88%
New Reply
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: How will Kyouraku fare as the Captain Commander?

The Original 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member thornofcarrion's Avatar
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Who will be the next Captain Commander?

Some of the recent posts are not visible. The reason being:

24 Hour Spoiler Rule:
    • Please keep all discussion regarding the newest chapter and its content inside the spoiler/chapter discussions until 24 hours have passed after the raw/chapter's release.
    • Please wait 24 hours before using art from new chapters in signatures and avatars.
    • The 24 hour rule will be strictly enforced. This is a courtesy rule. Not every member reads spoilers and not everyone can read new chapters as soon as they are released.

Please, follow the 24 Hours rule. The posts will be made visible again after the lapse of 24 Hours.

Thanks.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member StarkPoseidon's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bajan4eva1 View Post
    Yeah he was my second pick initially. I had Ukitake as my #1 ahead of him but after the depressed look on Ukitake's face today and no wise words I gotta change up the order.

1) Shunsui
    2) Ukitake
    3) Unohana
    I'd reverse that order a bit:

1) Unohana
    2) Shunsui
    3) Ukitake

4) I know this is a wild long shot and he doesn't seem to be that powerful but there's something about Urahara that makes me think that if he didn't hold back, he'd be a match the top 3. I get the feeling that his Bankai is seriously boss...

Banned 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by StarkPoseidon View Post
    4) I know this is a wild long shot and he doesn't seem to be that powerful but there's something about Urahara that makes me think that if he didn't hold back, he'd be a match the top 3. I get the feeling that his Bankai is seriously boss...
    Especially after http://www.mangareader.net/94-51305-...apter-402.html and http://www.mangareader.net/94-51581-...apter-403.html

Without using his sword he would kill pre-Hogyoku Aizen. But still, senior captains are said to be stronger with their Bankai's than pre-Hogyoku Aizen.
    Last edited by Duniak; November 12, 2012 at 11:42 AM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member NoOneInParticular's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Duniak View Post
    Especially after http://www.mangareader.net/94-51305-...apter-402.html and http://www.mangareader.net/94-51581-...apter-403.html

Without using his sword he would kill pre-Hogyoku Aizen. But still, senior captains are said to be stronger with their Bankai's than pre-Hogyoku Aizen.
    That's assuming pre-Hogyoku Aizen would be stupid enough to stand there and let Urahara launch attack after attack, which both he AND Urahara say he wouldn't. Still, Urahara's obviously a very dangerous guy when he wants to be. It seems that you'd have to be a hell of a lot stronger than him to take him on and win without being careful and engaging you brain. He's obviously no slouch with Kido, but there are several other Captains who can say the same.

Nah, Urahara doesn't strike me as CC material. Heading the research and development institute is where he would belong if he were still in the Gotei 13. He's a smart guy and a capable leader, but I don't think he would ever be able or even willing to devote his attention to anything besides his scientific work. Doing all that AND managing a squad plus the rest of SS is probably more than even he can handle.

Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NoOneInParticular View Post
    That's assuming pre-Hogyoku Aizen would be stupid enough to stand there and let Urahara launch attack after attack, which both he AND Urahara say he wouldn't. Still, Urahara's obviously a very dangerous guy when he wants to be. It seems that you'd have to be a hell of a lot stronger than him to take him on and win without being careful and engaging you brain. He's obviously no slouch with Kido, but there are several other Captains who can say the same.
    Still, Aizen after subjugation was few times stronger and faster. While being his old self, he would be more likely outsmarted. That time, Urahara used portable Gigai to cast a Bakudou faster than he can react. I don't think Aizen before Hogyoku would break free out of like... 4 Kidos. Urahara was talking about him not breaking free from them with his insane power. But when he didn't have that power, he wouldn't have been able to break free and escape that Kido.

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe. Pre-Hogyoku Aizen would be a lot more cautious and tactical, but even he (narcissistic as he is) concedes that Urahara is the greater intellectual between them, so perhaps he would be able to get one up on Aizen. So I agree that Urahara can be a very tricky guy to beat, but this is more to do with tactics and preparation than actual power. I don't know if power surpassing the other Captains is actually a requirement for the role of CC, but if it is, I don't think Urahara quite cuts it.

Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NoOneInParticular View Post
    Maybe. Pre-Hogyoku Aizen would be a lot more cautious and tactical, but even he (narcissistic as he is) concedes that Urahara is the greater intellectual between them, so perhaps he would be able to get one up on Aizen. So I agree that Urahara can be a very tricky guy to beat, but this is more to do with tactics and preparation than actual power. I don't know if power surpassing the other Captains is actually a requirement for the role of CC, but if it is, I don't think Urahara quite cuts it.
    His Kidos are more powerful than any captain's attack. :P Soifon's Bankai has similar power and looks.

But he can't be CC. xD He was exiled and banned from entering SS. It's still mystery for me how he entered SS.

http://www.mangareader.net/94-524-16...hapter-70.html
    Last edited by Duniak; November 12, 2012 at 03:15 PM.

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, we haven't really seen many instances of the Captains actually using Kido as a primary attack, so there's no way of knowing who's better or worse at it than Urahara, though I would think he's better than most.

I guess his ban from SS was lifted when it transpired that Aizen was behind the hollowfication experiments that Urahara was found guilty of. But yeah, whether or not Urahara is capable of becoming CC (I don't think he is) is a moot point, because he's no longer a member of the Gotei 13.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Notak's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty convinced that Unohana, Kyoraku, or someone from the Royal Guard will be the CC.
    I cannot see anyone else do it.

(imagine Wonderweiss as CC)

Anyway it would be like the Hokage situation in Naruto. Old strong man dies, his long time female healer beast subordinate takes over.

Unless of course, Kyoraku's bankai is so damn powerful that it alone can make him a damn good CC candidate.
    Last edited by Notak; November 13, 2012 at 10:47 AM.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I would still argue all of the elder captains are as of yet plain unfit for the role. All kyoraku did was keep himself level headed while the other captains bickered. Still, soifon did snap and cursed at kyoraku in the end. Can anyone imagine soifon snapping and cursing at yamamoto himself? Its plain impossible and if she ever did she'd end up with half the 4th squad scrubbing her remains from the floor and the other half trying to put them back together. More so, the squads realistically need someone against whom juhabach would actually break a sweat against. That is certainly not kyoraku, the guy would get fodderized. Yamamoto effectively represented by himself a significant portion of the entire might of the gotei 13 (being stronger than all other captains together and all that). That is not a role which anyone there has the sheer strength to fill. The only shinigami we have seen who could ever actually fulfill that role is aizen and even then he would need some serious redemption before he can even be considered for the role at all. At the moment the most coherent alternative would be that there is a geezer among the royals (it has to be a geezer, someone young would be unlikely to have had the sheer amount of time to get strength) who can fill the overwhelming gap left behind by yamamoto.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Firebird0ne's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I still say that Unohana is the most probable. And I think that Yamamoto made use of the fact that she is a healer to help hide whatever bankai she has. It makes sense of the fact that while showing us that she has the innate ability to frighten people into submission without losing her smile, Kubo has carefully kept her out of the limelight, only giving hints here and there. The biggest hint, though, was the CC's command to stay in the building. It suggests that she is important to the continuation of the Gotei 13...more so than the other captains, all of whom were sent out and put at risk. All that's left is to wait and see what happens when she goes into battle, as Kubo said that she will. I expect her to knock our socks off. Can't wait to read that!

12. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Bajan4eva1's Avatar
    Country
    Barbados
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    I would still argue all of the elder captains are as of yet plain unfit for the role. All kyoraku did was keep himself level headed while the other captains bickered. Still, soifon did snap and cursed at kyoraku in the end. Can anyone imagine soifon snapping and cursing at yamamoto himself? Its plain impossible and if she ever did she'd end up with half the 4th squad scrubbing her remains from the floor and the other half trying to put them back together. More so, the squads realistically need someone against whom juhabach would actually break a sweat against. That is certainly not kyoraku, the guy would get fodderized. Yamamoto effectively represented by himself a significant portion of the entire might of the gotei 13 (being stronger than all other captains together and all that). That is not a role which anyone there has the sheer strength to fill. The only shinigami we have seen who could ever actually fulfill that role is aizen and even then he would need some serious redemption before he can even be considered for the role at all. At the moment the most coherent alternative would be that there is a geezer among the royals (it has to be a geezer, someone young would be unlikely to have had the sheer amount of time to get strength) who can fill the overwhelming gap left behind by yamamoto.
    I agree with this partially. It's true that currently Shunsui would get owned by Bach, and especially since he was having a hard time with that SR. But, I think that if he were made CC he would try to grow into the role in both power and knowledge. i akin it to a position at work. Typically you don't learn all you need to then accept a position, you accept the position knowing the basics and then learn as you go. It would be awesome to see Yama-ji's student, one who he trained personally, avenging him. I wouldn't want to see him do it alone though, cuz like you said Yama was stronger than the other captains combined. But i would like to see him give the final blow after a strategic battle with all the captains vs. Bach (LOL I'm a dreamer sorry).

As for Soifon (sometimes I can't stand her) I think she respects titles and not people. Look at how she treated poor Urahara in TBTP. Doubt she did that after he was made captain. Shunsui probably wouldn't get any respect from her until he was made CC. I agreee with the Aizen part, but that to me would be desperation more than anything. Like you said it'll probably be some old powerful geezer from the but I'm hoping for Shunsui, Ukitake, then Unohana.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Hakuteiken's Avatar
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with this partially. It's true that currently Shunsui would get owned by Bach, and especially since he was having a hard time with that SR. But, I think that if he were made CC he would try to grow into the role in both power and knowledge. i akin it to a position at work. Typically you don't learn all you need to then accept a position, you accept the position knowing the basics and then learn as you go. It would be awesome to see Yama-ji's student, one who he trained personally, avenging him. I wouldn't want to see him do it alone though, cuz like you said Yama was stronger than the other captains combined. But i would like to see him give the final blow after a strategic battle with all the captains vs. Bach (LOL I'm a dreamer sorry).

As for Soifon (sometimes I can't stand her) I think she respects titles and not people. Look at how she treated poor Urahara in TBTP. Doubt she did that after he was made captain. Shunsui probably wouldn't get any respect from her until he was made CC. I agreee with the Aizen part, but that to me would be desperation more than anything. Like you said it'll probably be some old powerful geezer from the but I'm hoping for Shunsui, Ukitake, then Unohana.
    Kyouraku and Ukitake to confront Bach in a battle would be great. Let Ichigo fight Haschwald, who also looks way too powerful for Ichigo to handle at the moment, too. So, it would come down to the battles of old and new generations respectively, although Kyouraku and Ukitake aren't Bach's peers by age.

And apart from Yoruichi, Soifon seemingly never had any bonds with any other Shinigami to begin with. But it's also quite true that she isn't going to be able to yell at someone that easily, let him be someone as strong as Kyouraku (=

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Wel, the issue there would be that kyoraku is barely 1000 years old or so apparently. I would argue that as far as knowledge goes kyoraku fits the role, the sole and unavoidable issue is power. Yamamoto was at least 3000 or 4000 years old(he seemed middle aged 2000 years ago when chojiro was young) and it took him all that time to get the strength he had when he died. Heck, his bankai seemed to have improved until the very day he died. Kyoraku does not have 3000 years to grow into the power he would need to rule the gotei 13, he has somewhere between a few days and maybe a couple of months depending on how the story moves.

We never saw any interaction between urahara and soifon in TBPA as far as I recall. She just didn't seem to like him too much during the maggots den bit and hachi seemed to think she would have trouble with the vizards relationship to urahara.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Notak's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Unohana is still a wildcard. She's been kept pretty secret so far and was around even before Shunsui and Ukitake. Therefore, in terms of age and experience (and maybe even strength) she really is second to Yama. I don't think she's like godly or anything, but I think she's going to be pretty damn kickass.

All three of the seniors could potentially replace Yama. Just like how when Kaien Shiba died, two officers took his place.
    The three seniors did co-operate in the anime filler arc with the Mod Souls/Reigai. Granted they were perfect clones of them and not actuall them, but all three of them had some excellent teamwork going on against Yama.
    Filler or not, it's still a cool idea for Gotei 13 teamwork.

17. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast