Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Bleach 576 by cnet128
New Reply
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Minato the legendary hokage, did he fail in so many ways?

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Norway
    Post Thanks / Like

Minato the legendary hokage, did he fail in so many ways?

Lets start this off by saying that for me Minato is one of my favorite characters, he's probably my top 3 in whole of Naruto! Based on his skills and the person he was.

But after reading some chapters again, I just dont understand some of the choices he made.

Lets start with Kakashi Gaiden!
    He sends his team into a hell of a mission! Which is fine, because he has faith in them.
    But seeing how Kakashi and Obito did not work well together. He still insisted that they were to complete the mission without him! He went on to fight other probably more important battles which is understandable. With his flying thunder god technique, I am positive that he could have assisted his students much more than he did. He even saw the trouble they had on encountering the first "scout" ninja which kakashi almost died. And still they were to go deeper and probably face even more stronger ones.

Then the latest chapter, he has already lost Obito. And for some reason, he still sends Kakashi and Rin on a difficult mission. All alone. I would have thought by this time, he would have taken more precautions after already loosing one member of your team. Knowing Rin's skill level. But again he went on other missions, and "abandoning his team"

Now for Naruto's birth!
    If it was really obito who was fighting him. He should somewhat have sensed it! His voice anything. And for sacrificing himself! For me it seems unnecessary to do that. He could have sealed the nine tails in him or naruto without dying. It seems as if he knew he failed to save Kushina. He had to sacrifice himself.

Conclusion:
    So if Minato had, been with his team or did not send them on that dangerous mission in the war. Obito would never become Tobi. Thus Kushina would have survived and Naruto would have had parents.

Nr.2 If he had been there when Rin died, he still could have redeemed himself, and got Obito back. And still Kushina would have survived, there would be no Tobi and Naruto would have had parents!

What do you guys think?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Exodi's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Minato the legendary hokage, did he fail in so many ways?

About Kakashi Gaiden and the lastest chapter:

Kakashi had just become a jounin, if I recall correctly. Meaning he was technically the leader, according to him. Kakashi practically begged Minato to let him run the show. Same goes for now. Although, having a third member other than Minato might have helped some.

About Naruto's birth:
    Without spoiling the latest chapter.....As we learn more and more about the connection between Obito, Zetsu, and Madara, it probably wouldn't have made sense for Minato to figure out it was Obito. Obito was not supposed to be alive, nor was he supposed to be able to phase through things, nor should he have been attacking Minato or known how to control the Kyuubi. Madara, in every way, was a more reasonable conclusion for Minato to make.

As far as that goes, we still need the complete story.

But basically, yes. If things occurred differently in the past, then things would be different now. Though, even that's only an assumption.

3. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

It's not Minatos fault. Minato wasn't the commander in chief. He did not assign people to missions. People do die in wars. Kakashi was a jouunin, so it was natural for him to lead a squad. There's no reason for Minato to stick his nose in such things. Apart from that he surely had his own missions.
    And: As we don't know yet what the latest chapter actually means, meaning why Rin died (lets put it that way), we can't even judge that Kakashi and Rin were on a dangerous mission whatsoever. The war could've already ended as the battle of the Kannabi Bridge was the last one of the third war...
    I don't think you can blame Minato...

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

What if Rin was a mole all along planted to steal a sharingan??

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member number12michael's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KonohaNin View Post
    What if Rin was a mole all along planted to steal a sharingan??
    if so then why would she put obitos into kakashi?
    "Keep Eating Shit For The Rest Of Your Life " - 愛憎のロクサーヌ- Roxanne of Love and Hate

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Fox666's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

What could she do, walk away after removing it from Obito?
    Quote Originally Posted by IChallengeYou! View Post
    TOBI IS OBITO

did you say something about timelines?! naruto ate it NOM NOM NOM IT'S GONE.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member marshall313's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

The legendary hokage, minato, just failed to protect kushina. With that, he sacrificed his life for using the shiki just to make kushina see his grown up son. In fact, minato doesn't really need to die in that situation. He can ask kushina to sealed the kyubi to naruto or minato himself can do that without sacrificing himself. If he knew the sealing jutsu of the uzumaki clan for the kyubi. But i think kushina can do that if they wants to.
    No matter how POWERFUL/STRONG you are. If you cannot CATCH your Enemy, all your POWER/STRENGTH is no more useful then a squirt gun. And if you cannot possibly TRACK/REACT to your enemies attacks to defend yourself, then how can you possibly stop him from DEFEATING you at will?

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Fire Nation
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deni2k View Post
    Lets start with Kakashi Gaiden!
    He sends his team into a hell of a mission! Which is fine, because he has faith in them.
    But seeing how Kakashi and Obito did not work well together. He still insisted that they were to complete the mission without him! He went on to fight other probably more important battles which is understandable. With his flying thunder god technique, I am positive that he could have assisted his students much more than he did. He even saw the trouble they had on encountering the first "scout" ninja which kakashi almost died. And still they were to go deeper and probably face even more stronger ones.
    That is not his fault. He assumed Kakashi and Obito would be able to work together out of necessity. It's like how despite the fights and arguments, Sasuke and Naruto still worked together when they had to.

The trouble that Kakashi had against the scout Iwa was due to chidori, a jutsu Kakashi didn't use against an enemy before. Apart from that, Kakashi did a great job, and even Minato acknowledges it.

Plus, would Minato have had a choice? He can't keep teleporting back and forth because not would that only be a danger to his team, but it'd hurt Kakashi, Rin, and Obito in the long run because they'd rely on him to help. He'd also be ordered to let Kakashi go on his own mission with the team considering Kakashi's a jounin, and Minato's role was more important in other places.

Quote Quote:
    Then the latest chapter, he has already lost Obito. And for some reason, he still sends Kakashi and Rin on a difficult mission. All alone. I would have thought by this time, he would have taken more precautions after already loosing one member of your team. Knowing Rin's skill level. But again he went on other missions, and "abandoning his team"
    We don't know if that's difficult, or whether Minato sent them on the mission, but he probably didn't have a choice. Plus, I doubt he'd send Kakashi and Rin on a dangerous mission if he didn't think they could handle it. Once again, by not sending them on difficult missions he'd actually be blocking their growth and stunting their development.

Quote Quote:
    Now for Naruto's birth!
    If it was really obito who was fighting him. He should somewhat have sensed it! His voice anything. And for sacrificing himself! For me it seems unnecessary to do that. He could have sealed the nine tails in him or naruto without dying. It seems as if he knew he failed to save Kushina. He had to sacrifice himself.
    How would he sense it was Obito if he wasn't given a chance to sense? Considering just how different Tobi was from Obito, it's understandable Minato had no idea Tobi was Obito.

He sacrificed himself for Kushina's sake.

Minato isn't a god, he's overrated by his fans. He's not gonna bail Kakashi or his team out of trouble anytime, especially when kakashi's the leader. That's bad way to teach his team and Minato could endanger a mission, whether his own or Kakashi's. I don't think Minato has done anything wrong.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member chilibun's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Legendary??? he had the shortest kage reign and accomplished less than any other hokage! Hashirama is LEGENDARY! Even Sarutobi, who I think is a shitty leader, is way more accomplished and legendary than Minato.

With that said, Minato was not running the show during the gaiden arc and they are at WAR. He and his team are given orders, and as so followed them. They needed Minato's assistance in the front line, so he left his squad. During the Kyuubi attack, he also could not seal the Kyuubi without dying. Death god seal requires the sacrifice of the user's soul. The rest of your quibbles are minor and are attributed to just w/e Kishi needed to move his plot.
    Last edited by chilibun; October 02, 2012 at 10:58 PM.

MangaHelper MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Rikudou King's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Concerning Kakashi being sent on missions, unless he was Hokage at the time, that wouldn't be Minato's fault. Sarutobi would have been the one to give that order. Regardless, I don't think Kakashi did that bad. He simply ran into unexpected trouble during the gaiden and presumably fell into Madara's manipulation in the current situation.

I do agree that Minato should have sensed who Obito was due to chakra and/or voice. And his sacrifice does seem unnecessary at this point, for all the good Naruto is doing. Instead of giving a mysterious mastermind 10+ years to do as he liked, Minato should have allowed Kushina to handle the Kyuubi and then marshal the entire village after said mastermind. At the very least, he should have informed Sarutobi and the others about what had really gone down, which would have helped with the Uchiha situation and would have allowed them to start preparing Naruto for his future role.

MH's Best Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Does it make sense for a guy like Sarutobi or Minato to send a young Kakashi and Rin out into some precarious situation without backing them up themselves or at least putting somebody else strong out there with them? No.

But lots of things about the last generation don't make sense.

Did it fit Jiraiya's character to basically abandon Minato's son for all those year? No.
    Did it fit Tsunade's character to send a group of rookies after Sasuke when he defected? No
    Did it fit Kakashi's character to let Naruto deal with Sasuke instead of taking care of it himself? No.

The reality is that sometimes Kishimoto writes stuff that doesn't entirely make sense (take this entire war arc for example). When he needs something to happen it happens, whether or not it makes any sense for other characters to act in a way that would allow it too.

Sometimes the older generation are just victims of narrative necessity.
    Last edited by Jammin; October 03, 2012 at 12:18 PM.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for RPG fans]
    Black Haze [Esp. for Fairy Tail fans]
    Geukji High [Esp. for Kenichi fans.]
    Divine Bells [Esp. for Action/Comedy fans]
    Dragons Rioting [Esp. for Ecchi fans]

13. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 5 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Uchiha_Blood's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chilibun View Post
    Legendary??? he had the shortest kage reign and accomplished less than any other hokage! Hashirama is LEGENDARY! Even Sarutobi, who I think is a shitty leader, is way more accomplished and legendary than Minato.
    Considering he gave Kyuubi to Naruto, the ninja Jesus, Yondaime accomplished a lot more than any other Hokage

As for the issue of Yondaime's mistakes, I'm gonna address only the Obito one, since the others are pretty much covered by everyone else:

in light of recent chapters, you can't expect for Obito to be recognised, since the kid surely wore a Zetsu suit when he faced Yondaime ( evidenced by the fact that his left arm, the intact one, still leaked Zetsu goo when hit and it fell off ).
    Also, as the Spiral Zetsu said, by combining Senju and Uchiha powers Obito got a giant power up, managing to do things ( taming the Kyuubi with a 3 tomoe Sharingan for example ) that only a legend like Madara could do.
    Also Obito was dead, and Yondaime didn't know that he obtained the Mangekyo nor that his Mangekyo was a S/T jutsu, so the chances for him to recognise Obito were slim to none.

The only mistake I see him doing is sealing half the Kyuubi in him and sacrificing his life to seal the other half, he could've just sealed the entire Kyuubi in Naruto, seal a part of Kushina's chakra in him and just be there, as a Hokage and a parent.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
    Did it fit Jiraiya's character to basically abandoned Minato's son for all those year? No.
    Did it fit Tsunade's character to send a group of rookies after Sasuke when he defected? No
    Did it fit Kakashi's character to let Naruto deal with Sasuke instead of taking care of it himself? No.
    I think Tsunades intentions were clear: There simply wasn't someone else to send after Sasuke. Shikamaru was the best she could get. The jounin were away from the village. Okay she could've gone herself, but thats not Hokage style either with the village being weakened.
    But I agree on the other things - esp. Jiraiya...

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Uchiha_Blood's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lighty View Post
    I think Tsunades intentions were clear: There simply wasn't someone else to send after Sasuke. Shikamaru was the best she could get. The jounin were away from the village. Okay she could've gone herself, but thats not Hokage style either with the village being weakened.
    But I agree on the other things - esp. Jiraiya...
    More than a Tsunade error, that was a Kakashi error:
    your students try to kill each other, you give the most unstable one a pretty speech and then you stop giving a fuck, when you know Orochimaru survived and was likely to attempt to take him?
    Use summons to guard him , keep Jiraiya alert ( he had to watch Naruto anyway ), it was pretty easy.

Plot will remain plot, say Jiraiya went with them, he would solo the sound four and take Sasuke back in half an hour

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted xXan's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

@deni2k

Abou the Gainden. Kakashi was the commander from that point:
    http://www.narutobase.net/manga/Naruto/239/14
    Kakashi was leading there:
    http://www.narutobase.net/manga/Naruto/240/2
    It was the rules:
    http://www.narutobase.net/manga/Naruto/240/3

Curently with Rin and Kakashi we have NO idea why they are there and what is happening. The entire thing could be a lie, Rin could be kidnaped, Kakashi a fake and anything else you can think of. You can't pass judgement on that.

Now about Naruto.

He was FORCED to sacrifice himself. Not only he belived in his kid and in JMan but he also had to protect the biju balance, that was made CLEAR. For him losing the Kyuubi would by a very bad thing (how much sense it makes to us ... Meh) He whent on how its abandoning one village and what not.

Also he could NOT seal the thing in himself... He could seal 50% and he was on his knees in paralyzed...
    Naruto himself was a BABY, sealing that much in him would have killed him. Yes Naruto was a Uzumachi but still... Even if a small chanse that Naruto would die Minato would NOT take that chanse... But now seriously a grown man and Minato was paralyzed... What would that do to a kid?
    Then going by curent events in the manga it would apear that what Minato did ends up saving the Naruto-verse so your points are not that good.

Kushian taking the biju down with her and having it spawn anywhere would not only mean that Tobi could get it before he can get to it but also it could attack a random village and that would start a bloody war. Imagine having the 9 tails attack village X and those dudes knowing that the 9 tails the Konoha's weapon.
    Then even if they defeat it and that vilages get's the 9 tails it would be a HUGE blow for Konoha when you consider the balance of power...
    I see nothing to blame Minato on. He was a great man.
    Last edited by xXan; October 03, 2012 at 09:01 AM.

18. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast