Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 504 by Bomber D Rufi , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Shigekuni Yamamoto Genryuusai Memorial Thread

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Darth Executor's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Shigekuni Yamamoto Genryuusai Memorial Thread

It's probably odd that I'm making this thread considering I've spent the last couple of weeks or so bashing him for general incompetence, but I feel bad enough about it that I figure I owe him some nice words even though my opinion on that hasn't changed. Feel free to leave the old man your own goodbye words in the comment section.

Anyway, Yamamoto is responsible for what is hands down my favorite kill in Bleach:

This is my favorite kill not just because instantly burning the flesh off someone is pretty cool if you're a psycho (and I am ), but also because all of us can probably relate to the kind of hatred and rage he was feeling at the time, and sometimes, the best way to deal with that rage is to utterly obliterate whatever caused it. Classical Yamamoto and, IMO, far more satisfying than even his bankai. I'm gonna miss Yama's giant flames 1 hit KOing dangerous opponents with the old man barely lifting a finger.

Farewell Shigekuni Yamamoto Genryuusai, the smell of burning flesh will be missed.

Last edited by Darth Executor; October 11, 2012 at 06:28 PM.

2. Thanks 5 Member(s) thanked this post
    MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shigekuni Yamamoto Genryuusai Memorial Thread

To be honest I don't think yamamoto was nearly as incompetent as juha made him out to be. Lets look at what was said point by point:

1.- He wasn't a murderous thug anymore. How could we ever hold that against him? This would by all intents and purposes be a good thing. Yamamoto got stuff to protect? What is wrong with protecting the things he was protecting? The only debatable thing would be whether winning a war with honor would be a priority giving the circumstances however we have to take in consideration that after the war it is him who is going to have to look at himself at the mirror and stand himself for whatever atrocity he committed.
    2.- Wanting to win the war by himself. In here we have to take in consideration that the war was caused due to him and given what we saw it was him alone that could have possibly defeated juha. As far as not wanting to involve humans in the war.... wouldn't he be 100% right on that one? Ichigo was 15 before the timeskip, even if he was as strong as he was he was merely a kid. In principle we should be against kids participating in wars. There is nothing inherently wrong about asking orihime to heal his arm though, he is every bit as guilty of that as juha mentioned. I don't think that one arm would have made a significant difference though, with his bankai stolen things are completely grim for him.

Of course, from juha's perspective everything would be every bit as bad as he mentioned. He is a murderous thug, his stern rittern are murderous thugs (kirge even killed his own subordinates), not one of them seems to care for one another except for juhabach. Of course, it is not like juha has done anything much as a murderous thug or has taken care of the advantages that not giving a shit would give him. He hasn't sacrificed his peons without a care, he hasn't committed atrocities beyond a standard bleach war... It all sums down to the stealing of bankai, nothing else.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Slovakia
    Post Thanks / Like

For me, Bach is the leading murderous thug in Bleach now. Not really because of what he did, but because of how Yama commented on him not caring about his subordinates whatsoever, before and now. He made VR what it is, physically and mentally.
    Erfworld

Quote Originally Posted by Bromamura View Post
    Meh can't have Bleach without fan raging, makes it fun.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Hakuteiken's Avatar
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Apart from what he did to Berci Driscoll, he has never shown a merciless attitude. Halibel's Fraccion, Tres Bestias are alive. Mohawk Quincy is still alive. Maybe the other two Quincy, too.
    But he avenged someone who has devoted his entire life to being his right hand man and he surely did not hold back there. For me, too, the best kill in the entire manga.

Anyway, good thread this is. A nice idea to say farewell to Captain-Commander.
    When confirmed dead, I'll do the same for Roku-bantai taichou-san!

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Exodi's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

From that moment where he made Nanao foam at the mouth....
    To the moment he said bankai...

Yamamoto's ridiculous strength is what made him a favorite character of mine.
    I will admit that I didn't like him in the beginning, but as we saw him fight, he was actually much more merciful than his appearance might lead one to believe.

7. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Bajan4eva1's Avatar
    Country
    Barbados
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Exodi View Post
    From that moment where he made Nanao foam at the mouth....
    To the moment he said bankai...

Yamamoto's ridiculous strength is what made him a favorite character of mine.
    I will admit that I didn't like him in the beginning, but as we saw him fight, he was actually much more merciful than his appearance might lead one to believe.
    Agreed. His appearance made him seem like a mean ass Grandfather. But after seeing him fight recently he was clearly more merciful than his appearance led me to believe. I mean just think of what he could've done to Ichigo, Shunsui, and Ukitake during the Rukia rescue.

Farewell Yama-ji you will be missed. All we can do now is hope for a gaiden.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, to be completely fair the manga never showed yamamoto as being as backwards and outright incompetent as a lot of people make him out to be. It was the fillers and movies that made him seem that way in particular however in the manga he acted about as coherent as kubo would ever allow a character to even if we take in consideration yamamoto was born is borderline prehistoric times.

Intl Translator MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted juUnior's Avatar
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

The strongest person in Bleach, imo I will miss him and his strength and GAR moments and whatnot <not to mention that his fights are always cool to see; I mean: that a 'good guy' is stronger than the 'bad guy' way xD> I like in fighting shounens old man/men to be usually extremely strong.. in Bleach Yamaji was probably the strongest old man I've ever seen in any fighting shounen <excluding OP> He was waaay to cool <I hope the next volume cover will be dedicated to him, meaning he will receive two covers when he was alive ^^>

btw. the only thing I don't like is that in both his major fights against "the baddest of bad guys" <Aizen and Juha Bach respectively>, he was always 'handicapped' by those bad guys: Aizen made Wonderweiss specifically to nullify flames of Yama's zanpakutou while Juha Bach made one of his subordinates with 'cool' abilities to fight Yama to, well, test him/or reveal his bankai's abilities; I mean: in both fights he didn't had a real chance on fighting with the bad guy.. because he would win <I exagerate a bit but still.. xd>
    ..:: I LoVe I's ::.. [Naruto] Share your thoughts on: Boobies

11. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by juUnior View Post
    The strongest person in Bleach, imo I will miss him and his strength and GAR moments and whatnot <not to mention that his fights are always cool to see; I mean: that a 'good guy' is stronger than the 'bad guy' way xD> I like in fighting shounens old man/men to be usually extremely strong.. in Bleach Yamaji was probably the strongest old man I've ever seen in any fighting shounen <excluding OP> He was waaay to cool <I hope the next volume cover will be dedicated to him, meaning he will receive two covers when he was alive ^^>

btw. the only thing I don't like is that in both his major fights against "the baddest of bad guys" <Aizen and Juha Bach respectively>, he was always 'handicapped' by those bad guys: Aizen made Wonderweiss specifically to nullify flames of Yama's zanpakutou while Juha Bach made one of his subordinates with 'cool' abilities to fight Yama to, well, test him/or reveal his bankai's abilities; I mean: in both fights he didn't had a real chance on fighting with the bad guy.. because he would win <I exagerate a bit but still.. xd>
    I don't think it would have mattered. The way Juha implied was he not concerned at all about Yama. he had Royd distract him while he went to talk to Aizen. Also the way he was able to chop off Yamas limbs with ease.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member darkprince0521's Avatar
    Country
    Bangladesh
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LordZet View Post
    I don't think it would have mattered. The way Juha implied was he not concerned at all about Yama. he had Royd distract him while he went to talk to Aizen. Also the way he was able to chop off Yamas limbs with ease.
    he wasn't, because he knew he would steal the Bankai.
    Naruto Forever

Country
    North Pole
    Post Thanks / Like

R.I.P Yamamoto Gigantic-Eyebrows-uusai.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member g0dzax's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Farewell,Yama-jii,you will be missed and together with you the art of wondefully killing opponents in one-shot.Driscoll's murder is the best kill in Bleach.Now I am expecting Shunsui's Bankai,though it seemed like he was KO'd.

Quote Originally Posted by kkck
    Well, to be completely fair the manga never showed yamamoto as being as backwards and outright incompetent as a lot of people make him out to be. It was the fillers and movies that made him seem that way in particular however in the manga he acted about as coherent as kubo would ever allow a character to even if we take in consideration yamamoto was born is borderline prehistoric times.
    Completely agree with you.For me,Yama-jii has always done exactly what he was supposed to do,and also I do agree that in the fillers he was shown as somehow incompetent (Inaba Kagerouza holding his ground against Yama-jii?...).

Intl Translator MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted juUnior's Avatar
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LordZet
    Thats why I wrote that I may exagerate a little xd

BUT lets play devils advocate: Yamaji was fighting Royd <thinking he is Juha Bach!> with all his might.. ALL his might <we've see him go ALL out for the very first time - with Aizen he went ALL out to some extent being handicapped by WW/sealing flames, and he still performed nicely: defeating WW, protecting all those around with his own body and still doing some uber kidou on Aizen while being half-dead >; Royd is defeated and Juha Bach shows up, and he taunts Yamaji with "While fighting the fake, did you use up all your power? Shigekuni Yamamoto?" while Yama goes bankai, and bankai is stolen. Ok, there's an explanation about that BUT then Yamaji goes 'normally' <well, I don't think he went shunpo or anything but we do know that he is extremely AWESOME in shunpo/hand-to-hand combat/kidou <I assume>/sword fighting> towards Juha Bach who not only makes his bow, takes his 'sword' and slashes at Yama - it just looks somewhat.. unrealistic <Yamaji taking his time to be slashed?!>. Maybe Yamaji was REALLY exhausted/used up all his power "while fighting the fake" <quoting JB>, hmm?! Just my few cents on this handicapped thingy.
    ..:: I LoVe I's ::.. [Naruto] Share your thoughts on: Boobies

Country
    North Pole
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think Yama used up all his power or something, I think Bach just killed him with his own Bankai.

Banned 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrs View Post
    I don't think Yama used up all his power or something, I think Bach just killed him with his own Bankai.
    And YAMA'S BANKAI include making a BOW in the SKY, shooting an ARROW from it, and using that ARROW to slash Yama. Makes sense to me!

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast