Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/7/14 - 7/13/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 502 by kewl0210 , Bleach 588 (2)
New Reply

Thread: Lessons learnt in Hunter Exam foreshadowing

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member futurefrog's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Lessons learnt in Hunter Exam foreshadowing

Think about it guys, in the Hunter Exam certain events that occur did foreshadow future events. Two future events involving Killua were learnt before Killua joins with them for example:

The old hag gives them the choice between family or friend, how could you choose? Killua had to make this decision in the Election arc. He saves both, but ultimately can only stay with one.

Gon says, that Mito taught him "If you want to understand someone, find out what makes them angry." Killua discovers who Gon truly is when he sees Gon's rage induced transformation in CHimera Ants arc.

Now go to the lesson of the Trick Tower, of majority rules and working together. This foreshadows the eventual break-down of the main 4, with them all realising that if they wish to achieve their goals they can't work together, they have to do it themselves. This can also be seen during the Yorknew arc when they ultimately cause more trouble working together. It really goes to show that sometimes working together can be difficult.

There are surely more foreshadowing in this arc. Name some! Lets get a group analysis going here

"If you want to understand someone, find out what makes them angry."

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 5 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Riruru's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lessons learnt in Hunter Exam foreshadowing

- In the first phase of the exam when Kurapika and Leorio get left behind in the Hisoka massacre and Gon decides to go after them. Killua deciding to leave the three behind foreshadows how his tendency to not face dangerous things becomes a problem later on.

- Also more on the family vs. friends thing that old lady was talking about. Kurapika is going through something similiar during not only the bulk of York New but even now. He's continuing to neglect being with Gon, Killua, and Leorio in favor of avenging his clan. This is especially true for that question of if you had the choice for saving the life of a friend or family, and how he didn't visit Gon while he was dying.

I'll try thinking of more later but it's pretty late.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member GingFuriksu's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if I can really call this a foreshadowing ? But what the heck

Throughout the series we always saw little bits and bits of Gon's angry impulsive nature.

- When Illumi told Gon that Killua went home. Gon got really pissed off and broke Illumi's arm.
    - When Gon yelled at Gotoh for hanging up on him while they were trying to enter Killua's mansion.
    - Last weeks episode with the whole Nobunaga thing.
    - Gon's frustration when Genthru said Gon wasn't worth his time. Gon made the plan take a backseat just so he can prove that he's worth using your ability on.

All of these imo was leading up to the Ant arc... which we all know what happened in THAT arc.

5. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Banned 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that there's a lot of foreshadowing that Gon might end up like Hisoka one day and that when Hisoka was Gon's age he was very similar to him. I mean now with the Chimera Ant arc we can see that neither of them are truly good or evil, and while Gon seems very innocent and fun loving he can hardly be considered truly "good" as he's willing to do anything to achieve his goals even if it means killing (Like with Komugi for example. I feel that's the main reason why Hisoka is so interested in Gon, and why in every single arc Gon grows just a bit more and more psychotic.

7. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Uriel's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

He doesn't grow psychotic, He is...a tad crazy. But not psychotic.

And yes, I think Illumi and Hisoka are the dark future of Gon and Killua as Silva and Ging are the bright future...Always messed up, of course. :P
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames
    looks like the entrance to hell
    'Perfect', the captain said.

9. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member GingFuriksu's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

After reading volume 25 I think this is probably a foreshadowing.

Spoiler show

Gon says " you hurt yourself when you cannot forgive yourself "

What does he do in the Pitou fight ? He tries to commit suicide ( while also obtaining the power to kill Pitou, the murderer of Kite ) because he couldn't forgive himself for letting Kite die. Remember, this page is before Gon knew Kite was actually dead. He still believed Kite could be " fixed "

---------- Post added November 19, 2012 at 01:25 AM ---------- Previous post was October 25, 2012 at 12:20 PM ----------

Another one that just came to mind although it happened in the anime a couple weeks back. When Killua tried to confront Nobunaga but couldn't and he just saw Illumi in his head.

That's a foreshadowing of the needle in the ant arc.

This wasn't anything special : P just decided to throw it in here.

11. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

When you've a world as complicated as HXH you can pretty much say any random nonsense early on and then come back later and say it's a foreshadowing. I mean you can basically say the whole Hunter's Exam about friendship as: "Friendship don't last forever because bad things happen". Well it's certainly true bad things happen to a whole mess of people in HXH so it's hard to argue against that. There's a lot of quasi-philosophical stuff to discuss in HXH but I don't think that makes it foreshadowing. Gon said if you want to understand someone, figure out what makes them angry. Has he ever considered what makes Killua angry? Of course not. So what exactly is the point of him saying this if he never even bothered figuring out what made his best friend angry?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member futurefrog's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Phantron View Post
    When you've a world as complicated as HXH you can pretty much say any random nonsense early on and then come back later and say it's a foreshadowing. I mean you can basically say the whole Hunter's Exam about friendship as: "Friendship don't last forever because bad things happen". Well it's certainly true bad things happen to a whole mess of people in HXH so it's hard to argue against that. There's a lot of quasi-philosophical stuff to discuss in HXH but I don't think that makes it foreshadowing. Gon said if you want to understand someone, figure out what makes them angry. Has he ever considered what makes Killua angry? Of course not. So what exactly is the point of him saying this if he never even bothered figuring out what made his best friend angry?
    Hav eyou not read the Zoldyck family arc? The entire thing was about this very thing!

"If you want to understand someone, find out what makes them angry."

14. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Honestly can't think of anything specifically foreshadowing anything in HxH. Doubt Togashi planned that far ahead. Of course, he could've retroactively considered something from before and wrote something to fit...but foreshadowing is a literary technique. It doesn't simply mean "anything that is a parallel to future events."

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Morocco
    Post Thanks / Like

Well one foreshadowing I really liked was the fact that he planned to use alluka really early in the manga, because the names of the zoldyck brothers follow a certain pattern: IlluMilluKilluAlluKalluto.

Banned 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Turkmenistan
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Uriel View Post
    He doesn't grow psychotic, He is...a tad crazy. But not psychotic.

And yes, I think Illumi and Hisoka are the dark future of Gon and Killua as Silva and Ging are the bright future...Always messed up, of course. :P
    Gon is very crazy. And Wow I would have to agree, I doubt Gon would be as psychotic as Hisoka though he takes weird to another level.

Quote Originally Posted by cipher View Post
    Well one foreshadowing I really liked was the fact that he planned to use alluka really early in the manga, because the names of the zoldyck brothers follow a certain pattern: IlluMilluKilluAlluKalluto.
    Nice Catch their.

Killua's reaction to Wing's Nen display he jumped into the corner of the room pissing his pants, while Gon was still sitting in his spot...Foreshadowing of Illumi's brainwashing. Also When Illumi approached him in the Hunter Exam new anime version..and when he knocked gon out to run from Pitou......Phantron their are foreshadowing in any good story.

New Reply