Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply

Thread: Blackjack612 Reviews Naruto 605 Hell

Reviewer 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member blackjack612's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Blackjack612 Reviews Naruto 605 Hell

"Where am I?"
    - Obito Uchiha

This week's chapter of Naruto answers a couple of questions about Obito, but leaves quite a few of them unanswered. In fact, the majority of this chapter is devoted to a lengthy action sequence and there really isn't much plot progression. First, let's go over last review's poll. I asked you why you thought Kakashi killed Rin and the majority of you were split between your own unlisted theories or thinking that he was forced to. Surprisingly, quite a few of you also believed Rin was a traitor and slightly fewer believed she was being controlled. Now for the chapter review...

Naruto 605 Hell
    The images in this review are credited to Mangastream.

Team Kakashi isn't reunited for very long as the chapter begins. Rin is released and collapses dead in the rain. Kakashi follows suit, fainting after his Mangekyo is awakened in response to Obito awakening his own. There are scores of Hidden Rain shinobi disappointed that Kakashi killed Rin just when they had obtained a mysterions 'it'. In full possession of both a Mangekyo and wood release jutsu, Obito makes his presence and wrath known to the Hidden Rain. The Hidden Rain ninja don't believe a reinforcement of one shinobi is enough to worry about. Obito proves them wrong.

Obito slips through their attacks. Shinobi and kunai alike slip through him. The hashirama cells in his genetically modified half activate and he sprouts wooden spikes. He cuts a bloody swath through the bloody mist, impaling countless masked shinobi on wooden stakes. As their attacks fail, the Hidden Mist try rushing Obito in large numbers to no avail, until finally, he slays the whole lot with a massive mokuton. The chapter ends with an agonized Obito bathing in their blood. What will he do next in his sorrow?

I'm glad I gave this one some time before throwing it up. Initially, I was pretty disappointed with this chapter's art, but the oddities that distracted me during my initial reading didn't completely take away from what was well drawn this chapter on subsequent readings.

I remain unconvinced by Obito's exoskeleton design. The shell and cloak combined make him look puffy and whenever his body appears in scale, the proportions seem a bit off. It didn't help that a couple of Obito's few facial expressions unmasked were ill executed. Nor did was the action this chapter, essentially its biggest selling point, was hard to parse initially, lacking in the clarity Kishimoto is usually good at.

Yet there was the brilliant bloodbath at the end that was perhaps the most violent image this series has produced. And we got a nifty page split between Kakashi and Obito's face, that zoomed closer and closer as the panels went on until the halves of their faces lined up with each other.

Aside Obito's repetitive questioning*, there was plenty to like about this chapter. The sheer number of Hidden Rain shinobi present hint at larger plots and I think the chapter kept a good balance between giving us enough info to comprehend what was happening but withholding enough to allow for some mystery. What exactly was the Hidden Rain trying to retrieve? Was Rin in possession of an artifact from Konoha they wanted? Did she have a bloodline ability they were looking for? Or she was the target of an experimental jutsu and her corpse was valuable in perfecting it? Then there's Obito's fighting ability to consider, which jumped a few levels due to his wrath.

*Seriously, how on the nose was that? There had to have been a better way to portray Obito's grief. If Kishimoto had cut all the 'Where am I?'s and left only the screaming and a 'This place is Hell' at the end, the chapter would be much improved.

However, Hell was light on plot progression and no questions were answered. Even among this much awaited for flashback, the most memorable moment was the level of violence and not the missing narrative being filled in. That's why I'm giving the chapter a...

3 out of 5.

Predictions

I still don't know what I believe happened to Rin, but it looks firmly like Madara wasn't involved in what went down. Was his assertion that Obito would return a general assumption based on the nature of the shinobi world or something he assumed by being connected to the Zetsu network? Whatever the case, I have a feeling we'll be seeing the Third Mizukage in a couple of weeks time.

One Line Reviews
    • In One Piece 684 we get the beginning of Smoker and Vergo's excellent fight and a glimpse at the incident on Punk Hazard from four years ago.
    • Tower of God S2 Ch35 formally wraps up Season 2's first mini arc and does so with aplomb. Baam's new team hatches a plan to reunite him with his friends, but a dangerous new foe lurks in the shadows. There's some excellent intrigue here that only makes me lament the lengthy month long wait until the new arc even more.
    • Talk about fantastic. Bleach 511 is a moving, wonderfully drawn chapter that serves as a fitting coda for one of the series most fully fleshed out characters. For me, this was the clear standout for the week, so I'm giving Bleach my Pick of the Week

The Naruto 644 Review is up!

2. Thanks 9 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 4 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Sanadan's Avatar
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Blackjack612 Reviews Naruto 605 Hell

The next chapter will probably be better then this one. I give it 4/5 how ever as it shows the connection of the Sharingan better, it also reveals some techniques that Obito seems to be holding back. It shows his frustration and lack of understanding. I see this as half a chapter though but a good half, the next ties it in I believe.

It's hard to review when you don't have much to work with but this was once again a nice one

And yes Bleach keeps going hard like it has for a while now.
    Could the Sage of Six Paths be named Sanada Yukimura?

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Knatz's Avatar
    Country
    Malta
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the review.Not being artistic l look forward to reading your insights.
    Although l thought you would say something about what Obito is seeing because my impression is that in order for the mangekyou to fucntion it has to be able to perceive both the normal world and the alternate dark world at the same time. This would the explain why Obito thinks he is in hell.
    Last edited by Knatz; October 16, 2012 at 07:22 AM.

6. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

You're wrong.

Madara could have had the zetsus leak information.

He could have leaked info to rin on Obito being alive. He could have leaked info on a program the mist had that could save him etc manipulating her into betraying konoha.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Knatz's Avatar
    Country
    Malta
    Post Thanks / Like

The mist village was supposed to be creating experimental bodies maybe Rin is the prototype

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member lan2cp's Avatar
    Country
    Dominican Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blackjack612 View Post
    [CENTER]
    Team Kakashi isn't reunited for very long as the chapter begins. Rin is released and collapses dead in the rain. Kakashi follows suit, fainting after his Mangekyo is awakened in response to Obito awakening his own. There are scores of Hidden Rain shinobi disappointed that Kakashi killed Rin just when they had obtained a mysterions 'it'. In full possession of both a Mangekyo and wood release jutsu, Obito makes his presence and wrath known to the Hidden Rain. The Hidden Rain ninja don't believe a reinforcement of one shinobi is enough to worry about. Obito proves them wrong.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it Kakashi that awakened the Mangekyo Sharingan since he was the one to kill Rin (the best friend)?

Registered User 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! mattiaildivino's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Black, I'm sorry but you forgot 2 out of the 3 most important things of the chapter: you rightly mentioned that the rain ninjas complained about rin's death,but you didn't for what concerns their attempt to recuperate her body,that is the result of a mysterious experiment,the one which zetsu was talking about in the previous chapter. the last thing is zetsu's statement about madara choosing obito... that might bring that he really is involved in these events

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member number12michael's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lan2cp View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it Kakashi that awakened the Mangekyo Sharingan since he was the one to kill Rin (the best friend)?
    I think thats why his awakened

Maybe when he got older during time skip he went under genjutsu to re live the memory of killing rin...thus re-activating/awakening his MS
    "Keep Eating Shit For The Rest Of Your Life " - 愛憎のロクサーヌ- Roxanne of Love and Hate

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity llamapie's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Its clear to me that Madara is the one manipulating this whole situation. He was said to be mizukage at one point right? And we know he was manipulating the 3rd mizukage for quite some time. This whole thing could have been a ploy to turn Obito to the darkness. He obviously decides to go back to Madara. Madara will likely make a story that convinces Obito that the Shinobi world needs to be "reborn". With that Obito would easily forget about his past connections. Its the only explanation to how he treated Minato, his master when they fought later on.

I am hoping Naruto gets mad. Obito is responsible for the death of his mom and dad and even tried killing him as an infant. Need some super saiyan rage to rekindle my interest.
    Give the best manga of all time some attention!

# of "Miura will die before Berserk is finished" comments(since Nov. 1st 2008): 92

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by llamapie View Post

I am hoping Naruto gets mad. Obito is responsible for the death of his mom and dad and even tried killing him as an infant. Need some super saiyan rage to rekindle my interest.
    Well he already knew what Tobi did already, learning that he is obito isn't going to make the matter worst, he doesnt know Obito.

Registered User 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! mattiaildivino's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

but I agreed that this chapter was the worst of the previous week,whereas bleach deserved t be the standout! (however,this week is the very opposite )

New Reply