Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 515 (2)
New Reply

Thread: Clare's progression, motive and final fight with Priscilla

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Number A's Avatar
    Country
    Dragonstone
    Post Thanks / Like

Clare's progression, motive and final fight with Priscilla

Happy new year everybody! Here’s an essay on Clare’s motivation and character progression that I started after reading chapter 145. It was originally going to be called ‘Chapter 145: The Price of Hope or That Awkward Moment When You’d Rather Make Out With Your Boyfriend Than Avenge Your Childhood Hero’ but I had to revise it to include material from this chapter. Those of you who feel that Clare’s sudden affection for her comrades has come out of nowhere might find it interesting.

Chapter 146: And At Last Clare Sees The Light

"What the hell are you doing!? If you go get yourself killed, what about the ones you leave behind!?"
    -Ophelia

Spoiler show

Spoiler show

Spoiler show

Spoiler show

Spoiler show

Spoiler show

Spoiler show

Spoiler show

Spoiler show

Spoiler show

Spoiler show

That's it from me! I've got a kitchen to procrasticlean.
    Last edited by Miyagi; January 03, 2014 at 04:37 AM. Reason: New title

2. Like 6 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner SSJPabs's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Clare's progression, motive and final fight with Priscilla

Just wanted to add a minor point: Clare is named after one of the twin Goddesses of Love, so her name itself indicates the direction of her overall character arc.

4. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

You have provided us with a brief summary of "Clares development" and basic surface analysis of such data. I am rather obsesst with the manga my self, I have read the whole thing over 7-8 times all together through 3 different translators. I wanted to make sure I have not missed a single detail, and reading it for the 4-5th, you are surprised when you find your self at chapter 120 or so, being introduced to a dialogue that refers to something that happened in the past, that even after reading this manga so many times over, you tend realize that you somehow overlooked a certain detail that was there for you 100 chapters before. Every single page holds references, and clues and hidden messages that will be relevant in future chapters.

Claymore manga is a great literary work of art that focuses on human psychological easement.
    So while your conclusion is both partially correct and shallow at the same time. Correct about Cliche ideas like power of friendship, comradery, all that nonsense. But you are misunderstanding something, Clare is only a fraction of the picture.

You have to look back, when Clare got sliced up by Ophelia, and got rescued by Irene. And how Clare blamed her self for Teresas death, and Irene said it is true that Teresas death is partially your fault, you see when you began traveling with Teresa, Teresa got weaker as a warrior , because she stopped focusing on being a warrior and her training and became more human. Teresa died because she grew weak\er due to the fact that she allowed her self to get emotionally attached to another life form, which was Clare.
    This attachment strayed her mind, her judgement as a warrior whens she spared Priscillas' life , and said I must be getting weak, because she did not want to kill Priscilla due to the fact, Priscilla somehow resembled Clare.

There are two reasons why Priscilla will not be killed or defeated. Because Priscilla, is an extension of Clare, you must not look at them as two different characters, rather look at Priscilla and Clare as one object at which you are looking through a prism(one object from two different angles). One cannot be destroyed with out other the other being destroyed in affect.

Reason number two is, Priscilla is stronger than all of the warriors\demons combined. When I say stronger, I don't mean the obvious which is the fact that the strongest awakened, that she has instant regeneration, speed that outclassed Miria, swordsmanship that outclassed quick sword in one swing... Reason why Priscilla is next level, is the fact that unlike Clare, she is not tainted , what I mean by not tainted l, we as humans are poisoned by ideology, by rules, morals, feelings of friendship, love,compassion. These things make us weak as a life form, as soon as one begins restricting, limiting ones being by rules, by allowing your feelings to govern your actions, one forfeits that raw, pure essence what makes life, life. Life is a biological system, that must obtain energy in order to live, there is competition for this resource, you begin competition with other life forms for this resource, that's when an organism must grow strong, it must ensure its survival by relying on your own strenght. You must understand that we as a collection of cells, are the only thing that matters, we are all alone in the world, we might make friends, have children, but in the end we are all alone. We can temporarily find comfort in friendship, ideology, but as soon as you begin putting these things ahead of your self, that is when you become weak as a life form, that is when this temporary delusion clouds your mind from reality, you begin to do things to benefit other life forms rather than your self, which end up hurting you.

Priscilla, is pure. She is not evil, not good. She is a pure life form. She is a flower that is not tainted by society or rules, by illusions of friendships, by hopes or dreams. When she is hungry she eats, she she is sad, she cries. Remember that scene on top of that cliff,(invasion of Pieta) , where Priscilla left the house in the middle of snowstorm where Raki and Isley were staying in, and Isley told Raki to go look for her. Raki found her standing on top of a Cliff, completely naked in the middle of the snowstorm, looking out into the distance, crying. She said, there far away, small lights are being extinguished. There goes one, there goes another. Only two are left, they are shining much brighter than the other ones, yet they are such ephemeral lights..... And the two remaining lights are now extinguished . The fact that she was naked when Raki found her, symbolized that she was standing in her pure form. This is just one example of how you cannot rely on scripture alone, you have to look at the vivid symbolism to understand that Yagi is communicating to us. A being we considered to be all evil, is shedding tears. Priscilla is not evil, she is simply pure. It's so easy to miss, or to misunderstand it, if you are not paying close attention.

Or the scene where Priscilla cut Raki with out any hesitation , she said something along the lines, you are mistaken if you believe that traveling with you for 7 years has made me grown any attachment to you what so ever.

This is the reason why none of the warriors will ever match Priscillas level, because she is not like everyone else, she is not tainted or clouded by illusions.
    Unless Yagi decides to throw some cheap garbage at us about the power of friendship and how it has made Clare soo strong that she has friends now, that she is able to surpass Pricillas strength with her comrades, I will slit my wrists on such occasion.

So when trying to analyze Clare, you have to Analyze Priscilla. You have to understand that they are not two separate characters, they are Yin and Yang, one cannot exist with out the other. Those two characters are just an alternate paths of the same road being that lead to the same destination.
    Last edited by Sw0rdm3n; January 05, 2014 at 05:08 AM.

6. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner clarakiss's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

i wonder if clare's gonna ask prissy why she was fightin' raki when she got there? i bet prissy's moar than willing to answer all her questions and reveal to clare that she's been with him for the past seven years too. :3

New Reply