Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 600 (2)
New Reply

Thread: Meruem vs Strategy games's champions.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Demonspeed's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Meruem vs Strategy games's champions.

Here is my response:

Quote Originally Posted by kenosecon View Post
    Sorry for the offtopic.
    Demonspeed it literally meant the amateur champ beat meruem 10 times and then meruem beat him. In go you need at leat 150 moves to beat your opponment and that's if you are way above him/her a game normally has 300 moves more or less. (I'm a go player, just for hobbie).
    You are wrong, he was bored and played different games, he won every champion, Gungi was the last game. The champion of the previous game lost easily, if he had won he would have been freed by Meruem. Meruem won without difficulty and with 10 moves. Why would the champion continue to play if he just needed one victory to escape the kingdom? He is not like Komugi.
    http://mangahelpers.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic172142_25.gif

Banned 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Venezuela
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Meruem vs Strategy games's champions.

ehm... you can count the stones in the small corner... there are 11... which means only in that corner there are eleven moves...

also the meaning of "5.5 points the king's victory" means they played that game to the last stone which means 300 plus moves and it also means the king won by the bare minimum 0.5 point.

nowadays you need 6.5 points at least.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member KingOfNight's Avatar
    Country
    Fire Nation
    Post Thanks / Like

kingofknight I read the page about botobai in japanese, it's not an easy translation and it certainly can be taken as botobai is the more famous and strong after the chairman. it doesn't say ability by any means as "ability" can be misunderstood as "hatsu" or nen power... it just say or "merit" or "strength".
    Doesn't matter. It's almost the same. That alone puts him ahead of Ging for the place of the strongest Zodiac. And remember, strongest Zodiac or not, they still pale in comparison to the King or Netero. Which is my original point.

Country
    Venezuela
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep I must say you might be right in that but even so I personally would refuse to belive that means "strenght" but "merit" unless I see him fight.
    Of course that's only my personal opinion.

And the fact hisoka destroyed easily teradain and busodora makes me think the hunters are pretty weak in comparison to strong characters.
    Like ging or pariston.
    Also we are going off topic again...

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I think people are way obsessed with strength measured only in physical excellence. If Ging could use Breath of the Archangel at will and is only medicore at fighting, he'd still be considered a living God and would rightfully deserve the top 5 ranking. It's the top 5 aura users of the world, not the semi finalists of the Martal Arts Olympiad at the Celestial Tower. One of the key points about Hunters is that they're definitely not very good at killing people anymore, probably because they've grown lax in their years of unrivaled dominance.

It's quite clear that the wealth and status the Hunters enjoy indeed must have made them weak and corrupt at some level. The wealth and status of Hunters is absolutely unimagineable. If the Spiders pooled their money together they'd still have a hard time having enough money to buy a copy of GI. Okay so you can say Spiders just take whatever they want, except they obviously weren't able to get a copy of GI until it showed up on the Yorknew auction, and quite a few members of the Spiders were actually interested in playing GI. Yet a random Hunter donated 6 copies of the GI game for free. Neither Zeno nor Silva really likes to kill people, and we can gather they do what they do because it's needed to support their lifestyles. And how rich are the Z family? Well Miluki asked for a loan of 15 billion zenny from Silva to buy GI in exchange for killing 10 people for him, so we can assume this amount of money is nontrivial to them. The 6 copies of GI sold for well over 100 billion zenny at the auction and it was donated by a single nondescript Hunter, and we can be pretty sure that guy isn't even anyone special amongst Hunters. If you have money that makes the Z family look poor, why would you ever want to risk your life? After all, hiring the world's best assassin is probably only pocket change to these guys.

That said based on the Election Arc, the fighting prowess of the Hunters as an organization literally fall off a cliff after Netero died. Or maybe the point is that Hunters have grown so fat that they're no longer capable of fighting for what's right and that they're so pathetic, Pariston was forced to abandon whatever evil plan he had because it'd be totally shameful to pick on such a dysfunctional organization.

---------- Post added at 12:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 PM ----------

For Meryem playing these games, they're just games. It's not like he's devoting any special effort to them (aside from Gungi). It's literally something he's doing because he's bored. The country he's in has a population of 5 million people, so you try to pick up an instruction booklet on something you've never played before and beat the best guy out of 5 million in under a day. How good is Meryem at games? Before Meryem, nobody ever pushed Komugi to use aura. That is, although she is capable of using aura, she clearly never had the need to use it before which is why she's surprised she even has that ability when it was awakened. Although aura tends to be limited fighting in HXH, it's clearly applicable in all other fields too. If someone uses aura in a game, he must enjoy the same near inviniciblity against anyone not using aura similar to physical fighting. Note that 'using aura' means you've aura especially tuned for game playing. There might be plenty of people who can use aura generally but as far as we know Komugi is the only character who have aura specifically tuned for Gungi, because otherwise that'd mean any random guy capable of using aura (say Gon or Hisoka) would suddenly become a Gungi champ if they decided to enter a tournament.

So although Meryem has no aura-related game playing abilities, he was able to push the world champion of Gungi into using aura, which is something she's never done before. This pretty much means at that point, Meryem would easily be able to crush anybody she has defeated before, as she didn't need aura at all to get her world champion title. Komugi's dominance in the field of Gungi is every bit as dominating, if not more so, than Netero's dominance in the field of martial arts. So it took someone that's equivalent of Netero in his prime (Komugi is obviously in her prime in terms of Gungi skill) to beat Meryem in a game, and it's clear such individual excellence is exceedingly rare.

Country
    Venezuela
    Post Thanks / Like

That might not be true. For all we know all the genius world champs can use nen. All the great artists too.
    It's possible nen it's the only way for humans to go beyond physical limitations.

And maybe komugi used nen in her other world matches in a smaller way. After being pushed she had to go further with her nen.
    For me when she opened her eyes she was making some kind of condition for her ability.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

There's a difference between using aura subconsciously versus consciously. It's said that experts in all fields usually end up using aura subconsciously, which is why Gon was able to find high quality stuff by just looking for aura. But that's because aura is a manifestation of high level of expertise, not the other way around. If Gon or any other fighting oriented character decided to pursue a career in making high quality knives they're most likely going to completely suck at it even though they surely know more about aura compared to the guy who just used it subconsciously.

When Komugi opened her eyes that's obviously the equivalent of a Hatsu. You don't need to spell out the exact conditions for things to work. What she operates under (death if she ever loses a game) is already plenty strict enough. Even the best human player of Gungi needed an equivalent of Hatsu to defeat Meryem, even though Komugi clearly never used any kind of Hatsu before. So while there's a rather large difference between Komugi and Meryem's ability at Gungi, there's just as a large or even greater difference between Meryem and the rest of the world on the same field.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member KingOfNight's Avatar
    Country
    Fire Nation
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep I must say you might be right in that but even so I personally would refuse to belive that means "strenght" but "merit" unless I see him fight.
    Of course that's only my personal opinion.

And the fact hisoka destroyed easily teradain and busodora makes me think the hunters are pretty weak in comparison to strong characters.
    Like ging or pariston.
    Also we are going off topic again...
    You can't do that you, you know. You can't claim he's not strong because you haven't seen him fight, yet claim that Ging is the strongest even though you didn't see him fight. Even if it's just your opinion, it's still contradictory.

You also can't call Hunters weak and proceed to state that Ging or Pariston are strong even though they're Hunters as well.

New Reply