Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 595 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sub-Characters loose ends

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity TheBoss's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Sub-Characters loose ends

Ok Idk where to start...
    My biggest anger with togashi is that he creates some incredible characters and then he seems to forget about them and just keep going with the main plot.
    Examples: Zushi - We get to see him for a whole arc and he stays together with killua and gon for a long time there.
    Melody - she is the reason i made the topic, Man ever since I first came in touch with the series I always wanted to know more about her past and the Dark Sonata.
    Before the bashing begins I know that togashi couldn't explore all the sub characters and he could have chosen to save their stories for later, BUT with all this story of dark continent and the chimeras I feel that we may never know about them anymore...
    Come on Togashi forget the Dark continent and make a arc with melody's story

2. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Cinnabar's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sub-Characters loose ends

Well... He did show Zepile trying to partake in the Hunter Exam, and we see other Hunters like Satotz during the election. He also reintroduced Pokkle and Ponzu in the Ant arc. XD

I don't know. On one hand, I do want to learn more about the side characters. On the other, I also don't mind if Togashi doesn't show us more about them and just lets our imagination do the work. I also like how he doesn't give us anything, but then he gives bits and pieces of the other characters are doing every now and then (like what I have said above). He could always reintroduce some of the characters again.

For example, the characters are only a few months away from the next Hunter Exam so maybe he'll show us some of the side characters there. Maybe he'll reintroduce Menchi and Buhara when we get to the Dark Continent. Who knows?

4. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member mrsticky005's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I get the feeling that whatever happens with the Dark Continent it will affect EVERYONE.

The election arc shows Togashi at least hasn't forgotten them.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member TheAmericandream's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

It's a Togashi tradition to me, introducing cool things on the side like Battle Olympia or Dark Sonata,and moving on. I guess I've just gotten used to this. We can all admit its better then Akira Toriyama in Dragonball, how he likes to have characters like Yamcha, Puar, Oolong, Tenshinhan, Kamesennen and so many others stay around in the main cast and become more and more useless. For some reason it hurts more to have a character become white noise then to cast them off and do nothing with them.
    Freddy? ....No, HISOKA!!-Agon's famous last words.

7. Like 6 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

I LIKE the way that characters just disappear. It's like a living, breathing world, where different people who get together for one thing go off and do their own stuff. Hunters all specialize in their own stuff and seek their own path, however esoteric their specialty is. Damn even Tonpa is living the good life, hunting the the good hunt - his hunt. Perhaps that's a theme in HxH - the beauty of people reach for something that they really want deep down inside, whether its cooking, archaeology or whatever.

9. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 5 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member riniloves's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Tackles so much about everything...

Spoiler: My opinion: show

11. Like 4 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Uriel's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Reading all this made me anxious and wanting for more!! Damn you Togashi.

And well, I like as was said that it's like this due the fact that makes it more believable...As if the story breathes all the time and you have a vibrant world out there. knowing everything makes you feel IN a story because you somewhat can predict new behaviors. But in HxH part of the secret why it's so good is that you can't predict what will gonna happen and that directly relates with the characters and how they evolve...Either you can see it or not.
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames
    looks like the entrance to hell
    'Perfect', the captain said.

13. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member mrsticky005's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't necessarily want everyone involved with Gon but I think a sorta...

MEANWHILE AT HEAVENS ARENA...

would be cool.

Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow so many replies so soon :O
    I agree with you Uriel that it makes the world he created a lot more amazing, but my fear is that he never finishes those stories that he started... I know that is a silly fear but this whole big dark continent stuff seems so unnecessary as the world we knew before had already so many unexplored plots.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member futurefrog's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

To me the fact that he does this makes the world of HxH feel all the more real to me. It feels as though even though we aren't watching, these characters are off still living, laughing, crying, suffering, achieving, all without our eyes upon them and that's not bad, that's real. If I go to bed at night, does that mean that MrSticky stops posting on this forum while I'm sleeping? No he keeps on living and going, so do these characters. It's really an amazingly real world he has crafted. Togashi is brilliant really.

"If you want to understand someone, find out what makes them angry."

Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by futurefrog View Post
    To me the fact that he does this makes the world of HxH feel all the more real to me. It feels as though even though we aren't watching, these characters are off still living, laughing, crying, suffering, achieving, all without our eyes upon them and that's not bad, that's real. If I go to bed at night, does that mean that MrSticky stops posting on this forum while I'm sleeping? No he keeps on living and going, so do these characters. It's really an amazingly real world he has crafted. Togashi is brilliant really.
    Yep thats why he can make all these Hiatuses and we keep waiting
    If we see a arc only for leorio then all my fears will be gone, but that doesn't mean I will forget you Melody

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

It seems like he is creating an RPG scenario

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member riniloves's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Leorio needs to be a doctor soon, we need his skills in dark continent arc!!!
    *yes I am praying for time skip, mature Gon (not macho), Killua, Kurapika....

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't really feel anything about the sub characters in HXH because knowing Togashi's history I know all of them will just turn out to be at best fanfiction material because he's never going to have the time to go over every interesting thing he started. I'm not talking about say whether we'll ever see the Battle Olympia happen. It's more like will we ever know who Gon's mother is? Well maybe 15 years after the fact she's first mentioned (it took 10 years between Leorio's second to last appearance to his last appearance). His sub characters are interesting, but he doesn't take care of them which gives me very little motivation to care about them as well. It also bothers me that Togashi clearly draws in a way to purposely avoid making the vast majority of female characters attractive. If you see someone attractive in HXH, she's either about to die or she's going to turn out to be a guy. I find that rather insulting. It's almost as if being good looking, if you're a female, is a sin in HXH.

---------- Post added at 01:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 AM ----------

I guess I should give an example of how Togashi abuses his sub characters. Let's take Machi. She's fairly attractive, and was like #6 in the character voting. She's a capable fighter, and she seems to occupy the "Kuroro's girl" role. She's a senior member of the Spiders, and Hisoka is definitely interested in her. There's a subtle friction between Shizuku and Machi that's hinted in the Yorknew arc (when Shizuku knocked out Nobunaga, Machi looked at her with disapproval). So far, she has managed to avoid the sad fate of:

1. Getting brutally murdered.
    2. Turns out to be a guy.

So what's a character with relatively high plot importance and meaningful combat power doing? Well right now I'd say there's a good chance she'll pull a '10 real life years since last appearance' that Leorio did. We're not talking about a minor character like Neon who only has a cute face and no real plot importance here. It seems certain that Machi would be involved in any confrontation between Hisoka and Kuroro and she's banished to the limbo, because Togashi seems to refuse to allow any attractive female character to show up. And for sub characters, she's actually doing pretty well. It's not like Pitou who had BOTH of these fates happen!
    Last edited by Phantron; September 30, 2012 at 01:28 AM.

21. Like 5 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Uriel's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Wait, wait...You consider Pitou good looking? o_O
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames
    looks like the entrance to hell