Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/7/14 - 7/13/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 502 by kewl0210 , Bleach 588 (2)
New Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Toriko 209 Discussion Thread

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member jupzter's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Toriko 209 Spoiler Thread

Quote Originally Posted by winterwyrm View Post
    I really wish he had taken the plunge, but I suppose he does need to save some things for the GW after all, I'm glad teppei is back, but he probably doesn't have a lot left to contribute to the story, plus this is kind of a fakeout, which I really just don't like in general.

Yeah dude kinda disappointing the last 2 pages were really unexpected and gruesome... Then it turn out to be just an intimidation... Now every character death would be a fake out...

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
    Country
    Mariejoa
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, it's not as bad as you think.
    Teppei is one of the most popular characters in Toriko manga, so him dieing here without an actual point and reason would have been strange. Also, the point to show such an enormous intimidation was to show how strong Teppei's opponent was. We should also take in consideration how strong Teppei is, so to make him out for 3 days with just Ikkaku Knocking... his opponent should be a monster.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member winterwyrm's Avatar
    Country
    Imperium of Mankind
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge D. Dragon View Post
    Well, it's not as bad as you think.
    Teppei is one of the most popular characters in Toriko manga, so him dieing here without an actual point and reason would have been strange. Also, the point to show such an enormous intimidation was to show how strong Teppei's opponent was. We should also take in consideration how strong Teppei is, so to make him out for 3 days with just Ikkaku Knocking... his opponent should be a monster.

Ah, but the point could have been shown later on you know, him dying may have been a huge catalyst for change later on in the manga, and it may have made an incredible flashback later on in the manga, we haven't seen the limit of what he can do yet, and he may have even improved more since the century soup arc, perhaps later on in the manga a flashback may have revealed him being at a different level entirely, and that he was on par with some of the strongest, and would make for an excellent and much anticipated fight some time later on. Well I'm not one to question the mangaka's artistic vison, but I think this was a letdown, still good, but this chapter could have put toriko up with the big three manga, depending on how he played his cards in this chapter, and I think he did a good job, but fell short of that mark according to the spoiler. He could have done something really really amazing this chapter, instead it's just going to be brushed off and not reread much, like a filler chapter.

Don't get me wrong, I like the chapter, it's just not quite knocking it out of the park, you know one of those moments that people refer back to years later in these forums and such

edit: that guy really really looks like joa btw
    Last edited by winterwyrm; October 24, 2012 at 06:48 AM.

Country
    Mariejoa
    Post Thanks / Like

I understand your point.
    Still, I can't agree at least with comparison with Big Three shonens. Especially since Naruto went seriously down since the begining of the War. Of course it still has tons of fans, but not as much as before. I mostly read it only because I want to learn what is going to happen in the end. The same Bleach also fluctuates in terms of quality quite often even in the last chapters.

P.S. About how Shimabakuro handled Teppei's case, well of course it might be reffered differently due to the difference in tastes as some people like more deaths in the manga, some like other things. But as for me I don't think it was handled not that good. I think it was great, especially since he managed to attract that much attention due to the previous chapter's cliffhanger.
    Hope he will continue doing something like this in the upvoming Arcs.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member jupzter's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge D. Dragon View Post
    I understand your point.
    Still, I can't agree at least with comparison with Big Three shonens. Especially since Naruto went seriously down since the begining of the War. Of course it still has tons of fans, but not as much as before. I mostly read it only because I want to learn what is going to happen in the end. The same Bleach also fluctuates in terms of quality quite often even in the last chapters.

P.S. About how Shimabakuro handled Teppei's case, well of course it might be reffered differently due to the difference in tastes as some people like more deaths in the manga, some like other things. But as for me I don't think it was handled not that good. I think it was great, especially since he managed to attract that much attention due to the previous chapter's cliffhanger.
    Hope he will continue doing something like this in the upvoming Arcs.

Well I don't really like characters death but if your going to pull something like that make it real... I mean most of us at least 80% thought it was real it was masterfully done and somehow it makes the manga unpredicatable ... I doubt he can pull it again on other arcs with the death troll or something...

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

it was a masterpiece if it would be real..

so its such a epic troll move ... i guesse he couldnt go throu with it...

but o wellit would be soooo grusome and art in one move that it would be a epic offscreen dead....

SAD (and that comes from one who realy like teppei
    --
    The Mangas i like:

One Piece; Naruto;
    Hajami no Ippo; Hunter x Hunter;
    Beelzebub; Toriko; Fairy Tail
    Bleach; Hitman Reborn; Gantz

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting Chapter

Though I would like to see Gourmet Cells upgrade after consuming the four beast

Also I don't think the villian is Joa because

-Wearing different shoes (normally in action shounen manga characters are consistent in what they wear)
    -If Joa is this powerful, they would not need to avoid meeting Toriko/Zebra/Undeground Gambling Head Chef)

I speculate the following feature of this villian

- It cannot be a member of the Bishoku-kai, otherwise it would have helped the four beast fight the four heavenly King
    - It is someone who does not want to be seen (as evident in this chapter), in this case it could be a higher up of Jidal Kingdom (as Joa and King of the Jidal have avoided Toriko/Zebra), they want secrecy
    - Acacia/Frohze, maybe they gained immortality after eating God, and would like to eat the ingredients again. Or it can be one of their secret disciplines. Surely Acacia must have a secret disciple!!
    - Advanced/Evolved Nitro who wants to hide it's appearance to prevent everyone from pursuing him.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member VashDaStampede's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

So it was intimidation...WHEW!!! And I did picture Teppei's head waking up in that bowl of salad last week, even though it lasted only a second. I just thought that would've been a little too weird. But I like the way it was done. And if the author continues with the creativity he has been so far, I don't think we're gonna get any more death cliffhangers of that magnitude. If anything we may get someone laid out and bloody, but we all know that could mean anything.

I hope Komatsu's intimidation gets to that level one day. He's making leaps and bounds with his chef skills...88th! He even beat out his boy who joined sides with the Bishokukai, Ootake. I really hope he steps it up on the physical side soon.

9. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Zangetsu01's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

11. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Mariejoa
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, such strong Ikkaku Knocking like the one showed by this mysterious person derives from a strength a person possess, thus in order to get to a such level of intimidation Komatsu needs to become at least as strong as pre-Food Honour Toriko overall.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Bowser's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

" I don't think that anyone besides Master...
    can revive wild beasts at the class of the Four Beast!!"

Well isn't that interesting?

And omg that 'knife'!?!? That's insane! I wonder who made the first knife for Frohze D:?

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Bulgaria
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, guys! So glad my prediction/theory for the intimidation turned out right. I do acknowledge the fact that it would have been quite a remarkable move from the author if he somehow managed to go through with it, however, I am also relieved that things won't escalate so quickly, because that is definetely what was going to happen if Teppei really died. I am quite curious why Pukin mentiones that the scar on Teppei's face grew, why does she look so concern about it? Also... DAMN! What a knife from Melk I, this is one of the top weapons I have seen so far in any manga... Also Mansam (Handsome)'s expression on page 13, he looks so strong on it, but as we know ranking in this manga really means something, 3d strongest in IGO is remarkable. Komatsu's ranking is also so symbolic as mentioned by someone. I really hope that he could also cultivate not only his cooking skills, but that would be out of his character, the humble cheff giving all his gratitude to the ingridients, that is why the ingridients like him, because he lacks the ego, which comes from power. Looking forward to the next chapter!

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member dex's Avatar
    Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

im soooo happppieeeee first 2 pages i was like WTF..this is going too far...but then next page

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Buggy's Avatar
    Country
    Andorra
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah Teppei is alive, it was intimidation after all:P Not sure if that is good or bad for the story (i think it's ok), it is certainly consistent with what we've seen so far intimidation can do.

It seems Chief Mansam's strength is confirmed, I was waiting for that.

Knife completed LOOOOOOL, shouldn't expect anything less from Toriko manga:P:P

Finally - Komatsu the 88th, you deserved it mate

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member obamamania's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

It wasn't quite intimidation like we expected, it was a dream of it meaning it actually was still the aftermath of their confrontation, just not the result we expected which is why I'm ok with it. I would have felt more trolled if it was intimidation, going right back to their fight at the start of the chapter in which it could have still ended badly at the end of this chapter. We basically started off not only with a more calming conclusion, but also a new character introduction (the last gourmet treasure), and ended the chapter with Komatsu's promotion. Only thing though, no angry grandpa rampage =[

New Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast