Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/15/14 - 9/21/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2)

View Poll Results: What's the BEST manga!!?

Voters
139. You may not vote on this poll
  • NARUTO-ナルト

    17 12.23%
  • BLEACH-ブリーチ

    16 11.51%
  • ONE PIECE-ワンピース

    70 50.36%
  • gintama-銀魂

    13 9.35%
  • REBORN

    23 16.55%
  • eye shield21-アイシールド21

    20 14.39%
  • trouble-TO LOVEる

    4 2.88%
  • prince of tennis-テニスの王子様

    3 2.16%
  • kochikame-こち亀

    3 2.16%
  • D.Gray-man

    15 10.79%
  • DRAGON BALL-ドラゴンボール

    28 20.14%
  • yu yu hakusho-幽遊白書

    13 9.35%
  • SLAM DUNK

    15 10.79%
  • rurou ni kenshin-るろうに剣心

    17 12.23%
  • Dr.Slump-ドクタースランプ

    4 2.88%
  • BLACK CAT

    6 4.32%
  • hikaru no go-ヒカルの碁

    9 6.47%
  • shaman king-シャーマンキング

    8 5.76%
  • HUNTER HUNTER

    21 15.11%
  • hokuto no ken-北斗の拳

    3 2.16%
  • ichigo 100%-いちご100%

    2 1.44%
  • bobobo-bobo-bobo -ボボボーボボーボボ

    5 3.60%
  • zan-斬

    3 2.16%
  • SKET DANCE

    5 3.60%
  • PSYREN

    16 11.51%
  • BARIHAKEN-バリハケン

    4 2.88%
  • busou renkin-武装練金

    4 2.88%
  • Muhyo to Rōjī no Mahōritsu Sōdan Jimusho-ムヒョとロージー

    5 3.60%
  • Pyū to Fuku! Jaguar-ピューと吹くジャガー

    4 2.88%
  • other..... その他

    21 15.11%
Multiple Choice Poll.
New Reply
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 70

Thread: All-time Favorite Series from Weekly Shounen JUMP

  1. #46
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member redcometfm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wish it were Los Angeles. Soon, very soon.
    Country
    Portugal
    Age
    26
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    711
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: BEST WSJ MANGA!!!

    My mistake about the chapter numbers. However, I do feel that Oda pulls anything out of his ass that he can (that he thinks will be cool, and I guess so do others) and just throws it on the page, keeping the story going and going. To be honest, certain manga are not meant to go on and on. For example, Hajime no Ippo. Sure its probably a great series, but did it really have to go on for 80 volumes? good god. But to get back on point, because of Oda's lax storytelling style, his material suffers extremely. I suffered through the first 140 chapters and gave up. Now I cant imagine how much worse its gotten.

    BUT for some reason, japanese people and others around the world like this kind of manga. To me, its become Tv quality, essentially dumbed-down entertainment. Naruto goes in that route in certain moments (particularly its first half) but it picked itself back up.

    I personally don't like to waste my time on trash material. I try to give things a fair chance. I gave One Piece a chance. I gave Reborn a chance. I gave D. Gray Man and Prince of Tennis a chance. Even Hikaru no Go! It was brilliant in its first volume but then it went to cliche lets-team-up mode with cookie-cutter characters. The series that have truly proven themselves have been Kenshin, Yu Yu Hakusho, Hunter X Hunter, Bleach, and Dragon Ball. Death Note almost, if only it had ended where it should have and you all know what moment that is (cough*L*cough).

    Some of you may balk at the inclusion of Dragon Ball as elite manga but with some other manga, I dont see the subtle yet deep development of its characters. Sure, Goku's growth stops after a while, but at a certain point, the main character will reach his growth peak and then begin to affect those around him in greater deal and because of that there are some powerful moments in Dragon Ball.

    There are moments like that in Naruto and especially early on in Bleach (really good moments there) but they dont live up to DB. One Piece attempts drama but its so half-assed/melo-drama/thinly thought out/simplistic. The only thing I can possibly give it credit for is maybe the inclusion of Ussop's father (right?) in CP9.

    Again I see blind fanaticism (ala Firefly/Serenity, LOTR trilogy) in something so trashy and I cant understand why something that is obviously so much better be completely ignored. Its baffling, truly fucking baffling. I dare any of you read the entire Dragon Ball manga and tell me that that shit does not reach epic great levels of Greek mythology.

    I could give a shit less of how cool fights look in manga, Im a story-first person and thats also part of why I cant understand this ridiculous fandom of One Piece.

    Whatever, though. Im sure many of you will bash and argue that One Piece is so amazing and better than all WSJ titles and whatnot and I realize Ill probably never win with you. (shrugs)

  2. #47
    Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Assymilum's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Country
    Indonesia
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    602
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: BEST WSJ MANGA!!!

    Reborn. A story doesn't need a hell lots of chapters to be outstanding. It just needs an interesting plotline.

  3. #48
    Scanlator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Maxy Barnard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    England
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Age
    24
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,599
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: BEST WSJ MANGA!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by redcometfm View Post
    My mistake about the chapter numbers. However, I do feel that Oda pulls anything out of his ass that he can (that he thinks will be cool, and I guess so do others) and just throws it on the page, keeping the story going and going. To be honest, certain manga are not meant to go on and on. For example, Hajime no Ippo. Sure its probably a great series, but did it really have to go on for 80 volumes? good god. But to get back on point, because of Oda's lax storytelling style, his material suffers extremely. I suffered through the first 140 chapters and gave up. Now I cant imagine how much worse its gotten.

    BUT for some reason, japanese people and others around the world like this kind of manga. To me, its become Tv quality, essentially dumbed-down entertainment. Naruto goes in that route in certain moments (particularly its first half) but it picked itself back up.

    I personally don't like to waste my time on trash material. I try to give things a fair chance. I gave One Piece a chance. I gave Reborn a chance. I gave D. Gray Man and Prince of Tennis a chance. Even Hikaru no Go! It was brilliant in its first volume but then it went to cliche lets-team-up mode with cookie-cutter characters. The series that have truly proven themselves have been Kenshin, Yu Yu Hakusho, Hunter X Hunter, Bleach, and Dragon Ball. Death Note almost, if only it had ended where it should have and you all know what moment that is (cough*L*cough).

    Some of you may balk at the inclusion of Dragon Ball as elite manga but with some other manga, I dont see the subtle yet deep development of its characters. Sure, Goku's growth stops after a while, but at a certain point, the main character will reach his growth peak and then begin to affect those around him in greater deal and because of that there are some powerful moments in Dragon Ball.

    There are moments like that in Naruto and especially early on in Bleach (really good moments there) but they dont live up to DB. One Piece attempts drama but its so half-assed/melo-drama/thinly thought out/simplistic. The only thing I can possibly give it credit for is maybe the inclusion of Ussop's father (right?) in CP9.

    Again I see blind fanaticism (ala Firefly/Serenity, LOTR trilogy) in something so trashy and I cant understand why something that is obviously so much better be completely ignored. Its baffling, truly fucking baffling. I dare any of you read the entire Dragon Ball manga and tell me that that shit does not reach epic great levels of Greek mythology.

    I could give a shit less of how cool fights look in manga, Im a story-first person and thats also part of why I cant understand this ridiculous fandom of One Piece.

    Whatever, though. Im sure many of you will bash and argue that One Piece is so amazing and better than all WSJ titles and whatnot and I realize Ill probably never win with you. (shrugs)
    *facepalms* you really are a rambling troll of one piece aren't you? you're a 'story-first' person, yet you say you like bleach and dragon ball, who both lay out story thinly on the ground outside of the fighting sequences.

    I mean if you've actually READ one piece and have a grip on any of the plot line you can say it has no story, and whilst people would disagree (be it fanboy or not) we'd accept that you just didn't find the same level of enjoyment from it, but without that you'll just make people smirk with what you assume about it. as such your opinion is nigh on void and you're pretty much a fanboy.

    One of my favourite series is a gag manga called Pyuu to Fuku! Jaguar. The plot is in tiny day to day pieces and what developments there are are quickly turned into entertaining gags. yet i'd hold my head up and say its excellent despite that cause that makes it work. A lack of thought provoking plot in an action manga however is a kick in it's own face (see Bleach's HM arc, or Dragon ball's........ well, we'll call it the Z arc.).

    Greek mythos? have you even read up on that? that shit is varied and deep. You see blind fanaticism? we see worse. we see a fanboy spouting in an attempt to protect their own opinion of a series. Fine, look at dragon ball as being the greatest literary triumph since The Divine Comedy. That's fine in itself. But to get in such a hubbub because the internet isn't agreeing with you as much as you'd like just shows that niggling doubt in your mind that dragonball might well not be the best manga in WSJ.

    But that's just me rambling on like a pain in the arse countering your fun. I suppose my most important thing to state here is that when DB came out it may well have been great, but manga has made some great developments in every category it has shone in since, and many things have the potential to beat it. It's inevitable.

    [/end oversized ramble] Sorry for the length of all this, I attempt to critique what i can (former 'columnist' syndrome) and it tends to take up space

  4. #49
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member redcometfm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wish it were Los Angeles. Soon, very soon.
    Country
    Portugal
    Age
    26
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    711
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: BEST WSJ MANGA!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Noodles Loves You View Post
    *facepalms* you really are a rambling troll of one piece aren't you? you're a 'story-first' person, yet you say you like bleach and dragon ball, who both lay out story thinly on the ground outside of the fighting sequences.

    I mean if you've actually READ one piece and have a grip on any of the plot line you can say it has no story, and whilst people would disagree (be it fanboy or not) we'd accept that you just didn't find the same level of enjoyment from it, but without that you'll just make people smirk with what you assume about it. as such your opinion is nigh on void and you're pretty much a fanboy.

    One of my favourite series is a gag manga called Pyuu to Fuku! Jaguar. The plot is in tiny day to day pieces and what developments there are are quickly turned into entertaining gags. yet i'd hold my head up and say its excellent despite that cause that makes it work. A lack of thought provoking plot in an action manga however is a kick in it's own face (see Bleach's HM arc, or Dragon ball's........ well, we'll call it the Z arc.).

    Greek mythos? have you even read up on that? that shit is varied and deep. You see blind fanaticism? we see worse. we see a fanboy spouting in an attempt to protect their own opinion of a series. Fine, look at dragon ball as being the greatest literary triumph since The Divine Comedy. That's fine in itself. But to get in such a hubbub because the internet isn't agreeing with you as much as you'd like just shows that niggling doubt in your mind that dragonball might well not be the best manga in WSJ.

    But that's just me rambling on like a pain in the arse countering your fun. I suppose my most important thing to state here is that when DB came out it may well have been great, but manga has made some great developments in every category it has shone in since, and many things have the potential to beat it. It's inevitable.

    [/end oversized ramble] Sorry for the length of all this, I attempt to critique what i can (former 'columnist' syndrome) and it tends to take up space
    Ive read 140 chapters of One Piece and it was still utter tosh to me. I gave it MORE than a chance, wouldn't you say? Some mangas only run for that long.

    Of course I wouldnt expect much from a gag manga. Duh. And you're putting words in my mouth, I never said it was the greatest literary triumph since the Divine Comedy. Dont argue me on false points. It makes people smirk.

    Its not that the internet isn't agreeing with me, its just I deal with many stupid people here at home that think they know what theyre talking about and proclaim One Piece so amazing and squeel with glee about it. But the internet could be said to be the same. Its all just incomprehensible to me.

    I dont think anything's beaten it yet. Nothing's acquired the same..."magic"...that special touch that DB had. And that's not fanboyism, there's just something about it.

  5. #50
    Scanlator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Maxy Barnard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    England
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Age
    24
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,599
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: BEST WSJ MANGA!!!

    I was exaggerating your point to help state how foolish your statement was comparing it to greek mythology. It's not a false point as much as a mocking statement.

    And whilst with most 140 would be suitable, i can admit wholeheartedly that early one piece is just to establish setting and characters, rather than the usual approach of throwing all the characters in immedia res (wait is that used right? can't remember ah well) you barely hooked into one of the overlying plots (and indeed the plot that hooked a lot of people in) the alabaster arc. Though in all fairness Oda then did Skypiea, a moment i find weak, i still find everything outside of that as some of the best storylines about (especially the Water Seven/cp9 arc). Whilst Dragonball had a solid story going with Piccolo Daimou, outside of that the stories jsut don't feel all that exciting.

    Actually scratch some of that, The Daimou Arc IS the best moment in dragonball as a whole.

    The magic touch thing is something i've heard others go on about, be it with dragonball or other stuf they've grown up with. it's hard to get past (i myself still see Space Adventure Cobra (the movie) and Gundam Wing as the best anime of all time, or i used to think of Shaman King as an unbeatable manga pre everything fucking up) but there are usually bigger and better things out there. ya know, the bigger fish stuff. there's always one, it's just about the personal enjyoment found in it that elevates it to that magic 'number 1' spot.

    Well if we think of it like that stuff like this poll is pointless. Opinions are subjective....... or objective..... whichever is the one i want (mixes shit up a lot)(and swears too much) and as such each are to their own. Though we can have a bloody good debate about it XD

  6. #51
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member redcometfm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wish it were Los Angeles. Soon, very soon.
    Country
    Portugal
    Age
    26
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    711
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: BEST WSJ MANGA!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Noodles Loves You View Post
    I was exaggerating your point to help state how foolish your statement was comparing it to greek mythology. It's not a false point as much as a mocking statement.

    And whilst with most 140 would be suitable, i can admit wholeheartedly that early one piece is just to establish setting and characters, rather than the usual approach of throwing all the characters in immedia res (wait is that used right? can't remember ah well) you barely hooked into one of the overlying plots (and indeed the plot that hooked a lot of people in) the alabaster arc. Though in all fairness Oda then did Skypiea, a moment i find weak, i still find everything outside of that as some of the best storylines about (especially the Water Seven/cp9 arc). Whilst Dragonball had a solid story going with Piccolo Daimou, outside of that the stories jsut don't feel all that exciting.

    Actually scratch some of that, The Daimou Arc IS the best moment in dragonball as a whole.

    The magic touch thing is something i've heard others go on about, be it with dragonball or other stuf they've grown up with. it's hard to get past (i myself still see Space Adventure Cobra (the movie) and Gundam Wing as the best anime of all time, or i used to think of Shaman King as an unbeatable manga pre everything fucking up) but there are usually bigger and better things out there. ya know, the bigger fish stuff. there's always one, it's just about the personal enjyoment found in it that elevates it to that magic 'number 1' spot.

    Well if we think of it like that stuff like this poll is pointless. Opinions are subjective....... or objective..... whichever is the one i want (mixes shit up a lot)(and swears too much) and as such each are to their own. Though we can have a bloody good debate about it XD
    Well I figured as much that it was mockery.

    Alot of people have bitched at me for not sticking through until Alabastar but I just couldnt hack it anymore. And thats three years worth of material. If you can't get your story straight or write it well within that time, then Im not going to bother with the rest of it, even if it improves dramatically, because its still shite storytelling. Im sorry, its just pathetic that you cant start writing a story well (at WSJ) until three years into the job, its ridiculous.

    I wouldn't say so. Sure Dragon Ball had some of the better arcs, Saiyan, Freeza and especially Buu Saga was really good. The only time things dragged was during Cell Saga, my least favorite as a result.

    Gundam Wing as the best anime ever? No offense man, but jesus christ, watch more anime.

    We can have a good debate about it, of course. But Im still damn pissed at the polls on this site. Or maybe its just you younger kids, your generation.

  7. #52
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Country
    United States
    Age
    24
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    583
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: BEST WSJ MANGA!!!

    Quote Quote:
    BUT for some reason, japanese people and others around the world like this kind of manga. To me, its become Tv quality, essentially dumbed-down entertainment. Naruto goes in that route in certain moments (particularly its first half) but it picked itself back up.
    *shakes head at TV comment* lol I am a fan of television, yea there is some crap on t.v. but their is also shows that are well written shows that actually make you think.........yea they get canceled because the nelsen ratings system helps kill more series then jump TOC could even imagine killing but thats not what this topic is about so i will get back on topic.

    I am a fan of One piece but I do see some of the flaws in it and the length is one of them. you mentioned another manga that IMO should have ended Hajime no Ippo, I understand that it is now a 'classic' and something that will be remembered and such but seriously will it ever end? I have only read 20 something volumes of it and while i did enjoy them i get bored reading nothing but one series and i have to emerge my self in Ippo if i ever plan on getting caught up -.-.

    I think the 'longer' a series runs the more flaws the series will have, and i believe the reason we all see the flaws in these series is because when you love something so much the little flaws become bigger. Okay done with inspirational type speech.
    TVFanOnline the podcasting home for all your television needs from Soaps to Primetime hits and even movies TFO is your one stop shop for all your TV Related podcast needs

  8. #53
    Scanlator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Maxy Barnard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    England
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Age
    24
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,599
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: BEST WSJ MANGA!!!

    18 man, i'm only two years younger than you!
    and i know gundam wing isn't the best anime ever. it's far from it. but my connection to it through my youth makes it seem better than it actually is.

    the real best anime ever is kochikame. Classic material constantly
    in fact if the scanlations were a bit better i'd give the manga a solid look

  9. #54
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Country
    United States
    Age
    24
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    583
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: BEST WSJ MANGA!!!

    Quote Quote:
    18 man, i'm only two years younger than you!
    and i know gundam wing isn't the best anime ever. it's far from it. but my connection to it through my youth makes it seem better than it actually is.

    the real best anime ever is kochikame. Classic material constantly
    in fact if the scanlations were a bit better i'd give the manga a solid look
    Their was a point when i agreed lol, Gundam wing + Dragonball Z was perfection in my eyes but then i actually started watching more and more series and found a love for others.

    KochiKame anime that good? ive never watched it now i am interested in checking it out.
    TVFanOnline the podcasting home for all your television needs from Soaps to Primetime hits and even movies TFO is your one stop shop for all your TV Related podcast needs

  10. #55
    Scanlator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Maxy Barnard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    England
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Age
    24
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,599
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: BEST WSJ MANGA!!!

    The anime movie is subbed over on crunchyroll. for a gag series it isn't too pun centric, which is a rarity nowadays. just goofy fun.
    as for the series i've only watched raws but the visual comedy breaks past my half assed knowledge of japanese.
    and of course the manga is on onemanga.

    I do exaggerate my claim as it being the best anime ever though. As a gag fan it's hard not to have heavy bias

  11. #56
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Country
    United States
    Age
    24
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    583
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: BEST WSJ MANGA!!!

    I started watching the movie and i had to force myself to stop so i could finish other things, Thanks for the suggestion, I saw that some of the manga is scanned over at onemanga but i didn't want to start something if it's not going to be actively updated so i haven't started reading it yet.
    TVFanOnline the podcasting home for all your television needs from Soaps to Primetime hits and even movies TFO is your one stop shop for all your TV Related podcast needs

  12. #57
    Banned MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    ⎳█
    Country
    North Korea
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    7,519
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: BEST WSJ MANGA!!!

    Can't believe Naruto isn't top or even in the top two.

  13. #58
    Scanlator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Maxy Barnard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    England
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Age
    24
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,599
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: BEST WSJ MANGA!!!

    Well it's funny, btu a lot of people seem to enjoy reading naruto, but are aware it's not the best wsj manga...... usualyl by a long shot by some of the stuff the anthology has/has had/will probably have in the future.

  14. #59
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member ruggia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Country
    South Korea
    Age
    22
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    447
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: BEST WSJ MANGA!!!

    wow that's a lot... i guess its counting even the completed ones...
    my vote goes to kenshin, since i love the series.....
    its a pretty tough choice actually, lots of good ones in Jump, with variety of genre

  15. #60
    Scanlator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Maxy Barnard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    England
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Age
    24
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,599
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: BEST WSJ MANGA!!!

    thats not even a lot. this is a general gist of some there've been over the years
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...%C5%8Dnen_Jump

New Reply
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts