Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by kewl0210 , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: [Webtoon] Ability by Son Jae-ho & Lee Gwang-Su

MH's Best Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

[Webtoon] Ability by Son Jae-ho & Lee Gwang-Su

Genre: Action, Adventure, Shounen, Supernatural
    Author:Son Jae-ho
    Artist:Lee Gwang-Su
    Description: Under the backdrop of a city with a mysterious killer on the loose, we are introduced to an exceptional young Cafe owner; possessing the rapidly to healing along with heightened physical abilities. When he goes out for a evening grocery run he encounters a strange looking little girl who asks to borrow his phone. He gladly obliges but, as he is appreciating the evening breeze, the girl's hat is blown off and she chases it out into traffic. He dives in front of the child and is hit by a truck. Some distance away we see a jewel crack and a shadowy figure celebrate finding "something".

What does it all mean? I guess we'll have to read to find out.

My thoughts: It definitely looks interesting. Seems like kind of an "X-Men" meets "Inuyasha" so far. Not sure if that impression is at all accurate but that's what I got from it. It's written and drawn by the same people who brought us Noblesse so it's bound to be a worthwhile read.

The fact that it's optimized for smartphones is...not ideal. For one thing that's always going to hurt image quality for PC viewers, like me; but I can understand why they'd want to try that format.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]

2. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Global Moderator 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: [Webtoon] Ability by Son Jae-ho & Lee Gwang-Su

I still don't really get why they make this "specifically" for mobile phones. Most of online readers are still PC/laptop-user anyway. Does it mean so that the comic can still be read when you're on mobile phone or what? >.<

Either way, first chapter is an introduction as usual. A kind-hearted person with special ability. Looking forward to the complications. I also hope the art will stay as good as it is now.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phio_chan View Post
    I still don't really get why they make this "specifically" for mobile phones. Most of online readers are still PC/laptop-user anyway. Does it mean so that the comic can still be read when you're on mobile phone or what? >.<

Either way, first chapter is an introduction as usual. A kind-hearted person with special ability. Looking forward to the complications. I also hope the art will stay as good as it is now.
    I don't know what's with the smartphone thing. People love their iphones and ipads, I get that, but you can always downscale artwork. You can't upscale it. Which kinda shafts those of use who use larger screens. Then again I'm old fashioned with my desktop computer and comfy computer chair.

The plot seems solid but I suppose it's pretty early to judge. Whatever direction the story takes, I'm hoping for plenty of that quirky humor that Noblesse does so well.

Custom Title 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Darjaille's Avatar
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Heh, waiting for a late Noblesse raw, I found some spare time to read Ability =)

I'm absolutely sure we'll get lots of good humor knowing the authors, the blondie seems to know how to reply in certain situations (I had a good laugh at "How are you feeling?" "I feel... bad" "..."). I like it so far, I'll continue to follow it.

I'm just a little worried for Noblesse, running two weekly series isn't a very good idea IMO. It might sound terrible but I'd rather hear that they had a minor accident or their graphic tablet broke or something than that they couldn't finish this week's Noblesse because of having two weeklies.

ex oriente lux

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

It's up to chapter 4 so far and I still haven't felt any "spark" with the series. I think it's pretty similar to how I started Noblesse so probably it's like that too this time?

The action was quite fun, although it decreased a bit since of the involved party is quickly healed from his wounds. That destroyed the balance a bit. I'm a bit curious about the bad guys and what exactly this "ability" is, so I'll stick around for more.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

It's up to chapter 4 so far and I still haven't felt any "spark" with the series. I think it's pretty similar to how I started Noblesse so probably it's like that too this time?

The action was quite fun, although it decreased a bit since of the involved party is quickly healed from his wounds. That destroyed the balance a bit. I'm a bit curious about the bad guys and what exactly this "ability" is, so I'll stick around for more.
    I'm getting the same feeling.

Though in Noblesse's case the beginning was funnier. It's not that the series is bad or anything it's just that none of the characters really distinguished themselves to me so far. The main guy seems likable, which is a fine foundation, but I feel like that's just not "enough". I'm hoping for some supporting cast to bring a little bit more to the table.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Monsterguy's Avatar
    Country
    Slovenia
    Post Thanks / Like

Please tell me the new person with the long hair in chapter 8, is actually a girl but flat chested, please...

Just look at "Ability" manhwa, chapter 8:

Spoiler show

That person's face reminds me of one of the hottest/sexy girls with perfect temparament according to my taste. Her name is Moka from "Rosario + Vampire", after she transforms into a "true vampire" !!!
    But, sadly, despite the fact that the art is amaizing in "Rosario + Vampire" (I have only watched anime but dropped manga !!!), I must say that the true story is pushed behind and fan service given more priority, what I hate there. Oh and also it's similar to "Fairy tale", because good guys always(no matter how many fights they have) win against no matter who.

Now back on the subject, look at "Moka's true form" that I was referring too, and I so adore:

Spoiler show

And when "this", not yet sealed Moka, was still young:
    Spoiler show

To sum it all, I'm in love with "the true vampire Moka's design"...

PS: I'm also in love with "Erza Scarlet" from "Fary Tale", just look why:
    Spoiler show

But although, I hate it when there are man with design that would be otherwise fit for girls, I am crossing fingers / I hope that there would be at least one person of the same/similar caliber but with boobs and a girl in this manhwa...

I say: "hope is gona die last"...

So untill that happenes, I am not going to drop this series no matter what...

The storyline also looks really interesting to me, so this is additional plus for me. But a strawberry on top of the cake, and what I also love in "Ability", is how well presented supernatural effects are !!!

PS: Because those are creators from Noblesse, I know they might surprise me some day, when I will expect it "the least"...
    Last edited by Monsterguy; December 20, 2012 at 04:00 AM. Reason: spelling
    Spoiler: sample from originally colourful manhwa Tower of God show

It never ceases to amaze me:
    "How are authors of famous manhwa / manga,... able to create such amazing works???"

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Eyes changing!

We've seen the crystal for a while now. Now it finally arises to the surface. C'mon, give me some explanatiooon~
    Is the last page intended to be a joke? I thought it was going to be an attack, but does it cause healing to the monster because the boy's ability is also a healing ability? Or what? Since it feels very strange. As if I'm looking into the other side of Raizel using his power to healing instead of attacking. :|

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm with you in spirit Monster Guy. I'm really hoping for this character to be a girl but... I don't at all trust that this won't be "king of the bishis"

Ability is certainly not a fast developing series. When I made this thread I remember feeling tempted to write "????" under description. Eight chapters later, I don't feel like I know anything more now than I did back then.

11. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Turkey
    Post Thanks / Like

Jammin, u became a translator to my feelings. After 8 chapters i still dont know whether i like this or not.

about the chapter, the new char do seem somewhat feminine and feels like M-21 when he got introduced in noblesse. why do i feel like this?

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like we all share one feeling about the series here.

I'm not sure what I've been reading so far. I don't really mind the art, the humor is sometimes funny, but the whole plot is not yet very inviting. I think Noblesse was a bit better when it started (Noblesse was my first manhwa and first webtoon so I was probably a bit biased, but still...). But I don't think I'd give up now, I'll stick around for more, hoping that it will improve.

I believe the new character is a girl, honestly.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like we all share one feeling about the series here.

I'm not sure what I've been reading so far. I don't really mind the art, the humor is sometimes funny, but the whole plot is not yet very inviting. I think Noblesse was a bit better when it started (Noblesse was my first manhwa and first webtoon so I was probably a bit biased, but still...). But I don't think I'd give up now, I'll stick around for more, hoping that it will improve.

I believe the new character is a girl, honestly.
    "He".."She"..I think I'lll go with "it". It is a straight up "girl's head on an effeminate man's body".

My expectations for this series are steadily dropping. I don't want to be too negative here, as there is still time for the story to take a turn for the better, but my hope seems more distant. Right now the series only really has one and a half characters; the protagonist and the little girl (who is almost certainly not a little girl). That's just not enough.

In Noblesse we had Frankenstien, Raizel, and Shin Woo along with all his friends by this point. When you have characters that... fun you can get away with a weak plot(which Noblesse kinda did for a while), Ability has a decent protagonist but nothing else to keep it going; something which the "super serious transsexual" didn't help.
    Last edited by Jammin; December 25, 2012 at 06:00 PM.

15. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Raws for those who want them

It seems to be getting better and more interesting every other week (i.e. chapter)
    Last edited by SQm3; January 30, 2013 at 10:22 AM. Reason: meant to say chapter not weekly

17. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member shaheer's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

BI WEELKY ? that s really sad i was hoping that it will be around for me after 7 days, no wi have to wait a fortnight. Darn
    My opinion on this manga is its definitely interesting. Hope things gets better . Any idea who the white haired scarlet dressed tranny is?
    Last edited by shaheer; January 23, 2013 at 10:49 AM.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn't know it was bi-weekly. Was it not? I wonder if they decided to turn Ability into a bi-weekly series because they want to focus on Noblesse.

We're up to chapter 11 now and why am I still not very pumped at the end of each chapter? >,< It's getting quite interesting as Yu Hwa's power is starting to awaken. It seems like there's another being or consciousness inside of him, giving him power to fight and to heal as well. The fight with the monster was rather funny with all the comments and style. Indeed from Noblesse authors, lol. I'm not very pumped yet but we'll see. It's still a small universe anyway so we're waiting to see more coming from it. <3

New Reply
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast