Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 595 (2)
New Reply

Thread: Ukimix's One Piece review: chapter 685

Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ukimix's Avatar
    Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

Ukimix's One Piece review: chapter 685

Hi there. This is my first review. I hope you like it and find it useful in your reading of the current avdentures of the Straw Hats in Punk Hazard.

Chapter 685. Mi name is Mononosuke, that it is. A review.

by Ukimix

This week Shounen Jump magazine’s cover is dedicated to One Piece. Two notes about it: first, as hoeru pointed, color selection for Ceasar Clown gas, blue in this case, is different than volume 67 cover’s one, orange. Second, Luffy’s and Ceasar composed drawing echoes the change in the mood Luffy just experimented in this chapter when he listens from Momonosuke that children are used by Ceasar as disposable guinea pigs.

In the cover we have a beautiful color spread with the Straw hats in a Halloween theme, which is a break in current covers story dedicated to Caribou. Although she was not invited to this party, those friendly and dressed up ghosts remind us of Perona.

Momonosuke is the center of a chapter that focuses his whereabouts in 12 of its 16 pages. Now we know that Momonosuke was not kidnapped: it was his choice to stow away a boat that sailed from Wano to Punk Hazard. About it, you will have to take care of differences in the translation of the key line. I will quote below a qualified comment by Aohige from APforums:

Spoiler show

Despite of his youth, little Momonosuke has something to do, (which is consistent with his decision to board a ship); and works for it, even beyond the care of his father. This shows us he is brave and has a strong self determination. To speak One Piece language, he has a powerful will, (thought we still don’t know if he has Conqueror’s haki). He seems to be a noble person capable to recognize the kindness in other people actions, and to care about them, as it happened with the kidnapped children, to whom he wants to warn about Ceasar intentions. He is proud and has learnt the traditions of his country; but it is possible that with his actions he’s been challenging them. Here we have a great and smart boy.

What could it be his objective? He could want to stay away from home or to get a major issue. Though possible, I don’t think it would be just a tantrum; it would be a terrible end for Kinemon and his son if in their final scene we see the father spanning and scolding the son for being disobedient, and then going home. In that case, all the huge events that happened to poor Momo would result in something rather accidental for such a little thing like breaking some home rules. (Aristotle pointed in his Poetics, that accidental events are not the arguments of a good drama). The plot requires major motives for Momo's decision to board a ship going away from home.

Now, we know that Wano “is a sealed-off nation, that are not even a part of World Government, and that Marines dare not venture too close” (Brook’s lines in Ch 655) to it; that Kinemon hates dragons with some bitterness; that Vegapunk has been experimenting with dragons; that Doflamingo works for the World Government, and, as it happened in the chapter, that little Momo hallucinates with this War Lord once he listen the command “Hold of yourself”. You may want to make your own prediction with all these elements… Anyway, Momonosuke’s venture may well be involved as a key piece of this fascinating puzzle.

Anyway, if Momonosuke is hallucinating with Doflamingo, we would have two possible explanations for it: or they have met each other before the last 10 days, and Momonosuke had a traumatic experience with him, or the hallucination is produced in some way for the devil fruit eaten by him.

Now, he won’t get his objective in PH. So being both in Punk Hazard, Law and Momo share a common fate: neither of them will get their goals in the island, and, to get them, very likely both of them will have to board the Thousand Sunny for a while. Will that end in the joining of a new crew member? Ask the captain.

Finally, on this part, the chapter let us be aware that Vegapunk failed in the creation of artificial devil fruits. We will see in the future why he failed and what the failure of the fruit eaten by Momonosuke is.

Now, the pages not focused on Momonosuke’s events, give us brief updates of the current battles on B and D Blocks. Law asked Luffy to kidnap Ceasar, and Luffy asked Robin who asked Ussop to get seastone chains. An interesting question here is: what is going to do Law with CC if they succeed in capture him? There is a bounty for him; so Law could hand him over to the Marine. But we still ignore who has been behind SAD production all this time; I point it because if the World Government or the Marine is behind it, to hand Ceasar over to the Marine or to the World Government would be bad strategy.

Smoker and Vergo has been hitting each other and, given the characteristics of Smoker’s devil fruit, and the punches landed in his face, we can say that Vergo has been using Armament Haki. Nobody would predict that black leg technique could be used to save the marines in that way, and Sanji should be awarded for the most original use of power ever.

In the longest update, Robin is knocked out by Monet, which is a bid disappointing, since once Robin manage to fly using her Hana Hana no mi powers, it would have been great to have an aerial battle between the two ladies. About Monet she is confirmed to be a logia user, and I would like to extend about her, a character that I particularly enjoy. That will be in the Tree of Knowledge; I will post here the link.

So, a very good chapter which makes a break in the middle of current fighting actions to present us maybe the last character introduced in the arc.

Credits: Images taken from Mangapanda, Mangastream, Mangarule and Wiki. Credits to cnet128 for the translation of Brook's lines. Thanks to hoeru, Razh and Rody Naruto for their comments and discussions in chapter 685 thread. Many lines come from our discussions there.
    Last edited by ukimix; October 28, 2012 at 12:44 PM.

2. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 5 Member(s) likes this post
    Intl Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Lord Rayleigh's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ukimix's One Piece review: chapter 685

I don't think it's by chance that a samurai's kid was drawn to Punk Hazard where they were Vegapunk's dragons. There must have a reason for a Wano Kuni's kid to get on the boat who reached the dragon's place - Mononosuke said himself it was unavoidable for him to get on the boat.

I guess Mononosuke saw a dragon inland taking away kids, chased after him and later found out that the kids that were kidnapped were on the boat. In order to find the dragons, he decided to sneak in the boat, and ended up on Punk Hazard. Btw it's likely the kid didn't even meet with the island's dragons after his arrival.

Anyway, I doubt Mononosuke may have seen a dragon or reached the boat on Wano Kuni. Brook said Wano Country was a closed country with strong samurais protecting the island so I don't think any boat or dragon could have reached the island. So the question is how did Mononosuke end up on a kidnapping island ?

He and Kinemon were either on a trip in the New World - maybe for an important unknown reason - or Mononosuke was already on this island because he was chasing after the dragons and had a clue about the link between this island and the dragon beings.

Vegapunk's dragons may have been used to kidnap children and some storytelling began running through Wano Country that some dragons on a certain area captured kids - remember the dragon beaten by Kinemon and Brook was used as a flying machine, so it can be used to transport people.

That would explain Kinemon's words about this being a parent's revenge. He knew Mononosuke wanted to leave Wano Kuni in order to look after these mysterious dragons, and that's what eventually happened.

Mononosuke left Wano by himself or it's even possible he left with Kinemon who wanted to proove there was no dragon, and that's when the kid eventually got on the boat after seeing a dragon while his father wasn't around. That's how Kinemon knew about his kid's hunting.
    Last edited by Lord Rayleigh; October 23, 2012 at 04:00 PM.

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! mattiaildivino's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

nice review,since you are a rookie .
    @Lord rayleigh,are you sure that the dragon was a flying machine? if it had been a machine,how could they have eaten it? . it was created,that's right, but that doesn't mean it was a robot

6. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Intl Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Lord Rayleigh's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mattiaildivino View Post
    nice review,since you are a rookie .
    @Lord rayleigh,are you sure that the dragon was a flying machine? if it had been a machine,how could they have eaten it? . it was created,that's right, but that doesn't mean it was a robot
    I actually said it was used as a flying machine, not that it was a flying machine, so I've made the difference clear. I know very well that the dragon is alive and made of flesh and blood and not in itself a flying machine.

And even if I had said it was a flying machine - what I didn't - it wouldn't have meant what you said. It would have been all about the flying's machine essence - not the thing in itself - flying machine. If you live in a tree, it's your house, yet it's a tree and not a house, but you call it a house because its function is the house's essence.

The essence is the reason the thing was created to, and you call a function the same way the object whose essence it is to be that function. So to describe Ceasar's dragon's function you have to say flying machine because that function is flying machine's essence. All it means is Dragon's function in this case is the same as flying machine's.
    Last edited by Lord Rayleigh; October 25, 2012 at 01:56 PM.

8. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member jamjosef's Avatar
    Country
    Jamaica
    Post Thanks / Like

Sanji's Black leg Style isn't The power of a Devil fruit...

hes gonna open a can of whoop ass fox style

10. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ukimix's Avatar
    Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jamjosef View Post
    Sanji's Black leg Style isn't The power of a Devil fruit...
    Thanks for the correction. I added it.

New Reply