Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2) , Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Jammin's Mancave

MH's Best Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jammin's Mancave

Quote Originally Posted by TheBoss View Post
    Woaah a thread
    So jamm, a question that I always wanted to ask, you prefer ToG or Noblesse?
    The short answer would be Tower of God.

But a more complete answer would be that...

Noblesse has seemed to me to a very special series in that it applies narrative subtly to Bleach scale superhuman fights. Which creates a Bleach type experience with all the style and flair, yet makes you watch all the little things. The tiniest facial expressions can apply such meaning to a scene and I love that about it.

Tower of God is such a brilliantly written character driven story. You have all these characters who are nothing alike and the way the author brings all of that together with amazing dialogue and characterizations throughout the course of climbing the tower makes it hard to beat. Measuring chapter per chapter it's hands down the best story I've read. It's done more in 117 chapters than most series ever manage.

Quote Originally Posted by Josef K. View Post
    GutsxFarnese as well! Recent chapters are in our favor man!
    I'd love it if it did. I have nothing against Casca but..

GutsXCasca =
    GutsXFarnese =

I mean, I got nothing but pity for the character but she's been a fruit loop since before I started reading manga so there just isn't any emotional connection there for me.
    Last edited by Jammin; August 24, 2013 at 05:03 PM.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]

2. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    The Green Knight MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Gats's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
    I like fantasy or magic themed stories where the hero gets put through the ringer. I like it when a story is about a character prevailing when the whole world, except for his friends, seem set against him(or her) and for them to fight tooth and nail every step of the way. But I especially like it when it achieves all of that without going emo crazy anywhere along the line.
    Not sure what you mean by going emo crazy but the Wheel of Time serie by Robert Jordan is totally for you then. Just bear the 1st book if I remember well enough.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M3J View Post
    What games do you have for PS3?
    Currently on my shelf are Borderlands 1, Borderlands 2, Red Dead Redemption, Dragons Dogma, Rune Factory Tides of Destiny, The Uncharted Games, and Disgaea 4

Why Swamp of the Underworld?
    Because it's the kinda thing that once made Naruto special. It's not an overpowering technique but used at the right moment, by the right shinobi, it's a game changer. If you think about it, theoretically it should pwn Susannoo.

Do you touch those men?
    No sir, their is a strict code that applies to gym locker rooms; Eyes front and no touching. (The same code applies to mens bathrooms)

Quote Originally Posted by benelori
    CASKA CASKA!!!...

About FPS...unfortunately the gameplay is what puts me off...if it would be 3rd person I would consider it...I saw the Bioshock trailer recently and I was like...
    That's a shame. Not even Skyrim?

Quote Originally Posted by Gats
    Not sure what you mean by going emo crazy but the Wheel of Time serie by Robert Jordan is totally for you then. Just bear the 1st book if I remember well enough.
    I've read it all and am awaiting the final book. Though Egwene is right up there with Sasuke for me on characters whom I loath. Her whole plot thread is a waste of time IMO. Time that should have been devoted to the awesomeness of Mat!

And I would define "emo crazy" as....

"A character going through an emotional reaction exceeding what his amount of suffering would warrant."

Rand does quite a bit of that toward the later books but, in his defense, he's legitimately insane

Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

In addition of his insanity issues, he had to deal with countless plots against him by the people/kingdoms he basically is trying to unite and save. So I would say he handled quite well his amount of suffering until now.

And yeah Mat FTW. Perrin has become also very enjoyable quite lately. Did you read the first chapter of the incoming book ?

Considering the huge place women are taking in this serie, who is your favorite one ?

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

My favorite books, which is the prime example of what I was talking about with putting the main character though the ringer is the Dresden Files.

Those are probably my favorite of all the novels I've read.

GOT MILLKKK? 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member 3c's Avatar
    Country
    Norway
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't read ToG, but I've heard all kinds of praise for the series. Your fellow reviewer blackjack keeps highlighting it in his "one-line reviews", often as the best series of the week to mention one example. I was thinking of reading Shingeki no Kyojin next though. Haven't been in a manga mood in ages. Picking up new series is rarely something I do these past years.

Have you read A Song of Ice and Fire by George R R Martin (the books the HBO hit Game of Thrones is based on)? The arguable main character there pretty much fits your decription for "everyone being against him" and him having to really strive to accomplish things. I don't know where your "excess emotion bar" goes, almost all major events in the books are at least partly driven by emotion, but I rarely feel like there's "over-emotion" in it. It's much more the case in the tv series than the books.
    Don't. Be. A. Steph.

Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 3c View Post
    I haven't read ToG, but I've heard all kinds of praise for the series. Your fellow reviewer blackjack keeps highlighting it in his "one-line reviews", often as the best series of the week to mention one example. I was thinking of reading Shingeki no Kyojin next though. Haven't been in a manga mood in ages. Picking up new series is rarely something I do these past years.

Have you read A Song of Ice and Fire by George R R Martin (the books the HBO hit Game of Thrones is based on)? The arguable main character there pretty much fits your decription for "everyone being against him" and him having to really strive to accomplish things. I don't know where your "excess emotion bar" goes, almost all major events in the books are at least partly driven by emotion, but I rarely feel like there's "over-emotion" in it. It's much more the case in the tv series than the books.
    Do it dude, no, Bro. You won't regret the reading, really.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gats View Post
    In addition of his insanity issues, he had to deal with countless plots against him by the people/kingdoms he basically is trying to unite and save. So I would say he handled quite well his amount of suffering until now.

And yeah Mat FTW. Perrin has become also very enjoyable quite lately. Did you read the first chapter of the incoming book ?

Considering the huge place women are taking in this serie, who is your favorite one ?
    Rand kinda gets a pass because he's inanse but generally speaking I just don't like it when the going gets tough and the protagonist breaks down. That's just not the kind of main character I like to read about.

I like both Matt and Perrin. My favorite female character is Brigette pretty easily but I like quite a few of the others too, like Perrin's wife I forget her name.

What I don't like about the wheel of time is the Aes Sendai in general. They are just so arrogant and condescending. I feel like Jordan was going for a lot of strong female characters and they came out twisted somehow and not the awesome Androssi or Azula kind of twisted.

I've read both.

To be honest, I'm not a Shingeki no Kyojin fan. It's "ok" but I haven't been at all impressed with the characters. They haven't struck me as believable, relateable, or all that interesting. Though there definitely are other schools of thought.

Tower of God is just unbelievable though. I was reluctant to get into it at first because I was afraid it would be "weird", I guess. The whole "Tower" thing just was not something I was interested in but then I started reading and... my god. It goes from good to great to wonderful in 30 chapters and gets better from there.

That's a point of contention between my friends and me actually. I've read only the first book and did not enjoy it; which, I'm told, is a form of sacrilege.

The reason being that I am such a character oriented reader. I want an author to give me characters that I can like, grow to care about, and really feel an emotional connection to. The Game of Thrones had a wide cast of characters none of whom I really liked; for me that's a deal breaker. I'd rather have one character to invest in than 8 character I don't care about. I run into this problem a lot when reading epic fantasy.
    Last edited by Jammin; October 28, 2012 at 11:45 PM.

I hate shovel 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Doraku's Avatar
    Country
    Uganda
    Post Thanks / Like

So could you tell me how did you find Gintama for the first time? It seems that you're a huge Gintama fan since a long time ago.

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
    Currently on my shelf are Borderlands 1, Borderlands 2, Red Dead Redemption, Dragons Dogma, Rune Factory Tides of Destiny, The Uncharted Games, and Disgaea 4
    Thinking about getting Black Ops 2?

Quote Quote:
    Because it's the kinda thing that once made Naruto special. It's not an overpowering technique but used at the right moment, by the right shinobi, it's a game changer. If you think about it, theoretically it should pwn Susannoo.
    True. Is it your favorite, design-wise?

Quote Quote:
    No sir, their is a strict code that applies to gym locker rooms; Eyes front and no touching. (The same code applies to mens bathrooms)
    Would you like to touch those men?

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doraku View Post
    So could you tell me how did you find Gintama for the first time? It seems that you're a huge Gintama fan since a long time ago.
    I started watching the anime completely randomly and I'm not exactly sure when that was.

Ironically, I didn't like it a first. I watched the first 10 episodes or so and kinda just pushed it aside. Later on, I got pretty bored and was really looking for something to watch so I gave it another try. By then I was a exposed enough to Japanese culture to get the jokes and enjoyed it a lot more and then I hit the Benizakura arc..and that was that..

Now I'm just blown away every week. It can go from making you howl with laughter and making you want to cry in a split second; sometimes both at the same time. I can't ever get enough.

Thinking about getting Black Ops 2?
    Not at the moment I have quite a few PC games I want to play, on top of there rapid fire borderlands expansions that keep getting released.

True. Is it your favorite, design-wise?
    It is. I've always liked Jiriaya's skills in general but swamp of the underworld is the technique that if it was in an RPG I would use all the time.

Like the grease spell in Dragon Age. Or the bramble spell in Baldurs gate.

Would you like to touch those men?
    Too vague. Give me hypothetical situation and I'll give you a hypothetical answer.
    Last edited by Jammin; October 28, 2012 at 11:47 PM.

Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

would you like to touch those men if it weren't disallowed?

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

would you like to touch those men if it weren't disallowed?
    No I would not.

Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you read Beelzebub?

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you read Beelzebub?
    I read it and like it a lot

Watching Furuichi suffer brings me untold joy.

New Reply
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast