Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Bleach 576 by cnet128
New Reply
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 113

Thread: Unohana's role in current arc

  1. #76
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Schabrak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    ( ´_ゝ`) still here
    Country
    Germany
    Age
    26
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    6,665
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Unohana is being REALLY useless right now

    That could also come from being the elder sis type of character ala Bulma or Nami. Plus being a fearsome fighter when nothing else is possible.
    Firm but Fair

  2. #77
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zehahaha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Country
    Morocco
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,268
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Unohana is being REALLY useless right now

    Quote Originally Posted by Duniak View Post
    Even Kyoraku and Ukitake adress Unohana as -senpai, so she MUST be hella strong. xd
    No I was just refering to the part of her being Kendo master, as some people assume that her swordmanship would cause the same dmg or even higher than good ol Kenpachi

    Yes she has been hyped many times being strong, I do believe that too, as for the senpai part well... It's not a suffix for someone being strong or anything like that, Senpai is like the elder student, while Kohai is the youngest student, Senpai could also mean mentor, but it's not an indicator of strenght, rather it is an indicator of seniority more or less (not totally seniority either)

  3. #78
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member dex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Alternate Reality
    Country
    India
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    359
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Unohana is being REALLY useless right now

    Quote Originally Posted by Duniak View Post
    Even Kyoraku and Ukitake adress Unohana as -senpai, so she MUST be hella strong. xd
    she has to be strong...but based on ability...when compared with respect to brute force kenpachi is among the topmost...that guy ..if he gets bankai then we all can imagine his potential ...with his crazy reiatsu and brute force mixed with an ability...

  4. #79
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Saint Markus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Country
    United States
    Age
    23
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,114
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Unohana is being REALLY useless right now

    Unohana's abilities are based on "Spirit Power" itself. Most likely, she can do all sorts of things with reiatsu. Technically, she is probably the most formidable opponent against the Quincy. Can't wait to see her Bankai in action too.

  5. #80
    MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Posts
    17,597
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Unohana is being REALLY useless right now

    Why do you say that? We really don't know what unohana's abilities are so far and her actual shikai seems to be more similar to mayuri's. I mean, the creature we saw seems to be an organic animal much like mayuri's bankai and taking in consideration how bankai works so far what would make sense is that her bankai is just a bigger and meaner version of what we already saw assuming it even has battle applications. We also know because of the databook that unohana's forte is swordsmanship when it comes to battle. Unohana is almost certainly a great kido user but the case could easily be that she has heavily specialized in healing kido and not offensive kido... Using kido is not quite enough to make unohana a perfect counter for the quincy though and even if she actually was proficient at it it does not mean it will be enough for her to be a good counter to the quincy. Realistically only extremely few characters have shown the ability to use kido successfully in battle and as far as we have seen the only ones that could actually replace their special abilities with kido would be hachi and tessai. Byakuya has used kido in battle but it has been just a few spells which add something very specific to battle and by no means comes close to replacing his abilities. Aizen was able to use high level kido but even his 90th level kido required an incantation for it to be worth something(without an incantation he barely reached a third of his true power). Urahara used a kido but when it came to battle he ended up relying heavily on his sword so I would argue he can't use kido to an extent where it would be a more practical than his sword. He is like a refined byakuya. To be completely honest I can't imagine characters other than tessai and hachi even actually having the skill to use kido in a way where it alone would pose a threat to high level quincy.

  6. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
  7. #81
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member River_Capulet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Country
    Russian Federation
    Age
    20
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    430
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Unohana is being REALLY useless right now

    I think that the best indication of Unohana's power is her confrontation with Aizen. As we've seen, he doesn't hesitate to strike down Hitsugaya or Kommamura. Yet, he withdrew when Unohana came, only accompanied by her vice captain.

  8. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  9. #82
    Little tocs-Coming Soon 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member thornofcarrion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    ...
    Country
    Pakistan
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    11,477
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Unohana is being REALLY useless right now

    No spoilers outside Spoilers thread.


    24 Hour Spoiler Rule:
    • Please keep all discussion regarding the newest chapter and its content inside the spoiler/chapter discussions until 24 hours have passed after the raw/chapter's release.
    • Please wait 24 hours before using art from new chapters in signatures and avatars.
    • The 24 hour rule will be strictly enforced. This is a courtesy rule. Not every member reads spoilers and not everyone can read new chapters as soon as they are released.



  10. #83
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Country
    United States
    Age
    25
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    127
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Unohana is being REALLY useless right now

    Quote Originally Posted by River_Capulet View Post
    I think that the best indication of Unohana's power is her confrontation with Aizen. As we've seen, he doesn't hesitate to strike down Hitsugaya or Kommamura. Yet, he withdrew when Unohana came, only accompanied by her vice captain.
    I disagree. Hitsugaya and komamura were taken out of the picture because they attacked aizen first. Unohana did not. She was also under the complete hypnosis. Aizen's main goal was to recover the hogyoku before the other captains could all assemble against him. Aizen did not attack Unohana because it was unnecessary.

  11. #84
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member River_Capulet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Country
    Russian Federation
    Age
    20
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    430
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Unohana is being REALLY useless right now

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSaiyan4 View Post
    I disagree. Hitsugaya and komamura were taken out of the picture because they attacked aizen first. Unohana did not. She was also under the complete hypnosis. Aizen's main goal was to recover the hogyoku before the other captains could all assemble against him. Aizen did not attack Unohana because it was unnecessary.
    His main goal was to recover the hogyoku before the other captains assembled. Doesn't this even more of a reason for him to neutralize Unohana and her lieutenant? Remember that right after Aizen leaves, Isane used a kido to contact all other captains of Aizen's betrayal. At that point, the only captains that were aware of Aizen's betrayal is Hitsugaya (neutralized), Unohana and Isane. If he stroke them down, the other captains wouldn't be aware of his betrayal and wouldn't be able to assemble and surround him. Uki and Kyo would probably be trashed by Yama too.

  12. #85
    MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Posts
    17,597
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Unohana is being REALLY useless right now

    Quote Originally Posted by River_Capulet View Post
    I think that the best indication of Unohana's power is her confrontation with Aizen. As we've seen, he doesn't hesitate to strike down Hitsugaya or Kommamura. Yet, he withdrew when Unohana came, only accompanied by her vice captain.
    Didn't aizen retreat when tousen used that transportation kido? I would think aizen was just expecting that from the time he just met with hitsugaya. I think that far more relevant than this would be the fact that aizen did not even consider to be among the offensive forces of the gotei 13....

  13. #86
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Country
    Singapore
    Age
    19
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    102
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Unohana is being REALLY useless right now

    Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    I think bach suggested retreating after soldat destroyed SS.

    That is also true. A few people noted byakuya's reiatsu disappearing, it is perhaps possible she simply didn't know where he was. In turn this would imply ichigo is suddenly exceptional at perceiving reiatsu around him as he was able to feel byakuya's feeble power through the raging reiatsu's battling in sereite. Back in the day just ichigo's reiatsu was enough to impede rukia from sensing a measly hollows reiatsu(plot point in the first chapters).
    It's possible while Byakuya didn't die, his Saketsu and Hakusui are already pierced (just like how Ishida dealt with Jirobo from the 7th division), leaving him without shinigami powers.

  14. #87
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Country
    United States
    Age
    25
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    127
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Unohana is being REALLY useless right now

    Quote Originally Posted by River_Capulet View Post
    His main goal was to recover the hogyoku before the other captains assembled. Doesn't this even more of a reason for him to neutralize Unohana and her lieutenant? Remember that right after Aizen leaves, Isane used a kido to contact all other captains of Aizen's betrayal. At that point, the only captains that were aware of Aizen's betrayal is Hitsugaya (neutralized), Unohana and Isane. If he stroke them down, the other captains wouldn't be aware of his betrayal and wouldn't be able to assemble and surround him. Uki and Kyo would probably be trashed by Yama too.
    Well, you have to consider that aizen was extremely prideful. And don't forget that they were all under the hypnosis. Why else waste time doing an evil monologue to a group of strangers when he felt enough leisure to do so? He didn't perceive the others as a threat. He just took out minor annoyances.

    Overall, it is more of an indication of kobo contriving the whole thing; he needed the rest of soul society to find out about aizen, so he used Unohana and isane. He couldn't take them out of commission.

    ---------- Post added at 12:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:17 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    Didn't aizen retreat when tousen used that transportation kido? I would think aizen was just expecting that from the time he just met with hitsugaya. I think that far more relevant than this would be the fact that aizen did not even consider to be among the offensive forces of the gotei 13....
    Aizen was trying to hide is power and motives (lying about his shikai abilities). Why show off when he wants to generally stay off the radar? Not to mention what he did to other captains in Karakura

  15. #88
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Kyodai Senkan Mora's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    P.Sherman 42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Country
    Kenya
    Age
    27
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    339
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Unohana is being REALLY useless right now

    Unohana is currently the most powerful captain in Soul Society. Only Aizen and Yama exceeded her battle stats (560 vs 540) in the original issue of captain powers in the manga...also Kubo in the timeskip interviews stated that Minazuki has a battle form, the creature is not how she fights, I doubt her bankai is therefore as someone hinted, a giant sting ray....she is also a kendo master. There is no question about whether she can kick ass. it's only a matter of when and who's.
    "Unless I grip the sword, I can not protect you. While gripping the sword I can not embrace you." -Tite Kubo


  16. #89
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Country
    Slovakia
    Age
    20
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,373
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Unohana is being REALLY useless right now

    Ha! The explanation's in this chapter! A kick in da face to ppl complaining that Bleach is full of plot holes and asspulls!
    REVOLUTION! FREEDOM!

    Quote Originally Posted by Bromamura View Post
    Meh can't have Bleach without fan raging, makes it fun.

  17. #90
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member River_Capulet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Country
    Russian Federation
    Age
    20
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    430
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Unohana is being REALLY useless right now

    Quote Originally Posted by 0Xellos View Post
    Ha! The explanation's in this chapter! A kick in da face to ppl complaining that Bleach is full of plot holes and asspulls!
    Uhmm... not really, this chapter only shows that the only thing held Unohana back was because of Yama's order, she herself also believe that she could have done more. Ppl were talking about how she stayed back as a reserve force or how she was busy (but not shown in the panels). There are no logical reason, even until now why she should stay back there. Sure it's Yama's order, but as long as his intentions aren't revealed, we can still questions her/

New Reply
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts