Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 507 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Unohana's role in current arc

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Unohana's role in current arc

So, is anyone else bothered by the fact that Unohana is peacefully talking to her lieutenant about dry skin while Byakuya is slowly dying away?

I mean, first thing, she is capable of healing people that are close to death, considering what she was able to do with the captains that got massacred by Aizen in the previous arc and Renji after he got blasted by Byakuya's bankai that one time.

As for the possibility that she's simply on standby for people who might come for aid in the medical building, isn't it pretty clear that no one's going to survive long enough to get to her unless she steps to the forefront? This seems even more out of place considering that there does not seem to be any enemy or danger in Kuchiki's immediate vicinity.

2. Like 5 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member S-H-I-G-U-R-E's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Unohana is being REALLY useless right now

yeah, I completely agree.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Impossibility's Avatar
    Country
    Bahamas
    Post Thanks / Like

Funnily enough, Unohana has seemed mostly useless throughout most of the crises. But honestly, I think Unohana is going to beast out this arc. She has to, the old man had his stand, Unohana seriously needs to show us something. When she does, I fully expect it to be nothing short of epic. But like most manga, it's about the timing.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Hakuteiken's Avatar
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, speaking of peacefully sitting, that goes for Vice-Captain Kotetsu, as well. I was surprised that she hadn't been stationed in the front lines.
    It's only weird that no one is trying to give medical assistance to a Captain. Maybe the entire 4th Squad has already been slaughtered somehow.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, thousands of shinigami were killed in the first few minutes of the invasion. The number mentioned was 1100 or so from what I recall which is just about 25 or 30 per cent of all shinigami. So statistically speaking it would make sense if during the first few minutes of the war 30% of all 4th division soldiers were killed. Of course there would be the consideration of how exactly they would be deployed since they are a healing unit, not a fighting one. Still, since the soldat bit I doubt the 4th division was left untouched, odds are the fodder shinigami got there as well. There is no reason for anyone but seated officers to be alive after that.

Now, I could see an issue with unohana movilizing to heal people. All of sereitei is a war zone right now. That means that even if unohana moves out to heal someone she still won't necessarily be able to heal people as she might get attacked. Even then, with the current circumstances odds are she is already busy with other people.

7. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member S-H-I-G-U-R-E's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

"busy with other people"?! Aizen himself stated that SS main force are its captains, so who care about the small fries when there's Kuchiki Byakuya on the verge of death! Unohana is either dumb or she has some very important reason to let Byakuya die!

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, as a doctor unohana in theory should care to heal everyone the same although it is true that being cold minded about it healing byakuya should be a priority. Still, there are the other points I brought up. She was indoors earlier however that would not spare her not her quarters from the soldat attack. There is also the possibility that she could simply be too far away from him to get there without getting into a fight. Healing him would require time and doing that while in the middle of a warzone would make her a target.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member BASED Shinigami's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Indeed, SS right now is overrun by Quincy soldiers she would be exposing herself to incredible danger if she left to heal the other captains. Plus, do you really think they would just let her heal him? Oh yeah, they'll politely stand aside for few a minutes while she heals him back from the brink and then continue battling after she's done. No! They're out to destroy SS and everyone in it.
    My comic suggestions: Ecchi, Martial Arts, Historical, Harem, Adventure!

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, vandereich was about to leave SS just as ichigo arrived. Perhaps if ichigo hadn't arrived as they were leaving she would have had a chance to heal him.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Regret's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd also agree that I think Unohana is waiting for an opportunity to heal people without being interrupted. What good would it do now anyway as anyone that she heals would likely be struck down again anyway. She might even know that zero squad would be deployed in this situation and either scare the VR off or otherwise hold them back. It would have been nice to see her healing shinigami that were brought to her but it seems like nobody is getting a chance to even carry the injured without getting killed.

O fragments of light, strike down mine enemy!

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Hakuteiken's Avatar
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    Well, vandereich was about to leave SS just as ichigo arrived. Perhaps if ichigo hadn't arrived as they were leaving she would have had a chance to heal him.
    I'm struggling to get a hold of this. Bach suggested retreating for a while and waiting for Squad Zero to come out, yet, SR summoned the Soldat at that time. What is the point of summoning your fighting units into the battle if you are going to make a small retreat move, anyway?
    Back on topic, there is a fair chance that Unohana already thinks that Byakuya is dead, just as Haschwald suggested. We have no reason to think that she has more sensory skills compared to SR from any perspective.

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hakuteiken View Post
    I'm struggling to get a hold of this. Bach suggested retreating for a while and waiting for Squad Zero to come out, yet, SR summoned the Soldat at that time. What is the point of summoning your fighting units into the battle if you are going to make a small retreat move, anyway?
    Back on topic, there is a fair chance that Unohana already thinks that Byakuya is dead, just as Haschwald suggested. We have no reason to think that she has more sensory skills compared to SR from any perspective.
    I think bach suggested retreating after soldat destroyed SS.

That is also true. A few people noted byakuya's reiatsu disappearing, it is perhaps possible she simply didn't know where he was. In turn this would imply ichigo is suddenly exceptional at perceiving reiatsu around him as he was able to feel byakuya's feeble power through the raging reiatsu's battling in sereite. Back in the day just ichigo's reiatsu was enough to impede rukia from sensing a measly hollows reiatsu(plot point in the first chapters).

15. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Banned 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    The spiraling depths of retardedness(AKA the Jellystone dimension)
    Country
    Antarctica
    Post Thanks / Like

:: Unohana better do something before the manga ends or ill be convinced that she actually evul and will probably turn out to be Aizens mother ::
    Last edited by babaGAReeb; October 25, 2012 at 01:11 AM.

17. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Schabrak's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Hakuteiken
    They are there to annihilate the rest of the weak shinigami, just as the shinigami likely did centuries ago. And eye for an eye. ¬_¬

While they aren't 90 percent of the fighting force, those fodder regulate the balance in the real world, captain's don't. It's the first time in centuries that they even have to work hard, looking at the Aizen war and pendulum arc.

babaGAReb
    She will, read Kubo's word on this arc. She will release her hair and use her bankai, somewhere between now and 2017. :-P
    Twitter - Firm but Fair

19. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member BASED Shinigami's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

^If she does finally release her bankai in this arc, I wonder if it's going to battle oriented. We know her Shikai is generally used towards healing purposes and we've never seen it used in battle I fear.
    My comic suggestions: Ecchi, Martial Arts, Historical, Harem, Adventure!

New Reply
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast