Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 595 (2)
New Reply

Thread: Refs in POT

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Refs in POT

Have you ever wonder what it takes to be a ref in POT? The only ball they cannot see is the TnK serve by Ryoma, and that's probably because it's just a MS level ref. After all the U-17 refs can see Mach Serve just fine (otherwise they wouldn't even know who scored). When Kintaro was using his super move, Gin told everyone to evacuate but the ref sure wasn't evacuating. We know attacking opponent's coach is perfectly legit in POT but these refs still sit in their chair, even though you'd think the ref would be a bigger target than the coaches. They're certainly never intimidated or fooled by any of the techs. They see people fly across the field coughing up blood but they still continue to call the game point by point.

Maybe refs in POT are retired pro players, because I can't think of any other reason you'd continue to risk your life being a ref in the world of POT.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member -Ken-'s Avatar
    Country
    Thailand
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Refs in POT

I loled just reading this. The referee is the secret no 0 in U-17 camp!
    Most of the thing I post is probably assumption if it's not a fact that I support using some evidence from the manga.

If you knows you're on my ignore list and you quote my post, there's high chance I would ignore you. Or answer you and not look at your response.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by -Ken- View Post
    I loled just reading this. The referee is the secret no 0 in U-17 camp!
    I can see this happening. At the end, with Byoudin defeated...

Fuji: "Everyone, there's something wrong. I didn't get to play a game yet. It can't be over."
    2 guys from court 16: "We've been trying to make other countries underestimate us, but looks like it didn't fool Fuji. The G10 is merely a decoy!"

Random fodder guys, janitors, etc, show up and reveal to be #1-#9.

Ryoma: "So who's #10?"
    Ref: "I've been here all along, but you guys too blind to see me." (pulls off his disguise). "By the way, I am #0."

4. Like 4 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member LetalHawk's Avatar
    Country
    Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Phantron View Post

Fuji: "Everyone, there's something wrong. I didn't get to play a game yet. It can't be over."
    2 guys from court 16: "We've been trying to make other countries underestimate us, but looks like it didn't fool Fuji. The G10 is merely a decoy!"

Ref: "I've been here all along, but you guys too blind to see me." (pulls off his disguise). "By the way, I am #0."
    Such a thing would ruin the entire manga, the Ref. being Number 0, that'd be hilarious.

Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Airgrimes's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

This seriously made me laugh hahahaha.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Fuji Shusuke's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

This combined with "what pros would be like in PoT" would make the funniest PoT fanfic XD
    "Sorry, but I never lose to the same opponent twice." - Fuji

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member -Ken-'s Avatar
    Country
    Thailand
    Post Thanks / Like

Refs can seriously have the hackiest ability if they are referee for their match, lol.

Any player(s): (Hit an ace)

Ref: It's out. 0-15 to me.

Player: It's clearly in!

Ref: I'm the referee. I say it's out. It's out.
    Most of the thing I post is probably assumption if it's not a fact that I support using some evidence from the manga.

If you knows you're on my ignore list and you quote my post, there's high chance I would ignore you. Or answer you and not look at your response.

9. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Fuji Shusuke's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by -Ken- View Post
    Refs can seriously have the hackiest ability if they are referee for their match, lol.

Any player(s): (Hit an ace)

Ref: It's out. 0-15 to me.

Player: It's clearly in!

Ref: I'm the referee. I say it's out. It's out.
    If it every comes to that, ZSS, TP and Fifth Counter are the only techniques that can score points lol...

Or the referee can say: It breaks the laws of physics. Obstuction!
    "Sorry, but I never lose to the same opponent twice." - Fuji

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The ref would have no reason to return anything if he can just call it as out. The only way you'd be able to score on a ref is if he double faults, because as soon as you hit the ball, the ref can call whatever you hit as out.

---------- Post added at 02:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:13 PM ----------

As an aside, all the guys who like to hit the ball exactly on the line would get owned hard against a ref since you wouldn't be able to argue against that.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Hardy's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

The ref would have no reason to return anything if he can just call it as out. The only way you'd be able to score on a ref is if he double faults, because as soon as you hit the ball, the ref can call whatever you hit as out.

---------- Post added at 02:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:13 PM ----------

As an aside, all the guys who like to hit the ball exactly on the line would get owned hard against a ref since you wouldn't be able to argue against that.
    The only way to beat the ref is exactly how ryoma did in the first episode of PoT, doing a zero shiki lob or something like that.

Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Airgrimes's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

What about the greatest Drop shot in the series. Remember the magical drop shot that disappeared, then re-appeared and slipped over the net?
    Against Yukimura when Ryoma got TnK?
    That should work. Or, again the ref could penalise Ryoma for defying the law of physics if you think Physics defying moves would be banned lol.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Well if you assume the ref can't openly rig the game like say he just serves the ball to the audience and said 'that was in, 15-0', so it's more like say the very first game Ryoma played where each side called their own outs, the ref can shut down any 'on the line' shots by calling it out, because he's the ref.

There's no tech that can escape the eyes of the ref because otherwise he wouldn't be able to call the game in the first place.

Likewise no mental tech including yips would have any effect on a ref. He's used to see people literally dying out there and it obviously doesn't bother him.

No power shot would work either because again the ref didn't evacuate when Kintaro was using his 'more dangerous than Hado 108' move.

But that said the ref doesn't inherently need to have a strong offensive move so I guess you can try to beat him with regular rally, so Shiraishi type of tennis would probably be the most effective. Just don't try to get tricky with any shots hitting baseline/corner though, because those will be automatically outs.

New Reply