Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 504 by Bomber D Rufi , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)

View Poll Results: Having seen part of Obito's backstory, I ...

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Am more satisfied by his reveal as the villian.

15 23.81%
  • Feel about the same as I did before about the reveal.

19 30.16%
  • Am less satisfied by his reveal as the villain.

29 46.03%
New Reply
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Blackjack612 Reviews Naruto 607 I Don't Care

Reviewer 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member blackjack612's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Blackjack612 Reviews Naruto 607 I Don't Care

While those so-called Great Countries bask in the light, small countries like yours are left ot die in the shadows.
    Tobi Uchiha

Hello again. Last review I meant to include the above poll but forgot to, so I'm including it this week now that we've had a month's worth of Obito backstory. I'm interested in hearing how the flashbacks have affected your feeling about his reveal, whether they were good or bad. Myself, I more, though not completely, satisfied with how Kishimoto's handled Obito's history as Tobi. There are spots of his explanation that feel rushed and a couple of items that feel like cheats or inconsistencies, but I'm more or less convinced of Obito's conviction in his Moon Eye's Plan.

Naruto 607 I Don't Care
    The images in this review are credited to Mangastream.

Picking up from last week, Obito intercepts the young Akatsuki trio (Konan, Yahiko, and Nagato) and offers them ... well it's incredibly vague. He poses as Madara offering his wisdom and abilities in helping guide those who awaken the Rinnegan towards their destiny. He offers to teach Nagato the full secrets of his eyes and show him a path towards achieving global peace. For his part, Nagato seems willing to embrace the role of savior, essentially being told as much by Jiraiya when he was young. But the sensible Yahiko dismisses Obito right out.

First, Yahiko deduces that anyone using Madara's name in this age is either a criminal or straight up stupid, though an accurate third descriptor he doesn't consider is 'crazy' or 'delusional'. Secondly, Yahiko judges that Obito's offer is both too good to be true and a likely ruse to use their abilities. He reasons that they don't need guidance because they have their own path to peace: nuclear deterrence. What's interesting here is that the plan Pain adopted was initially Yahiko's and that he never fully filled in on the details of Obito's plot.

The gang take off, but a determined Obito promises that he'll wait for them to change their minds in the same place, same time, every day.

We shift forward in time to Konoha before Kurama's attack. Kakashi visits Rin's grave to lament their bad luck being born during an era of war unlike Minato's soon to be born son. What he doesn't realize is that Obito's been watching from the shadows and overheard this crucial, confidential intel. Suddenly, Obito's "you always open your mouth too much" taunt makes sense. We know what follows next. Obito infiltrates the delivery, steals Kurama when Kushina is at her weakest, launches an attack against Konoha, and faces off against his former sensei.

Does he feel remorse for his actions or even hesitate in upending the life of a man whose goals he once shared? Absolutely not. He completely removed from the world, far past caring about anything but the new world he'll create where he's reunited with Rin.

Finally, surprisingly, we return to the present. Naruto, Guy, and Killer B face off against Madara who decides not to hold back having witnessed the jinchuurikis' abilities. Madara has an edge though: the wood release jutsu Hashirama used to bind Kurama. As his student fights, Kakashi attempts to reason with Obito, trying to understand why his comrade would ally with Madara. But Obito is done talking. He wants only to finish this final fight. The chapter ends with the promise of an exciting climax, but there's no telling for sure how either battle will end.

Besides featuring some consistently solid artwork (for which I'm thankful), there were some showy scenes this chapter. The most affecting page, from which the title comes, occurs late in the chapter and features no illustration. The preceding page shows Kurama firing off a pitch black Tailed-Beast Ball that is zoomed in on as you read further down the page. This segues unexpectedly into a pitch black page that features white text in lieu of pictures: "I don't care about it anymore."

But perhaps my favorite pair of panels are of Minato and Obito staring each other down from opposite and rather cinematic perspectives.

There's a lot to love about this chapter. The art, dialogue, plotting, and characterization were all top notch. There were touching scenes from both Obito and Kakashi and a funny scene from Guy. There were reveals and added context to previously viewed flashbacks. Yahiko was excellent in his casual dismissal of a randomly appearing 'Madara' offering vague tidings of peace. All this and there was plenty of action. Want to see a new wood release jutsu that further hypes of Hashirama's abilities? 607's got it. Looking for badass moments from both Minato and his son? Check. This a chapter that provides a little bit of everything and succeeds at demonstrating just how detached from the world Obito's grown since Rin's death.

I would like, however, to re-raise the issue of Obito=Tobi and why it partially felt like a cheat. Some of the timeline discrepancies (like Madara giving Nagato the Rinnegan) have been explained away, as to things like Obito's motivation and skill increase. However, Obito's age compared to Jiraiya's students still bugs me. In the anime (not canon since it's a differing medium), Tobi's voice is deep and gravelly and doesn't at all sound like the voice of a kid late in his adolescence. In the manga, Konan, Nagato, Minato, and Yahiko should be of comparable age (within a few years of each other) which means they should all be a generation (roughly a decade) older than Obito. Yet the way the characters are drawn doesn't reflect this.

It's a minor quibble for an otherwise flawlessly executed chapter. I'm giving Naruto 607 a ...

6 out of 5*

Predictions

*I think I've only ever given three chapters besides this one a 6 out of 5: 561, 562, 567. I only break them out when a chapter greatly exceeds my already high expectations.

Well, part of my previous prediction was on the money. It seems Obito is the one who fully reveals the extent of the Rinnegan's abilities to Nagato. I'm still hoping we'll get another flashback that explains what was up with the Hidden Mist and Obito.

As for what's next, I'm gonna guess that Obito will tear through Kakashi since he no longer needs to preserve his identity or control the jinchuriki and he can no longer count on Kamui making him invincible. I think the battle will turn towards Madara and Obito winning, followed by a detour with Sasuke and Orochimaru to explain some last minute twist, and followed still by the return of the five (or four) kage as reinforcements.

One Line Reviews
    • Bleach 513 is all about a good old fashioned showdown. Ichigo vs Juha Bach! How did Ichigo escape his prison? Is this a fight he can win? Does he have any cards up his sleeve that the Quincy don't know about yet? One of these questions is answered in 513 The Dark Moon Stroke
    • One Piece 686 benefits from being very focused this week, sticking with Monet's fight and the parade complications she faces from the Strawhat Pirates and Marines.
    • This week, S.I.U. has given us another ToG extra story with Tower of God S2 Ch37 that fills in what Part 1 test administrators Quant and Leroro have been up to. Though not a necessary read and having no major impact on the current story, this chapter is humorous and ramps up anticipation for both the Workshop Battle and FUG arc conclusion.
    • A return appearance of Einstein and the series' Walt Disney surrogate, shadowy spooks, government intrigue, and warnings about meddling with time travel would make Billy Bat 88 one of the most entertaining reads of the week. That the chapter closes on such a strong, moving, and satisfying emotional beat makes Billy Bat my Pick of the Week

2. Thanks 16 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 4 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Akabeth's Avatar
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Blackjack612 Reviews Naruto 607 I Don't Care

Props to you for speaking your mind. I can agree with a few points but unfortunately they aren't positives (like how "detached" Obito had become).

I also had the opposite reaction when I read through 607 mostly because of three things:
    I really hope Kishi has most if not all of the story outlined after this break. I'd like to think it's impossible for him to do any worse writing than what he's done with Obito/Tobi thus far. I'm expecting him to do a proper treatment of his fight against Kakashi, whatever the outcome may be (please no more talk-jutsu).
    "Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile." Albert Einstein

4. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

tobis voice maybe the mask that he wears acts like a filter

Last Breath 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member 3c's Avatar
    Country
    Norway
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by c420smokey View Post
    tobis voice maybe the mask that he wears acts like a filter
    It's not as complicated as that. It's more like the anime department having been lead to believe Tobi is Madara. Even in one of the latest episodes Tobi was shown with "Madara rings" under both eyes.

As for the review. As always you write excellent reviews, but I cannot agree this week. To me this chapter was just bad with the exceptions of Boss Yahiko and Badass Naruto. This chapter in my opinion doesn't deserve anywhere near a top grade, but somewhere in the middle. The whole Obito flashback has been weirdly put together, in a movie you'd say it has been badly directed and victim of a bad storyboard and script. Not enough answers were given, and many of the ones that were given were done so in a way that didn't really explain anything (often with an unsatisfactory taste) or opened up other questions. Since this chapter ended the flashback, it only made it worse.

Tobi is ruined for me. He was a better villain and character as Tobi the Masked Man than Tobi the Heartbroken Obito. How I wish he had his badass mask on again. I have no choice but to regard Tobi as two characters. The Masked Tobi which is dead, and Obito.
    Last edited by 3c; October 26, 2012 at 01:15 PM.
    Don't. Be. A. Steph.

7. Thanks 4 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 9 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! mattiaildivino's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the review Black. it's different than usual, I can tell. this time you used a more subjective impact towards the chapter. I think there's nobody who shares your mark , even I am disappointed by how the chapter went, especially for what concerns obito's attack. we had to see it in this flashback,as we had already seen him, but through minato and kushina's eyes. here obito's reasons had to be revealed,but his thoughts and actions are too different to how he behaved in volume 53! Furthermore,if we are talking about volumes, it's a shame that the flashback has already ended (although I think we're gonna see the remaining parts to fill the plot holes), because Kishi just interrupted it to conclude volume 63 (he doesn't want to end a volume in the middle of a flashback). And I really can't stand when he does so,he could add a chapter to volume 62 (as does Oda)!

9. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zasz's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Your review is top-notch as always, but I'm sorry to say that I didn't really liked this chapter.
    At first I liked the FB about Obito, but when Kishimoto decided not to show us what he did during the Uchiha massacre and with Yagura in Kirigakure (this week's chapter), it went all down-hill.
    This was his opportunity to give us detailed informations about his past, but he failed.
    The reason for Obito's betrayal towards the Leaf (or rather the world) is exagerated without a doubt, but IMHO also accetable, considering that all his beliefs have been literally crushed before his eyes.
    To conclude, I fear that Obito thanks to a TNJ (Talk No Jutsu) will turn on Madara. Such is the fate of characters who were "good guys".

11. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! mattiaildivino's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

indeed,that's why I think he will go on with the flashback. he had to interrupt it to make a cool end for volume 63 (in fact, obito and kakashi about to fight,and kurama owning madara's (nay, Hashirama's) dragon is much cooler. I dislike that he puts just 10 chapters in a volume,he sometimes makes longer volumes after all. anyway, the remaining things are: 1)what happened to the spiral zetsu? ; 2) he told konan (in vol.54) that he was the one who had made yahiko found akatsuki,and who had given nagato the rinnegan. well, how is he connected to yahiko's organization? ; 3)yagura and kisame, did they meet obito or madara, and how could kisame be so fooled? ; 4)the uchihas' massacre, of course we have already seen a part of it, but everyone'd like to see who obito's parents were,how did he meet danzo ecc.
    surely these things would be better than the chapter "rehabilitation", in which obito dealt with zetsu and the spiral zetsu talking about peeing ecc...

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zasz's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

I do hope that Kishimoto will continue telling Obito's story.
    The thing you and I have said are very important parts of the story.

14. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Zoro #1's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I am sorry but this Chapter was not what I had expected. The story line and the flashbacks just seem to be thrown in there as a quick fix job to make the story work. Its like kishi at the start of the arc just decided to throw things in without thinking and now is doing patch work to make the story connect, which in my opinion is not working that well. The whole flashback is just not working for me, the resolve of Obito for killing all those people just because of Rin is just too absurd.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Krina29's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't really agree with the rating I was thinking about 3-4
    Quote Originally Posted by digitaldude View Post
    I like your sense of humour.
    Quote sigs are getting more and more mainstream.
    No way, a third quote would be creepy.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Sanadan's Avatar
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I also always like your reviews. Last time I thought you under scored the chapter and this time it is the other way around. I felt like this was the end and start of two acts of the story and i felt like the act ending lacked some insight into the death of rin and obitos mental transformation. At least give me one part before moving on.
    I am sure the death will be explained while kaka and tobi fight each other and during the heat of the battle answers and angles that are unknown will be explored but I still don't like that they ended the tobi part while being so vague.
    He doesn't care, but he used to want to gain the love of everyone, he didn't just do a 180, he also spun around a couple of times before jumping of the edge.
    1 or 2 more chapters would have done this plot a lot of good. Dragging out the part we get here and making tobis transformation a bit more believable.

I give it a 3 out of 5 but I am still looking forward with a lot of optimism.
    Meh

18. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member EMS's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

this is the first time that i comment in your review but i always read what you got in mind but i disagree with you thinking that this chaper out of 5 of 5, deserved a 6 because the only thing knew we got that yahiko was a true leader besides that it was the same flashback of tobi vs minato, the only diferent was kishi focused on obito character entering in the village and finding out abut minato's son and to this is sad that obito invaded the village because obito hear about minato's son from kakashi and that was his plan whole plan..

you are a great reviewer and keep the good word, we need more people like you that give up a good quality time for coming up with a great review..i'm glad that you do this every week, it is nice to read your reviews

great job my friend
    Last edited by EMS; October 28, 2012 at 04:16 PM.

20. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ashher's Avatar
    Country
    Bangladesh
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh, it seems not many are agreeing with our reviewer. I personally did not find this particular chapter exceptionally impressive, but i agree with your general opinion about the whole obito flashback. 3c thinks its a badly directed one, i think its not so bad. Reason of obito being tobi is cliche, but still well portrayed. There were some questions left unanswered(kisame and mist aspect), yet the answers that have been given makes sense, and at times seems to fit in suprisingly well(why obito had a grown up man's figure). A solid continuation of the kakashi gaiden.

22. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Ahah, in the end black,noone agrees with your mark . I'd like to reply 3c : I thought this chapter was a failure because it ended the flashback without answering,and obito VS Minato doesn't surely fit the flashback of vol 53 seen through kushina and minato's eyes. Yet,if you start thinking kishi interrupted the flashback because he had to make a cool end for vol.63 and that he will go on with it,you nay change your mind... that's why I voted neutral: cause I still think he will adjust and answers us soon. But of course,if he won't care and won't show it,my mark will be much lower than 3-4.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Necron's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank god I'm not the only one who enjoyed the chapter, great review!
    I would have liked the flashback to go a little longer and more into detail concerning Akatsuki and Tobi being the Mizukage. But in the end I'm very satisfied with it still.
    I'm not going to say that people should stop complaining, because they do have reasonable complaints and arguments. However those complaints are not significant enough for me to take away from the plotting and the execution of Obito's transformation.

Thank you for the review, keep them up!
    My Deviant Art
    But don't expect any Manga drawing here, haven't done that in a long time.

25. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast