Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 489 by kewl0210 , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Naruto 672 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 576 (2)

View Poll Results: Having seen part of Obito's backstory, I ...

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Am more satisfied by his reveal as the villian.

    15 23.81%
  • Feel about the same as I did before about the reveal.

    19 30.16%
  • Am less satisfied by his reveal as the villain.

    29 46.03%
New Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 47

Thread: Blackjack612 Reviews Naruto 607 I Don't Care

  1. #16
    Registered User 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! mattiaildivino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Venice
    Country
    Italy
    Age
    20
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    9,045
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Blackjack612 Reviews Naruto 607 I Don't Care

    Quote Originally Posted by Necron View Post
    Thank god I'm not the only one who enjoyed the chapter, great review!
    I would have liked the flashback to go a little longer and more into detail concerning Akatsuki and Tobi being the Mizukage. But in the end I'm very satisfied with it still.
    I'm not going to say that people should stop complaining, because they do have reasonable complaints and arguments. However those complaints are not significant enough for me to take away from the plotting and the execution of Obito's transformation.

    Thank you for the review, keep them up!
    of course,your knowledges are nothing compared to ours,that's why we can discern plot holes and inconsistencies
    ahahah no,dude, I was just joking

  2. #17
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member badluckartist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    THE SCIENCEMOBILE!!
    Country
    United States
    Age
    25
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,874
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Blackjack612 Reviews Naruto 607 I Don't Care

    Yahiko and Nagato hadn't adopted the nuclear deterrence plan yet, since they didn't have the Gedo to create a hypothetical nuke jutsu. Nagato basically combined Madara's plan to use the Gedo and bijuu, but instead basically painted it the color of Yahiko's eye-for-an-eye-until-we're-all-blind-and-happy-and-equal philosophy.

    Basically going underneath the fence, as opposed to Madara/Tobito going over the the fence. And I guess Naruto's philosophy in this analogy would be to outsmart the fence with KBs before brilliantly landing a hit with rasengan. Then I guess hugging the mangled corpse of the fence.

    ---------- Post added at 03:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:10 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by blackjack612 View Post
    The art, dialogue, plotting, and characterization were all top notch.
    Characterization? Really? That has been by FAR the weakest link of this whole flashback. The transformation of Obito into Tobi has been as weak as the explanation of Orochimaru's evilness, except magnified by the fact that it's been several chapters as opposed to one merciful panel. Suffering through war sucks, but Obito was always a kind person. Suddenly changing from helping little old ladies across the street to the ABSOLUTE most selfish person in the entire planet requires a bit more of a trauma IMO than what Obito went through."I saw you kill Rin" was all we needed from any of this, although I've very much enjoyed the art if anything. And Yahiko being the only realistic person in the world, regarding Tobi claiming to be Madara. Too bad we didn't get to see any of Obito's expressions behind the mask during all these times he's doing insane things like attacking baby Naruto/Konoha... his only thought we get is "....sensei." Really? No further thoughts on the guy who trained you? Even Orochimaru had some awesome villain stuff to say against Sarutobi l: l

    To me, the whole page wasted with "I don't care" seemed more like Kishi's thoughts on writing this flashback. It reeked of something Kubo's done in Bleach lol

    Looking back, I'm even more disappointed with Tobi copypasta'ing Madara's speech. He didn't add any of Obito's character to the plan, like Nagato did to Madara's plan. If anyone has ever successfully used himself like a tool with no character of his own, it's Tobi, Ruiner of All Things Obito.

  3. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
  4. #18
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ashher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Dhaka
    Country
    Bangladesh
    Age
    24
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,172
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Blackjack612 Reviews Naruto 607 I Don't Care

    @badluckartist the point you raised about obito becoming 'selfish' is totall a misjudgement of character on the part of the reader. Obito, even after turning tobi is not a selfish or cruel person. He is killing people without mercy because their life or death in this world means nothing if his plan is to be executed. In the world of tsukiyami, they are all gonna live. So its not that obito has turned spiteful or hateful, rather he is acting based on cold logic. As it's been clearly shown by the instance when he spared kakashi's life, cause it neither helps nor deters the moon eye plan.

    ---------- Post added at 06:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:32 PM ----------

    About yahiko being the only one to call bluff, you've to notice that it was the first time he tried to pose as madara. And the lesson he learned from there was a lesson well learned. After that he never put out that claim without some madara-esque feat before. That's why no one but yahiko doubted him.

  5. #19
    MH's Best Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Jammin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Country
    United States
    Age
    31
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,631
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Blackjack612 Reviews Naruto 607 I Don't Care

    Quote Originally Posted by ashher View Post
    @badluckartist the point you raised about obito becoming 'selfish' is totall a misjudgement of character on the part of the reader. Obito, even after turning tobi is not a selfish or cruel person. He is killing people without mercy because their life or death in this world means nothing if his plan is to be executed. In the world of tsukiyami, they are all gonna live. So its not that obito has turned spiteful or hateful, rather he is acting based on cold logic. As it's been clearly shown by the instance when he spared kakashi's life, cause it neither helps nor deters the moon eye plan.
    Ignoring the well-being of others for the sake of his desires is practically the definition of selfishness. Which is exactly what he is doing. His actions are basically saying.

    "I don't care about anything as long as I can create my dream world."

    That's arrogant and selfish. I mean, think about why he is creating this illusionary world in the first place? Because the girl he loved got killed, which sucks, but being willing to risk the lives of everybody Rin herself loved to do it shows who all this is really about. Himself.

    His whole motivation is just "me, me, me.". It didn't come across as grand or impressive it's just a little kid throwing a tantrum because things didn't go his way. At least that's how it came across to me.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for RPG fans]
    Black Haze [Esp. for Fairy Tail fans]
    Geukji High [Esp. for Kenichi fans.]
    Divine Bells [Esp. for Action/Comedy fans]
    Dragons Rioting [Esp. for Ecchi fans]

  6. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
  7. #20
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member marshall313's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Age
    27
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,097
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Blackjack612 Reviews Naruto 607 I Don't Care

    Obito used nagato without knowing their true plan.

    But maybe obito didn't know that madara is also usng him without knowing the true plan of madara.
    No matter how POWERFUL/STRONG you are. If you cannot CATCH your Enemy, all your POWER/STRENGTH is no more useful then a squirt gun. And if you cannot possibly TRACK/REACT to your enemies attacks to defend yourself, then how can you possibly stop him from DEFEATING you at will?

  8. #21
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member badluckartist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    THE SCIENCEMOBILE!!
    Country
    United States
    Age
    25
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,874
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Blackjack612 Reviews Naruto 607 I Don't Care

    Quote Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
    Ignoring the well-being of others for the sake of his desires is practically the definition of selfishness. Which is exactly what he is doing. His actions are basically saying.

    "I don't care about anything as long as I can create my dream world."

    That's arrogant and selfish. I mean, think about why he is creating this illusionary world in the first place? Because the girl he loved got killed, which sucks, but being willing to risk the lives of everybody Rin herself loved to do it shows who all this is really about. Himself.

    His whole motivation is just "me, me, me.". It didn't come across as grand or impressive it's just a little kid throwing a tantrum because things didn't go his way. At least that's how it came across to me.
    Kind of like how Sasuke's revenge glands paradoxically engorged themselves after learning the truth about Itachi. What the fuck? You learn that Itachi was the savior of the Leaf and you're going to ... destroy the Leaf because of Itachi's self-sacrifice to keep peace ... proving you love your brother by undoing his work ... GARRRGHHHHH

    Even Madara's motivations boil down pretty quickly to "me me me why isn't this whole world all about me". The Sage had some awfully lopsided genes.

  9. #22
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ashher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Dhaka
    Country
    Bangladesh
    Age
    24
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,172
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Blackjack612 Reviews Naruto 607 I Don't Care

    @ jammin you don't get my point. The moment moon's eye plan gets implemented, this world just stops existing. Everyone who lost anything in the process will gain them back in the tsukiyami world. So tobi's is not taking away anybody's happiness, nor killing anyone ultimately. Cause they all are gonna be there in tsukiyami world, and this real world will simply become invalid. That's why he is neither cruel nor selfish. He's creating a biblical heaven for everyone, where whatever you want is real. So if someone wants one person whom tobi has killed to live, he'll live.

  10. #23
    MH's Best Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Jammin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Country
    United States
    Age
    31
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,631
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Blackjack612 Reviews Naruto 607 I Don't Care

    Quote Originally Posted by ashher View Post
    @ jammin you don't get my point. The moment moon's eye plan gets implemented, this world just stops existing. Everyone who lost anything in the process will gain them back in the tsukiyami world. So tobi's is not taking away anybody's happiness, nor killing anyone ultimately. Cause they all are gonna be there in tsukiyami world, and this real world will simply become invalid. That's why he is neither cruel nor selfish. He's creating a biblical heaven for everyone, where whatever you want is real. So if someone wants one person whom tobi has killed to live, he'll live.
    No, I think I do. In Obito's mind, he thinks everything will be all better in his illusionary world so what he does to the real world doesn't matter.

    But that whole absurdly delusional mindset is dependent on two preconditions

    1) That the world he would create actually is "better".
    Meaning that he is certain things will turn out the way he believes they will. (arrogance)

    2) That he has the right to decide what the world should be.
    Meaning that what's best for him personally, is best for everybody. (selfishness)

    All of the lives he has taken and all the harm he has done is nothing more than a wager on these two things. It's like trying force everybody into a "matrix-like" existence because he himself can't face the real world.
    Last edited by Jammin; October 30, 2012 at 04:26 PM.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for RPG fans]
    Black Haze [Esp. for Fairy Tail fans]
    Geukji High [Esp. for Kenichi fans.]
    Divine Bells [Esp. for Action/Comedy fans]
    Dragons Rioting [Esp. for Ecchi fans]

  11. #24
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ashher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Dhaka
    Country
    Bangladesh
    Age
    24
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,172
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Blackjack612 Reviews Naruto 607 I Don't Care

    @ jammin come on, why do you keep emphasizin on "tobi'' will create? Tobi'll create the tsukiyami world only in the sense that he'll be the one to do the actual initial jutsu. But 'creating' as in the sense that 'deciding what is gonna be/happen there in the tsukiyami world' that will be determined by each individual's will. Tobi will not, CANNOT, impose his will on anybody else's world. For example, lets say someone, say kakashi, does not wish for rin to live, but obito does. In the real world, only one of kakashi or obito can be happy, can get what they want. But in tsukiyami world, both can be happy and winner, cause in obito's illusion he'll see rin alive, in kakashi's she'll be dead. If it were the case of obito's will imposed on others, as you were saying, then in kakashi's world rin would've been alive, going against kakashi's wish/happiness. Then i'd have said obito is selfish. But this is against the very idea of moon's eye plan..." Everyone get to have their wish". Meaning that obito can't impose his will on others, anymore than they can do to obito. So it is out of question that obito can impose his will on others in tsukiyami world, or that he'll decide what will happen in tsukiyami world FOR OTHERS, or that he's selfish.

    ---------- Post added at 06:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:59 PM ----------

    Now that should refute your first point on 'tobi's arrogance to think that his version would be better'. Cause there ain't gonna be any 'his version' imposed on others, all will have their 'own versions' according to their own wishes SOLELY, not by tobi's wishes. The second point about people not wanting to live in that 'matrix-like-world' in the first place. I don't think that to be anything much different from different characters trying to establishing what they thought to be best. Naruto can't leave sasuke alone, or stop fighting him, cause sasuke has a freedom of will. Danzo's will and third's/tsunade's will were conflicting, and freedom of will did not mean that they did not try to implement their own wills. This is the problem of the real world. Everyone has conflicting wills and everyone tries to follow and implement his own at the cost of others. Obito in his attempt to realize moon's eye play, is not doing anything more or less than that and if that makes him selfish, it makes everyone in the living world as selfish as he is(eg: naruto and jiraya in their attempts to establish peace, while ppl like yahiko,sasuke desires retribution).

  12. #25
    MH's Best Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Jammin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Country
    United States
    Age
    31
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,631
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Blackjack612 Reviews Naruto 607 I Don't Care

    I'm not talking about his "personal illusion" I'm talking about the concept of forcing everybody into an illusionary world in the first place.

    Remember that bad guy in the first matrix movie? That's who Obito is. And EXACTLY what he's trying to do.
    Last edited by Jammin; October 31, 2012 at 10:11 AM.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for RPG fans]
    Black Haze [Esp. for Fairy Tail fans]
    Geukji High [Esp. for Kenichi fans.]
    Divine Bells [Esp. for Action/Comedy fans]
    Dragons Rioting [Esp. for Ecchi fans]

  13. #26
    Registered User 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! mattiaildivino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Venice
    Country
    Italy
    Age
    20
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    9,045
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Blackjack612 Reviews Naruto 607 I Don't Care

    Instead, I don't get how obito's plan cannot be selfish : he wants a world perfect for him,but if kakashi had died (and he didn't care because kakashi would have been in the dreamworld) he wouldn't have been neither a winner nor into peace. I hope you get my point: obito wants a dream,but the characters who are in the dream can die in the real world without he cares.

  14. #27
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ashher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Dhaka
    Country
    Bangladesh
    Age
    24
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,172
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Blackjack612 Reviews Naruto 607 I Don't Care

    @ jammin that, i think was the second point that you made in your previous post, and i addressed to thatin the second part of mine.

    ---------- Post added at 01:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:37 AM ----------

    @ mattialidivino the ones who are dying in real world, they themselves can't be there in the dreamworld, so yes they can't be 'winner' or beneficiary of the moon's eye plan. But everyone who will live, even if they were against moon's eye plan, will get to live a life anyway they want. So they will all be winners, all the living humans will be at peace. For example, lets say kakashi died. But naruto wants him to live. In moon's eye world, naruto will get his wish and he'll be winner. So yes, moon's eye plan can't help the dead, just like the real world. But the difference is, moon's eye plan can help the living to get whatever they want, which the real world can't. That's why in real world kakashi's death would start the much talked about 'cycle of hatred', and it'll keep on affecting the living, to make more and more 'losers'. So the real world requires as many a sacrifice as the moon's eye plan, and the sacrifices for real world keeps on going forever without ever letting the living live in peace, but in moon's eye plan, once its done the sacrifices will stop right there and the living will have peace. That is the difference.

    ---------- Post added at 02:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:49 AM ----------

    Before we continue this discussion any further, i believe its essential to make this point clear that it does not matter whether the 'perspective' i'm suggesting is right/sounding logical to you. What was the matter of discussion was that whether obito had turned cruel and selfish all on a sudden. Generally people here were suggesting that indeed he HAD to had become such a thing to commit the crimes that he did, which would've been an inconsistancy. I am only trying to show that there can be such a 'perspective' found which does not require us to assume that obito has turned cruel to do these things. And i believe i've presented with such a one. Whether that perspective is flawed or not is an entirely different discussion and not relevant here, because we are not discussing if obito's way is right or not, we're discussing whether obito's characterization is continuous or not. Since i've shown a possible perspective, a possible motive, which can drive a man like obito (good at heart but very very naive) to do what he's doing without requiring him to become cruel suddenly, it refutes that there's has been any inconsistancy in writing (rather there have been misinterpretation on readers' part as i mentioned before). In fact, the fact that obito left kakashi alive is a clear proof that he's not vengeful and cruel, and my interpretation of his motive is closer to canon than the popular one.

    ---------- Post added at 02:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:10 AM ----------

    And don't forget that obito had two death-reviving jutsus in his access, yet he did not revive rin and be content. That'd have been selfish, using those jutsus for his own personal wish. Instead he tried to use them for moon's eye plan, meaning that he honestly believes it to be the only way to save mankind...that's everyone, not just himself.

  15. #28
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member jalix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    1,245
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Blackjack612 Reviews Naruto 607 I Don't Care

    Kind of funny, but the name of this chapter and Obito's whole 'i give up on life' mantra reminded me of a Family Guy scene... in fact, here it is...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8l2bzyyKqg
    Last edited by jalix; October 31, 2012 at 03:51 PM.

  16. #29
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member badluckartist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    THE SCIENCEMOBILE!!
    Country
    United States
    Age
    25
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,874
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Blackjack612 Reviews Naruto 607 I Don't Care

    Quote Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
    all the harm he has done is nothing more than a wager on these two things. It's like trying force everybody into a "matrix-like" existence because he himself can't face the real world.
    I would have taken ninja Matrix with ninja robots that need human ninja to use jutsu as batteries over the current plot. Has anybody even stopped for a second to wonder just what the world will actually be like under the Moon's Eye? Will everybody on the planet just sit there in a genjutsu dream stupor until they die in the real world? Or is it supposed to be a shared genjutsu, judging from Madara in the last chapter? How the hell does that work? People would have to perform the genjutsu all on each other simultaneously for that to make any half-amount of sense, like with Sasuke and Itachi that one time.

    And even if everyone is just 'mind-controlled' away from 'badness', how will that work? And what the hell does it have to do with Tsukuyomi if its effect on the desired targets is more like Kotoamatsukami? GRARGHHH I NEED COFFEE

  17. #30
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Fox666's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Country
    Brazil
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,775
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Blackjack612 Reviews Naruto 607 I Don't Care

    I guess it would make wishes come true. Anything a person wants would become reality. Or at least is the only way it could work.
    Quote Originally Posted by IChallengeYou! View Post
    TOBI IS OBITO

    did you say something about timelines?! naruto ate it NOM NOM NOM IT'S GONE.

New Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts