Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by kewl0210 , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)
New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Why do some male characters look like females?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member futurefrog's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why do some male characters look like females?

Its well documented that Togashi has a fascination of what the nature of gender itself is and what exactly importance it has on who we are. I feel that Togashi believes that gender truly means nothing more than a means to reproduction and that the nature of being human far supersedes the notion of gender. What exactly it is that makes us human is more interesting to Togashi then what makes us male and what makes us female, because in his eyes male and female are not different, Togashi doesnt see gender, he sees humanity. It is something I have always found fascinating about his works, he often plays with the audience and their dependance upon gender to form a view of a character, I really dont even think about gender anymore with Togashi's work because he breaks down that wall and shows that its not about gender but about who these people ARE.

"If you want to understand someone, find out what makes them angry."

2. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member riniloves's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

I think this makes sense... why...
    and yeah I watch on red channel too that boys in ancient Japan where sold as prostitute too... and they are forced to wear womens clothing when some geezers wanted to experience a diiferent kind of service.... Even in some theatrical dance... Only males are allowed to act so the female part goes to the males...

so it must be cultural thing too...

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member GingFuriksu's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

What do you guys think of the overall art of HxH ? I personally enjoy it. Togashi's expressions are AMAZING and so is his shading. I'm asking because in a YouTube video people were saying that Togashi's art is the worst art of all time O.o Example

"yuyu art is mediocre for shonen standards , i can name countless shonens that have better art then yuyu ( one piece being oneof them ) and hxh art is shit , i don't even know how can you argue that its better since its probably has the shittest art in shonen to this day , old shonen that came out in 1930's or something has better art then hxh...."

If you guys want to read more go to this link and look at all the comments from ZoroFTW9. Mind you, he's a Piecetard : P

http://www.youtube.com/all_comments?v=psLkOxKSNIU

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member riniloves's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

That q, is otp but... anyway...
    There are many beautiful panels in hxh.....
    like this...

that for me is plain beauty...

so detailed....
    I think the panels after GI on-wards are product of Togashi's lazyness....

This is how he draw

6. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member chei's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GingFuriksu View Post
    What do you guys think of the overall art of HxH ? I personally enjoy it. Togashi's expressions are AMAZING and so is his shading. I'm asking because in a YouTube video people were saying that Togashi's art is the worst art of all time O.o Example

"yuyu art is mediocre for shonen standards , i can name countless shonens that have better art then yuyu ( one piece being oneof them ) and hxh art is shit , i don't even know how can you argue that its better since its probably has the shittest art in shonen to this day , old shonen that came out in 1930's or something has better art then hxh...."

If you guys want to read more go to this link and look at all the comments from ZoroFTW9. Mind you, he's a Piecetard : P

I LOVE Togashi's art, his drawings is effortless, dynamic and fluid.

(for me something like One Piece is just craftsmanship, stylized but technical and predictable, every pages look the same)

Standard shounen whatever:

His art for later YYH is some of the best he's ever drawn. While he does get 'economic' (copy & paste) and sloppy in HxH, but man the storytelling thru his framing and sequence is just top notch -- effective, cinematic, VERY interesting composition...he's master level to me.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member SHINOBI-03's Avatar
    Country
    Dubai
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GingFuriksu View Post

I see Togashi's style as a somewhat updated take on the retro style that was used back in the 80s and 90s. And from my view since it looks out of place next to the modern "hip" art style then it's obviously gonna look dated and bad. Look at Hell Teacher Nube (1993) for an example. Doesn't it look a little bit to what Togashi use?
    Spoiler show

Here's another example of a manga from the 80s (Don't know what's the name)

I'm also gonna put this for the heck of it
    Spoiler show

The other reason why they think it's bad is of course they read the unfinished manuscripts that are published in the magazines and don't bother to look at the refined artwork. And when we tell them that they still bash Togashi for being lazy compared to the big regulars.

This current generation of manga readers are spoiled I tell ya. If it's not super detailed then it's sh!t....

---

And going back to topic and still connect it to what I just wrote, look at Sasuke from Sasuke (1969)

He looks like a girl with his cute face and eyelashes, but he's still a boy. Wasn't this how little boys were drawn back then?

And need I mention Astro Boy? He looks a little girlish too with his big eyes, rosy cheeks and eyelashes.

9. Like 4 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member futurefrog's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Togashi is a beautiful artist that uses a variety of techniques that he learnt over his near 30 years as a mangaka.
    One thing that Togashi does that really stands out to me is how he paces out the highly detailed art interspersed by more simplistic.
    Think for example of Netero's Nen Abilities, the money shot here:

He understands the importance of art like that, it highlights something. If every panel was like that, it wouldnt be special anymore. He creates unforgettable imagery by not blowing his load in every panel. He makes panels such as the one above SPECIAL and for that we remember such panels, they become ingrained into our mind and stay with us long after we have finished reading the chapter. Who could forgot the image of Chrollo conducting the requiem as he overlooks the burning city of Yorknew? It is images such as that that trascend being simply a panel of manga and becoming a work of art.

Togashi understands how to have readers on the edge of their seats and build atmosphere and he does so incredibly well with his mix of simple art and highly detailed masterpieces.
    Last edited by futurefrog; October 28, 2012 at 06:21 PM.

"If you want to understand someone, find out what makes them angry."

11. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Uriel's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

When I find the thread that it was meant to talk about Togashi art I'll move all the posts. Meanwhile just stay ontopic.

I mean, I know it's related but...gosh, DON'T FORCE IT.
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames
    looks like the entrance to hell
    'Perfect', the captain said.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Cinnabar's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kindredxiuxiu View Post
    I think Kikyo is upset she doesn't have any girls, so she dresses Kalluto like one. And I don't think even the Zoldycks know what Alluka's gender is (maybe it doesn't have one).
    This.

This has been my headcanon for the longest time. YOU CAN'T CONVINCE ME OTHERWISE unless you're Togashi.

Quote Originally Posted by Uriel View Post
    When I find the thread that it was meant to talk about Togashi art I'll move all the posts. Meanwhile just stay ontopic.

I mean, I know it's related but...gosh, DON'T FORCE IT.
    Uriel to the rescue!

New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2