Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/22/14 - 9/28/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 761 by cnet128 , Bleach 597 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: One Piece: Should I continue the series, or is it too late....?

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner BeyondAnother's Avatar
    Country
    Dragonstone
    Post Thanks / Like

Frown One Piece: Should I continue the series, or is it too late....?

Warning: CRITICAL

People are going to absolutely hate me for saying/asking this, but idfk here I go. WHE THE HELL IS SO GREAT ABOUT ONE PIECE?? Or maybe it's just me?.... Mmmm. Nope.

First off, I've watched it a long time ago. Wasn't crazy about the art, storyline seems sensible and great, but it's SO popular? I might start watching it again. I have a feeling I'm missing out, honestly. I want to get into it again. Tell me what's so unique about it? Somebody fill me in a bit.
    Last edited by goldb; December 09, 2013 at 08:29 PM.
    <a href=http://m.imgur.com/account/PurpleMistyRain/images/ZzFmP6S target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://m.imgur.com/account/PurpleMis...images/ZzFmP6S</a>

"Burnin' bridges one by one, descending closer to the sun"

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member MrCristian's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: One Piece: Should I continue the series, or is it too late....?

One word: Unpredictable. You expect something to happen and Oda brings you something totally different.
    This is mostly what keeps me going, plus the urge to see what happens next.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

First thing, if you're picky in your readings/watching I would recommand the books over the anime. In the few hours l've watched it, the anime is plagued with average art (not Oda quality at least), filler episodes, lengths, and cheap animation. It definitely isn't one of the best products out there. The books, however...

What makes One Piece unique to me is that it stands out among other shonen productions as a story that can be enjoyed by adults, as opposed to stories such as Bleach or Naruto that will feel dramatically poor to any audience above 14 that are more geared towards chldren. While not the greatest storyteller on the planet, Oda has definitely matured over the years and thoroughly built a consistent universe that's still full of mysteries after a decade of ongoing publication. There's rarely anything gratuitous or random in the plot, there is a deeper story that slowly unravels in the background, and the series comes up with real plot twists and socio-political themes that sometimes parallel our own world. One Piece isn't merely about the Powerhouse Fight Club destroying mountains: this world has citizens with mundane everyday lives, and it's seeing the actual impact of the main story on them that makes it great in my eye. As a bonus, Oda has so far managed to avoid some of the most cliched quirks of shonen - no resurrection, no arms race that makes old protagonists obsolete and causes new ones to pop up out of nowhere, no simplistic display of power levels... It's still a shonen manga - straightforward honest hero of superhuman strength who fights against Evil guys and is friends with everyone and their sister (if you're into gritty settings and morally ambiguous characters à la Eden, then this series definitely isn't for you) - but fed to the reader with an icing that makes this cake feel special.

There is also, and I think Oda's greatest talent lies there, the pacing of mystery, hints, anticipation, and revelation. Many readers around here are hooked out of sheer curiousity and wanting to know what comes next.

Another aspect that I personnaly enjoy - not everyone does - is that as a story, One Piece doesn't take itself seriously. The main character is a simple-minded idiot with a big heart who can act loony in the most dire situation ; many characters, including villains, have some humourous character quirks and/or grotesque traits that makes their design feel unique - which makes the "normal" ones stand out even more ; the childish depiction of the younger characters - their total admiration of big robots and laser beams especially - is spot-on and hilarious...

I could go on for a while, but time is scarce. Long story short : while not in my top ten list of "Must Read comic books", One Piece is still incredibly better than any teenage shonen I've read, so if you're into the genre it's definitely worth a shot. Just hang tightly through the first 10 volumes or so, as the early parts of the story definitely do not have the caliber of the recent ones.
    Last edited by Seafarer; December 09, 2013 at 03:40 AM.

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 4 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

If you didn't like the Water 7-Enies Lobby arc (arguably the best arc, in my factual opinion), then chances are you won't like the manga or really get into it anyway. If you haven't read the arc yet, I'd suggest you do so after reading the end of the Davy Back mini-arc.

Personally, I like the manga because of its humor and the Straw Hat crew. They all add so much to the story and to the crew, there's no uselessness there. Usopp's role in Enies Lobby near the end and even Chopper's role throughout prove that. Granted, without the humor this manga wouldn't be worth much. I also love the theme of nakama, as well as the adventures they have.

When you get to the second part of Part I, you'll find that the world of One Piece has expanded so much, and Oda just continues expanding that world, making it even more interesting. Personally, I'd say to pick up reading it and continue. Again though, if you didn't like the Water 7-Enies Lobby arc, then you probably won't enjoy the manga. Fishman Island arc is definitely an arc best enjoyed in a batch or one go. Marineford War can get annoying with its double pages as well.

---------- Post added at 03:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:04 AM ----------

Quote Quote:
    What makes One Piece unique to me is that it stands out among other shonen productions as a story that can be enjoyed by adults, as opposed to Bleach or Naruto that will feel dramatically poor to any audience above 14.
    Naruto Part I could easily be enjoyed by adults as well. It's just Part II, or at least the last few arcs, have become more geared towards kids, though there have been some gory elements.

One can't claim One Piece can be enjoyed by adults while Naruto can't, when One Piece has a more immature tone. Of course, adults can enjoy the Big 3 as well.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M3J View Post
    Naruto Part I could easily be enjoyed by adults as well. It's just Part II, or at least the last few arcs, have become more geared towards kids, though there have been some gory elements.

One can't claim One Piece can be enjoyed by adults while Naruto can't, when One Piece has a more immature tone. Of course, adults can enjoy the Big 3 as well.
    You're right, that was a hasty judgement. A better phrasing of my earlier statement would be to say that over the years, One Piece has evolved to follow the changing expectations of growing readers in a way that satisfies my needs. Whereas the other two continued to catter to the same target audience / evolved in a different direction that does not interest me anymore, and I stopped liking them as a consequence.

7. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member StrawHat 13's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, I never actually attempted to explain why OP is so amazing and now I'm finding it difficult to put into words, but I think the one thing that stands out the most for me is the incredible depth the story has surrounding the mysteries at its core. Yet when you begin reading OP these mysteries that drive a substantial amount of the plot are not even the main focus. Its not until later in the series, as you become more familiar with the OP world and the characters, do you find yourself more and more consumed(hooked) by wanting to see the curtain pulled back on all of these huge question marks. The interesting dynamic that is created by Oda is that he introduces and builds the story around a crew who is just as ignorant of the reasoning behind these mysteries as the reader him/herself. As a result of this, at least for me, there is a certain investment you have in the crew as you read-and its this...adhering(bond) you feel to this fictional crew and their efforts to succeed in an unknown world that drive the popularity of OP.

9. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Razh's Avatar
    Country
    Croatia
    Post Thanks / Like

One of the things Oda does better than anyone else, in my opinion, is world creation. You have a world that feels large, with parts and characters that seems to be living a life of their own when not shown on panels. Each island is unique, with it's own landmarks and unique climate conditions. Everyone seems to grow and develop, good guys as well as villains. Almost every character is given some kind of personality quirk, which makes all of them rememberable. There are cover story arcs to show what's going on with characters we've met in the story after SH moved on.

Naruto, for example, is based on 5 big ninja countries. Entire Bleach takes place in SS, Karakura town and Hueco Mundo. When you compare them with a big world with unique setting, where there are 3-4 powerful forces with plenty on intricacies in between, they just look small. So yeah, that open world feeling is one of my favourite things.

I'm sure your opening post will look funny to you once you turn into an OP junkie.
    Last edited by Razh; December 09, 2013 at 05:26 AM.

Heh
    Prediction: Dragon will appear on Fishman Island!
    Challenge Gilferbeast!!!

(thank you pupil "fuck you razh" -> made me lol)

11. Like 5 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member FetherMan's Avatar
    Country
    South Africa
    Post Thanks / Like

For me personally, I only got into One Piece about 3-4 years ago. I believe, it was around the time Brook was introduced during the "Thriller Bark Arc". I was reading One Piece beforehand and wasn't too impressed with it in the beginning stages (circa 1999-2001). I was however, drawn into the One Piece world after track backing a few story arcs and really became interested in what would become of Luffy's great adventure in gathering all these allies and at the same time facing off against the World Government and other rivaling pirates. Plus, I was never into Pirates, but Oda has a way of making pirates interesting and more than your traditional outlooks.

The big moment for me, is when Oda started getting more into the Yonkou, Whitebeard and the forces of the Marines (Admirals and so forth) and the challenges that Luffy and crew will have to face.

Besides that, I would continue to read One Piece and if you aren't completely familiar with the entire series, back track like i did and get a bigger perspective of the series itself and where it's going to end up. That's what works for me at least.

13. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member ladylola's Avatar
    Country
    Casterly Rock
    Post Thanks / Like

I kinda understand how you feel.I watched the first season of OP years ago and wasn't hooked up. Like you said the art isn't one of the best, but what I didn't like about it is it felt childish in a way. Then this year I started watching the anime again and reading the manga, and I think I really got hooked up around the Alabasta arc. The manga got more serious with all that story about the Void century, Ancient weapons etc.And then there was Enies Lobby etc. I feel the work matured with time, which is good.So if you haven't liked the early parts of the manga don't worry it gets better.
    I don't know what makes OP so special. I guess it's because it's completely random. It looks like the author is just writing the story chapter after chapter, and no matter how hard we try to predict his next move he always comes up with a better version. Ironically some things have been planned from the beginning, and were only revealed lately.Not just that but things that we might think are insignificant at first become very important later.Oda likes to tease us, and he's been doing it since chapter 1.
    Of course there's a possibility that you won't like OP. I feel it's one of these manga that you can either love or hate.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Bellamy's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey mate.

I'm 21 years old.
    I discovered One Piece when I was around 12. I always liked Pirates, the universe around this particular theme. What Oda accomplished is a master-piece, simply because he successfully managed to mix the old-school piracy style and references to his very own imagination, which is enormous, rich and funny.

At first, I thought that the art was very simple. Almost too simple, but yet effective imo. But don't get repelled if you don't find it pleasant. There is one really important thing that people tend to forget. It's an old manga, and his author trully improved his drawings.
    Let me show an example : http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/5...tionop2lp8.jpg

The beginning of One Piece is classic typical shonen. Same as Bleach, Fairy Tail, Naruto, etc...
    But the thing get really interisting quickly, because of one inside theme who is the core of the manga : Nakamas.
    It means friends. Even more. Family.
    I've read a lot of stories, a lot of mangas, but sincerely, I've never felt this concept as accomplished as it is in One Piece.
    The crew is just foreigners, but they become a family thanks to their respective dreams. They will cross the most dangerous seas, encounter the worse villains, and find some other people that they will help gladly, or even propose them to join the crew.
    To me, One Piece is the ultimate balance of action, humor & emotion that a shonen can provide. Like Dragon Ball was. But it is more than simple fights here.
    Oda includes in his story several themes of human history like slavery, political corruption, war, drugs, greed of power, censorship, justice...

It delivers in the end a complete and diversified world who seems so real... so intriguing ! A world where you want to go, to live, and to join the crew of Monkey D. Luffy (or others captains, there is plenty of them !) in order to experiment the different meanings of life in an incredible adventure, an epic journey.

One Piece is the ONLY manga that made me cry my ass out, laugh my ass off, and cheers me up like nothing else in a single chapter/volume. The characters have strong personnalities, there are so many, and it's not a mess. It's well constructed, in other words. And yes, I'm a sensitive guy, but I think that One Piece delivers feelings that normally I would only feel in seinen like Gantz, Berserk, Vagabond, and not even all the feelings I quoted. Seinens are freaking exciting, brutal and exhilarating, but once again, they don't bring joy to my heart like One Piece does. Yeah, One Piece includes all those feels in one piece. Dem feels.

More than delivers some strong messages like the importance of friendship, the meaning of having a family, having dreams, having strong roots, goals, etc... One Piece allows people to connect like I've never seen before.
    7 years ago, I discovered the very first french forum RP about One Piece. I met some people as passionate as me about the manga, and eventually we became friends. Strong friends. Like nakamas. I even met my best friend there. It's just... crazy what a manga can do. And I believe it is possible because One Piece contains so many things you can talk about, so many things you feel passionate about, bounded, moved. Hard stories but happy endings. And I never founded that the stories related were cheesy or anything.

One day, I got tired of One Piece though. Why ? Because I felt Oda stepped on the characters I love the most. I stopped reading One Piece during... I would say, 4 months ?
    Well, I felt the miss like a junkie, and when I decided to return and read where I stopped, I was so happy and relieved... That shows how strong you can feel close to certain characters, like when you cry in a show because your favorite character died, something like that. And it also feels like a neverrending story. When some are complaining that it's too long, I'm just so glad that the story will go on during many years.

Whatever, sorry for all the faults. I decided to write what I think right away, without thinking, so you can read what my heart feels.

My advice to you is to read the manga until, at least, Arlong Park. In the same time, watch the anime. There is a lot of bad critics about it but I personnaly enjoy every minute of it (even some fillers, yes !). But the music, man... the seiyuu... some scenes are drawed perfectly !!! So that, when you read the manga, you will have the awesome musics in your head, haha !
    If you don't like at all Arlong Park, continue until Alabasta.
    Then, don't hesitate to come with us and share your opinion, maybe you will became as passionate as I am today, who knows.
    But one thing is certain... I would give A LOT, A LOT of things to be able to experiment again those days when I discovered for the first time One Piece.
    Every new chapter is a treat though, and it's even really good to just re-read all the story until the beginning, so...

Enjoy !
    Last edited by Bellamy; December 09, 2013 at 10:25 AM.
    Bellamy for Next Nakama ?

16. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member R3D's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

one word : luffy ... that baka is too funny that hes makes you want to join his crew

and the characters arent overpowered and dont get ridiculous power ups and this manga makes rubber powers look cool lol

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member hoeru's Avatar
    Country
    Mauritius
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BeyondAnother View Post
    People are going to absolutely hate me for saying/asking this, but idfk here I go. WHE THE HELL IS SO GREAT ABOUT ONE PIECE?? Or maybe it's just me?.... Mmmm. Nope.

First off, I've watched it a long time ago. Wasn't crazy about the art, storyline seems sensible and great, but it's SO popular? I might start watching it again. I have a feeling I'm missing out, honestly. I want to get into it again. Tell me what's so unique about it? Somebody fill me in a bit.

Warning: CRITICAL
    To be honest, if you start that way, it's probably best if you stop without discussing any further.

It's always a bad idea to start following something out of the reason you'd miss some hype instead of you're convinced that you're reading something that enjoys you (and no one but you).

One Piece is currently the manga standard in Japan selling way over 300 million volumes for the time it has run, and more than 10 million alone in 2013. The TV show is one of the shounen adaptions with best tv ratings. And most of those readers and watchers are enjoying it out of several reasons that we all could elaborate. But would any of them convince you?

You'll have to find out yourself.

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Seafarer View Post
    You're right, that was a hasty judgement. A better phrasing of my earlier statement would be to say that over the years, One Piece has evolved to follow the changing expectations of growing readers in a way that satisfies my needs. Whereas the other two continued to catter to the same target audience / evolved in a different direction that does not interest me anymore, and I stopped liking them as a consequence.
    This sounds much more accurate. Although IMO the quality of story declined after the timeskip, it's still good and I consider it above the quality of Naruto and Bleach nowadays.

I remember starting to read the manga around when the month-long hiatus started (Kaiten should remember) and about an arc or two in, I was hooked. Mainly because it was simple and like most typical shounen, all about friendship and beating the bad guys. Then the plot started getting more complex and as Seafarer said, One Piece evolved. Now, the world of One PIece is freakin' huge, and I love it.

Although I used art as an excuse not to read, it was half-assed excuse. Truth is, the art was and is perfect for One Piece and what Oda is trying to do. Not to mention, the art evolved and got better (IMO), which I can't say the same for Naruto. Oda keeps his style, but shows maturity in his style, if that makes sense. I dunno about anime though.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member The Red Dog's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

First off: never buy the hype! it creates high expectations. Just read the story & see for yourself

Why is it so popular ? Well simple storyline, simple characters( most of them are simpletons) with no psychology involved. Most of the guys on the forum predict this manga very well.

It's easy to follow. One Piece is the perfect recipe of pop corn entertainment where you put you brain on auto pilot. Yes it has indeniable quality like World building & Leveling, the universe it's set on is original(piratry & stuff)

Quote Quote:
    because of one inside theme who is the core of the manga : Nakamas.
    It means friends. Even more. Family.
    This is the same old tired thematic of the shonen genre- friendship and other BS. To me the conception of justice among the various characters is more interesting_even there Oda came way short. He never expanded the field of the values of absolute justice doctrine adepts. They're usually mad dogs hiding under the marine coat & pretense of protecting the blind century. Just should wait & see,
    Spoiler: plot spoiler show

Quote Quote:
    To me, One Piece is the ultimate balance of action, humor & emotion that a shonen can provide. Like Dragon Ball was. But it is more than simple fights here.
    Dragon Ball revolutionized the shonen genre. Unlike OP who's done nothing for it.

Quote Quote:
    Oda includes in his story several themes of human history like slavery, political corruption, war, drugs, greed of power, censorship, justice...
    Oda quickly brush those themes off the table, there're plot devices in order for the strawhats to come in & save the day(again...)

Quote Quote:
    And yes, I'm a sensitive guy, but I think that One Piece delivers feelings that normally I would only feel in seinen like Gantz, Berserk, Vagabond, and not even all the feelings I quoted. Seinens are freaking exciting, brutal and exhilarating, but once again, they don't bring joy to my heart like One Piece does. Yeah, One Piece includes all those feels in one piece. Dem feels.
    Interesting. Maybe adults like you & me try by reading manga to "escape" more or less reality. That would a beginning of answer of why is it popular among 20s-30s.Certain Seinen may be a bit too close to reality with their flawed characters & deepness...

Quote Quote:
    The TV show is one of the shounen adaptions with best tv ratings.
    Surprising indeed considering that there is more action in the opening & recap of OP than in an entire episode itself.

Quote Quote:
    One Piece is currently the manga standard in Japan selling way over 300 million volumes for the time it has run, and more than 10 million alone in 2013
    This sustain the point of Oda successfully creating a merchandizable story.
    Last edited by Akainu; December 09, 2013 at 04:32 PM.
    Zettai-Teki Seigi/Absolute Justice

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Jabman's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

My friend, I was in the same boat as you. Actually I thought One piece was bad and maybe for simple minded people that were easily entertained. Up until recently I had this opinion about One piece. Let me just say this as a person who completely understands you. I saw episode 1-621 (forcing myself through the first 200 episodes. But boy was it worth it. The last 400 episodes does a great job of tieying and story telling all aspects in the first 200 that you end up saying the whole show is a masterpiece.

You say you tried 'watching' and that is why I am also referring to the anime. The manga on the other hand makes the anime total crap at times.

New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast