Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 600 (2) , Gintama 514 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply

Thread: Kara no Kyoukai

4-Star Loli-Hunter 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Skyguardian's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Kara no Kyoukai

Kara no Kyoukai

Plot Summery:

Mikiya Kokutō becomes intrigued by the mysterious series of violent deaths occurring in his town and Shiki Ryōgi, a beautiful but unsociable girl. As he tries to become closer to Shiki, he realizes that Shiki is connected to the mysterious deaths and that the supernatural forces involved with both could kill him. It is revealed that in Shiki's family, certain members of her family possess two distinct personalities, both aware and conscious of one another, but possessing different qualities. The dual consciousness, and Shiki's upbringing as a demon hunter, has caused her to reject other human beings.
    However, upon meeting Mikiya, she gradually finds happiness through their relationship and a schism develops between her two personalities. As a result, she winds up in a traffic accident and is left in a coma for two years. When she awakens, she finds herself unable to connect her past memories to her current identity. Reunited with Mikiya, now employed as an investigator for Tōko Aozaki, Shiki assists Tōko's detective agency, Garan no Dou, whenever combat is required, while struggling to come to terms with her identity.

(Source: Wikipedia)

Alternative Title: Garden of Sinners
    Movies: 7
    Aired: Dec, 2007 to Aug, 2009
    Producers: Aniplex, ufotable, Kodansha, Aniplex of AmericaL, Notes
    Genres: Action, Mystery, Supernatural, Thriller

2. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    4-Star Loli-Hunter 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Skyguardian's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Kara no Kyoukai

Started with the first movie today and I'm pretty confused...

The OST is outstanding and the animation quality was really nice. Shiki is a nice (Tsun :3) heroine with interesting fighting abilities...
    Her boss Touko is a very deep character because she anwers every question pretty philosophical.

Now to the confusing parts...

Shiki has the ability to see ghosts and is able to destroy them with some weird power. Furthermore she has an artificial puppet arm which Touko made for her. I wonder why she is able to use such powers...

If I got this right people who are very depressed are able to escape their body and can exist as spriritual creatures which are able to possess empty vessels? It was pretty interesting how the culprit could possess so many young kills and made them kill themselfs...

His whole story was about flying and floating... If you just float you have no purpose but if you're able to fly you did it?

I'm still very confused... looking forward to the other movies!

---------- Post added at 08:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 PM ----------

Aaaaaaaaaaaaand I forgot to mention a few things... Sky no Baka...

The Overlooking View:

Everything looks awesome if you look at it from far above...
    Which is sad for the culprit because she was blind and couldn't see the nice view she had...
    She died like she wanted to... Still. It doesn't really justify the murder of several young girls...
    Though it was kinda frightening how casual the news reported about those suicides?

The beginning:
    The dragonfly trying to catch the butterfly... I didn't really get that... Shikis friend (forgot his name) talked about the weird dream he had... But I guess it wasn't a dream... Kirie took him away I guess that is what his "dream" was about...

4. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity MiyamotoMusashi's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Just to clear a few things up first before moving on to the themes which are heavily influences by Taoism by the way, i will have to post a much longer post for that one

The simple outline is pretty much this

Spoiler show

Basic characterization of the introduced characters:

Pretty much 3 main characters, Touko, Mikiya and of course Shiki.
    Touko, like i said before, is pretty much omnipotent. She knows most things and is, all in all, already a finished character (we will see later on why). She has an agency and both Shiki and Mikiya work for her.
    Mikiya is somewhat an idealistic character (also more revealed later on) not necessarily because he has idealistic views but rather he is portrayed as the type of person that everyone should aim to be or to be similar to (keyword dragonfly).
    Shiki is somewhat dependent on Mikiya while the latter is somewhat detached, at least a little bit. You could say that there are a few early signs for her being in love with him, though she herself would never see it that way.
    She is compared to strawberry (the analogy is nice btw which shows Mikiya´s intelligence)
    which appears to be sweet and cute but actually belongs to the rose group, thus prickly and dangerous. Furthermore, Shiki is empty which will also be explained later on. Finally, she is interested in fighting and even in death itself.

6. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH Senpai 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations for starting Kara no Kyoukai! Much like you the first few episodes were confusing. The episodes are not based on timeline, so you'll have to see later episodes to fill in missing pieces of the puzzle. XD

Wrecking Ball 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Doraku's Avatar
    Country
    Liberia
    Post Thanks / Like

I''ve been waiting for the new movie to come out. Glad that you started it, Sky, when I watched the whole movie series, I got struck by some sort of Anime-zen moment several times .

The timeline is kinda dizzying-ly complex, but I hope that wouldn't turn you off.

Custom Title 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Darjaille's Avatar
    Country
    Slovakia
    Post Thanks / Like

So gonna rewatch tonite :3

I fell in love with the series already in movie 1, I loved the "slow" scenes, when it was just a view of the city, it was quiet and... ahh the melancholy! ;~; But yeah, I was rather confused as well, as everyone.

ex oriente lux

New Reply